JL's Aquascapes and Fish - Page 4

JLAquatics

Just in case you’re unsure of which Maracyn to go with — I would go with Maracyn 2 if you have a choice because it treats gram negative bacterial illnesses which are what most bacterial illnesses are.
They did not have Maracyn at all, so I chose Kanaplex instead. The treatment has begun and all carbon has been removed from the filter.

SouthAmericanCichlids

What foods did you end up getting.

JLAquatics

What foods did you end up getting.
They did not have frozen foods or foods from the Omega line, so I ended up purchasing some Cobalt Aquatics flake food, Xtreme Krill flakes and some New Life Spectrum Pellets for now until I find some more. It is certainly better than what I had before.

Pfrozen

I lost a honey yesterday to dropsy oddly enough. Hope your luck improves my friend. (And mine too!)

ime the rasboras are incredibly hardy when it comes to body/mouth fungus... I know this is a controversial opinion around here but if you isolate them feel free to try Pimafix... it gets a bad rap because of the tea tree oil found in mela/betta fix but Pimafix is Bay Tree oil... I've actually had excellent results with it and believe that it is a solid product for treating body/mouth fungus... just don't use it with the gouramis in there because I haven't tried it with labyrinth fish and you never know with their particular sensitivities

JLAquatics

I lost a honey yesterday to dropsy oddly enough. Hope your luck improves my friend. (And mine too!)

ime the rasboras are incredibly hardy when it comes to body/mouth fungus... I know this is a controversial opinion around here but if you isolate them feel free to try Pimafix... it gets a bad rap because of the tea tree oil found in mela/betta fix but Pimafix is Bay Tree oil... I've actually had excellent results with it and believe that it is a solid product for treating body/mouth fungus... just don't use it with the gouramis in there because I haven't tried it with labyrinth fish and you never know with their particular sensitivities
I guess we are in the hard times of fish keeping together, friend. I am sending best wishes for better days ahead for both of us.

After searching a bit more online, it is determined that the 3 Rasboras do have Columnaris and not true fungus. (which is even worse) :( I am glad I ended up getting the Kanaplex in this case though. I do not have Furan 2 so I hope that this will be good enough for treatment. I would separate the 3 fish affected, but since it is a contagious disease it is probably best to treat the whole tank regardless. Plants can grow back if they are negatively affected, fish cannot. I will keep this thread updated on what happens, it may go either way at this point, only time will tell...

Pfrozen

I guess we are in the hard times of fish keeping together, friend. I am sending best wishes for better days ahead for both of us.

After searching a bit more online, it is determined that the 3 Rasboras do have Columnaris and not true fungus. (which is even worse) :( I am glad I ended up getting the Kanaplex in this case though. I do not have Furan 2 so I hope that this will be good enough for treatment. I would separate the 3 fish affected, but since it is a contagious disease it is probably best to treat the whole tank regardless. Plants can grow back if they are negatively affected, fish cannot. I will keep this thread updated on what happens, it may go either way at this point, only time will tell...

Thanks friend, same here. I'll be watching for updates!! Best of luck with the treatment regime

JLAquatics

Update: The first Rasbora has succumbed to the infection last night. :( He was the most severe case and already had the bacteria growing on his body and gill plate, there was almost no chance of him recovering. Of the 11 Rasboras left, some have slightly discolored fins but other than that they are all eating like hogs and acting normal otherwise. The next most severe case has a discolored dorsal and pectoral fin. He is the one with a slightly crooked back. I really enjoy him (has a lot of personality for a Rasbora), so I hope he and the others will make a full recovery.

JLAquatics

Update! After arriving home from work I inspected the tank. First off, no more deaths! :D Second, all but one of the Rasboras have no signs of the infection anymore. The Rasboras with the minor cases are already repairing the damaged and discolored fins. There is only one left that is not doing as good. He is the Rasbora with the crooked spine. He still has the discolored fins, but he eats readily and still acts healthy otherwise. I will continue to monitor tomorrow, but this is a good sign with the tank indeed. Tetras and Gourami's still remain unaffected.

With the exception of Omega One and a frozen food, this is my new food stash! I think the fish will appreciate the variety. :)

21249.jpeg

Pfrozen

Update! After arriving home from work I inspected the tank. First off, no more deaths! :D Second, all but one of the Rasboras have no signs of the infection anymore. The Rasboras with the minor cases are already repairing the damaged and discolored fins. There is only one left that is not doing as good. He is the Rasbora with the crooked spine. He still has the discolored fins, but he eats readily and still acts healthy otherwise. I will continue to monitor tomorrow, but this is a good sign with the tank indeed. Tetras and Gourami's still remain unaffected. With the exception of Omega One and a frozen food, this is my new food stash! I think the fish will appreciate the variety. :)

21249.jpeg

Great update!! So sorry to hear about your one loss though :(

This is pretty ironic but I just found out that I didn't communicate my feeding schedule clearly.. so my wife has been feeding freeze-dried copepods and nothing else while I'm at work lol. Seems my issue was also impacted by food

Lets power through this! :D

JLAquatics

Update: All Rasboras have no sign of the infection except the one still. All of the fish act completely normal and eat like hogs, but this little fellow hangs by himself and still looks sick.

0717211742a.jpg
0717211742.jpg
Notics the abnormalities in his dorsal and pectoral fin. He breathes normal and likely still eats, but he does hang by himself and not with his school.

0717211743.jpg
0717211743a.jpg
The other fish (shrimp and plants too) handling the medication like a boss. They are doing really well and swarm the front again to eat their new food! :D

I have a question on personal opinions on what you think I should do now.

1. Set up a quarantine tank and put the sick fish still showing symptoms in and treat him by himself with another dose. Do a water change in the 29 gallon and put the filter back in to reduce stress on all the healthy fish.

2. Treat once again in the main display tank with all the fish without water change until another 48 hours pass.

SouthAmericanCichlids

If everyone's okay after the first time, I'd say just do it again.

JLAquatics

If everyone's okay after the first time, I'd say just do it again.
Thinking about it a little more, I completely agree. Better not take risks now that I have seen some positive progress with the fish so far. I am sure with all the plants the cycle will be stabilized quickly after the second round is done. I put the sicker Rasbora back into the main tank. I test fed him and he still eats rapidly. Maybe this one can be saved. :)

JLAquatics

I bear more bad news this morning in the 29g. Three Rasboras now show signs of the infection. In the one that has it the worst, while his dorsal fin is improving, the infection on his pectoral is not, meaning that he likely has an infection on his body already. I think I will have to say goodbye to him very soon. :( There are two other Rasboras showing signs of the infection on their pelvic fins now... Oh dear. I may lose all my Rasboras at this point. Despite all of this, the Tetras and Gouramis still remain unaffected, which baffles me greatly. Since this infection seems to be spreading, I seperated the three and begun cleaning out the 29 gallon. I certainly do not want the infected fish spreading this stuff to the other fish. I am getting Furan 2 in conjunction to the Kanaplex today, I want this stupid bacteria to pay! :mad:

SouthAmericanCichlids

The one that isn't improving may have a compromised immune system and it may be in the best interest for the rest of your fish, to euthanize. Just a thought, but if you do set up a qt, make sure that you don't cross contaminate.

A201

I'm sorry to read about your struggle w/ Columnaris. It's more than just my opinion, aquarium specific antibiotics rarely cure fish. Just review the mountain of related threads, which document fish antibiotic failures.
Using antibiotics in the display tank will likely put a big dent in the BB, or totally wipe it out. The resulting unstable water parameters have the potential to stress the healthy tankmates, opening them up to infection.
IMO, best to remove any obviously infected fish asap and either euthanize or treat in a hospital tank.
After removal, a big 50% WC would be a good idea.
Hope things get better soon.

JLAquatics

I'm sorry to read about your struggle w/ Columnaris. It's more than just my opinion, aquarium specific antibiotics rarely cure fish. Just review the mountain of related threads, which document fish antibiotic failures.
Using antibiotics in the display tank will likely put a big dent in the BB, or totally wipe it out. The resulting unstable water parameters have the potential to stress the healthy tankmates, opening them up to infection.
IMO, best to remove any obviously infected fish asap and either euthanize or treat in a hospital tank.
After removal, a big 50% WC would be a good idea.
Hope things get better soon.
I am actually doing this right now. I have a 2.5 gallon setup with the three Rasboras showing signs of the infection. The main tank is getting a deep clean now as I agree, I wouldn't want this horrible stuff spreading to my healthy fish.
Water change done. All the "seemilngly healthy fish" look good and are swimming around. Despite the past couple days, the remaining healthy Rasboras are mating with eachother again! What is with these fish!? The three isolated fish are eating still and two of them don't look to bad. I hope I can get some of these fish back to health...

JLAquatics

I got the Furan 2, so treatment with the Kanaplex and Furan 2 duo has begun and will proceed as outlined on the Columnaris treatment thread on this forum. The fish are all eating well still, even all those Rasboras with the infection. I am not giving up on my little fellas just yet.

JLAquatics

Update: I just lost one more Rasbora (The crooked one) this morning, but the others are now showing some signs of improvement.

0720211617b.jpg

0720211617.jpg
C'mon Rasboras, I know you can hang on!

I also tested the water and it came back with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 10 nitrate so that is a plus as well.

On another note, the 10 gallon aquarium is super overgrown now! I had almost no time to trim it after all these events with the Columnaris. I will be doing a massive trim tomorrow and will begin dosing some APT fertilizer.

0720211617c.jpg
The pearlweed carpet is almost three inches long now! Once I trim some out and put them in the 29 gallon (along with getting this infection under control) I will begin testing on the amazing Vishaquatics custom root tabs! These are new products he is designing and I will be using them as a non-biased test to their performance on plant growth. Stay tuned for more content and hopefully a recovery post. Fingers crossed.

JLAquatics

The fish are improving some more! They are all looking much better this morning! Even the one that has it the worse is beginning to improve. They all have their fins out and are acting normal once more! However, the infection still remains in very small amounts on some of the fins.

tested water today with 0 ammonia and nitrite with only 10 nitrates. These plants have been doing wonders in this tank! The shrimp and snails have not died from the medication either and still resuming normal behaviors.

0721210913_2.jpg

0721210914_2.jpg

0721210914a_2.jpg
Who knows, if some of these Rasboras can make it through I will replenish their school with new individuals. I just love these little fish too much!

A201, I have a question for you. Even without treatment, if a fish has only the start of columnaris will it be able to fight off the infection provided the fish is in a stress free environment and clean water with some nutritious food? I really appreciate the insight, friend!

Vishaquatics, I will also begin dosing your tabs in the 10 gallon today after the trim and water change. I am specifically testing the Tripartita Japan as it has been struggling, but other plants will also get factored in.

Tune in for a complete recovery post in the 29 (hopefully) and an interesting plant experiment in the 10 as well!

A201

I believe there are four different strains of Columnaris. Two of the most virulent strains are almost always fatal & readily spread. They cause very quick deaths. A third strain is usually fatal too, but it results in a long drawn out death & not readily spread.
IMO, The fourth strain is treatable, if caught in time, & preventable. It's probably the most common form of the bacteria encountered in home aquariums.
A fish infected with the less lethal form of Columnaris might be able to recover from the disease if provided foods & an environment that promotes an improved immune system. Meds might work against the less lethal form too but prevention is the best defense against Columnaris.
Note: some strains of Columnaris initially infect & damage the intestines of a fish before external symptoms are observed. In those cases recovery is unlikely.

JLAquatics

I believe there are four different strains of Columnaris. Two of the most virulent strains are almost always fatal & readily spread. They cause very quick deaths. A third strain is usually fatal too, but it results in a long drawn out death & not readily spread.
IMO, The fourth strain is treatable, if caught in time, & preventable. It's probably the most common form of the bacteria encountered in home aquariums.
A fish infected with the less lethal form of Columnaris might be able to recover from the disease if provided foods & an environment that promotes an improved immune system. Meds might work against the less lethal form too but prevention is the best defense against Columnaris.
Note: some strains of Columnaris initially infect & damage the intestines of a fish before external symptoms are observed. In those cases recovery is unlikely.
I really appreciate you! What I have is definitely not the first two strains or all of my fish would be dead by now. I either have the third or fourth, the latter being much more likely. The strain I have does not grow on the mouth or on their back but favors the fins insteaad. In advanced cases, it begins attacking the gill plate where death always follows. I know it is not fungus as it grows in more of a sheet rather than tufts of cotton.

0721211002a_2.jpg
This Rasbora is now the most severe case out of the 10 I have left (lost two so far). However, he is in pretty good shape other than one of his ventral fins and acts completely normal with great color.

Mudminnow

I really like this 10 gallon of yours. At first glance, it looks like a bigger tank than what it is. Well done.

JLAquatics

I really like this 10 gallon of yours. At first glance, it looks like a bigger tank than what it is. Well done.
Thank you, Mudminnow! I am really happy with how it turned out and it does create a sort of illusion! It helps that there are only small residents living in there (Ember Tetras, Cherry Shrimp, a few Amanos). I did a ton of trimming with it today and I will show the updated pics of the 10 gallon tomorrow if you are interested. It does have rockwork believe it or not. If you look throughout this entire thread, you will be able to see how much this little tank has changed in it's mere 3 months of operation.

Mudminnow

Thank you, Mudminnow! I am really happy with how it turned out and it does create a sort of illusion! It helps that there are only small residents living in there (Ember Tetras, Cherry Shrimp, a few Amanos). I did a ton of trimming with it today and I will show the updated pics of the 10 gallon tomorrow if you are interested. It does have rockwork believe it or not. If you look throughout this entire thread, you will be able to see how much this little tank has changed in it's mere 3 months of operation.
I did look back at some of your old photos. It's funny how your rocks are now completely obscured. But, it looks good this way. I think, in addition to having small residents, you also create the illusion of a larger tank in another way. Your stem plants with larger leaves are in front of the ones with smaller leaves. It kind of gives it a forced perspective of sorts.

JLAquatics

I did look back at some of your old photos. It's funny how your rocks are now completely obscured. But, it looks good this way. I think, in addition to having small residents, you also create the illusion of a larger tank in another way. Your stem plants with larger leaves are in front of the ones with smaller leaves. It kind of gives it a forced perspective of sorts.
You have the eye of an aquascaper indeed. The goal for the 10 gallon was so that it could be a nature styled aquascape. The 29 gallon used to be a nature as well until I converted it to the jungle style. Having the ability to notice these kind of tricks I used makes me want to see some of your own setups.

On another note, thank you again for your kind words and I will be sure to continue updating my thread. I may even be creating more setups if I can get the 29 gallon under control with the infection once more. :)

JLAquatics

Here is the large update for today. I will begin with a status report of the 29 gallon. The infection is receding on the remaining fish and I only lost two fish! However, I am now out of Furan 2 and I do not want to dose the Kanaplex again by itself.

A201, do you think I should provide an ideal tank for these guys as they are on the road to recovery with no more meds? I am doing a large water change and putting all the filter media back into the tank pretty soon. Curiously enough, all the water tests came out great so the plants kept the water in good shape for the fish! The likelihood of this columnaris being a super deadly strain is increasingly unlikely IMO so I wonder if the fish can now be able to fight this off on their own provided that I ensure they get optimal care from my end.

Here are how the lil fishies look today! (The only plant that died during the treatment was the Hornwort and all inverts are still doing well)

0722211310e_2.jpg

0722211310d_2.jpg

0722211252b_2.jpg

0722211311f_2.jpg
Plants are covering the top of the tank. However, the water level is a bit lower than normal and will get filled back up once I decide my next course of action. I will also be testing Vishaquatics tabs in this setup soon for a new carpet of plants.

10 gallon got a massive hair cut yesterday!

0721211418_2.jpgAll the plant clippings in a large bucket

0722211252c_2.jpgNew Look

0722211252g_2.jpg

0722211306_2.jpg

0722211252h_2.jpg
My Ember Tetras are gaining more color each day!

To conclude, I placed some of Vishaquatics root tabs where the Crypts and Tripartita Japan are currently. Let's see if his new formula will rejuvenate these plants. :)

Attachments

• 0722211306b_2.jpg
    0722211306b_2.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 20

SouthAmericanCichlids

You're ember tetras are looking awesome! I have loved watching your tanks progress.

JLAquatics

You're ember tetras are looking awesome! I have loved watching your tanks progress.
Thanks, friend! I highly enjoy watching tanks progress over time too, one of my favorite aspects of aquascaping aquariums. If I can get this infection under control in the 29 gallon, I may setup a shrimp bowl scape for the strange red rili shrimps with red spots I have been seeing in the cull tank and I in fact have males and females with this strange pattern. The 10 gallon is about at it's final form, but the 29 gallon needs a little more work to become what I want it to look like. :)

SouthAmericanCichlids

Thanks, friend! I highly enjoy watching tanks progress over time too. If I can get this infection under control in the 29 gallon, I may setup a shrimp bowl scape for the strange red rili shrimps with red spots I have been seeing in the cull tank and I in fact have males and females with this strange pattern. The 10 gallon is about at it's final form, but the 29 gallon needs a little more work. :)
Once they each are done it would be cool to have a week by week full tank photo shot compilation.

JLAquatics

Once they each are done it would be cool to have a week by week full tank photo shot compilation.
I agree, that would be pretty neat indeed. It could be just like how I started this thread. In fact, I could do the 10 gallon tank now if you and others are interested. I have about 25-30 full shots of the tank over time so far. :)

Should I do it on this thread or a new thread?

A201

Pretty tank. Looks like a great environment for recovery.

SouthAmericanCichlids

I agree, that would be pretty neat indeed. It could be just like how I started this thread. In fact, I could do the 10 gallon tank now if you and others are interested. I have about 25-30 full shots of the tank over time so far. :)

Should I do it on this thread or a new thread?
Maybe leave a link here and make a new one so more people can see it.

JLAquatics

Pretty tank. Looks like a great environment for recovery.

It is reassuring to hear that from you! I think they got the Columnaris in the first place by a bad diet and a little stress from breeding, which is why only the Rasboras contracted it. I in no way think they got it from bad water quality. I do weekly water changes and even if I didn't the plants always keep up with the excess organices. I got a good variety of foods now and I am hoping I can be done with medications. I appreciate all the help you gave me, A201! You are awesome. :)

Maybe leave a link here and make a new one so more people can see it.

Sounds like a plan. I will be making a post within the next few hours, better come up with a name for this scape. ;)

SouthAmericanCichlids

Sounds like a plan. I will be making a post within the next few hours, better come up with a name for this scape. ;)
How about, the monster in plants. (Off the monster in Paris) As the sticks look like claws coming out of the plants lol, not very good.

JLAquatics

How about, the monster in plants. (Off the monster in Paris) As the sticks look like claws coming out of the plants lol, not very good.
How about the Dragon's Thicket?

SouthAmericanCichlids

How about the Dragon's Thicket?
That's much better lol, I like it.

JLAquatics

Update, the Columnaris is almost gone completely, just a bit left on some fins of the fish but it is noticeably disappearing more day by day. However, the Wisteria plants in the 29 gallon began shedding really bad, probably due to the prolonged use of medications. As a result, I did a large water change and replanted the background of this tank along with dosing much of Vishaquatics root tabs, the meds really did a number on this setup. I am hoping Vishaquatic's new formula can rejuvenate the background to become the great jungle it was before, I am pretty confident in his new product though. :)

0724211610b.jpg
Luckily, the plants did not completely die and I salvaged the mid and foregrounds. The background needed some restructuring so it was a great time to dose those new root tabs. Here are the new planted areas as well as a few other shots.

0724211610.jpg

0724211610a.jpg

However, on another sad note one of the Honey Gouramis is completely gone (only spot the two for 3 days now)... No body... no trace... no nothing. It is a shame too, she was my favorite little gal. However, with all new fish losses such as this are to be expected. :(

JLAquatics

Finally, some seemingly good news is in store for the 29 gallon tank after all this time! :D

First things first, despite me not using the meds anymore, the remaining 10 Rasboras are almost completely healed from the infection (they are improving every day)! They are also laying a ton of eggs (The gouramis love to eat) and I feel they are much more active once more which IMO is a great sign!

0726211430b.jpg

The 13 Tetras and the remaining two Gouramis are still unaffected which is great news!

0726211430a.jpg
They are even gaining more color! I love these little Gouramis very much! Even though the one loss was a big setback, if these two females do well for the next few months I will buy another female and my first male to complete the group as well as replacing the losses with the Rasboras!

0726211430.jpg
The tank had a big die back plant-wise from the meds, sadly. However, the water is clear and the meds should be gone now that the activated carbon is back in the tank. Now it is time to return this tank to it's former glory. To aid in this process, Vishaquatics new formulated root tabs were placed all over the back and side section of the aquarium to allow these plants to grow again. I am here to test his products to see if they will achieve great plant growth over a long period of time. I will keep this thread updated with progress if anyone is interested, but I think they will perform excellent based on his skills and knowledge of plants!

If all is well with the 29 gallon for the next month or so with no more illness and death, I may start by adding a group of Amanos to this setup as they have done wonders for the 10 gallon aquascape and complete the group of Rasboras and Honey Gouramis once more. :)

SouthAmericanCichlids

Well if the rasboras are laying, would you be able to hatch them? Or are they hard to raise?

JLAquatics

Update! The infection is practically gone completely! :D The fish are almost in prime shape again and the water is finally clear of all that yellow from the furan 2. The tank breathes life once more! Now it is just a waiting game for the plants to bounce back once again! Once the tank reaches a certain plant density again, new Honeys and Lambchops will be joining the ranks of the current residents.

Note: Phone is dead so no pics today.

Well if the rasboras are laying, would you be able to hatch them? Or are they hard to raise?
This will be considered. It would be fun raising baby Lambchops and sharing them on the forum for sure. ;)

JLAquatics

Here is another update for today! After following the advice of A201 and other users here on Fishlore, I think the columnaris infection is finally gone completely! The Rasbora's fins are all in great shape and all of them actively swim with their fins out once more like little bosses. All the fish are healthy once more! Yay! I also began dosing APT complete in my tanks a week ago and I already see substantial improvement in my plants in both tanks! Here is the lowdown today;

29 Gallon!

0728211010_2.jpg
The tank with all the problems the last few weeks, the plants perked up significantly once I cleared out the meds and dosed Vish's root tabs alongside APT. I think this tank will become even thicker with growth once it grows in again! :D

This is the new fert regime for this tank;
Easy Green: 1 pump three times a week
APT Complete: 1 capful three times a week
Co2 is now being injected into this setup to ensure the plants grow quicker!

For you, Vishaquatics. Your root tabs have not harmed any of my livestock so far! It is still quite early to tell if they will help plant growth, but seeing all the stems perking up very quickly in the 29 gallon points to a very good sign. I will keep you updated on new developments with your tabs. :)

The plant clippings on the sides and back of the tank perked up quickly! It will mainly consist of Water Wisteria along with some Limnophila Heterophylla and Pogostemen Octopus.

0728211011_2.jpg

0728211010b_2.jpg
Shrimp are also still kicking in this setup, here is a decently red one I found today in the large tank.

0728211011a_2.jpg

10 Gallon!

0728211021a_2.jpg
Check out the plant growth in this setup now! They are absolutely insane! Plant growth was always fantastic in this tank from the beginning, but the tank never looked this lush before! I only dose APT and a few of Vish's root tabs in this tank as Easy Green puts too much nitrogen in this small setup. Here are a few other shots of the tank.

0727211845b_2.jpg

0728211023c_2.jpg
I placed a water lily in this tank just to see what would happen. It sure is growing well and provides a great contrast to the Bacopa and Water Wisteria. I will keep this trimmed down big time but I really like it where it is!

0728211023b_2.jpg
This Pearlweed was trimmed less than a week ago and already has a ton of new side shoots! It has become a weed indeed in this setup. :)

0728211023_2.jpg
The Ember Tetras continue to gain color! Many of them are a nice deep orange now, probably from the better food regime I have been feeding them.

Thank you all on Fishlore for being there when times of Fishkeeping becomes tough. It is because of all of you that encourages me to not give up on my fish because of Columnaris! You also encourage me to explore this amazing planted tank hobby more and be able to provide the best possible lives for the fish in my care. Thank you all again and more updates will be posted soon on this thread as always!
-JLAquatics

Vishaquatics

Glad to hear the root tabs haven't had any impacts on livestock. I've specifically formulated them to be livestock safe, even if they are accidentally overdosed.

For the 29G, are you using both easy green and APT Complete at the same time?

JLAquatics

Glad to hear the root tabs haven't had any impacts on livestock. I've specifically formulated them to be livestock safe, even if they are accidentally overdosed.

For the 29G, are you using both easy green and APT Complete at the same time?
Yes, I am in this tank. However, the doses are seperated. For the Easy green, they recommend a pump per 10 gallon twice a week. In that case, I would be doing a pump every day since the tank is 29 gallons, my old regiment. Now, I am splitting it between Easy Green and APT, APT recommends one capful per 25 gallons 4 times a week. So, to balance everything out to ensure I don't overdose by doing the following;
1 single pump of Easy Green 3-4 times a week or every other day and one Capful of APT every other day. Easy Green and APT are not dosed at the same time, but used separately each day with an alternation. The reason for this is that I want to use up the Easy Green (still a great fert) and offer a transition period to just APT in the future. Trust me, Vish, with the plant growth I have seen last week I am going to use APT alone after Easy Green is gone. When I thought Easy Green was the best all in one APT is an even larger improvement IME.

Vishaquatics

Yes, I am in this tank. However, the doses are seperated. For the Easy green, they recommend a pump per 10 gallon twice a week. In that case, I would be doing a pump every day since the tank is 29 gallons, my old regiment. Now, I am splitting it between Easy Green and APT, APT recommends one capful per 25 gallons 4 times a week. So, to balance everything out to ensure I don't overdose by doing the following;
1 single pump of Easy Green 3-4 times a week or every other day and one Capful of APT every other day. Easy Green and APT are not dosed at the same time, but used separately each day with an alternation. The reason for this is that I want to use up the Easy Green (still a great fert) and offer a transition period to just APT in the future. Trust me, Vish, with the plant growth I have seen last week I am going to use APT alone after Easy Green is gone. When I thought Easy Green was the best all in one APT is an even larger improvement IME.

Makes sense, this would definitely be an easy way to also utilize the rest of your Easy Green too. I too was surprised when I first started using APT Complete. I wasn't expecting such a drastic difference in growth and coloration, but the difference was so tremendous after just a few months of use. I've used tons of all-in-ones and APT Complete takes the cake. Glad you are also noticing similar results.

JLAquatics

Makes sense, this would definitely be an easy way to also utilize the rest of your Easy Green too. I too was surprised when I first started using APT Complete. I wasn't expecting such a drastic difference in growth and coloration, but the difference was so tremendous after just a few months of use. I've used tons of all-in-ones and APT Complete takes the cake. Glad you are also noticing similar results.
I agree completely! I mean, just look at this Pearlweed after trimming from just one week back! It looks like I never even trimmed this carpet and the only change with this tank was the APT!

0728211648.jpg
This all in one is insane! Hopefully it can bring my Hydrocotyle Tripartita back...

AverageAquarist22

I’m sorry if you‘ve been asked/ answered this question before, but I’m just curious to know the stocking of your 29?

JLAquatics

I’m sorry if you‘ve been asked/ answered this question before, but I’m just curious to know the stocking of your 29?
This is the current tally after the recent Columnaris outbreak in the tank. Keep in mind that this tank is overstocked but I have two things helping me out.
1. Weekly water changes of 50 percent and regular fish tank maintenance
2. A ton of live plants. They keep the nitrates below 20 at all times. I only change the water to take out other excess organics

Stocking
2 Honey Gouramis as the centerpiece fish (plan to make this 4 pretty soon with 3f and 1m)
10 Lambchop Rasboras as the top schoolers (plan to make this 12 once again)
13 Neon Tetras as the mid schoolers
Tons of Neocardinia on the bottom
Various small snails

Everything gets along perfectly and my community setup is very colorful and active. Most importantly, they are all happy and content living with eachother.

If you are not using a lot of live plants or regularly changing the water I would cut the schoolers in half or completely eliminate one of the schoolers and have up to three Honeys with the shrimp.

AverageAquarist22

Oh, I wasn’t asking for my own tank, I just wanted to know what you had in yours because I like hearing about other people‘s tanks :)

JLAquatics

Update in the 29 gallon today! Columnaris is completely gone as far as can tell! The fish are all active and robust once more without doubt.

0729211740_2.jpg
This is the current status of this aquarium.

0729211741b_2.jpg

0729211740b_2.jpg
Here are a group of the surviving Rasboras. I am so happy I was able to save most of them. :)

0729211340a_2.jpg
The 2 remaining Honey Gouramis are doing well too. I will definitely be getting more to create a little group once the plants grow in a little more, they miss the company for sure...

0729211743_2.jpg

Not that kind of company maam! Swim away from the shrimp! :hilarious:
(No shrimp was harmed in the making of this image)

Vishaquatics new tabs are also put to the test with this Pearlweed. I will post some updates in the coming weeks with both tanks regarding the tabs, stay tuned. :)

0729211741f_2.jpg
Hopefully it will create a nice rich carpet in the 29 gallon like the 10 gallon. I now inject co2 and dose APT in the 29 gallon, so I am sure I will not be dissapointed by the results.

0729211741e_2.jpg

0729211741d_2.jpg
Here are the other background plants in each corner of the tank. They still got some filling in to do, but they definitely look better than last week.

More updates coming soon!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SterSter
Replies
Views
JLAquatics
Replies
Views
ANudibranch
Replies