Angel's Planted 40b Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by AngelTheGypsy, Apr 17, 2017.

1. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

So my 38 isn't quite done, but this 40 is itching at me! I've got the tank and stand, but that's it so far. I plan to get a glass top, and a penn place 700 canister like the one on my 38. The stand is getting powder coated (hopefully soon, I just have to take it to the shop) a beautiful metallic blue, although the stand is actually going to be for the 38, and the 40 is going where the 38 is now, but not until my floor in the sunroom has been redone, and the stand is powdered. The hubby is also going to add a bottom shelf and a way to hide my canister . Then I'll add a wood top so the bow front can sit on it.

So what to do with this tank...

My planned stock will be gourami, dwarf neons if I can find 2 females, otherwise I'll go with pearls or moonlights, but that's a ways off.

I want to do an awesome aquascape. I want to get the stuff I need, but I don't know what that is! Most of the plants I'm planning with be low-moderate light, so I know I want to get a good light. I'm also not against learning how to do CO2.

So tell me what equipment to get! Stocking is a long way off, and I don't want to get into that yet, it'll just make me more impatient . It may even have to wait until fall when it will be safe again to order them in.

Light: any suggestions that will do well for any plant I pick up. Please tell me why as well. On my 38 I got a beamswork cuz someone said it was good, but I'm not sure if it will work long term on such a deep tank. I'm looking for education so I can make an informed decision!

CO2: educate me please!

And anything else!

Here's the empty tank(cuz y'all don't know what a 40B looks like on a plain old petco stand!) This is not its final location, nor for the 38, it's just where I could put it out of the way for now until remodeling is done.

0099b6e5ca5a847691c4763739b9d116.jpg

I don't want to cheap out on this build, but I don't want to have to get a 2nd mortgage for it either.

2. bubblegum-heart

bubblegum-heartValued MemberMember

I feel you! MTS is sooooo real!

Light wise, I've heard lots of good things about are the Finnex Planted+, but they're really expensive - the one for a 40B is $120 on Amazon. But I can't really speak to anything else, and I'll be getting NICREW LED lights because they're about a fourth of the cost.

Also, a thing I found (and would really like to put in my tank) is a floating log. The biggest one I found was 13" long, and a medium sized on is 11". I think they'd look really nice, and a nice hiding spot for (small to medium sized) fish in the upper part of the tank.

3. PatrickShrimp

PatrickShrimpValued MemberMember

By-the-by Alen axp has some really great low tech tanks on YouTube, some of which are really quite stunning. Maybe go with some 6500k led floodlights. I can recommend fluorite black plant sand, as s repens just loves it low tech, and I suppose high tech as well. Would you care for my recommended plant list?
    Also a cool stocking list unless you are set on what you have. Also, give dsm a try, and you could check out my thread for advice if you want. Could we see pics of your 38 please?

4. OP
    OP
    AngelTheGypsy

Yes please! I love recommendations! I don't know about floodlights. This tank will be in my main living room and I'm all about interior design...I'll pay more for a good aquarium light, I just don't want to pay a bunch for what I think might work, only to have to replace it with what will really work, like I think I'm going to have to do with my 38.

Could you link to your thread?

My 38: (before I added stock. My after stock pictures all have a bad glare)

595ab50e97c6761d0f4357fdb76cb08e.jpg

This was my first build bigger than a 5 gal betta tank. My biggest concern is the depth, as it's 23" tall, I haven't measured from surface to substrate. I won't do that again... this 40 will be a much slower build. I want to get it how I want it. I'll probably still be changing things up in the 38 for a long time too. But I wanted to experiment with lots of different plants to see what I can do well, and if it doesn't I can find something that does. If you have a good low-tech light recommendation for the 38, I'd be glad to have it. it's 30" wide and it's a bow front. I've also added some jungle gal along the back wall and wisteria in the back right corner. And a few tiny dwarf water lilies too. I can take a new photo after dark.

5. PatrickShrimp

I'll @ you then. For the 40b I think some rotala rotundifolia would be an excellent background plant. Maybe s repens for a mid ground plant. The other thing is do you want a sand shore in front. Some black or dark lava rock would look suave ( don't know if I used suave correctly, but oh well ) along with either spider or Malaysian driftwood. For a front ground I would say again s repens. But you might be able to do dhg or Monte Carlo. Floodlights can look really nice if done correctly, and if you get the right one it'll look even better. Co2 is a great addition to just about every planted tank. Anubias nana would fit great, but you could do any Anubias really. Also some Phoenix moss would look quite stunning. For stocking I would put a pair of dwarf gouramis, a male and female pair, along with 30 ember tetras. Bristle nose Pleco or a school of 10-15 otocinclus if you can keep them alive. Also with adequate flow 5-6 bamboo shrimp would be nice.
    P.s. for taking pictures of a tank make sure the ambient lighting is basically black, whilst the light in the tank is as bright as you want

6. LetsfishWell Known MemberMember

Angel remember be patient with that fish less cycle.lol

7. Semperly

SemperlyValued MemberMember

Wow your tank is BEAUTIFUL!

I love my gourami! I have 2 females and 1 male :) They all get along perfectly despite what you may read!

8. vikingkirken

vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

I think @AI913 has had good luck with the Finnex Stingray on his 40 breeder. That would be cheaper than the 24/7!

9. kjlife

kjlifeValued MemberMember

Just want to add a sprang for the planted 24/7 finnex and I love it

10. Lchi87

Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

11. LetsfishWell Known MemberMember

I
    I just got a 29 gallon today for a stand I`m building.I ordered a 30 Finnex planted 24/7 for it along with a Colbolt NEO-Therm 150 heater and a AC 70. I read the reviews on Amazon and they were all very positive on the 24/7. Angel knows in great detail about my fish free cycling adventure.

12. kjlife

kjlifeValued MemberMember

Love that tank hopefully my plants start growing like that

13. OP
    OP
    AngelTheGypsy

Sold! I know you have gorgeous tanks Lchi!

How do you think it would do on my 24" deep tank? That's really the one I'm concerned about. My moneywort and water sprite aren't doing too well, but they've been in there about 2 weeks or less so far so they may still be adjusting.

14. Lchi87

Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

On a 24" deep tank, I think you'd be struggling to grow medium light plants if you tried. You'll probably be able to keep them alive but new growth would be like pulling teeth. Low light plants should still be okay though!

And if you end up getting it and its not strong enough, you can always add a second (cheaper , generic) light to boost the par a bit. That's what I am planning to do when I try the high tech route in the future. I think it'll work lol.

15. OP
    OP
    AngelTheGypsy

In the 38 I have:
    Amazon swords, seem to be ok
    Melon sword, seeing growth
    Oriental sword, not sure
    S repens, cories and snails (gardeners) keep digging it up
    Compacta seeing growth
    Wisteria doing well
    Jungle Val, the gardeners keep trimmed
    Cabomba, not sure
    Rudwigia repens (not entirely sure I got that right, it's a stem plant) I've had some melt, most are losing leaves, but seems like it might be ok
    Java fern babies, doing good
    Moneywort, lost most of its leaves
    Water sprite, meh
    Crypt doing fine
    Anubias doing fine
    Dwarf water lilies, too early to tell
    Water lettuce is thriving!

I dose flourish and use root tabs. That one has a beamswork led on it. I thought I was getting the 6500k, but it's actually 10000k. I didn't take into account the depth while light shopping. Not much algae growth besides diatoms.

16. OP
    OP
    AngelTheGypsy

An update:

I ordered my canister and light today. I decided on the finnex planted+ 24/7 SE. It wasn't too much more than the regular and I like the idea of it being tiltable. I'll probably never tilt it...

The canister is the same as the 38, a penn plax cascade 700.

I've been looking at planted substrates, but I can't see a definitive advantage over BDBS. I've read nightmare reviews on ecocomplete, and don't see a true superiority in flourite either. I'd rather find out if there's some kind of dry plant fertilizer I can mix into/lay under the BDBS for the plants.

So all I lack is the lid and substrate, available locally. I also need my floor done so I can move things around, and for my husband to fix my stand and powder coat it

17. PatrickShrimp

18. dcutl002

dcutl002Well Known MemberMember

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  19. OP
    OP
    AngelTheGypsy

That thread is extremely informative! Thank you!

I have seen that substrate but had not heard much about it.

20. dcutl002

dcutl002Well Known MemberMember

It is expensive, but it is a good plant substrate. If interested, Google AQUA FOREST AQUARIUM. Most people buy Amazonia, but there are other types. I purchased ADA Aquasoil Malaya and my Rotala really has a nice bronze color.

IMG_1064_zpsrg94jht0.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice