Bay Area Fishlore Group!! - Page 2

alx

Up here in Sacramento, but I was born and raised in the Bay Area. Am I close enough to join

AcornTheBetta

GingerV513 said:
I live in Marin County and the Petco in Novato seemed pretty good when I went there. The staff seemed to know what they were talking about. The one in San Rafael makes me a little nauseous lately at the site of their tanks. I found a decent place in Oakland called Bay Bridge Aquarium and Pet where I bought stuff online and picked up in store, so I didn't really get a look around. Seemed ok, bought 5 pygmy corys and they gave me 6. Also their website is super good and shows what fish they have. Didn't email me when my order was ready though, I just went in the next day and they got it all then
Cool. I have heard good things about Bay Bridge.
alx said:
Up here in Sacramento, but I was born and raised in the Bay Area. Am I close enough to join
Yes! Of course. Anyone can join, but most of the topics are focused on the Bay Area.

julifhy

alx said:
Ofc lol! If you ever come to the Bay Area, you know where to shop

JJ3204

I agree about the Novato Petco. That’s my city. There use to be a guy there who was really knowledgable with fish and plants. Irrelevant, but Novato is an ugly town when you just look at it from the freeway.

AcornTheBetta

JJ3204 said:
I agree about the Novato Petco. That’s my city. There use to be a guy there who was really knowledgable with fish and plants. Irrelevant, but Novato is an ugly town when you just look at it from the freeway.
I feel like some Petcos are good (as far as petcos go) and others are just down right terrible.

JJ3204

julifhy I read in another thread you wanted guinea pigs. I feel it’s more relevant if I recommend here in the Bay Area thread so here I am. Marin Humane is my county’s popular place for adopting homeless animals, but it seems like a lot just to schedule an appointment to meet the animals. If they ever have some available, I would definitely recommend.

julifhy

I’ve recently been to the Petco in Castro Valley, the one in San Jose, Reptile Room, and Andy’s Pet Shop.
Petco is currently remodeling their stores. They have upgraded enclosures and both of the ones I went to are currently not selling fish besides bettas (hopefully they will upgrade betta cups into betta tanks lol).

Castro Valley Petco:
I honestly really liked it! It’s smaller than most Petcos, the employees were really helpful, and you could really tell they cared for the animals. I think this is the best Petco I’ve been to so far! They also had a lot of good fish supplies. One thing that caught my eye was that they had a lot of Seachem products. I ended up buying black sand, a betta hammock (my betta finally has a bed lol), and betta bulbs.

San Jose Petco:
I don’t have much to say about it lol. Just a regular Petco. They did have a baby iguana, a Pac-Man frog, and a poison dart frog which I thought were pretty cool.

Reptile Room:
I have no idea where to start First time I went, it was fine. This time though... not so much. I’ll start with the positives. They still have good driftwood pieces and pretty good equipment for reptiles.
Now the negatives... when I walked in it smelled like dead reptiles and unfortunately some of them were It was almost 100°F outside, probably in the high 80°F inside and the animals were kept in tiny enclosures with heat lamps on. Out of all the animals, the bearded dragons had it the worst imo. There were multiple dead beardies and one had burns on it’s stomach. I could probably say so much more, but I don’t want to make this longer than it already is lol.

Possible TW:
Dead and hurt bearded dragons
(The green arrow points to the dead beardies and the circle is where one of the dragons was burned)

Andy’s Pet Shop
I love it!! I think this might be my favorite pet store of all! They don’t have many fish supplies that I noticed though (I was more focused on the guinea pigs this time lol). They did have some tanks, really pretty goldfish, big plecos, mollies and platies, and cherry shrimp. All the animals have proper enclosures They also have a pet hotel!

Sorry for the long post I hope it was helpful though!

JJ3204

My parents don’t care much about fish so it’s hard for me to ask for something specifically for my fish. If I have to go to the store to get something I just say “oh the dog needs food, I’m going to get fish stuff while I’m there,” not “oh the fish needs food, does the dog need anything while I’m there?” Anyways, I live too far from San Jose and Castro Valley to get supplies for my betta. I can only shop online or go to the local Petco.

I looked up the Petco in Castro Valley and this image was on Google

julifhy

JJ3204 said:
My parents don’t care much about fish so it’s hard for me to ask for something specifically for my fish. If I have to go to the store to get something I just say “oh the dog needs food, I’m going to get fish stuff while I’m there,” not “oh the fish needs food, does the dog need anything while I’m there?” Anyways, I live too far from San Jose and Castro Valley to get supplies for my betta. I can only shop online or go to the local Petco.
Maybe if you’re ever in the area, you’ll be able to visit some other stores besides petco if you want / would be able to

JJ3204

Maybe but that obviously won’t be for a while.

julifhy

julifhy said:
I drove past a pet store in San Jose today. Didn’t get to go in it either lol, but they do have fish and the reviews are really good! It’s called Andy’s Pet Shop. Has anyone been there before?
(Andddd I also got boba lol):

Sorry, I like showing off my drinks lol.

Here are some pictures of a LFS I’ve actually been to:

Sorry the pictures aren’t great. It seemed like if they didn’t want me to take pictures, but I managed to take some anyway. They had amazing salt water fish and great driftwood pieces. The fresh water fish could of had better conditions though (there were a couple dead fish and bettas were kept in jars). Unfortunately, when you look them up, it says they are permanently closed. I’m not sure what happened.
Update on Tropical Fish International
They are open and have a huge selection of freshwater and saltwater fish. There were no dead fish this time lol. All the tanks seemed clean and the fish seemed to be doing really well. This is also probably going to be my favorite LFS.
They also have tanks, freshwater plants, corals, driftwood, and I think dragon stone, and lava rock.
Here are some pictures :
Betta Sorority:

Saltwater fish:

Bettas:

JJ3204

What city?

TacomaToker

julifhy said:
That's a new one. I've done the rounds at San Jose LFS and most don't seem too great.

AcornTheBetta

Anyone know any dog breeders? Im looking for a Lagotto Romagnolo or a Weimaraner.

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:
Anyone know any dog breeders? Im looking for a Lagotto Romagnolo or a Weimaraner.
Check the adoptapet or petfinder! If they don’t have the dog breeds you’re looking for, look for rescues that are specifically for the dog breeds you are looking for.
If you still can’t find anything, then you could try Craigslist. I would suggest to look for people trying to rehome their dog because 1. breeders aren’t allowed on Craigslist and 2. Craigslist breeders usually don’t really care about the animals’ genetics and any health problems it might have.
That’s all I can think of for now. I don’t know any actual breeders. I hope this helped though lol

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
Check the adoptapet or petfinder! If they don’t have the dog breeds you’re looking for, look for rescues that are specifically for the dog breeds you are looking for.
If you still can’t find anything, then you could try Craigslist. I would suggest to look for people trying to rehome their dog because 1. breeders aren’t allowed on Craigslist and 2. Craigslist breeders usually don’t really care about the animals’ genetics and any health problems it might have.
That’s all I can think of for now. I don’t know any actual breeders. I hope this helped though lol
Ok. Thanks! I think I might adopt, I have found some dogs I like at HSSV

AcornTheBetta

Anyone else just have like a 2 minute blackout?

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:
Anyone else just have like a 2 minute blackout?
Nope, that didn’t happen where I am. We were supposed to have a blackout about 2 weeks ago I think, but it thankfully didn’t happen.

AcornTheBetta

Has anyone tried Bay Bridge Aquarium? What did u think?

TheMysticWizard

AcornTheBetta said:
I had heard elsewhere they're pretty good. Pictures and Yelp paints a pretty positive picture of them. While I'm not totally up for in-store shopping yet, I do like that they will allow you to purchase online and pick up. That's pretty cool, Haven't heard of any other fist stores doing that.

If I were in the market for fish right now, I'd do it. They're not all that far from me, alas my tanks are pretty full so maybe some day. Need to get rid of some fish actually...

TacomaToker

AcornTheBetta said:
Open only on the weekends, that's nuts.

AcornTheBetta

The sky is so weird rn...

Aquariumlover1357

Yeah it's literally orange/sickly yellow here!

AcornTheBetta

Anyone know any local aquarium clubs

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:
Anyone know any local aquarium clubs
I'm not in any of them, but this website might help:

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
I'm not in any of them, but this website might help:
KK. Thanks!

Ryz

Aquariumlover1357 said:
Yeah it's literally orange/sickly yellow here!
DUUUddeee right? Idk know why but under the conopy of trees, it's almost peaceful, then out in the open its like Oh heck >_<
And the ash, like consistantly dropping all day. I was watching cars drive through a parking lot, and I thought one dudes car was smoking really bad, but it was just the ash in the lot. I'm ready for some clean air I know that much Idk how the bay's been, I'm on the inner edge of the delta, but it's been smoky for weeks, like I've just gotten used to it. Also someone told me the smoke that was where I'm at was caused by a gender reveal, something about color of the firework was to show if a boy or a girl >_<"Were having aaaaaa. . . .75thousand acre forest fire"
Let this be a lesson to all who read this. . . .Don't be a fool and bring fireworks to the woods. Especially in california in dry times.
God, I'd feel terrible, like to know you set thousands of achres ablaze, wiping out anything in its path, and all the people called upon for the grueling task fixing your mess. What a bad situation.

AcornTheBetta

Ryz said:
DUUUddeee right? Idk know why but under the conopy of trees, it's almost peaceful, then out in the open its like Oh heck >_<
And the ash, like consistantly dropping all day. I was watching cars drive through a parking lot, and I thought one dudes car was smoking really bad, but it was just the ash in the lot. I'm ready for some clean air I know that much Idk how the bay's been, I'm on the inner edge of the delta, but it's been smoky for weeks, like I've just gotten used to it. Also someone told me the smoke that was where I'm at was caused by a gender reveal, something about color of the firework was to show if a boy or a girl >_<"Were having aaaaaa. . . .75thousand acre forest fire"
Let this be a lesson to all who read this. . . .Don't be a fool and bring fireworks to the woods. Especially in california in dry times.
God, I'd feel terrible, like to know you set thousands of achres ablaze, wiping out anything in its path, and all the people called upon for the grueling task fixing your mess. What a bad situation.
The color is because of some of the Northern first blowing smoke high up so we don't smell it, but it makes the outside color weird. It was a gender reveal that started one of the fires. Ugg people are so stupid. As if covid 19 wasn't enough now we have fires and Chadwick Boseman passed away

julifhy

I got to go to Andy’s Pet Shop again this Sunday. They had some pretty good fake plants (as well as real ones), driftwood, and an airstone I was tempted to buy, but didn’t. I did however buy a brush to clean out my siphon. I had no idea they made those and I really need to clean mine out lol. I’m glad I found that.

Does anyone know if this airstone is good?

Since we’re talking about the sky now lol here are some recent pictures I took (each from a different day

From today:

I miss clean air and I miss 2019
These are the sunsets I miss :

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
I got to go to Andy’s Pet Shop again this Sunday. They had some pretty good fake plants (as well as real ones), driftwood, and an airstone I was tempted to buy, but didn’t. I did however buy a brush to clean out my siphon. I had no idea they made those and I really need to clean mine out lol. I’m glad I found that.

Since we’re talking about the sky now lol here are some recent pictures I took (each from a different day

From today:

julifhy said:

From today:

Cool. Do they have a big selection of plants and hardscape?

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:
Cool. Do they have a big selection of plants and hardscape?
I only saw the driftwood and I think my sister commented on it being kind of pricey, but I didn’t check. I forgot to take a picture of the 10 gallon planted tank they had there, but they have anubias, java moss (I think), and a few other plants for sale. They also have cherry shrimp, which I think I mentioned in an earlier post.

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
I only saw the driftwood and I think my sister commented on it being kind of pricey, but I didn’t check. I forgot to take a picture of the 10 gallon planted tank they had there, but they have anubias, java moss (I think), and a few other plants for sale. They also have cherry shrimp, which I think I mentioned in an earlier post.
Ok. Thanks!

AcornTheBetta

Anyone looking for a 5g rn? Found an amazing deal on Craigslist: 5 Gallon Fish Tank - Fluval Chi - general for sale - by owner

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:
Anyone looking for a 5g rn? Found an amazing deal on Craigslist: 5 Gallon Fish Tank - Fluval Chi - general for sale - by owner
There are currently so many deals on Craigslist! If you look up “betta” you’ll find amazing bettas, and great supplies!

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
There are currently so many deals on Craigslist! If you look up “betta” you’ll find amazing bettas, and great supplies!
You also find amazingly abused fish

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:
You also find amazingly abused fish
Surprisingly, I didn't see any. There are some great show quality bettas for sale though.

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
Surprisingly, I didn't see any. There are some great show quality bettas for sale though.
Where could I sell cory catfish to? I don't want to use craigslist or anything like that because a) I don't want people knowing where I live/checking out my house b) I don't think it is as effective as other methods.

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:
Where could I sell cory catfish to? I don't want to use craigslist or anything like that because a) I don't want people knowing where I live/checking out my house b) I don't think it is as effective as other methods.
Here! Are you able to ship fish? You could try the BSTF forum

Also, I don’t think that you have to give your address on Craigslist. I’ve never sold anything there, so I don’t really know, but the person that is interested in your fish can contact you and then you can decide on a public place to meet in. At least that’s how it works on some other apps.

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
Here! Are you able to ship fish? You could try the BSTF forum

Also, I don’t think that you have to give your address on Craigslist. I’ve never sold anything there, so I don’t really know, but the person that is interested in your fish can contact you and then you can decide on a public place to meet in. At least that’s how it works on some other apps.
Yeah that's a good idea. I don't think I can ship...

julifhy

Does anyone know any good veterinarians in Alameda County?

AcornTheBetta

Anyone have expirence with any of these shops:
  • Nature Life Aquarium
  • Hung Ming Aquarium
  • Superway Aquarium
  • Aquatic Collection
  • Ocean Aquarium
  • Luck Ocean Aquarium
I need to find somewhere that has all the things I need cuz I don't want to go all over the place, CORONA IS REAL!

AcornTheBetta

The ultimate aquarium has a gold nugget pleco kf anyone is searching for one. Lmk if there's a fish ur looking for cuz I may have seen it at tua.

BUYER BEWARE!
Aquatic Collection has almost 0 freshwater stuff and the plants are in terrible condition. For all of their vast walls, only one is freshwater. The people there are nice but know nothing about freshwater. They do have a good selection of dry goods and hardscape, but it can be a bit pricy. Here is my build thread, all of the hardscape is from them: AcornTheBetta's 29g build! | 473592 | Freshwater Aquarium Builds

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:
BUYER BEWARE!
Aquatic Collection has almost 0 freshwater stuff and the plants are in terrible condition. For all of their vast walls, only one is freshwater. The people there are nice but know nothing about freshwater. They do have a good selection of dry goods and hardscape, but it can be a bit pricy. Here is my build thread, all of the hardscape is from them: AcornTheBetta's 29g build! | 473592 | Freshwater Aquarium Builds
Aquatic Collection in Hayward?? I was literally there today!
They don’t have much freshwater fish, but they do have a lot of supplies and imo the freshwater plants looked pretty healthy. I only stopped by there to check it out, so I could be wrong.

Did anyone else feel the earthquake just now??

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
Aquatic Collection in Hayward?? I was literally there today!
They don’t have much freshwater fish, but they do have a lot of supplies and imo the freshwater plants looked pretty healthy. I only stopped by there to check it out, so I could be wrong.

Yeah that's the one. Those plants aren't for sale (The ones in the pic above) those are the freshwater display tanks.
julifhy said:
No I did not.

julifhy said:
There was a 3.4 in Milpedis today I think....

Mandy627

JJ3204 said:
I’ve heard that there is one by Richmond called Tropical Fish World.
I have been there and it was pretty good, though if you ever go to SF I would reccomend aquaforrest, but right now they dont let you in store and that is the best part. 6th street aquarium in sf is amazing if you quarantine your fish first. They always have a ton of oddballs and awesome plants. You catch your own fish there too.

Aquariumlover1357

julifhy said:
No. Where was it? I'm in the East Bay Area and I don't feel it.

Mandy627

GingerV513 said:
I saw they opened a fish store in Rohnert Park, near where the old yard birds was (I moved and forgot the name of the street), its if you go straight from Safeway and get to the road next to the freeway. I haven't been though...
I was there today they usually have killifish and I was going to get another female breeder but they were out.

AcornTheBetta

Mandy627 said:
I have been there and it was pretty good, though if you ever go to SF I would reccomend aquaforrest, but right now they dont let you in store and that is the best part. 6th street aquarium in sf is amazing if you quarantine your fish first. They always have a ton of oddballs and awesome plants. You catch your own fish there too.
Lol. I have to go, but I'm out of fish shop trip credit with my parents.

Mandy627

GingerV513 said:
I saw they opened a fish store in Rohnert Park, near where the old yard birds was (I moved and forgot the name of the street), its if you go straight from Safeway and get to the road next to the freeway. I haven't been though...
I was there today they usually have killifish and I was going to get another female breeder but they were out.
AcornTheBetta said:
Lol. I have to go, but I'm out of fish shop trip credit with my parents.
Been there before I remember that, and I dont think I should go back to sf for a while, I think they are sick of seeing me. Lol... they are also a flower shop at 6th street and always have rare plants like venus fly traps and orchids.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom