What is your dream tank?

• Freshwater

Votes: 78 78.0%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 28 28.0%

• Total voters

CrazedHoosier

A201 said:
Mbuna are the most overall aggressive species, but worth keeping. Some are really colorful w/ a lot of personality.
Predator Haps are next in line. Bigger fish w/ bigger mouths. They too are often beautifly colored.
Most A. Cichlids available are from lake Malawi. Some say the cichlids from Lake Victoria & Lake Tanganyika are more aggressive, but I haven't found that to be true.
Interesting! Yellow labs are sort of the common go-to mbuna, but I always liked them. They look friendly, but I’ve heard they are indeed not.

Since as far as African cichlids go, I’ve only kept kribensis, how does the yellow lab compare? The krib I had is at the top tier of most aggressive fish I’ve kept along with paradise fish, and three spot gouramis. As you can see, I tend to stick with the more peaceful fish!

Dennis57

max h said:
The tank I really wanted when I got my 150 gallon off a guy I knew in town. He had a 265 gallon tank with everything stand , canopy, lighting, FX6's for filtration(2 or3) plus a few other goodies for $1000. I just had no room for an 84x24x30" in my house. He was getting ready to deploy and was getting out of his side business of selling fish and supplies. He was willing to cut a fellow vet a great deal.
That's a **** of a deal.

A201

If you liked keeping Kribs, you might like Yellow Rock Kribs. The aren't actual Kribs, but really a form of dwarf African Hap. I keep five of them. Easily kept in a 29 gal - 40 gal tank.

CrazedHoosier

A201 said:
If you liked keeping Kribs, you might like Yellow Rock Kribs. The aren't actual Kribs, but really a form of dwarf African Hap. I keep five of them. Easily kept in a 29 gal - 40 gal tank.
Wow, they’re stunning! Are they similar in temperament to actual kribs? I have a spare 29 gallon I’m thinking about trying a school of tiger barbs and a pair of cichlids with...

A201

They just chase each other and leave the other tank mates alone.

jinjerJOSH22

200+ Gallon Giant GouramI set up is the dream, I will be setting up a 110 Gallon Three Spot GouramI tank in the New year, i've just got to build the stand. I would really like to set up a rack and keep a bunch of different GouramI species.

Pretzelf

gandalf1420 said:
What’s the fish/fishes/tank setup/whatever that you want most? This has probably been done but I’m curious. For me it’s hands down an arowana, don’t care the kind, they are AWESOME and I really really want one but I don’t want to spend a million dollars heating an outdoor pond in Massachusetts winter. Also I would love a tank that’s just angels, I have a 75 with 5 and a few other fish but I’m talking like a 300 with like thirty angels.
What’s your dream fish?

Canaculus, Coradee, bizaliz3, CrazedHoosier, kallililly1973. Tagging you guys to get this started.
I KNOW it's not a fish, but I would LOVE a tank with a fly river turtle. Super expensive, biotope, densely planted, fish native to the same region as the turtle. It'd be so cool! Until then though, I am perfectly happy with my musk and 5 tetras!

WetRootsNH

Fish basement with a curving river tank going from one end to the other halfway set into the floor with trout. Also, a deep pond against the foundation with a huge panel of glass in the foundation facing into the pond with native fish like bass, pickerel, and sunfish. Planted with tall vals and lilies.
Now if I could just win the lotto.
Edit: forgot the numerous basin style ponds in the fish basement for growing my rare aquatic plants so that I can jumpstart my wholesale rare plant business!

MacZ

Dream tank(s):

Can't decide beyond freshwater, so here's what I'd loke to have at some point.
At least 3 different biotopes (South American blackwater, Tanganyika, Malawi).

What would make it actual dream tanks: At least 300l/80gal each and all different footprints/hights. Aaaaaand: auto-water changer/overflow system (I know with that different habitats this can not be done in one shared system), centralized control for lights, flowrates and temperature, as well as digital parameter measuring.

Thanks. That's all I want.

CaptainAquatics

Hmmmmm, dream tank? How many tanks can you build into a medium sized houses walls? Ponds outside? A bridge from my drive way to my house surrounded by a moat with koi, arrowana, gar, RTC’s? Point is if I could my house would basically be an aquarium all with auto waterchanges lol. The only room in the house without a fish tank would be my bedroom which would be soundproofed and would house my ball python terrarium.

Ssnaaiil

I would love a salt water tank but it’s very expensive and a lot of work so I’ll stick with freshwater

Crispii

pattersonbear

Just a fun question: If you could have any tank and keep any fish/critters FOR FREE, what would it be? Is there a tank design that you think would be cool but haven't had the time or energy to make happen? What fish have you always wanted to keep?

TWiG87

Id have to go with a nice 100 gallon Saltwater tank. Nothing crazy, but far more money than I’m willing to spend right now

Dennis57

I would say a salt water tank, I never had 1 (yet) 200+ gallons when I do get it.

Canacullus

a 100,000 gallon tank with a single betta. Just kidding, I would actually like a 1000 gallon tank with huge schools of cardinal tetras and discus and corys. It would be glorious.

kallililly1973

A large brackish tank with some brackish water puffers
Mike adding brackish to the poll would be interesting to see if more people would go that route... just sayin

VeiltailKing

A huge freshwater tank with LOTS of schooling fish. I’m talking about a huge school of rummynoses or cardinal tetras

AJE

kallililly1973 said:
A large brackish tank with some brackish water puffers
That’s cheating.

nikm128

Well, discus would be my dream freshwater tank, but I already have that soooo...
I'd do a massive saltwater tank, probably 1,000 gallons or larger with several species of full size angelfish, triggers, tangs, surgeons, butterflyfish, eels....Really a massive tank with a bunch of all the huge fish I likely won't be able to house at any point.
Make it 5,000 gallons

Candace

rskogl2

Mine would be a nicely aquascaped 1000 gal Discus Tank!! Like in this video about 4:50 in; it is exactly my dream setup.

Addictedtobettas

120 gallon saltwater live coral reef tank.

I’ve ‘warned’ my hubby that I’ll be looking to do something saltwater in a year or so. Once the freshwater tanks have.. stabilized. But I’m still figuring out so much with freshwater and different fish and plant species I don’t want to add drama with saltwater.
Also have to get the floor supports put in.

Something like this one.

Amazoniantanklvr

rskogl2 said:
Mine would be a nicely aquascaped 1000 gal Discus Tank!! Like in this video about 4:50 in; it is exactly my dream setup.
Thanks for sharing! LOVED it!

EmiliyaCossack

5 gallon nano rimless cube, created to look like the tree in Lion King with slate rocks at the base in a sun pattern.
Inhabitant: one pea puffer

200 gallon
One sailfin pleco
I don't know what else yet, my husband just really wants a sailfin pleco

60 gallon bow front
Three Oranda Goldfish named Konev, Zhukov and Rokossovsky.
One rubber lip pleco

45 gallon hexagon, heavily planted
Inhabitants unknown at this time

30 gallon long
German Blue Rams
Not sure what else

CHJ

The main tank at the Shedd... Dream big.

aoiumi

A very large tank of yet undecided size, with a 'magical forest' scape, (Interesting plants, black substrate, and decor like a large central 'tree', clear/milky blue ornaments that look like mushrooms, etc.)
Undecided corydoras,
Undecided shrimp and snails,
possibly a schooling mid-level fish of some kind,
and either a normal or giant betta.

A 1000 gal tank with some plants, with either fancy or comet goldfish for 'wet pets.' Set up so it's not too hard to get to the top of the tank regularly.

EDIT: Change that to a 2000 gallon tank with comet and common goldfish - I really do love them.

pagoda

My "dream" aquarium would be an Aqua One Horizon 182 litre with....

10 Threadfin Rainbow or 8 Dwarf Neon Rainbow
6 Cherry Barb
6 Rosy barb
6 Ruby Barb

Currently working out how to save up enough to get the aquarium, where it would fit in the lounge and a variety of scaping ideas are buzzing the braincells

CHJ

aoiumi said:
A very large tank of yet undecided size, with a 'magical forest' scape, (Interesting plants, black substrate, and decor like a large central 'tree', clear/milky blue ornaments that look like mushrooms, etc.)
Undecided corydoras,
Undecided shrimp and snails,
possibly a schooling mid-level fish of some kind,
and either a normal or giant betta.

A 1000 gal tank with some plants, with either fancy or comet goldfish for 'wet pets.' Set up so it's not too hard to get to the top of the tank regularly.
Could you go with the blue glass looking blasting compound for substrate? It is shown in this site's post about blasting compounds Cheap Black Sand Comparison: Spectraquartz, Ceramaquartz, Black Diamond Blasting | Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand 137069

FinalFins

12"x12"x4" aquarium, freshwater rays and wild angels [or discus]

Feohw

I'm still looking forward to the day I can get a 150 gallon (or smaller, doesn't matter) for an oscar, bichir and Synodontis granulosus. Those are the only fish that I have wanted since before I entered the hobby that I still have to get.

And then I'd love a tank for a blue spotted jawfish. That is one saltwater fish I need to have at some point. No specific size needed, just as long as it'll do good for the jawfish.

jinjerJOSH22

112 Gallons with:

9-12 Three Spot Gourami
1-3 Snakeskin Gourami
6-10 of an undecided Barb species(maybe)
Asian Catfish, I currently have a Bumblebee and I want to get a second species.

I have the tank and a lot of the fish, I just need the bits n bobs to run and hold it up

Rev

I'd love to have a massive South American Wild Type tank. 500+ gallons the bigger the better. Nothing that has been bred for a trait. Either wild caught or tank raised whatever I can get my hands on. Altum Angels, corydoras, tetras, discus, you name it. Not sure which all species specifically for corydoras and tetras. But I think that would be awesome.

Also I keep eyeing up saltwater a 200-300g reef tank would be pretty darn cool.

CHJ said:
The main tank at the Shedd... Dream big.
The huge Caribbean reef tank when you walk in? Or the sharks one?

CHJ

Rev said:
The huge Caribbean reef tank when you walk in? Or the sharks one?
It is probably different than when I was a child. There was a massive tank with sharks and saw fish and scuba divers right when you walk in.

SnookusFish

500 litre sand bottom with spider wood and a few large carpeting anubius. Some big flat stones and a driftwood structure in the middle

Around 16 mix of rams and dwarf cichlids with a 3 ebjds and a large school of mixed tetras

Rev

CHJ said:
It is probably different than when I was a child. There was a massive tank with sharks and saw fish and scuba divers right when you walk in.
Hmm maybe. Pretty sure they do divers in the caribbean reef. Its a huge cylinder right when you walk in. The massive shark one is down an elevator now. Can't remember how you used to get there they remodeled like a decade ago I think? But you can walk under that one in parts if that's what you're thinking of. You should go back when you've got the chance. I absolutely love it there. I'll probably be going back in the next couple months here.

StarGirl

My dream tank doesn't matter what size. I just would like to be able to have all the fish I like with no restrictions. No fighting, temperature etc. All at peace and community.

MissNoodle

120g.

All cory catfish. Not fussy on kind but I would probably go aeneus because of the "common" cories, ive fallen in love with them most.
KubotaI rasboras for the upper level. I mean at least a school of 100.
5 porthole catfish as the "centerpiece"
A couple farlowella vittata.

Awaken_Riceball_

500G aquascape in-wall aquarium. I want it to be something when people first into the home, they will be astonished. I I believe in showcasing your hobby in big ways in the home.

Then I want to experiment with a 90G cold/antarctic Saltwater Aquarium to display something unusual and rarely seen in the hobby.

aoiumi

Awaken_Riceball_ said:
500G aquascape in-wall aquarium. I want it to be something when people first into the home, they will be astonished. I I believe in showcasing your hobby in big ways in the home.

Then I want to experiment with a 90 gallon cold/antarctic Saltwater Aquarium to display something unusual and rarely seen in the hobby.
Oh wow! A cold saltwater tank sounds amazing! There are so many things in the ocean, and that's a section you never hear about. If you ever start it, I'll be watching.

Dewclaw83

My dream tank is a tank with “frag tank”-like proportions (very wide, but very shallow) and creating a natural betta habitat with a wild betta. Depending on species, could stock a pair, and find other fish native to their area. Lots of “tree roots” and stuff. Basically a Thailand biotope following the specific betta’s habitat.

A more achievable dream tank at the moment is a peacock cichlid tank with hardscape only. I’m planning on doing it later this summer, and I’m going to run a little experiment and try it in a 40 gallon (don’t worry, I’ll have backups if I need them). My mother might even let me put it downstairs if I include a crayfish... now that’s a dream

Rev

Dewclaw83 said:
My dream tank is a tank with “frag tank”-like proportions (very wide, but very shallow) and creating a natural betta habitat with a wild betta. Depending on species, could stock a pair, and find other fish native to their area. Lots of “tree roots” and stuff. Basically a Thailand biotope following the specific betta’s habitat.

A more achievable dream tank at the moment is a peacock cichlid tank with hardscape only. I’m planning on doing it later this summer, and I’m going to run a little experiment and try it in a 40 gallon (don’t worry, I’ll have backups if I need them). My mother might even let me put it downstairs if I include a crayfish... now that’s a dream
I'm just gonna leave this right here to encourage that lowboy tank

Amazoniantanklvr

Rev said:
You know that it says in store only right?

Rev

Amazoniantanklvr said:
You know that it says in store only right?
I do. The link is for the brand of tanks not the store. Should be able to get it locally easily. I don't like the idea of shipping tanks to myself. Delivery drivers aren't very careful with anything they've got.

Dewclaw83

Rev said:
I love it! But they're so expensiveeeeee that’s why I haven’t even considered actually doing it yet Poor college student, y’know? Between the tank, fish, and scaping I’d be in debt (even more lol)

Rev

Dewclaw83 said:
I love it! But they're so expensiveeeeee that’s why I haven’t even considered actually doing it yet Poor college student, y’know? Between the tank, fish, and scaping I’d be in debt (even more lol)
Haha I feel you. Before you know it a few hundred bucks have vanished. All things considered the tank isn't too bad price wise. But everything else adds up very quickly.

jinjerJOSH22

Dewclaw83 said:

There's a small frag tank available on Ebay, I checked it out after seeing your post, it turns out it's in my home town

Littlebudda

I’ve always dreamed of turning my pool into an American cichlid tank/pond. You can swim with them would be awesome

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom