JL's Aquascapes and Fish

JLAquatics
Member
To everyone on Fishlore, I thank you all for all the excellent guidance given these past few months. You all have truly made the aquarium hobby my favorite hobby of all time! I figured everyone would appreciate me compiling everything I have gained and learned over these past few years pertaining aquarium aquascaping (and into the future) onto this one thread. I figured I would start this thread out by showing the development over time of my first aquascape attempt, my 29 gallon aquarium housing Tetras, Rasboras, Shrimp, and Snails! The tank was started way back in October 2020 before I even became a member on Fishlore. However, I lurked the forums often here because the advice was always fantastic and worthwhile. IMO I think it is really neat seeing the progression of this tank over time, so I will start by sharing that for other members to see. Thank you all for being as awesome as you are! :happy:


Oct22 2020.jpg
October 22, 2020


Nov8 2020.jpg
November 8, 2020


Dec31 2020.jpg
December 31, 2020 (When I joined Fishlore officially)


Jan27 2021.jpg
January 27, 2021


Feb17 2021.jpg
February 17, 2021


Mar29 2021 .jpg
March 20, 2021


Aprl19 2021.jpg
April 19, 2021


May14 2021.jpg
May 14, 2021
 
Marlene327
Member
Just simply delightful and a pleasure to look at. My aqua scaping skills are almost nonexistent, it's overwhelming to me and I'd have no idea where to begin. Maybe with a fantastic piece of DW. Then... yes, a blank stare!

Really great job!
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
Mar1111 said:
Just simply delightful and a pleasure to look at. My aqua scaping skills are almost nonexistent, it's overwhelming to me and I'd have no idea where to begin. Maybe with a fantastic piece of DW. Then... yes, a blank stare!

Really great job!
Don't worry about it! Anyone IMO can create an aquascape if they just put your mind to it with the right resourses! Maybe this article I wrote a while back can help you out some?
Aquascaping Tips and Tricks for a Beginner
If you need anything else tips wise from me, feel free to pm me anytime and I can help you create something truly amazing! ;)
 
Marlene327
Member
JLAquatics said:
Don't worry about it! Anyone IMO can create an aquascape if they just put your mind to it with the right resourses! Maybe this article I wrote a while back can help you out some?
Aquascaping Tips and Tricks for a Beginner
If you need anything else tips wise from me, feel free to pm me anytime and I can help you create something truly amazing! ;)
I guess my greatest issue now is that I have a 40 gallon wide, established for 1.5 years with about 30 fish and lots of shrimp. I can't tear it down and start over! I recently got more plants going and wouldn't want to disturb their roots either. Sooo, I'll have to be content with my flatscape and just enjoy seeing what you and others do.

I have one large piece of DW I might be able to put back in and work around, if anything. I had it the first 3 months with this tank. I boiled and soaked and soaked it, but it never stopped turning my water dark. Some like that effect, but just getting a new tank and fish, I wanted to be able to SEE them! Perhaps I could work on soaking it again. Just the wrong type of wood for my preference. It was pretty tho!
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
Mar1111 said:
I guess my greatest issue now is that I have a 40 gallon wide, established for 1.5 years with about 30 fish and lots of shrimp. I can't tear it down and start over! I recently got more plants going and wouldn't want to disturb their roots either. Sooo, I'll have to be content with my flatscape and just enjoy seeing what you and others do.

I have one large piece of DW I might be able to put back in and work around, if anything. I had it the first 3 months with this tank. I boiled and soaked and soaked it, but it never stopped turning my water dark. Some like that effect, but just getting a new tank and fish, I wanted to be able to SEE them! Perhaps I could work on soaking it again. Just the wrong type of wood for my preference. It was pretty tho!
For sure. I just wanted to give you an opportunity if you were planning a rescape or new tank, but I completely understand either way! You could always do more groups of stem plants in your setup. They would add extra height to your design and not really require you to do an entire rescape. But I know whatever you decide to do will be the best for your fish. :)
 
Rose of Sharon
Member
Is your driftwood store bought?

And in the first pic, is that spider wood?
 
alven
Member
JLAquatics said:
Anyone IMO can create an aquascape if they just put your mind to it with the right resourses!
Very very very very very nice tanks! I also agree that anyone can create a good aqua scape if they put their minds to it, but you my friend, you're very talented! That's why you're a guru in this part of the hobby, so good job. = )
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
Rose of Sharon said:
Is your driftwood store bought?

And in the first pic, is that spider wood?
All the driftwood in the tank is store bought Spiderwood. The design utilizes 11 different pieces (one big piece/ 10 smaller pieces). The reason I did this is that it allowed me to manipulate the shape of the design more than if I just used 2 large pieces.

aIvinn said:
Very very very very very nice tanks! I also agree that anyone can create a good aqua scape if they put their minds to it, but you my friend, you're very talented! That's why you're the guru in this part of the hobby, so good job. = )
I appreciate the kind words greatly! Just because of this simple badge it doesn't make me better with designing aquascapes than anyone else. If anything, all that badge shows that I love to talk about aquascaping aquariums much more than the average Fishlore member. :D
 
Rose of Sharon
Member
Alvinn's right. You and Stargirl can both probably give lessons to those of us who are creativity-challenged!!! :)

Maybe a job for after you retire, or a new business idea?
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
Rose of Sharon said:
Alvinn's right. You and Stargirl can both probably give lessons to those of us who are creativity-challenged!!! :)

Maybe a job for after you retire, or a new business idea?
Hey, if you need help designing your next (or current) aquarium don't hesitate at all to shoot me a pm! I would love to help you design your next aquascape and I could even make fake mockup images of sort as well to help you decide! Let me know if you may be interested in my offer. ;)
 
Rose of Sharon
Member
JLAquatics said:
Hey, if you need help designing your next (or current) aquarium don't hesitate at all to shoot me a pm! I would love to help you design your next aquascape and I could even make fake mockup images of sort as well to help you decide! Let me know if you may be interested in my offer. ;)
Thank you!!!!! I will take you up on that maybe this summer!!!
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
Rose of Sharon
Member
I do have a quick question about driftwood. I saw in a youtube that someone did not recommend spider wood for bettas due to possible fin damage.

Would you recommend mopani wood? I am looking at websites to buy from right now. Do you buy on-line or from physical stores?
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
Rose of Sharon said:
I do have a quick question about driftwood. I saw in a youtube that someone did not recommend spider wood for bettas due to possible fin damage.

Would you recommend mopani wood? I am looking at websites to buy from right now. Do you buy on-line or from physical stores?
If the sharp edges of the Spider Wood are sanded down correctly, I can't see why you cannot use it. I used Spider wood with my old Betta for months without any fin damage. Mopani wood is a really pain in the butt to prepare as it leeches a ton of tannins (good if you go for a blackwater setup). I bought most of my wood online due to the cheaper price, but it may be better for a complete beginner to find an exact shape they are looking for to make a good setup. Remember what I said above, it is much easier if you have many smaller pieces than one large piece unless you are scaping a really large tank 40 gallons or larger.
 
StinkyLoaf
Member
Following again!
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
I combined this old thread of mine into this new one.
10 Gallon Betta Tank Aquascape | Freshwater Aquarium Builds Forum | 493498

Here is the main details of the old thread;

"Greetings, all. I am going to be starting my second aquarium (thanks MTS), after the huge success of my first. It will house a new Betta, with cherry shrimp and snails. So, I really want to put emphasis on the tank design itself this time. This 10 gallon aquarium has been in storage for a long time, but it has a working heater and filter already from when I had my last Betta (feels like eons). It is a high tech diy co2 injected tank with ferts and a soil substrate this. The hardscape consists of Seiryu Stone and Manzanita Driftwood. This is my first triangle style setuo. If you are unsure of what I am talking about with a triangle style, I mean that there is a heavy emphasis on one side of the tank and then it tapers down to a bare and open other side. The substrate in the tank is ADA Amazonia. and I am excited to make this new slice of nature!"

Things you should know about the tank;

Size: 10 US Gallons
Type: High Tech Planted Aquarium
Substrate: ADA Amazonia
Light: Finnex 24/7 Planted Plus
Hardscape: Seiryu Stone and Manzanita Driftwood
Plants: Dwarf sagittaria, Spiky moss, Hydrocotyle japan, Pearlweed, Rotala h'ra, Pogostemon octopus, Bacopa monnieri, Bacopa caroliniana, Ludwigia rubin, Limnophila heterophylla, Water Wisteria, Staurogyne Repens, Crypt Wendtii, and Crypt Undulata
Livestock: Cherry Shrimp, One Betta (eventually), Ramshorn Snails and Bladder Snails

Tank with just Hardscape

0413212054a.jpg


Tank when it was first set up on April 27th

0427212017.jpg


Tank as of Today

0518211224b.jpg


I will continue to update this thread with development of this 10 gallon and the 29 gallon aquascapes. I have a feeling I will also be starting yet another aquascape (A really big one this time) real soon.
 
Basil
Member
JLAquatics said:
To everyone on Fishlore, I thank you all for all the excellent guidance given these past few months. You all have truly made the aquarium hobby my favorite hobby of all time! I figured everyone would appreciate me compiling everything I have gained and learned over these past few years pertaining aquarium aquascaping (and into the future) onto this one thread. I figured I would start this thread out by showing the development over time of my first aquascape attempt, my 29 gallon aquarium housing Tetras, Rasboras, Shrimp, and Snails! The tank was started way back in October 2020 before I even became a member on Fishlore. However, I lurked the forums often here because the advice was always fantastic and worthwhile. IMO I think it is really neat seeing the progression of this tank over time, so I will start by sharing that for other members to see. Thank you all for being as awesome as you are! :happy:


Oct22 2020.jpg
October 22, 2020


Nov8 2020.jpg
November 8, 2020


Dec31 2020.jpg
December 31, 2020 (When I joined Fishlore officially)


Jan27 2021.jpg
January 27, 2021


Feb17 2021.jpg
February 17, 2021


Mar29 2021 .jpg
March 20, 2021


Aprl19 2021.jpg
April 19, 2021


May14 2021.jpg
May 14, 2021
You really have such an artistic eye! I’ll need to come back and read the whole thread later. :)
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
5-18-2021 3:16 pm
Here is a small status report of the 10 gallon aquascape. The Cherry Shrimp are loving their new home!

0517211015.jpg

This is quite possibly the best picture I got of any shrimp, this male is certainly one of the most vivid ones despite his gender!


0518211226f.jpg

A bunch of Hydrocotyle Japan and Pearlweed! I plan on propagating these plants and trying them in the 29 gallon very soon, they have grown amazingly so far!


0518211226.jpg

Rotala h'ra! This plant has not completely turned red yet, but this certainly is a great start!


0518211226b.jpg

Limnophila Heterophylla! This plant will be propagated and placed in the 29 gallon aquarium as well! I feel it will add immensely to the jungle vibe in there already.


0518211227.jpg
A side view of the aquarium, I am very proud of how this image looks!

I also purchased some new plants for my aquariums, as if I don't have enough already... :hilarious:
It's as the saying goes, you can never have too many plants in an aquarium. I will also post a status report of the 29 gallon later today and introduce you to the inhabitants in that diverse ecosystem.
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
I just made an order today! I'm getting more Anubias and Java Fern Windelov, but I mainly did the order to get a Tiger Lotus bulb to go into the 29 gallon aquascape. In order to complete the look, I will be adding Anubias in the yellow spots, the Java Fern in the blue spots, and the Tiger Lotus in the empty red spot. Tell me what you all think about this!

0518210914.jpg

PS: Also got a bunch of root tabs to ensure the S Repens grows in strong again! :D
 
Marlene327
Member
JLAquatics said:
If the sharp edges of the Spider Wood are sanded down correctly, I can't see why you cannot use it. I used Spider wood with my old Betta for months without any fin damage. Mopani wood is a really pain in the butt to prepare as it leeches a ton of tannins (good if you go for a blackwater setup). I bought most of my wood online due to the cheaper price, but it may be better for a complete beginner to find an exact shape they are looking for to make a good setup. Remember what I said above, it is much easier if you have many smaller pieces than one large piece unless you are scaping a really large tank 40 gallons or larger.
I never could remember what my big piece of DW was, but yes, it was Mopani, and it leeched and leeched until I couldn't take it anymore! Glad you wrote the name here, will never do that again. lol
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
5-20-2021 10:11 AM

10 gallon tank

0520211014a.jpg

Tank is quickly getting overgrown again!


0520211014.jpg

All the male cherries were going nuts this morning! I saw some shed molts, and now I have 3 berried females! This tank will be filled with shrimp in no time!


0520211016.jpg

The Rotala h'ra is gradually turning red now after all this time! It really contrasts the Moneywort and Triparitita Japan nicely!

29 gallon tank

0520211117c.jpg

Aquarium Co-Op order came today! I must say, the Windelov and Anubias plants filled in the midground of the aquascape perfectly!


0520211109.jpg

Now to just wait for the foreground and backgrounds to grow in again after the trim...

I am hoping the new Tiger Lotus grows in red, lush and full, but we will have to see how that goes! At least it is a bulb this time.

0520211108b.jpg
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
the 10 Gallon Tank is just about ready for major trim number two now!

0521211049a.jpg
 
Freshfishguy
Member
JLAquatics said:
the 10 Gallon Tank is just about ready for major trim number two now!

0521211049a.jpg
Looking awesome!! Love the color coming in. What do you dose for ferts?
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
Freshfishguy said:
Looking awesome!! Love the color coming in. What do you dose for ferts?
The 10 gallon tank uses ADA Amazonia with a little bit of added Easy Green and Easy Iron with Co2 injection. The 29 uses Easy Root Tabs, Easy Green, Easy Iron, and Easy Carbon.
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
10g after the trim, looks much better IMO!
0522211714.jpg

tank was beginning to dim at this time, so that is why the pic is slightly darker. You can see one of my Cherries in this pic if you look close enough! :D

I'm thinking this tank will be Betta ready in about 1.5 months or when the Cherry Shrimp colony grows large enough.

The Anubias flower also just bloomed today in the 29 gallon, I am so excited about it. This is my very first Anubias flower I ever got after all this time!

0522210817.jpg
 
jmaldo
Member
JLAquatics said:
The Anubias flower also just bloomed today in the 29 gallon, I am so excited about it. This is my very first Anubias flower I ever got after all this time!

wow-smiley.jpg

I have seen blooms out of water, but first time underwater.
Congrats!
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
Tj
jmaldo said:

wow-smiley.jpg

I have seen blooms out of water, but first time underwater.
Congrats!
Thank you! It was definitely a shocker to see the bud coming up! It was just a bud for a few weeks and there it was in all it's glory this morning! I hope I get even more flowers in my tank soon.
 
jmaldo
Member
Good Luck!
Post pics...
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
Here are some pics of the 29 gallon (this morning for me) so let the pic sharing begin!


0524210848a.jpg

First things first, the Lambchop Rasboras laid eggs again in the tank last night! I have 4 females for sure that continuously fill up with eggs! However, they are usually all gone an hour or two after being laid because the Rasboras and other fish eat them all up quickly! However, I wonder if I should just save a few eggs and see if I can get some more Rasboras! I have only ever breeded Platies, Rosy Red Minnows, and Cherry Shrimp before (not counting snails, looking at you Ramshorns and Bladders!). So I would most likely need a breeder box of sorts to seperate the eggs. Would anyone else be interested if I did something like this and share the journey in this thread?


0524210851.jpg

Found my 3.5 year old Nerite Snail today! He was with me since late 2017 and still going strong! I had another Nerite (same kind, Horned) in early 2016 that died about 5 months ago! He was almost 5 years old when he passed!


0524210852.jpg

...And this massive Tiger Nerite that we have had since 2018! This specimen is about as big as an average Mystery Snail, huge for any Nerite!


0524210850b.jpg

Despite moving some shrimp over to the 10, plenty of Cherry Shrimp still call the 29 gallon aquarium their home! This is where the culls of the 10g cherry colony will go if they are not red enough.


0524210849.jpg

The new Tiger Lotus has not died yet, fingers crossed it will grow into a beautiful red plant soon enough...


0524210853.jpg

Found what I believe to be Giant Duckweed plant this morning in the 29 gallon. If you look closely, the plant towards the center has much larger leaves than the other smaller plants around it. If you know for sure if I am wrong or right, please let me know, that would be much appreciated. :)


0524210849a.jpg

Despite what most people say about Neon Tetras on Fishlore (being boring, used too much, etc), I still love mine so much! I mean, look at their colors against the greenery in this tank! It is just mesmerizing looking at them school in the midground section of the aquarium.


0524210852a.jpg

I must say, I always look forward to feeding the fishes in this tank each and every morning! When I open the lid to feed, there they all are at the top front, dancing like a bunch of little Bettas for their breakfast!
 
alven
Member
Your fish must be living their best lives. =)
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
aIvinn said:
Your fish must be living their best lives. =)
that is the main goal here, I hope they are happy living with me. :)
 
alven
Member
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
The 10g again after the 3rd hair cut. ;) The Dwarf Sag is finally visible in the left back corner!

0525211243.jpg

The Berried Shrimp are getting close to having babies, I will share some photos when I see them! Remember, the tank will get fish soon, but not until the Shrimp adequately populate the tank first.
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
Latest update. It may not seem like it, but I have been working a ton over the memorial holiday, so I haven't had much time to get on the forum. However, I was able to capture some updates of my aquariums if anyone is interested.

29 Gallon

0529210943a.jpg

Plants are beginning to thrive again after the massive trim from the last two weeks. The front and back area still needs some more time to fill up, as I converted this tank into a jungle Style Aquascape! Water Wisteria has a ton of side shoots to form dense bushes, which is what I want in this design! I want everything to grow wild in there! To help with this goal, I added a Tiger Lotus bulb 2 weeks ago.


0529210935.jpg

This is how the bulb looked this morning! It is looking great and has plenty of new leaves already within two weeks! I think this will form into a beautiful plant to contrast the Water Wisteria and Pogostemen Octopus which will make up the majority of the background!


0529210936a.jpg

The new Pogostemen is doing great in the 29 gallon trimmed from the 10!


0529210937c.jpg

The Rasboras are breeding yet again, but they are still eating their eggs as expected. I really want to save the eggs eventually to get some babies and maybe sell some of them to you awesome people on Fishlore! I really love my Lambchops, a ton of color, activity, and peacefulness in a small package. ;)

10 gallon

0529210939a.jpg


Plants are on fire in this tank! Growth has been absolutely insane lately! Plus, the Staghorn Algae is finally resolving itself, I got much less now than a few weeks ago!


0529210940a.jpg

You can see that the wood is not staghorn infested anymore, yay!


0529210940.jpg

The Pearlweed carpet has never looked better! It has filled in nicely indeed and I will be carpeting the plant in the 29 gallon as well once I get some excess. :)


0529210939.jpg

Curiously, the Bacopa Caroliniana is turning red in my tank! I have never heard of this plant turning red before, but I think it looks cool though!


0529210939b.jpg

To conclude, the shrimp are still alive and kicking in the 10 gallon! The berried shrimp should be having some babies soon as well!

Going to be making a third tank in a few months (a 75 gallon) as well once the summer rush is over with my job, I am very excited about that. :)
 
Pfrozen
Member
Man, those lambchops are the nicest I've seen. I still can't believe you keep them in high pH. And the scape? Come on man of course we're interested :D

Great work buddy
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
Pfrozen said:
Man, those lambchops are the nicest I've seen. I still can't believe you keep them in high pH. And the scape? Come on man of course we're interested :D

Great work buddy
Thank you so much! It means a lot to me. As for the Lambchops, they have really surprised me myself. When I got them, they were really drab and not that nice looking. They were all quite emaciated but I really wanted some of the Rasboras badly and that was the only shipment they had for a long time. I ended of purchasing a sizable group of them and even if they had health problems they would be the first fish in the 29 gallon anyways so I could observe their condition. I paid $2.99 per fish and bought 13 of them that day. One died that night and my heart sank. I thought that they would all perish soon after because the tank parameters are not optimal for them. However, after giving them generous portions of different foods and letting them live in a natural environment, the remaining 12 fish slowly but surely gained color, weight, and size. I have not had anymore deaths after the first death and it has been almost 6 months now. They are all in very healthy shape and the females are almost constantly full of eggs (especially one female in particular, she is larger than her sisters and larger than all of the Lambchops but 2 of the males). I do have one fish with a slightly bent spine, but his color is super vibrant just like the rest of the fish. Even the runt in this school has great color. The males are so colorful now that the two largest males are almost a deep coppery red. They always have little quarrels within their group, it is very entertaining for me to watch. They have already bred a few times but as mentioned above they always eat the eggs but I wonder if I could salvage some of the eggs and sell some of my Lambchop offspring to other members on Fishlore.
 
Pfrozen
Member
JLAquatics said:
Thank you so much! It means a lot to me. As for the Lambchops, they have really surprised me myself. When I got them, they were really drab and not that nice looking. They were all quite emaciated but I really wanted some of the Rasboras badly and that was the only shipment they had for a long time. I ended of purchasing a sizable group of them and even if they had health problems they would be the first fish in the 29 gallon anyways so I could observe their condition. I paid $2.99 per fish and bought 13 of them that day. One died that night and my heart sank. I thought that they would all perish soon after because the tank parameters are not optimal for them. However, after giving them generous portions of different foods and letting them live in a natural environment, the remaining 12 fish slowly but surely gained color, weight, and size. I have not had anymore deaths after the first death and it has been almost 6 months now. They are all in very healthy shape and the females are almost constantly full of eggs (especially one female in particular, she is larger than her sisters and larger than all of the Lambchops but 2 of the males). I do have one fish with a slightly bent spine, but his color is super vibrant just like the rest of the fish. Even the runt in this school has great color. The males are so colorful now that the two largest males are almost a deep coppery red. They always have little quarrels within their group, it is very entertaining for me to watch. They have already bred a few times but as mentioned above they always eat the eggs but I wonder if I could salvage some of the eggs and sell some of my Lambchop offspring to other members on Fishlore.
To have them breeding in those conditions too is just wild. That is basically how I've learned to care for rasboras as well, though I recently rehomed my group. Good quality food is so important for those guys.

We need a Rasbora Guru title in here :D

Oh by the way, I took followed your lead and finally got me some Easy Green. I plan on replacing my Anubias in a few weeks so hoping they do better with a more concentrated fert. Is your 29g low tech or are you running CO2 on them both?
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
Pfrozen said:
To have them breeding in those conditions too is just wild. That is basically how I've learned to care for rasboras as well, though I recently rehomed my group. Good quality food is so important for those guys.

We need a Rasbora Guru title in here :D

Oh by the way, I took followed your lead and finally got me some Easy Green. I plan on replacing my Anubias in a few weeks so hoping they do better with a more concentrated fert. Is your 29g low tech or are you running CO2 on them both?
The 29 is completely low tech. I have the entire easy green lineup now and it has worked wonderful for me! I don't actually completely follow the directions and dosed differently in both my tanks. Here is what I do that has worked great for me (Keep in mind that tank size also plays a role in how much to dose as well);

29 low tech
1 pump of Easy Green every day
1 pump of Easy Iron every other day
1 pump of Easy Carbon every other day
Easy Tabs are dosed in a grid portion 6 inches from one another when root feeders show signs of nutrient deficiencies or multiple tabs by the same plant if it is a large sword, lotus, etc (all plants, even the carpeting ones are all planted in inert substrate within the 29)

10 high tech
1 pump of Easy Green twice a week
1 pump of Easy Iron once a week
1 pump of Easy Carbon once a week
No Easy Tabs in this tank, ADA Aquasoil has a ton of nutrients pre loaded in the substrate.
 
Pfrozen
Member
JLAquatics said:
The 29 is completely low tech. I have the entire easy green lineup now and it has worked wonderful for me! I don't actually completely follow the directions and dosed differently in both my tanks. Here is what I do that has worked great for me;

29 low tech
1 pump of Easy Green every day
1 pump of Easy Iron every other day
1 pump of Easy Carbon every other day
Easy Tabs are dosed in a grid portion 6 inches from one another when root feeders show signs of nutrient deficiencies or multiple tabs by the same plant if it is a large sword, lotus, etc (plants are all planted in inert substrate within the 29)

10 high tech
1 pump of Easy Green twice a week
1 pump of Easy Iron once a week
1 pump of Easy Carbon once a week
No Easy Tabs in this tank, ADA Aquasoil has a ton of nutrients pre loaded in the substrate.
Thank you, that is super helpful. Truly impressive for low-tech. My tannins have been a lot less in the 20 high lately so I'm hoping to have some of my plants come back with the Easy Green. N deficiencies hit hard after I switched from tap to remineralized RO for some reason
 
Freshfishguy
Member
JLAquatics said:
Latest update. It may not seem like it, but I have been working a ton over the memorial holiday, so I haven't had much time to get on the forum. However, I was able to capture some updates of my aquariums if anyone is interested.

29 Gallon

0529210943a.jpg

Plants are beginning to thrive again after the massive trim from the last two weeks. The front and back area still needs some more time to fill up, as I converted this tank into a jungle Style Aquascape! Water Wisteria has a ton of side shoots to form dense bushes, which is what I want in this design! I want everything to grow wild in there! To help with this goal, I added a Tiger Lotus bulb 2 weeks ago.


0529210935.jpg

This is how the bulb looked this morning! It is looking great and has plenty of new leaves already within two weeks! I think this will form into a beautiful plant to contrast the Water Wisteria and Pogostemen Octopus which will make up the majority of the background!


0529210936a.jpg

The new Pogostemen is doing great in the 29 gallon trimmed from the 10!


0529210937c.jpg

The Rasboras are breeding yet again, but they are still eating their eggs as expected. I really want to save the eggs eventually to get some babies and maybe sell some of them to you awesome people on Fishlore! I really love my Lambchops, a ton of color, activity, and peacefulness in a small package. ;)

10 gallon

0529210939a.jpg


Plants are on fire in this tank! Growth has been absolutely insane lately! Plus, the Staghorn Algae is finally resolving itself, I got much less now than a few weeks ago!


0529210940a.jpg

You can see that the wood is not staghorn infested anymore, yay!


0529210940.jpg

The Pearlweed carpet has never looked better! It has filled in nicely indeed and I will be carpeting the plant in the 29 gallon as well once I get some excess. :)


0529210939.jpg

Curiously, the Bacopa Caroliniana is turning red in my tank! I have never heard of this plant turning red before, but I think it looks cool though!


0529210939b.jpg

To conclude, the shrimp are still alive and kicking in the 10 gallon! The berried shrimp should be having some babies soon as well!

Going to be making a third tank in a few months (a 75 gallon) as well once the summer rush is over with my job, I am very excited about that. :)
Awesome update!! Super exciting and great to see the colors that are coming in especially. What light do you have on the 10g?
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
Freshfishguy said:
Awesome update!! Super exciting and great to see the colors that are coming in especially. What light do you have on the 10g?
I know you did not ask for the lighting on both of the tanks, but here it is anyways. :)

10 gallon: Finnex planted plus 24/7. I do not use the 24/7 gimmick and have the light at max values for 6 hours each day. It then builds up 3 hours before it comes on and tapers off 3 hours after the max photoperiod.

29 gallon: Nicrew Classic LED Plus. I have this light on 8.5 hours each day and it tapers off and on over a 30 minute period.

Ultimately, the Finnex is more powerful light than the Nicrew but it is more expensive. Both lights are fully capable of growing aquatic plants well, but the Finnex is definitely the winning choice in high tech tanks and high light plants when compared to the Nicrew which IMO is better for low tech and lower light plants. You do not want a super powerful light without co2 injection in a low tech aquarium or algae will likely take hold. I love both lights though and they both fit their respective tanks perfectly.
 
Freshfishguy
Member
JLAquatics said:
I know you did not ask for the lighting on both of the tanks, but here it is anyways. :)

10 gallon: Finnex planted plus 24/7. I do not use the 24/7 gimmick and have the light at max values for 6 hours each day. It then builds up 3 hours before it comes on and tapers off 3 hours after the max photoperiod.

29 gallon: Nicrew Classic LED Plus. I have this light on 8.5 hours each day and it tapers off and on over a 30 minute period.

Ultimately, the Finnex is more powerful light than the Nicrew but it is more expensive. Both lights are fully capable of growing aquatic plants well, but the Finnex is definitely the winning choice in high tech tanks and high light plants when compared to the Nicrew which IMO is better for low tech and lower light plants. You do not want a super powerful light without co2 injection in a low tech aquarium or algae will likely take hold. I love both lights though and they both fit their respective tanks perfectly.
Cool! Yeah I didn’t realize how much red Finnex Planted Plus 24/7s put out until very recently. For a smaller tank, definitely one of the best options given the affordability of Finnexes in general.
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
The Cherry shrimp had babies in the 10 gallon! They are super tiny right now, so don't worry about the blurriness of the pic.

0601211143.jpg


As well as a one month update on the 10 gallon aquascape regarding plant growth. The first image is from May 4th, the second from June 1st, so actually less than a month then. It can now be said without doubt that your plants have thrived in my setup, Vishaquatics!

0503211328a (1).jpg


0601211031b.jpg


Reds are coming in super nicely now with the Rotala and Ludwigia!

0601211033.jpg


0601211033a.jpg



0601211036.jpg

Spiky Moss is doing awesome as well, the shrimp love to graze on this plant!
 
LHAquatics
Member
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
LHAquatics said:
Do you gravel vac?
I do not in this tank as it has a very low bioload at the moment. I only got some shrimp and snails in there at this point, fish will be added soon but not quite yet. I want to avoid disturbing the Pearlweed carpet I have worked so hard to achieve in there as well as to avoid sucking up baby shrimp by mistake.
 
SouthAmericanCichlids
Member
JLAquatics said:
I do not in this tank as it has a very low bioload at the moment. I only got some shrimp and snails in there at this point, fish will be added soon but not quite yet. I want to avoid disturbing the Pearlweed carpet I have worked so hard to achieve in there as well as to avoid sucking up baby shrimp by mistake.
Sorry if I missed it, but what are you putting in it.
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Sorry if I missed it, but what are you putting in it.
I really want to put a single male Betta in this tank. However, on the off chance it does not work out with the shrimp I will add a school of micro Rasbora instead. :)
 
Vishaquatics
Member
JLAquatics said:
The Cherry shrimp had babies in the 10 gallon! They are super tiny right now, so don't worry about the blurriness of the pic.

0601211143.jpg


As well as a one month update on the 10 gallon aquascape regarding plant growth. The first image is from May 4th, the second from June 1st, so actually less than a month then. It can now be said without doubt that your plants have thrived in my setup, Vishaquatics!

0503211328a (1).jpg


0601211031b.jpg


Reds are coming in super nicely now with the Rotala and Ludwigia!

0601211033.jpg


0601211033a.jpg



0601211036.jpg

Spiky Moss is doing awesome as well, the shrimp love to graze on this plant!
Plants looking absolutely gorgeous as always! That rotala will be due for a trim in a few weeks, and once it grows back, the tank will really start taking shape to its final form!
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
A small update on the 29 as well!

0601211030.jpg

I have begun the Pearlweed carpet on the right side of the tank as an experiment to see how it will do. Fish and shrimp are doing excellent still.

0601211024.jpg

Shrimp have officially taken over this tank now! I see dozens of them each day and I hope that the same will happen to the 10 gallon soon, I love these shrimp!

0601211026a.jpg

The other plants are doing well, and the Tiger Lotus is growing rapidly indeed! I will keep this thread updated in the days to come!
 
  • Thread Starter
JLAquatics
Member
Update with the 10 gallon tank today!


0604210933c.jpg

Plants are almost ready for the 4th trim now! There are dozens of new shrimp in this tank, but they are just really tiny now! Once they grow up a bit more, I am contemplating on adding a small school of Ember Tetras in this tank with the future Betta. They are rated as generally great tankmates for Shrimp and Bettas alike. I think they would look stunning in this aquascape, but I certainly do not want to overcrowd the tank or overwhelm the future Betta at all! I would definitely keep up on needed maintenance like I always have been with this tank as well, so water changes won't be a problem. Let me know what you think about this idea!

Other tank shots

0604210932a.jpg


0604210932b.jpg


0604210932.jpg
 
Top Bottom