JL's Aquascapes and Fish - Page 7

RedOnion

Wow I knew your tanks looked amazing! But after catching up with the update pics WOW!! This makes me want to redo my 20g! How did you rescape with the fish? Did you remove them before?

Ive also wanted to breed my rasboras, I bought 7 but 2 died within the same day of purchase so now I have 5. Im not too sure if I have any males lol. Have yours bred and then the babies lived?

JLAquatics

Rigel's coloration is so beautiful, what a nice change! The tank has really filled in with greenery and they all look like happy fish!
Thank you Marlene! That is the ultimate goal here, I only want to own happy and healthy fish in my home. :)

Wow I knew your tanks looked amazing! But after catching up with the update pics WOW!! This makes me want to redo my 20g! How did you rescape with the fish? Did you remove them before?

Ive also wanted to breed my rasboras, I bought 7 but 2 died within the same day of purchase so now I have 5. Im not too sure if I have any males lol. Have yours bred and then the babies lived?
It is great to hear from you again RedOnion!

This is how I did my rescape in a simplified response;

1. Setup a medium container and large container with at least 15 gallons of water capacity a few weeks before your rescape day.

2. Soak the soil and wood in this medium container. While it did begin smelling alot, it served a vital purpose. I could not have an ammonia spike in my main display tank, so setting the soil in the container to soak for a few weeks solves this problem. I did drain the water out and put fresh hot water in the container a few times to speed up the process.

3. Once everything is ready, I began draining the old setup and placing the water in the new container. I fished out all the fish and shrimp that I could find as well as the plants. I installed the old filter on the container to give the fish water circulation and filtration. It also helps reduce stress.

4. I took out the old substrate bed in the main tank and began scooping the soaked soil into the tank. while it was a bit dirty from being soaked, it was nothing a canister filter couldn't handle clearing up.

5. I roughly placed my hardscape and began my background plants.

6. I filled the tank with my tank water in the large container and placed the fish back in shortly after that as the soil already leeched all harmful components from step two.

7. I turned both new and old filters on the new setup for the water to clear up.

8. Once everything cleared up, I did my final touches on my scape including planting the small carpeting species.

My Rasboras have bred countless times but the eggs were always eaten by them but especially their tankmates. You will know when they breed if the males chase the females and flip them over under a broad leaf. They will have a sort of dance and then the females will deposit the eggs in which the male will fertilize almost immediately. Males will also spar with one another by holding their fins out at one another and creating a display of sorts.

As for telling the gender of the Rasboras, the males generally have more bolder colors and a more streamlined appearance. The females once mature will be much fatter and rounder around the belly. They will also fill up with eggs quite often in a healthy environment. Do you have any pictures of your specimens?

SamMe

I'm sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. I hope you get to feeling better very soon. Your tank posts are always beautiful, and this latest is no exception. I think I'll look into some Spiky Moss for my own tank. It gives yours a nice soft look.:)

JLAquatics

I'm sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. I hope you get to feeling better very soon. Your tank posts are always beautiful, and this latest is no exception. I think I'll look into some Spiky Moss for my own tank. It gives yours a nice soft look.:)
Thank you for that! I appreciate the kind regards regarding my condition. I am sure I will pull through just fine, I have been through much worse in the past. It have just been a nuisance as I have been feeling like this since the new year started.

As for Spiky Moss, it is one of my favorite mosses. Instead of growing stringy like Java Moss, this moss maintains its form much better. It will grow in more dense sheets and is better a coverage and is also easy to grow as well. I would definitely recommend you give this moss a go in your aquascape. :)

RedOnion

Thank you Marlene! That is the ultimate goal here, I only want to own happy and healthy fish in my home. :)

It is great to hear from you again RedOnion!

This is how I did my rescape in a simplified response;

1. Setup a medium container and large container with at least 15 gallons of water capacity a few weeks before your rescape day.

2. Soak the soil and wood in this medium container. While it did begin smelling alot, it served a vital purpose. I could not have an ammonia spike in my main display tank, so setting the soil in the container to soak for a few weeks solves this problem. I did drain the water out and put fresh hot water in the container a few times to speed up the process.

3. Once everything is ready, I began draining the old setup and placing the water in the new container. I fished out all the fish and shrimp that I could find as well as the plants. I installed the old filter on the container to give the fish water circulation and filtration. It also helps reduce stress.

4. I took out the old substrate bed in the main tank and began scooping the soaked soil into the tank. while it was a bit dirty from being soaked, it was nothing a canister filter couldn't handle clearing up.

5. I roughly placed my hardscape and began my background plants.

6. I filled the tank with my tank water in the large container and placed the fish back in shortly after that as the soil already leeched all harmful components from step two.

7. I turned both new and old filters on the new setup for the water to clear up.

8. Once everything cleared up, I did my final touches on my scape including planting the small carpeting species.

My Rasboras have bred countless times but the eggs were always eaten by them but especially their tankmates. You will know when they breed if the males chase the females and flip them over under a broad leaf. They will have a sort of dance and then the females will deposit the eggs in which the male will fertilize almost immediately. Males will also spar with one another by holding their fins out at one another and creating a display of sorts.

As for telling the gender of the Rasboras, the males generally have more bolder colors and a more streamlined appearance. The females once mature will be much fatter and rounder around the belly. They will also fill up with eggs quite often in a healthy environment. Do you have any pictures of your specimens?
Thank you so much for the whole write up!! I may just do that soon to my 20g! I need to make a journal for all my tanks soon; been wanting to make one but just never found the time.

My rasboras are the only fish in my 10g so no others could eat the eggs besides themselves. I made another post about their gender, as I don't want to derail your post. I hope I got at least one male in there! Here is the Post about my Rasboras.

JLAquatics

Thank you so much for the whole write up!! I may just do that soon to my 20g! I need to make a journal for all my tanks soon; been wanting to make one but just never found the time.

My rasboras are the only fish in my 10g so no others could eat the eggs besides themselves. I made another post about their gender, as I don't want to derail your post. I hope I got at least one male in there! Here is the Post about my Rasboras.
Feel free to make a new build thread and tag me if you would like. I am only here to help, friend!

It will be hard to tell the gender of your Rasboras if they are juveniles, as they become more distinct once they reach sexual maturity. Your Harlequins will eat their own eggs as well. Therefore, it is always recommended to seperate one female full of roe and your best looking male to a separate breeding tank with broad leafed plants. I personally would only do this if the Rasboras are clearly breeding and laying eggs in your main tank. After they are done laying eggs, move the male and female back to the main tank and leave the eggs to hatch on their own for the best chance of success.

Here is a sparring match I found in my Lambchop Rasboras this morning.

IMG_20220108_103540869_2.jpg
excuse the bubbles, no they do not have ick. Notice how with both males they are facing side by side with one another with their fins erect? Eventually one will charge the other one but this never results in injuries. They are merely displaying themselves for the ladies in the tank.

Here are some other pictures for my 29 gallon update post for today!

IMG_20220108_104055490_2.jpg
29 gallon whole tank shot. The plants are going insane in this setup and the Java Ferns have tons of new leaves forming at the rhizomes! I am excited to finally have thriving Java Fern for once!

IMG_20220108_101906652_2.jpg
an angled view of the tank because why not? You can see some of StarGirl's Vals getting really tall on the right side of the scape in this image alongside the Pogostemen.

IMG_20220108_101848868.jpg
More Rotala h'ra I planted yesterday for more red tones in the aquascape.

IMG_20220108_102149186_2.jpg
Spiky Moss finally growing the trademark "spikes"

IMG_20220108_102255397_2.jpg
The shrimp hangout spot in the aquascape

IMG_20220108_102326571_HDR_2.jpg
Spot the Honey Gourami? I also want to give a shoutout to Ssnaaiil for the beautiful floaters I bought from her the other week. They are thriving as you can see!

IMG_20220108_102113275_2.jpg
Here is a rare orange Neocardinia I spotted this morning. I never bought any orange shrimp so I am always fascinated when I find one.

RedOnion

Feel free to make a new build thread and tag me if you would like. I am only here to help, friend!

It will be hard to tell the gender of your Rasboras if they are juveniles, as they become more distinct once they reach sexual maturity. Your Harlequins will eat their own eggs as well. Therefore, it is always recommended to seperate one female full of roe and your best looking male to a separate breeding tank with broad leafed plants. I personally would only do this if the Rasboras are clearly breeding and laying eggs in your main tank. After they are done laying eggs, move the male and female back to the main tank and leave the eggs to hatch on their own for the best chance of success.

Here is a sparring match I found in my Lambchop Rasboras this morning.

IMG_20220108_103540869_2.jpg
excuse the bubbles, no they do not have ick. Notice how with both males they are facing side by side with one another with their fins erect? Eventually one will charge the other one but this never results in injuries. They are merely displaying themselves for the ladies in the tank.

Here are some other pictures for my 29 gallon update post for today!

IMG_20220108_104055490_2.jpg
29 gallon whole tank shot. The plants are going insane in this setup and the Java Ferns have tons of new leaves forming at the rhizomes! I am excited to finally have thriving Java Fern for once!

IMG_20220108_101906652_2.jpg
an angled view of the tank because why not? You can see some of StarGirl's Vals getting really tall on the right side of the scape in this image alongside the Pogostemen.

IMG_20220108_101848868.jpg
More Rotala h'ra I planted yesterday for more red tones in the aquascape.

IMG_20220108_102149186_2.jpg
Spiky Moss finally growing the trademark "spikes"

IMG_20220108_102255397_2.jpg
The shrimp hangout spot in the aquascape

IMG_20220108_102326571_HDR_2.jpg
Spot the Honey Gourami? I also want to give a shoutout to Ssnaaiil for the beautiful floaters I bought from her the other week. They are thriving as you can see!

IMG_20220108_102113275_2.jpg
Here is a rare orange Neocardinia I spotted this morning. I never bought any orange shrimp so I am always fascinated when I find one.
After seeing your males, I actually have one that looks just like them. I think I may have 4 females and 1 male. They dont seem to be juveniles, theyre pretty chonky.

Im always on the look out for any spawning behavior and I think they sometimes do try to bit I never catch it. Thank you so much for all the help! I really appreciate all you have done:)

I will tag you along in a post should they breed!

JLAquatics

After seeing your males, I actually have one that looks just like them. I think I may have 4 females and 1 male. They dont seem to be juveniles, theyre pretty chonky.

Im always on the look out for any spawning behavior and I think they sometimes do try to bit I never catch it. Thank you so much for all the help! I really appreciate all you have done:)

I will tag you along in a post should they breed!
I overlooked your post and I have just an interesting tidbit for you. I do not have the same type of Rasbora as your Rasboras.

You have Harlequin Rasboras (Trigonostigma heteromorpha)

While I have Lambchop Rasboras (Trigonostigma espei)

However, despite their small differences physically like color and markings they behave and breed the same way which is why they are mixed all the time. In fact, these two species are mixed more often than even Cardinal vs Neon Tetras. If you would like me to share some more differences between the two species just let me know. :)

RedOnion

I overlooked your post and I have just an interesting tidbit for you. I do not have the same type of Rasbora as your Rasboras.

However, despite their small differences physically like color and markings they behave and breed the same way which is why they are mixed all the time. In fact, these two species are mixed more often than even Cardinal vs Neon Tetras. If you would like me to share some more differences between the two species just let me know. :)
Yeah, HellfishGuy actually pointed out that the harelquin rasbora I thought was male is actually a Lambchop rasbora. So I have 4 harlequins and 1 lambchop. I may get 3 more lambchops to go with the single one so that I have a total of 8 in the tank.

Im not surprised that they are always mixed, especially because theyre always kept in the same tank at stores too and sell them as "harlequins". Besides their looks being slightly different I don't think they are completely different like neons vs cardinals in terms of parameters and water temps.

SamMe

After reading the last couple of posts between you and RedOnion, I am questioning if the Rasboras I have are actually Lambchops and not Harlequins. When I bought them 6 years ago, I was told they were Harlequins. These are the last 4 of their school. Opinions?

Attachments

• 20220109_194905.jpg
    20220109_194905.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220109_195018 (1).jpg
    20220109_195018 (1).jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 15

JLAquatics

After reading the last couple of posts between you and RedOnion, I am questioning if the Rasboras I have are actually Lambchops and not Harlequins. When I bought them 6 years ago, I was told they were Harlequins. These are the last 4 of their school. Opinions?
These all look to be standard Harlequins to me. The Harlequin Rasboras have more of a pinkish brown tone, while the Lambchop Rasboras have a brighter orange on their bodies. Additionally, the Harlequin Rasboras grow larger (up to 2 inches) and have more of a triangle shaped black marking while the Lambchops have more of a lambchop shaped marking and rarely grow over 1.5 inches at maturity.

JLAquatics

Not really that much of an update, but more of just a picture upload post.

The 29 gallon aquascape has been teeming with life for the past few weeks and I felt like posting a few more pics for your enjoyment. Enjoy. :)

IMG_20220112_112741133_2.jpg

IMG_20220112_111622647_2.jpg

IMG_20220112_114001095_2.jpg

IMG_20220112_111635202_2.jpg

IMG_20220112_113048401_2.jpg

IMG_20220110_153710846_2.jpg

IMG_20220112_112855760_2.jpg

IMG_20220110_153454102_2.jpg

IMG_20220112_112201470_3.jpg

IMG_20220112_111911694_2.jpg

Marlene327

This is eye candy!

JLAquatics

It was a small rescape time today for the 29 gallon! I moved a few things around such as a few pieces of overgrown spiderwood and I opened up the cave opening a bit more. I honestly like the new look even better now. Let me know what you all think about the changes friends. :)

IMG_20220116_120656710_2 (1).jpg
Before Trim

IMG_20220118_135527971_2.jpg
After Trim

IMG_20220120_190736520_2.jpg
After Rescape
This is eye candy!
Thanks Marlene. I think I just made the 29 gallon even better now after my rescape! I always find myself turning my head from my desk and looking at my own slice of paradise across the room. I can't wait to setup my 75 gallon in a similar fashion soon! :D

Marlene327

It's hard to improve on the way it was but now there's so much more open space. I know the plants are constantly growing, and in a month it will all fill in again. But right now it's like a man with a shaggy haircut who just got it trimmed and styled! Always delightful!

Basil

It looks great before and after the trim!
I really like the dimensions of a 75 (says she who is currently setting up a second 75!) and obviously, a larger tank is easier to work in. :)
Best of luck if you upgrade.

JLAquatics

I can't keep up with the 29 gallon! Everything is just growing too fast! :D

Some pictures of the 29 gallon for today. I also have more pics of the 15 gallon coming soon as well as some new fish that I am going to get soon!

IMG_20220124_143210230_3.jpg
Took the floaters out to take this shot. I must say, I was not disappointed with how it turned out! It is now my all time favorite shot of my tank. So much detail is captured in this one image that makes the art of aquascaping so enjoyable for me. :)

Other shots:

IMG_20220123_114431759_2.jpg
A jungle right in my own bedroom, it sure is mesmerizing to look at.

IMG_20220123_114614173_2.jpg
My sole Honey Gourami. I think I am going to try to get more of these since she is doing very well. :)

IMG_20220123_114825769_2.jpg
Her is another shot of her exploring the cave of paradise. The led illuminates the cave and it always is intriguing to look at.

IMG_20220123_114458244_2.jpg
2 of the 12 new Amano Shrimp I got recently from Flip Aquatics. They are all doing very well and beginning to grow. For now, they are the same size as my Cherries. I ended up putting six of each in my 29 gallon and 15 gallon tank.

It's hard to improve on the way it was but now there's so much more open space. I know the plants are constantly growing, and in a month it will all fill in again. But right now it's like a man with a shaggy haircut who just got it trimmed and styled! Always delightful!
Agreed. It is always fun to trim the tank and watch it change before your very own eyes. Fish only tanks ain't got nothing over the planted ones. ;)

It looks great before and after the trim!
I really like the dimensions of a 75 (says she who is currently setting up a second 75!) and obviously, a larger tank is easier to work in. :)
Best of luck if you upgrade.
I am gonna need it for sure. I'm already thinking about fish to add to such a massive community. More Neons... Kuhli Loaches... a medium sized group of Honey Gouramis to add to my existing one... A large school of Corydoras (my first group of Corydoras might I add)... even some freshwater Gobies... The possibilities I could do are endless. :)

Motherlovebetta

I can't keep up with the 29 gallon! Everything is just growing too fast! :D

Some pictures of the 29 gallon for today. I also have more pics of the 15 gallon coming soon as well as some new fish that I am going to get soon!

IMG_20220124_143210230_3.jpg
Took the floaters out to take this shot. I must say, I was not disappointed with how it turned out! It is now my all time favorite shot of my tank. So much detail is captured in this one image that makes the art of aquascaping so enjoyable for me. :)

Other shots:

IMG_20220123_114431759_2.jpg
A jungle right in my own bedroom, it sure is mesmerizing to look at.

IMG_20220123_114614173_2.jpg
My sole Honey Gourami. I think I am going to try to get more of these since she is doing very well. :)

IMG_20220123_114825769_2.jpg
Her is another shot of her exploring the cave of paradise. The led illuminates the cave and it always is intriguing to look at.

IMG_20220123_114458244_2.jpg
2 of the 12 new Amano Shrimp I got recently from Flip Aquatics. They are all doing very well and beginning to grow. For now, they are the same size as my Cherries. I ended up putting six of each in my 29 gallon and 15 gallon tank.

Agreed. It is always fun to trim the tank and watch it change before your very own eyes. Fish only tanks ain't got nothing over the planted ones. ;)

I am gonna need it for sure. I'm already thinking about fish to add to such a massive community. More Neons... Kuhli Loaches... a medium sized group of Honey Gouramis to add to my existing one... A large school of Corydoras (my first group of Corydoras might I add)... even some freshwater Gobies... The possibilities I could do are endless. :)
My honey gourami are breeding all the time let me know how many you want haha!

StarGirl

You all could meet and exchange....lol so close! ;)

JLAquatics

My honey gourami are breeding all the time let me know how many you want haha!
Really!? I would love to take your offer for some! I can never find any at my local pet shop (Petstation Jackson) and we both live in the same state. If you are serious about this I will seriously buy some from you friend. :D

Motherlovebetta

Really!? I would love to take your offer for some! I can never find any at my local pet shop (Petstation Jackson) and we both live in the same state. If you are serious about this I will seriously buy some from you friend. :D
How many are you looking for? I have two breeding pair. The fry get eaten by my tetras I think. I just will have to possibly pull eggs out. I don’t have the heart to take the babies to the LFS! You my friend can HAVE them if you don’t mind waiting for them to grow. They are SLOW!

JLAquatics

How many are you looking for? I have two breeding pair. The fry get eaten by my tetras I think. I just will have to possibly pull eggs out. I don’t have the heart to take the babies to the LFS! You my friend can HAVE them if you don’t mind waiting for them to grow. They are SLOW!
I will definitely wait for them to grow a bit more. I certainly do not want my tetras or Rasboras eating them either but I will definitely purchase some from you. Additionally, the weather should be a bit more mild by the time I buy some Honeys from you which will help their transit a lot.

Additionally, I would request a specific ratio of male to female gourami anyways. I was thinking 3/4 females including my current one and a single male so we would need to wait until we could see gender differences.

So in essence, I am looking for 3-4 specimens total to add to my community. I will even pay for the shipping as well once you are ready via PayPal.

I have really wanted some of these fish badly that I have been at my lfs about 5 times over the last 2 months now to no luck. They are the gold variant like the one I currently have right?

I also don't mind you posting pics of the parents and offspring on my thread either, post away!
:D

Motherlovebetta

I will definitely wait for them to grow a bit more. I certainly do not want my tetras or Rasboras eating them either but I will definitely purchase some from you.
I’ll PM you.

SamMe

This is like a good book with a happy ending, sigh.....:) Love it!

JLAquatics

It is time for an update post! For a while I was very busy but yesterday I managed to do a large trimming session for my two tanks. I had disposed of roughly 2 pounds of plant matter, mainly floaters and Limnophila. I also adjusted the sand river a bit as it was looking a bit overgrown and flat. The column aquarium is doing well, but the light has been wonky so I will not be showing that one until it is replaced.

Anyways, here are my pics for you all today. :)

IMG_20220131_191349921_3.jpg

IMG_20220201_123911896_2.jpg

IMG_20220201_123729783.jpg

IMG_20220131_195420819_2.jpg

IMG_20220131_191757200_2.jpg

IMG_20220201_123927047_2.jpg

IMG_20220201_124145848_2.jpg

Now to get ready for that major winter storm that is almost upon me. I got to start preparing for the worst. :eek:

SouthAmericanCichlids

JLAquatics any updates?

Marlene327

JLAquatics any updates?
I've missed you here, JLAquatics ! I know life got busy. Hope you and your tanks are doing well!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SterSter
Replies
Views
JLAquatics
Replies
Views
ANudibranch
Replies
Views