What's the next fish you're getting?

Crispii

Member
Probably one more altum angel if I see one in the tank by itself. However, I really want to keep a pleco in my altum tank, mainly L240.
 
  • Thread Starter

jinjerJOSH22

Member
Crispii said:
Probably one more altum angel if I see one in the tank by itself. However, I really want to keep a pleco in my altum tank, mainly L240.
Pretty Pleco, I was browsing Plecos today on the web, I thought about a L046 Zebra Pleco but they need 86f+ too warm for any of my tanks.

trinity28 said:
Ooo fun!
Bolivian Rams
Pearl Gourami
Platies
Rummynose Tetras
Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish
plus some kind of Corydora I haven't decided on yet
There's so many Cories to choose from, maybe "too" many
 

vyrille

Member
I'm looking for more panda garra to accompany my lone one. and maybe some sort of filter shrimp. and maybe some kuhlis while I'm at it. Still deciding on what to do with the 55 gallon I have running, so there
 

PascalKrypt

Member
Let's make this thread a recurring thing! Gush about purchases to be.
Oh and do post pictures of what you got!

Jealous about the snakeskins, I've yet to see those at an LFS.
On my current list (though most designated tanks are still in the set-up phase, so not sure how soon they will be bagged)
- Chocolate Gourami x5
- Liqorice Gourami pair (will have to specially request these, and then make a choice which ones! Three species currently available)
- KuhlI x4 (need more to round out my existing group, but most of them I see share tanks will ill or poor looking fish and I don't want to run risks with scaleless fish that are hard to solo QT without making them more ill)
- Cardinal tetra x2 (I feel like the school I have is *just* a tad too small for them to be truly comfortable)

Tentative as in, definitely will get, but not yet decided on timeline, tank, etc.
- African Butterfly Fish
- Aphyosemion Australe pair
- Apistogramma AgassizzI fire red

Not sure why all my obsessions start with an A?

And not a fish, but I need to replace my barclaya. It is my favourite aquatic plant and was thriving in my main tank, but it suddenly died a few months ago for unclear reasons. Still sad about it, time for a new one!
 
  • Thread Starter

jinjerJOSH22

Member
PascalKrypt said:
Let's make this thread a recurring thing! Gush about purchases to be.
Oh and do post pictures of what you got!

Jealous about the snakeskins, I've yet to see those at an LFS.
On my current list (though most designated tanks are still in the set-up phase, so not sure how soon they will be bagged)
- Chocolate Gourami x5
- Liqorice Gourami pair (will have to specially request these, and then make a choice which ones! Three species currently available)
- KuhlI x4 (need more to round out my existing group, but most of them I see share tanks will ill or poor looking fish and I don't want to run risks with scaleless fish that are hard to solo QT without making them more ill)
- Cardinal tetra x2 (I feel like the school I have is *just* a tad too small for them to be truly comfortable)

Tentative as in, definitely will get, but not yet decided on timeline, tank, etc.
- African Butterfly Fish
- Aphyosemion Australe pair
- Apistogramma AgassizzI fire red

Not sure why all my obsessions start with an A?

And not a fish, but I need to replace my barclaya. It is my favourite aquatic plant and was thriving in my main tank, but it suddenly died a few months ago for unclear reasons. Still sad about it, time for a new one!
The place i'm going is a Maidenhead Aquatics, one that's a bit further than my local but it's bigger and better. They had Snakeskin, Sparkling, a bunch of different Three Spot colours and previously had Liquorice and Chocolate Gourami, it was heaven. Not to mention the amount of Cory variety.
I too will make sure to get Kuhli's, i've had 2 for who knows how long, I keep forgetting about them lol.
I'll be sure to post pics, by the 9th i'm going.
 

Momgoose56

Member
A whole 125 full of different schools of rainbowfish, and 2 or 3 groups of Cory's. In my DREAMS. My water is only good for marine, brackish or African Cichlids!
 

PascalKrypt

Member
Momgoose56 said:
A whole 125 full of different schools of rainbowfish, and 2 or 3 groups of Cory's. In my DREAMS. My water is only good for marine, brackish or African Cichlids!
Now I'm curious, how bad is it?

jinjerJOSH22 said:
The place i'm going is a Maidenhead Aquatics, one that's a bit further than my local but it's bigger and better. They had Snakeskin, Sparkling, a bunch of different Three Spot colours and previously had Liquorice and Chocolate Gourami, it was heaven. Not to mention the amount of Cory variety.
I too will make sure to get Kuhli's, i've had 2 for who knows how long, I keep forgetting about them lol.
I'll be sure to post pics, by the 9th i'm going.
Awesome Keep us posted! How far is it?
And those poor kuhli's Though my small group seems to be doing fine in a small tank with lots of surface cover, all confident and stuff, despite their lack of numbers and their dwarf cichlid tankmate (in fact they seem to boss over the cichlid instead of the other way around, bit peculiar).

Going to a convention soon, no one idea what I find there but if I end up bringing something home, I'll report here Secretly hoping they'll have liqorice gourami or wild betta, but I'm doubtful.
 

Momgoose56

Member
PascalKrypt said:
Now I'm curious, how bad is it?
pH 8.2, dKH 7 (60), dGH 16 (300). It's desert water. Squeezed from cactus and stone!
Livebearers and bettas and a few others do fine. One species of Cory do okay and I've had clown loaches and kissing gouramis and a couple species of rainbowfish. Giant Danios do okay also. There are actually plenty of fish that do okay in this water, just not the ones I want lol!
 
  • Thread Starter

jinjerJOSH22

Member
PascalKrypt said:
Now I'm curious, how bad is it?


Awesome Keep us posted! How far is it?
And those poor kuhli's Though my small group seems to be doing fine in a small tank with lots of surface cover, all confident and stuff, despite their lack of numbers and their dwarf cichlid tankmate (in fact they seem to boss over the cichlid instead of the other way around, bit peculiar).

Going to a convention soon, no one idea what I find there but if I end up bringing something home, I'll report here Secretly hoping they'll have liqorice gourami or wild betta, but I'm doubtful.
It's a 40 min drive there but it's tough when you don't drive
My Kuhli's are the same, I see them out and about and they don't seem too stressed. They're in with my EBA and Moonlight Gourami neither give them a second glance.
 

jake37

Member
I have 2 fishes on my buy list and one on my wish list:
kubotaI loach - lfs hasn't had any the past 6 months but they tell me they will occasionally show up.
pearl-scale platinum angelfish (one day I'll take a road trip in search of these)
-
zebra pleco is on a wish list - i'm not going to pay $246 for one - they are now being captive bred so maybe eventually they will drop to a more reasonable price. Btw for jinjerJOSH22 I believe 86 is the top of their temp range and 80-86 range seems to make them temp compatible with angels, rams as well as cardinal and other tetra.
--
Thinking of pleco I did grab a flash pleco for $9 about 6 weeks ago - this is an interesting fish. Mine is a bit shy but over-time is becoming human friendly. I currently have it in a 29 but I guess when it grows up I'll need to move it to a larger tank. They stay small like bn pleco but not super small like zebra or clown pleco. I personally prefer large tanks with smallish fish.
-
I'm not sure I would get another bn pleco given some of the interesting pleco out there - now if someone would sell some zebra pleco for $9....
-
Another fish i'm interested in is king tetra. Our lfs has not had these in a healthy state yet. They seem to get them in once every 8 weeks or so but the ones they get tend to die before they leave the lfs.
 
  • Thread Starter

jinjerJOSH22

Member
The sites i've looked at say 86 min up to 89, I honestly don't know much about them other than they are beautiful and stay relatively small. We can get them in the uk for about £90, I couldn't justify spending that much on a fish, well at the moment
jake37 said:
I have 2 fishes on my buy list and one on my wish list:
kubotaI loach - lfs hasn't had any the past 6 months but they tell me they will occasionally show up.
pearl-scale platinum angelfish (one day I'll take a road trip in search of these)
-
zebra pleco is on a wish list - i'm not going to pay $246 for one - they are now being captive bred so maybe eventually they will drop to a more reasonable price. Btw for jinjerJOSH22 I believe 86 is the top of their temp range and 80-86 range seems to make them temp compatible with angels, rams as well as cardinal and other tetra.
--
Thinking of pleco I did grab a flash pleco for $9 about 6 weeks ago - this is an interesting fish. Mine is a bit shy but over-time is becoming human friendly. I currently have it in a 29 but I guess when it grows up I'll need to move it to a larger tank. They stay small like bn pleco but not super small like zebra or clown pleco. I personally prefer large tanks with smallish fish.
-
I'm not sure I would get another bn pleco given some of the interesting pleco out there - now if someone would sell some zebra pleco for $9....
-
Another fish i'm interested in is king tetra. Our lfs has not had these in a healthy state yet. They seem to get them in once every 8 weeks or so but the ones they get tend to die before they leave the lfs.
 

SinisterCichlids

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Pretty Pleco, I was browsing Plecos today on the web, I thought about a L046 Zebra Pleco but they need 86f+ too warm for any of my tanks.


There's so many Cories to choose from, maybe "too" many
Zebra Plecos are fine in 78 degrees F. 86 is the very high end.

For my mbuna tank: super red top hongI and a Maison reef would really finish the tank off. For my peacock/hap tank, I really want another lemon jake, some more OB's, and dragon bloods! Ugh its too hard having self-control and not buying the entire lfs.
 

MissNoodle

Member
Getting 3 of these this month to add to the new 20 gallon community set up I got coming. Maybe. I'm still juggling options. But so far...


Thinking 3 boys. I got a handful of female livebearers as it is, so adding more females may get me in over my head with babies. Got girl platies and mollies who spit out plenty of babies as it is.

Plus going to add 2 more snails (mystery or apple, let's see what the store ends up giving me hahaha last mystery I bought ended up being an apple snail that eats all my plants)

(While researching ive fallen in love with kubotaI rasbora, wasp catfish, and the idea of adding a second farlowella, but alas I'm all stocked or the current set ups aren't ideal for these options)

But seriously, wasp catfish
If I had the space left in my 46 for yet another bottom feeder... lol
 
  • Thread Starter

jinjerJOSH22

Member
MissNoodle said:
Getting 3 of these this month to add to the new 20 gallon community set up I got coming.


Thinking 3 boys. I got a handful of female livebearers as it is, so adding more females may get me in over my head with babies. Got girl platies and mollies who spit out plenty of babies as it is.

Plus going to add 2 more snails (mystery or apple, let's see what the store ends up giving me hahaha last mystery I bought ended up being an apple snail that eats all my plants)

(While researching ive fallen in love with kubotaI rasbora, wasp catfish, and the idea of adding a second farlowella, but alas I'm all stocked or the current set ups aren't ideal for these options)

But seriously, wasp catfish
If I had the space left in my 46 for yet another bottom feeder... lol
That's a cool catfish

I'm glad I got my Farlowella, an impulse buy that I don't regret
20191101_090214.jpg
 

MissNoodle

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
That's a cool catfish

I'm glad I got my Farlowella, an impulse buy that I don't regret
20191101_090214.jpg
I saw them online and read into them, but saw that theyre fairly delicate so decided against ordering one online... fast forward picking out some other fish at a store and there's a tank full of juvenile twig cats, and the biggest of them going to town all over the front glass... I brought him home right then and there and I have no regrets either. One of the coolest fish. Though many people may find them boring as perhaps its a more sedentary fish lol supposedly. Mines pretty active.

Mine is a farlowella vittata and a young male. He will get between 7-9 inches long.

This was him at the store

received_2449394195317932.jpeg


And him yesterday


20191030_044649.jpg
 

Morpheus1967

Member
My next fish will be an L260 Queen Arabesque pleco.

Photo
 

DoraCory

Member
I haven't any space left in my tanks for more fish and can't really set up another tank at the moment, so I'll have to do it vicariously via this thread.

Not having any space left doesn't stop me planning nice tanks in my head though ha ha. Currently thinking about a nicely scaped, cherry shrimp, nano cube.
 

max h

Member
I have a list for my 55 gallon tank that will be put back into use here very soon. Since it will be a warm water tank 80-82 degrees, I'll be going with either German Blue Rams or one of the color morphs, Cardnial or Rummy Nose tetras, Sterbia Cories, and then maybe some Burmese Boarder Loaches. I already have 2 Burmese Boarder Loaches in a 100 gallon tank that where sold to me as junvielle Yo-Yo Loaches. I got lucky on that deal.
 
  • Thread Starter

jinjerJOSH22

Member
MissNoodle said:
I saw them online and read into them, but saw that theyre fairly delicate so decided against ordering one online... fast forward picking out some other fish at a store and there's a tank full of juvenile twig cats, and the biggest of them going to town all over the front glass... I brought him home right then and there and I have no regrets either. One of the coolest fish. Though many people may find them boring as perhaps its a more sedentary fish lol supposedly. Mines pretty active.

Mine is a farlowella vittata and a young male. He will get between 7-9 inches long.

This was him at the store


And him yesterday
Mine is a Sturisoma Panamense or Royal Farlowella. I was hesitant because I heard they where sensitive also, I'm not saying I'm a bad keeper but if I can keep one alive I doubt they're that sensitive.
Yeah mines super active, the way he bounces around is adorable.
 
  • Thread Starter

jinjerJOSH22

Member
Another fish I'd like to get more of: Blue Spotted Hill Trout. (A nightmare to picture, they don't stop moving period)
Also my 10 inch Dojo, he was posing how could I not take a pick?
20191101_115223.jpg

20191101_115119.jpg
 

MoshJosh

Member
I plan on picking up another discus tonight
 

MissNoodle

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Mine is a Sturisoma Panamense or Royal Farlowella. I was hesitant because I heard they where sensitive also, I'm not saying I'm a bad keeper but if I can keep one alive I doubt they're that sensitive.
Yeah mines super active, the way he bounces around is adorable.
Its more the shipping process I worried with them. Originally my option was to buy online but I didn't wanna risk shipment lol

Its hilarious watching them try to get around. Theyre so clumsy and its like theyre not sure how to swim
 
  • Thread Starter

jinjerJOSH22

Member
MissNoodle said:
Its more the shipping process I worried with them. Originally my option was to buy online but I didn't wanna risk shipment lol

Its hilarious watching them try to get around. Theyre so clumsy and its like theyre not sure how to swim
I actually bought mine online, I missed out on one in store because I wanted to do research first.
 

PascalKrypt

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
It's a 40 min drive there but it's tough when you don't drive
Yes, that makes it a problem I guess no public transport around there?

Momgoose56 said:
pH 8.2, dKH 7 (60), dGH 16 (300). It's desert water. Squeezed from cactus and stone!
Livebearers and bettas and a few others do fine. One species of Cory do okay and I've had clown loaches and kissing gouramis and a couple species of rainbowfish. Giant Danios do okay also. There are actually plenty of fish that do okay in this water, just not the ones I want lol!
Ouch >.o yes, that seems hard to work with. Have you never considered and R/O system for some smaller tanks maybe?

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Another fish I'd like to get more of: Blue Spotted Hill Trout. (A nightmare to picture, they don't stop moving period)
Also my 10 inch Dojo, he was posing how could I not take a pick?
20191101_115223.jpg

20191101_115119.jpg
awesome dojo, what a monster! Can I ask you how big that tank is?
 

Rcslade124

Member
3 apistogramma cacatuoides, 7 green flame tetra, 7 cardinal tetras. And I'm stocked...
 

Elkwatcher

Member
The inn is full here, no vacancies. I did see a wonderful low "3 in one tank", 5 gallons each with removable stable dividers. Perfect for Plakat's. If I get a new tank another one has to come down though.
 
  • Thread Starter

jinjerJOSH22

Member
PascalKrypt said:
Yes, that makes it a problem I guess no public transport around there?


Ouch >.o yes, that seems hard to work with. Have you never considered and R/O system for some smaller tanks maybe?


awesome dojo, what a monster! Can I ask you how big that tank is?
There's public transport but honestly you're doubling the time if you use it
The tanks on the small side, it's about 27-30 gallons but it's 3ft long. HI'm and his 7 inch pal seem content and water quality isn't an issue
 

DIYbetta

Member
I’m actually planning on getting a 10 gallon with my betta and ~6 harlequin rasboras. I’m so excited! I wish I could get a 30 gallon, then I could actually make a natural habitat for Queeny (my betta). Idk what ima do about the aquascape, I want to go for something natural....
 

GlennO

Member
I have no immediate plans for new fish but I would definitely buy some Wapoga Red Laser Rainbowfish if I ever found some for sale.
 
  • Thread Starter

jinjerJOSH22

Member
I haven't been to my Lfs yet but In the meantime ordered these online... Kuhlis and Gold Zebra Danios. I was going to get Gold Mountain Minnows but got distracted and miss clicked but I'm still happy with them
20191114_155052.jpg

20191114_155100.jpg

20191114_155135.jpg
 

jake37

Member
The next fish I will purchase will be 5 more pygmy cories. The last fish I purchased was 3 more gold zebra loach. The fish I want to purchase but no one seems to have is kubotaI loach. The fish I would like to get rid of are a pair of bn pleco but they don't seem to want to leave.
 
  • Thread Starter

jinjerJOSH22

Member
My Moonlight Gourami I've had a while.
1573501654903.jpg
 

Dennis57

Member
Just got back an hour ago from my LFS picked up 2 Roselime Barbs and 3 more Bolivian Rams
 

jake37

Member
Forgot to mention picked up 6 white-fin rosy tetra. Really like these - I have them in a 29 with 5 black angels and 4 kuhli. They are a bit shy of the angels (even though they are nearly the same size) but the past week or so they've gotten a lot more bold. In the process they've learned the angels are wimps. Soon they will be hearding the angels...
 
  • Thread Starter

jinjerJOSH22

Member
jake37 said:
The next fish I will purchase will be 5 more pygmy cories. The last fish I purchased was 3 more gold zebra loach. The fish I want to purchase but no one seems to have is kubotaI loach. The fish I would like to get rid of are a pair of bn pleco but they don't seem to want to leave.
Dennis57 said:
Just got back an hour ago from my LFS picked up 2 Roselime Barbs and 3 more Bolivian Rams
Feel free to post pictures, I would love to see them
 

CrazedHoosier

Member
I got this beautiful thick-lipped gourami yesterday! I’m still in the process of stealing your idea! I’m up to 4 pearls, and 3 thick-lipped. I’ll probably stop there, as I’m operating in just a 40 gal. Well, I may add a few honeys.
IMG_5899.JPG
 

Dennis57

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Feel free to post pictures, I would love to see them
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Feel free to post pictures, I would love to see them
All my Plecos are camera shy.
 

AcuarioAmazonico

Member
I’m all maxed out too - apart from large mystery snails. One somehow managed to leave my (hooded) tank and as I was looking here and there for it - I heard my dog crunching her kibble... only it wasn’t... well you get it

And though I’m maxed out - if I see a juvenile Vieja Synspilum anywhere (so rare here) I’ll grab it quick smart
 

Rcslade124

Member
3 apistogramma cacatuoides and 15 cardinal tetras. Then I'm full until upgrade.
 

AcuarioAmazonico

Member
Rcslade124 said:
3 apistogramma cacatuoides and 15 cardinal tetras. Then I'm full until upgrade.
I swear if I didn’t live in an apartment I’d be forever upgrading and buying fish (and cats and dogs! Lol) - “well I could use the bathtub as QT for a month....”
 

jake37

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Feel free to post pictures, I would love to see them
Ok a few pictures:

The pygmy cory playing in the java moss I have (I really need to dig out my camera with a tele macro because these guys are small and the moss at the back of the tank - so not much to see here:

Then we have one of the zebra loaches - nothing more scary then walking over to the tank and seeing your new loach lying on the side - alas it noticed me watching and perked up - should have taken the picture first. I know clowns love to give folks heart attacks but gold zebra ?? These guys are fairly small - sub inch - when they get a bit bigger I'll move them into the larger tanks with the others I have.

And finally we have 3 of the 6 white fins. They look nicer in person - i'm not sure they are getting enough food. They've started going to the top to eat when I feed the angels - as the angels don't let much food drop.
-
Not pictured I also picked up 8 angelfishes. They were fairly inexpensive - even for angels. I'm esp happy with these angels but they are in small tanks - 4 in a 20L and 4 in a 29; hum not sure what I will do when they get larger - my hope is the blacks pair first and I'll move the pair into the 120 and then move the platinum into the 29 and repeat. Only problem is the 120 has a pair and they won't be happy when the blacks join them. My hope is that as a pair they will be able to find a corner and defend it - as the pair I have in the 120 now are not friendly fishes (towards other angels).
-
The s are blurry because I cropped them and didn't use the flash. Unfortunately the fishes don't like the flash and so I prefer to not use it most of the time. You know in a while when they are comfortable I might retake the s with the flash.
-
Btw never put jungle val in a 29 (third picture). I mean the stuff doesn't' really fit in a 120 but in a 29 .... the other 29 has italia val; that's the blade you see just above the loach. It seems to spread faster than the jungle val but doesn't grow nearly as high (the jungle val in the 29 has blades over 70 inches long).

a.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg
 

Ravynn

Member
Sometime this week i've been thinking about picking up either 10 norman's lampeye killis or 12 hengelI rasboras. I'm thinking the killis as i'd love to try and get fry.
 

kallililly1973

Member
I got a new buddy for Chubby my pea puffer tank recently The always adorable Otto cat
 

CaptainAquatics

Member
That’s a rough question. My tanks are pretty full at the moment and I don’t have much room to add more at the moment. I am hoping to get a 40 gallon breeder soon for my african cichlids and I will probably get more when that happens. So I would probably say the next fish I hope to get is more african cichlids. Don’t know if it will happen though.
 

Rcslade124

Member
16 cardinal tetras! Low light for now will try food in a couple of hours
 

jake37

Member
I've always preferred cardinals to neons - I have 22 (or 21?) in my tank but even with large angels they never bother schooling. Well almost never; when I do water changes they all clump up together but otherwise they just float this way or that way. I don't think they really like the angels and kind of avoid them.

Rcslade124 said:
16 cardinal tetras! Low light for now will try food in a couple of hours
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom