JL's Aquascapes and Fish - Page 6

JLAquatics

Here is the new 15 gallon column tank just waiting to be started! I am so excited to begin soon! I have a 200 dollar cashback bonus that I will be using for all the supplies for this new tank. I will begin my shopping spree tomorrow!

0918211159.jpg

I will share all updates with this new endeavor as well and what I buy if you all would like. I feel like it is time to rejuvenate this thread once more! The other fish are doing great still, many of the plants I will use in this tank will be from the two established tanks.

JLAquatics

Update for you all! I just ordered the following for my new tank;

9.5 pounds of Spiderwood! You read that right, I am ordering almost 10 pounds of Spiderwood to ensure I have the right pieces for my tank project. I have seiryu stones already that I will use as well for supporting textures.

A Small planted aquarium light with timer. The default light will not work long term for healthy plant growth in the 15 gallon column. I had to get a different light that will work.

10 pounds of Aquasoil. This is self explanatory. I wanted a substrate to grow my stem plants well in the back corner of the tank. This will be my first dual substrate tank as well, I will be using sand in the front of the scape.

I will be showing you all the products that I get for the new tank. I am very much looking forward to the wood. :)

JLAquatics

I apologize for not being as present on the forum lately. Unfortunately work struck again and I haven't had much time to do anything with the tanks let alone participate on a forum. However, I have a small reprieve so I spent the most of the time caring for the tanks. I did a water change on the 29 gallon and I did a full rescape of the 10 gallon! That is right, the scenery began looking a bit stale and I wanted a refresh after all this time. This time, I wanted the filter in the dead center of the tank for maximum flow! Without any trimming in a few months, the tank was beginning to become too thick with growth and plants began outcompeting each other for nutrients.

32390.jpeg

0928211654 (1).jpg

Tank is a bit cloudy still, but the Embers are already loving to hangout in the gentle current in the center open area. Additionally, the shrimp are exploring the moss branches like it is a playground. Everyone looks happy in the new setup after a slightly stressful transition and I couldn't be happier!

On a sad note, the new 15 gallon column had a crack that expanded to the point where it is unusable now. I have to wait for that model to be in stock again to continue that project, but the 10 gallon has new life now and my main focus is that at this point. :happy:

JLAquatics

Hey everyone. Work still has not let up yet, so I wanted to create another post here while I had the time to update all my Fishlore friends on what has been happening with the tanks lately. First things first, all the fish are doing well. While I have not been home as much doing the maintenance I completely want to do, the minimum has still been done to ensure the fish stay in great shape. I try to do 50 percent in both established tanks weekly, but I have less time to trim and keep the aquariums looking their best. Luckily the ten gallon was revamped on a small reprieve so it will be a while before that tank needs a trim.

10 gallon

1003211919b.jpg

There is still much growing to do after the recent rescape of this tank. I have my co2 kit working once again with a new refill to aid in the growing process. However, all the critters are especially happy with the new arrangement. The Ember Tetras are always hanging out in the front, it is almost like I have a new tank already.

1002211149_2.jpg

When viewing the tank from the side one can see how the background will grow in.

1003211919d.jpg
Pogostemen Octopus are on the two back corners of the tank behind the seiryu stones with Limnophila lining the middle back section. I have some Rotala h'ra in front of it as well for some accent coloration.

I have the filter in the center of the tank with the co2 diffuser right beneath the flow. This will distribute water and co2 across the whole tank and prevent dead zones from forming. These dead zones will create problems long term in any aquascape, so it is best to plan ahead to mitigate this issue long term.

The new highlight of this scape however has to be the moss branches. I incorporated them into the scape due to the success of growing Spiky Moss as well as the hundreds of Cherry Shrimp that call this aquarium home.

1003211920.jpg

I counted roughly 200 Cherry Shrimp when I redid the ten gallon. I still have 11 Ember Tetras and the three original Amano Shrimp as well.

1003211919a.jpg
The 29 gallon is still doing well, but there is not much new and exciting to show here. The fish are doing well and the plants continue to make a recovery after an unfortunate couple of months.

The 15 gallon is still on hold as they do not have the tank available to purchase. Looks like I will be holding off on that a bit longer as well.

To conclude, It is always a pleasure to chat with you all here on Fishlore. I apologize I have not been able to contribute much lately, but I hope that will change soon. Stay awesome, Fishlore. :)

-JLAquatics

JLAquatics

Just figured I would post some more pictures of the new scape today as well as a growth comparison from the first of this month. Enjoy. :)

0930211052b_2.jpg Image from October 1st

1008211943a_2.jpg Image from this morning

1008211951a_2.jpg

1008211943b_2.jpg

1010211105_2.jpg
And here is one image of the 29 gallon aquarium snuck into the shot. Now it is time for my water changes! :)

JLAquatics

Just a small update with pictures for today to all my Fishlore friends, it has been pretty draining at work these past few weeks.

1017211336a_2.jpg
The ten gallon needs a trim badly. However, I love seeing all the new growth in there. Additionally, I must say that the algae growth on the Seiryu Stones is great. It gives them a more weathered and aged look.

1017211331_2.jpg
All the shrimp continue to thrive in this setup. I have some really red ones in there now.

1017211331a_2.jpg
The small amount of Rotala h'ra left is doing well. I am hoping I can salvage this plant and make it into a bigger part of my scape once more.

I will make an effort to provide another update for you all once I get more time. Until then, stay awesome, Fishlore.

-JLAquatics

Motherlovebetta

Wow! Those shrimp are awesome! Did you get them around here? Tank looks great.

Blacksheep1

Whoa ! Those shrimp are an incredible colour !! I think the tank suits the extra plant growth .

JLAquatics

Wow! Those shrimp are awesome! Did you get them around here? Tank looks great.
Whoa ! Those shrimp are an incredible colour !! I think the tank suits the extra plant growth .
Despite looking very high quality, the shrimp came from a very unlikely source... the Ann Arbor Petco.

There is a specific way I was able to get bright red colors in my shrimp. I placed the first batch (12 shrimp, all various shades of red) into my 29 gallon aquascape in late December 2020 which would later become the cull tank. When the 10 gallon aquascape was first setup in May of this year, I took the 9 most vibrant shrimp from the growing colony and placed them as the first inhabitants of the new setup. I then proceeded to continually transfer the less vibrant shrimp into the 29 gallon and the more vibrant shrimp into the 10 gallon aquascape. Following this procedure I now have relatively high grade red cherry shrimp in the 10 gallon tank and assorted shrimp in my larger tank. I also have Orange, Red Rili, Red Rili Kohaku, Orange Rili Kohaku, wild type, and less vibrant Cherries in the large tank now.

JLAquatics

Shrimp are awesome creatures that every planted tank aquarist should have!

In my old thread I would take shrimp pictures and post them on random days. I have never done that on this thread before, but that is about to change right now! Enjoy :)

Tank Shots

1019211222_2.jpg

1019211704a_2.jpg

Ember Tetra Shots

1019211704_2.jpg

1019211701_2.jpg

Shrimp Shots (The highlight today)

1019211347_3.jpg

1019211348_3.jpg

1019211347d_3.jpg

1019211348a_2.jpg

1019211700a_2.jpg

An Amano Shrimp molt I found while taking the photos. I thought it would be interesting to post on here.

1019211348b_2.jpg

Blacksheep1

Those are some brilliant photos , you have an artists eye for a great shot . My favourites are the reflection shot and the one of the two rcs at the top of the wood. That last one makes me think I can hear the shrimp grumbling these youngsters and shaking a fist :D

edit ; I know it’s a moult but that was kinda the point old and grumpy

JLAquatics

Some big plans are underway next week, friends!

First, I got a replacement tank for the 15 gallon column tank. I will begin this project this coming Monday.

Second, a full rescape is underway in the 29 gallon aquarium! I have had the same scape in there for a year now, it is time for a change!

More info coming soon, so stay tuned friends for more content! ;)

JLAquatics

The process begins finally for the 15 gallon column Aquascape! The light and silicone sealant have been installed!

Default Light New Light

1025211111a.jpg
1025211110.jpg

Here is the wood I will use in the new design alongside Seiryu Stone...

1025211109.jpg
They range from 10 to 15 inches long and will be perfect for adding height in the new aquascape, which is crucial for tall tanks. I will also be making a more detailed thread on this tank project in the tank builds forum. (Hint: It will eventually be home to a Male Betta that I haven't kept in over three years).

BradleyH2O

Neat thread and great pics. You’ve got me wanting to do a plant tank. :)

JLAquatics

I have created a new thread highlighting the new 15 gallon column styled nature aquascape. Here is a render I did of the new scape using Scape It and Photoshop in that thread right here;

scape 15 gallon column.png
(Copyright, Scape It)

The 15 Gallon Column Aquascape Challenge | Freshwater Aquarium Builds Forum | 511788

More will come tomorrow, including substrate and rock placement in the new tank! Stay tuned for more information!

Neat thread and great pics. You’ve got me wanting to do a plant tank. :)
Thank you! You definitely should! However, it gets really addicting once you begin, so try at your own risk. Additionally, there are many great threads and articles here about setting up planted aquariums. It is much easier than it seems and your fish will be much happier in a more natural habitat. :)

BradleyH2O

May try to get another tank for Christmas. I’m in the process of setting one up right now and we don’t have any fish yet lol

JLAquatics

I am testing out a few hardscape designs for the 15 gallon column today and I feel I have settled on this hardscape.

1026211336a_2.jpg

1026211335a_2.jpg
Both viewing angles of the tank, it is in a corner.

1026211336_2.jpg
A top down shot of the new tank, I especially like the little river I have in there. The soil shouldn't cross with the sand that much since Pearlweed is getting placed in all the intersection points.

Let me your thoughts friends, I would love some feedback! :)

BradleyH2O

I am testing out a few hardscape designs for the 15 gallon column today and I feel I have settled on this hardscape.

Both viewing angles of the tank, it is in a corner.

A top down shot of the new tank, I especially like the little river I have in there. The soil shouldn't cross with the sand that much since Pearlweed is getting placed in all the intersection points.

Let me your thoughts friends, I would love some feedback! :)
That looks pretty amazing!

Mudminnow

It looks like some sort of dragon sitting atop a mountain.

JLAquatics

It looks like some sort of dragon sitting atop a mountain.
I didn't see this until now! However, I now completely see what you are talking about, especially that thicker curved piece of wood high above the stones. As a thanks for pointing this out to me, I am thinking I will name this scape The Dragon's Peak. Thanks for the inspiration friend!

JLAquatics

So I have a new idea now friends from Mudminnow s response as well as my own sister. The wood looks like a dragon perched atop a mountain already, so I wonder if I can use one of those tiny resin dragon skulls from the petstore and make it look like a real dragon on a cliff...

Don't get me wrong, usually I do not like using manmade décor in any of my aquariums. However, I wonder If somehow I can lodge the dragon skull in the curved wood with fishing line. Additionally, I could grow a ton of moss on and around the piece of wood to look like moss has overtaken the dragon. I could also find additional pieces of spider wood to create "wings" on the dragon as well to complete the aesthetic. I have never seen something like this before in aquascaping so I am very curious to see how something like this could turn out. Additionally, if it looks too tacky I could always go the traditional route as well and remove the skull if need be which I feel would also look nice once everyhing grows in. Here are my 2 possible renders today with and without the dragon aesthetic. Let me know what you think friends, I should be starting the real creation this Sunday whichever one I choose.

Traditional Design

Scape Traditional.png

Dragon-like Design

Scape Dragon.png

JLAquatics

Good day friends! I am now running the filter for the new tank in my 29 gallon aquascape to kickstart the cycle process in the new setup. I have not scaped the 15 gallon yet but I plan to this week, I still don't have everything I need yet.

However, I am allowing both the established tanks to get very overgrown so that much of the plant mass will be used for the new setup. Here are some pics of the established tanks (and more pics of fish) today. :)

29 gallon full shot (will be rescaped once the 15 is setup)

1031211008_2.jpg

Neon Tetras looking great with the Anubias and Java Fern. After all this time the Java Fern is finally growing strong in the tank!

1031211008c_2.jpg

The Lambchops are all doing great still! The three new additions have integrated with the school and have all grown considerably in size and color. They are also breeding periodically despite being in harder water with higher pH.

1031211010d_2.jpg

The two remaining Honey Gouramis continue to thrive in the tank with their schooling tankmates!

1031211010g_2.jpg

1031211010_2.jpg

10 gallon jungle

1031211021_2.jpg

Ember Tetras are all doing great. However, it seems that some have staked out territories in the tank now. While they do not harm each other, they all stay in their areas.

1031211020a_2.jpg

1031211021c_2.jpg

The spiky moss is really overgrown now! This is a good thing though, as it will be used in much of the new tank design!

1031211021b_2.jpg

Last but not least, the shrimp continue to live their best lives in both tanks. I caught a conference meeting in the ten gallon right here.

1031211022_2.jpg

I will post more updates with my new 15 gallon column soon, stay awesome everyone. :)

JLAquatics

Greetings all! I just got my 41st fish (all my aquariums) yesterday to call my ten gallon aquascape home. I remember a long time ago saying that I wanted to get a Betta fish for this aquarium. Since the water parameters are extremely stable for a long time now with a ton of plant growth and the tank was looking a bit empty I decided to get a longer finned Betta on impulse. The reason for that is that I did not want to get a Betta with short fins that could easily harass and upset the balance with Ember Tetras and Cherry Shrimp.

1101211125a_2.jpg
He is a very docile yet skittish little fella that is definitely not fully grown yet. To ensure that I got a docile Betta, I held his cup up against other Bettas without any flaring. I also took him over to the fancy guppy tank to no reaction.

1101210954c_2.jpg

1101210954a_2.jpg

1101211135_2.jpg

1101211124_2.jpg
The Ember Tetras were all curious of him but they all leave him alone. He could care less about the Shrimp or Tetras himself so I think he will be a great fit for the ten gallon aquascape.

He was called a Twintail Halfmoon Betta at the shop.

He does not have a name yet, but I am open to some astronomy related ideas though to all you Betta fans out there!

Freshfishguy

Greetings all! I just got my 41st fish (all my aquariums) yesterday to call my ten gallon aquascape home. I remember a long time ago saying that I wanted to get a Betta fish for this aquarium. Since the water parameters are extremely stable for a long time now with a ton of plant growth and the tank was looking a bit empty I decided to get a longer finned Betta on impulse. The reason for that is that I did not want to get a Betta with short fins that could easily harass and upset the balance with Ember Tetras and Cherry Shrimp.

The Ember Tetras were all curious of him but they all leave him alone. He could care less about the Shrimp or Tetras himself so I think he will be a great fit for the ten gallon aquascape.

He was called a Twintail Halfmoon Betta at the shop.
He does not have a name yet, but I am open to some astronomy related ideas though to all you Betta fans out there!
Beautiful betta! I offer up Nebula as a name option :p.

Rose of Sharon

Beautiful twin tail!!!!!

I vote Comet or Sol as possible names.

Motherlovebetta

He’s beautiful. I like Vega (it’s a star in the Lyra constellation)!!

Mbradley17

To everyone on Fishlore, I thank you all for all the excellent guidance given these past few months. You all have truly made the aquarium hobby my favorite hobby of all time! I figured everyone would appreciate me compiling everything I have gained and learned over these past few years pertaining aquarium aquascaping (and into the future) onto this one thread. I figured I would start this thread out by showing the development over time of my first aquascape attempt, my 29 gallon aquarium housing Tetras, Rasboras, Shrimp, and Snails! The tank was started way back in October 2020 before I even became a member on Fishlore. However, I lurked the forums often here because the advice was always fantastic and worthwhile. IMO I think it is really neat seeing the progression of this tank over time, so I will start by sharing that for other members to see. Thank you all for being as awesome as you are! :happy:

October 22, 2020
November 8, 2020
December 31, 2020 (When I joined Fishlore officially)
Wow! Absolutely Beautiful!

JLAquatics

Here are some more photos of my new Betta this morning. The Ember Tetras are very interested in him, but they are not aggressive what so ever to him. They just casually follow him around which is very entertaining.

I also appreciate all the suggestions given! I have finally decided on a name for the new Betta. He is now known as Rigel, based off the blue supergiant star in the Orion constellation. It is the seventh brightest star in our night sky and has an average Lumosity of 170,000 times the sun. This Betta always looks really bright when compared to everything else in the 10 gallon tank. Therefore, I think this will be the perfect name for him. Plus, the Ember Tetras look similar to red dwarf stars, completing the space aesthetic in my opinion. Here are a few more shots of him (I should say Rigel now ;) ) in his new home. I think he is adjusting swimmingly (pun intended).

1102211100a_2.jpg

1102211057e_2.jpg

1102211057f_2.jpg

1102211057c_2.jpg

ViolettesAquarium

Here are some more photos of my new Betta this morning. The Ember Tetras are very interested in him, but they are not aggressive what so ever to him. They just casually follow him around which is very entertaining.

I also appreciate all the suggestions given! I have finally decided on a name for the new Betta. He is now known as Rigel, based off the blue supergiant star in the Orion constellation. It is the seventh brightest star in our night sky and has an average Lumosity of 170,000 times the sun. This Betta always looks really bright when compared to everything else in the 10 gallon tank. Therefore, I think this will be the perfect name for him. Plus, the Ember Tetras look similar to red dwarf stars, completing the space aesthetic in my opinion. Here are a few more shots of him (I should say Rigel now ;) ) in his new home. I think he is adjusting swimmingly (pun intended).

1102211100a_2.jpg

1102211057e_2.jpg

1102211057f_2.jpg

1102211057c_2.jpg
He is so beautiful and big! New member here just looked through all of your thread and I’m obsessed! I would love to get some advice from all you knowledge fish owners with my 45 gallon freshwater! Just purchased two driftwood pieces today and only have fake plants and fake decor besides sometraces
Of Java fern. I looked through your thread for information and ideas of live plants to add in the future! Can’t wait to see your 15g column tank fully thriving!

JLAquatics

He is so beautiful and big! New member here just looked through all of your thread and I’m obsessed! I would love to get some advice from all you knowledge fish owners with my 45 gallon freshwater! Just purchased two driftwood pieces today and only have fake plants and fake decor besides sometraces
Of Java fern. I looked through your thread for information and ideas of live plants to add in the future! Can’t wait to see your 15g column tank fully thriving!
Welcome to Fishlore, ViolettesAquarium! Feel free to make a new thread here on Fishlore for any questions you may have with your tank, I would personally love to help you out and I know of many veteran fishkeepers here that will definitely help. Have fun here as well, we all love to chat about aquatics and many of us on here have multiple tanks.

If you would like me to see any of your new threads, feel free to type out the @ symbol and include my username with no spaces after the symbol. This will tag me to your new thread if you want me to see it.

In the meantime, I will be updating my thread now as I actually started the 15 gallon column but I have not revealed it as of yet. Stay tuned for updates everyone and stay awesome!

JLAquatics

A much needed update after a week and a big one at that! Friends, it is time to change the 29 gallon like I always said I would! I shall begin with the standard update pics and share the more important details down below.

First Up, the 10 gallon!

It was a warm May of 2021 here in Michigan. The 10 gallon aquascape was started not long before, and the shrimp were thriving. However, the tank was missing something small yet peaceful... The Ember Tetras of course! They are small, they are nano schoolers, and they have a ton of activity in a small and colorful package! They would be perfect for the new aquascape. They also love planted tanks, so they are a great fit and feel right at home. Here is what they looked like only a week after they claimed the 10 gallon home!

45.jpg
They had much coloring up to do indeed. Provided with an abundance of clean water and many fast growing plants, they gained color and mass steadily over the next several months. Here is what they look like now.

1115211218c_2.jpg

Along with the Ember Tetras, the 10 gallon tank itself is now mature and in prime shape. Rigel Orionis continues to thrive and gain color after his introduction to the tank a few weeks ago!

1115211229a_2.jpg

Rigel Orionis, the brightest fish in the 10 gallon aquascape constellation!

1115211230a_2.jpg

1115211219b_2.jpg

Other shots, including the shrimp!

1115211256a_2.jpg

1115211219f_2.jpg

15 gallon column!

This tank has not been shared since I showed the hardscape layout in the tank. The plants are currently in a transitional period so the tank is not looking like it should just yet. Here is a current shot of that one. Java Fern and Anubias will be added from the 29 gallon once I make the changes in that aquascape.

1115211220c_2.jpg

Last but not least, the 29 gallon tank!

A new thread will be made dedicated to this tank! I am upgrading many aspects pertaining to this tank. Photos and info down below.

1115211306.jpg

1115211220a_2.jpg
I have now had ten of the Rasboras for over a year now!

This tank has been setup for well over a year now, even before I joined the Fishlore Forum. This tank still uses inert sand and eco-complete and there are many aspects I wish to change now that I have even more experience with fishkeeping and planted tanks. Here are the changes that will follow very soon along with a complete rescape;

30 lbs of soil substrate (ordered already)

Updated plant lights for high tech tanks (ordered already)

Pressurized Co2 system (ordered already)

Co2 drop checker and fluid (ordered already)

A Canister Filter (Will get from a pet shop)

More Dragonstone (Will get soon)

Some high tech carpeting or stem plants (may get once tank is setup)

A serene light background for a more immersive aquascape (ordered already)

Behind the scenes, I have put out almost 400 dollars (with my credit card cashback bonuses) for this tank upgrade. I am dedicated for my water pets and I want them to have the best lives possible with me. I will keep my thread updated as well as the new thread once I start getting my order and supplies gathered. The 29 gallon will be a completely different tank by Christmas. ;)

SouthAmericanCichlids

What is the carpet-like bright green plant in the 10g again? Was it pearlweed?

Whatever it is, does it need Co2?

JLAquatics

What is the carpet-like bright green plant in the 10g again? Was it pearlweed?

Whatever it is, does it need Co2?
Yup, that is correct! One of the best live plants to have in my opinion! I will be putting some in the 29 gallon rescape too once that is done. It pearls all the time in my ten gallon too, so the name given to Pearlweed is very accurate.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Yup, that is correct! One of the best live plants to have in my opinion! I will be putting some in the 29 gallon rescape too once that is done. It pearls all the time in my ten gallon too, so the name given to Pearlweed is very accurate.
Can you have it without Co2?

JLAquatics

Can you have it without Co2?
You can certainly have it without co2 injection in my experience. However, you will need a soil based substrate for it to grow well as well as a planted tank led rated to grow higher light level plants. Without these two things the Pearlweed wont grow into a carpet and grow more elongated. It also has the possibly of breaking away from the substrate due to the lack of healthy root development.

SouthAmericanCichlids

You can certainly have it without co2 injection in my experience. However, you will need a soil based substrate for it to grow well as well as a planted tank led rated to grow higher light level plants. Without these two things the Pearlweed wont grow into a carpet and grow more elongated. It also has the possibly of breaking away from the substrate due to the lack of healthy root development.
Could I just use root tabs?

JLAquatics

Could I just use root tabs?
You could probably somewhat grow the Pearlweed with tabs only, but they would still have a better growth form and density in nutrient rich substrate.

JLAquatics

As an update, I have received the following supplies today!

2 Finnex planted 24/7 plus HLC low profile lights

CO2 drop checker

Light for background

My aquarium soil that I will use in the new design

1117211852.jpg

Here is the wood that will be soaked for the 29 gallon along with a comparison shot to the main tank. I may not use some pieces depending on how I want the final layout to look.

1117211850_2.jpg

1117211849_2.jpg

1117211848_2.jpg

I am still waiting for the co2 kit and the Dragonstone to arrive. In the meantime, I am soaking the wood and soil in a cooler to ensure I have no ammonia spikes once I switch out the main tank.

JLAquatics

The 29 gallon great transition begins right here, right now! Draining water out of the cooler now, which has the soaking wood and soil. Then the tank water will be next and placed in multiple plastic containers along with the fish and shrimp. I will post updates here until I am done with the new scape. Wish me luck friends. :)

JLAquatics

It took the whole day to complete my mission, but everything is almost done now! I placed the fish back in the main tank as the soil already leeched all the ammonia. They should not have a problem. I have the old filter running alongside the new Canister Filter for now and they are clearing the water nicely.

New Hardscape

1129211247.jpg

1129211616 (1).jpg
New Scape partially filled and completed. I added the fish and shrimp after the water cleared some along with their old water which is equivalent to a 50 percent water change for them. I kept some of the old substrate at the bottom of the tank for more bacteria to help seed the new setup. It is already much clearer now but I kept the lights off to ease stress on the tank inhabitants while they adjust.

Small minor adjustments will be made Wednesday as well as installing the CO2 system. I shall share more updates on Wednesday as I work tomorrow, I am excited to create a better home for my fish. :)

JLAquatics

Tank has cleared up completely, but the work is still not done yet! Tomorrow I have to raise the sand substrate up to create a slope to recreate the perspective background.

I also will be planting more of my favorite plant type in the new setup... carpets!

1130211921_2.jpg
Additionally, the new CO2 system will be installed tomorrow.

I am really happy how it looks so far newly planted! I can only imagine how it will look fully grown in! :happy:

SouthAmericanCichlids

Will you be adding a background?

JLAquatics

Will you be adding a background?
The background is a frosted film background. I am planning on adding a backlight behind it to brighten the background up once the large internal filter is removed.

Update for Today, mainly the 29 gallon!

IMG_20211205_113254138.jpg
I edited the scape a little more and settled on this design! I think it will look great once all the plants grow in a bit more. The fish have all transitioned well and the water parameters are completely stable. The co2 system is now at work doing its magic for the plants.

IMG_20211205_113246309.jpg

And as always, here are some fish pics;

IMG_20211205_113411038.jpg

IMG_20211205_104757675.jpg

IMG_20211205_113317317_HDR.jpg

I will be posting another update later today for the other tanks, so stay tuned for more content friends. :)

JLAquatics

Here is my update post for mid December. I finally got around to providing a full update on all of my tanks for once! Here are the details starting with the largest tank;

29 gallon

I removed the internal power filter finally! I also installed the colored background for real this time! Here is how that aquascape looks now, I think I am in love with this new setup even though the plants have not grown in yet! :happy:

IMG_20211212_170258272_2.jpg
This is the daytime look for the tank! While it is nice when the planted tank led lights are at their brightest, it is not my favorite.

Instead, when the lights begin dimming for the night, I turn on the sunset mode on the LEDs. The oranges and reds really make it look like a real sunset.

IMG_20211212_171504439_3.jpg

Here are some closeup shots;

IMG_20211212_171934464_2.jpg

IMG_20211212_173440759_2.jpg

IMG_20211212_173451827_2.jpg

The light also makes the fish look super vibrant in their home. These Neon Tetras look amazing with the light!

IMG_20211212_172122154_2.jpg

IMG_20211212_172117694_2.jpg

15 gallon!

This low tech aquascape continues to grow in robust, even the carpeting plants!

IMG_20211212_174719298_2.jpg
If you look closely, you can see Rigel in there! I decided he would like it in here better with more space, so I put him along with my 4 year old moss ball to live with the shrimp colony.

IMG_20211212_174724515_2.jpg

10 gallon!

This tank is getting a full revamp tomorrow. It is so overgrown I can barely see my Ember Tetras anymore. I will share the final result so stay tuned for more information!

IMG_20211212_175255997_2.jpg

Overall, everything has been very healthy and I have no issues as of now. I also did all my water changes with the exception of the ten gallon as that tank is getting a makeover tomorrow. :)

JLAquatics

I am thinking about breeding my Rasboras and using the current ten gallon housing Ember Tetras as a grow out tank for new potential fry. I can move the Ember Tetras to another tank and begin breeding them as soon as the females fill up with eggs again.

They were breeding prolifically today once again in the 29 gallon display tank, but the Neon Tetras stalked the breeding fish and captured all the eggs like always. If I were to put just a male and female in my ten gallon devoid of any fish I feel like they would really be inclined to breed once they showed the signs of breeding and the females fill up with eggs once more.

Do any of you Fishlorians think you may be interested in some freshly raised Lambchop Rasboras to add to your community tanks down the line?

JLAquatics

It is about time for a full update on my tanks. I will start my day off highlighting the 29 gallon aquascape. I moved my 3 Amano shrimp from the 10 gallon to the 29 gallon to live the rest of their days. I must say, they are very happy in their new home. :)

IMG_20211227_105055260_2.jpg

IMG_20211227_110553204_2.jpg

Here is a full shot of the tank! It has really grown in nicely! (Still got some more work to do though)

IMG_20211227_104634026_2.jpg
It really has become everything I would want in an aquarium:

Lots of Plants
Interesting Scape
Plenty of Activity

IMG_20211227_104830165_2.jpg
The Rasboras continue to be one of the main highlights of this tank. They are colorful and they have a ton of activity in their decent sized school.

The plants themselves have done exceptionally well in the new setup. While the old Java Fern leaves are dying off, I see a ton of new shoots appearing on the rhizomes.

IMG_20211227_110509605_2.jpg

The spiky moss in particular has been filling in these spaces nicely.

IMG_20211227_110500856_2.jpg
The shrimp always love hanging out in these moss sections and their colony is thriving like never seen before. :)

I also found this in the 29 gallon this morning...

IMG_20211227_110446440_2.jpg
...oops. This must have been a bulb that detached from the Tiger Lotus plant when I first did the rescape, which I did not intend to be part of the new design. I could take this out, but maybe it will look really nice in this scape once it starts sending surfaces leaves and as long as I keep it trimmed. Tell me what you all think I should do, friends! ;)

IMG_20211227_105411493_2.jpg
And last but not least, here is a surface shot of my tank looking down at my Pearlweed, Hydrocotyle Japan, and a little bit of Rotala h'ra.

I will be going to the Petstore tomorrow friends, in which I may pick up some more fish, plants, and other supplies to bring home. Stay tuned for the other updates coming soon as well as the first peek at my new 10 gallon aquascape that features a resin dragon head that no one knows about so far. :D

Marlene327

I love your creativity! That Tiger Lotus is a nice surprise I think you should leave there, see how it looks as it grows. Maybe it was meant to be!
The rasboras are a very pretty choice, they really pop around the greenery.
And that dragon head will be something fun! You're bringing in the new year with a bang!

JLAquatics

Here is the update post for today! I haven't been feeling too well health-wise since the start of the new year, but that won't stop me from enjoying my fish!

I did take down the 10 gallon the other day. I plan on revisiting it again quite soon but for now it is just the 29 and 15 column aquascapes setup currently. Today, I am highlighting the 15 gallon column low tech aquascape. :)

IMG_20220106_103542311_2.jpg

IMG_20220106_103603032_2.jpg

IMG_20220106_103624280_2.jpg

IMG_20220106_104415779_2.jpg
Despite being low tech, the Limnophila, Spiky Moss and Pearlweed as been dominating the background, midground, and foreground respectively. In a tank with lower lighting and only occasional fertilization, it is doing immaculate at this time! Of course, the fish themselves are doing very well in addition to the tank itself, so this is a success story in my book.

The Ember Tetras are adjusting to their new home seamlessly. They now venture to the front just like their celebrity leader.

IMG_20220106_104155324.jpg

IMG_20220106_104226506_2.jpg
My 11 Ember Tetras (Hyphessobrycon amandae)

We cant forget about the star of the green carpet (get the joke? :hilarious:), Rigel Orionis is as famous of a Betta as they come.

IMG_20220106_103339744_2.jpg

His color is flawless and super vibrant! compare to when I first got him a few months prior...

1102211057c_2.jpg

Rigel has really evolved into the superstar he was named after. While I originally intended for the Betta to only stay in the 15 gallon until the ten gets setup again, everything is doing so well at this point I am wondering if I should even bother changing anything. With his Ember Tetra paparazzi and Cherry Shrimp followers I am now starting to believe Rigel has found his new permanent home.

Marlene327

Rigel's coloration is so beautiful, what a nice change! The tank has really filled in with greenery and they all look like happy fish!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SterSter
Replies
Views
JLAquatics
Replies
Views
ANudibranch
Replies
Views
CHJ
  • Question
Replies
Views
Magnus919

Random Great Thread!

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore
Top Bottom