Bay Area Fishlore Group!! - Page 3

AcornTheBetta

Mandy627 said:
I was there today they usually have killifish and I was going to get another female breeder but they were out.

Been there before I remember that, and I dont think I should go back to sf for a while, I think they are sick of seeing me. Lol... they are also a flower shop at 6th street and always have rare plants like venus fly traps and orchids.
If your looking for carnivorous plants, go to Predatory Plants in Half Moon Bay. They are very nice and helpful, have a great selection of plants, and very healthy plants. I'm pretty sure The Ultimate Aquarium is tired of my voice on the phone XD

Mandy627

Vallejo aquarium has both salt and freshwater fish, and usually have nice live plants for sale and live food such as black worms. The owner is really nice, pretty funny too. Their prices are pretty good and if you go there on fish day (tuesday) you usually get a small discount since they just came in.

julifhy

Aquariumlover1357 said:
No. Where was it? I'm in the East Bay Area and I don't feel it.
I’m in Alameda County. There were apparently two 3.4 earthquakes today, but I only felt the one right now.

AcornTheBetta

Mandy627 said:
Vallejo aquarium has both salt and freshwater fish, and usually have nice live plants for sale and live food such as black worms. The owner is really nice, pretty funny too. Their prices are pretty good and if you go there on fish day (tuesday) you usually get a small discount since they just came in.
I think most fish stores get shipments on Tuesdays. Vallejo is wayyyyyy to far. Maybe on the way to Tahoe, but still unlikely considering how much my family cares about my addiction, I mean hobby.

julifhy said:
I’m in Alameda County. There were apparently two 3.4 earthquakes today, but I only felt the one right now.
Didn't feel either. I'm in San Mateo County.

Mandy627

AcornTheBetta said:
Didn't feel either. I'm in San Mateo County.
Same, sonoma county. Another fire here though. Ugh.

AcornTheBetta

Mandy627 said:
Oh yea. I hear about that. Hope your ok. WHY DOES 2020 SUCK?!?!?!?

Mandy627

AcornTheBetta said:
Oh yea. I hear about that. Hope your ok. WHY DOES 2020 SUCK?!?!?!?
I dont know but it seems to keep on adding things that suck to the pile!! Lol. My boyfriend kept saying "how could this year get worse?" And I said "sshhh 2020 can hear you." Haha.

AcornTheBetta

Mandy627 said:
I dont know but it seems to keep on adding things that suck to the pile!! Lol. My boyfriend kept saying "how could this year get worse?" And I said "sshhh 2020 can hear you." Haha.
Maybe your right? I blame it on your boyfriend lol. He jinxed us. Plz tell him I said that XD. Just say "This kid on fishlore says you screwed us all over by disrespecting the almighty Mr./Mrs. 2020"

Mandy627

AcornTheBetta said:
Maybe your right? I blame it on your boyfriend lol. He jinxed us. Plz tell him I said that XD. Just say "This kid on fishlore says you screwed us all over by disrespecting the almighty Mr./Mrs. 2020"
I'm sure he will love that. Lol

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:
I think I might of jinxed it too
About half an hour before the first earthquake, my family and I were at a beach in Hayward and the water was pretty far back, so I joked, haha what if it’s so far back because there’s gonna be an earthquake... I guess I wasn’t wrong

Ryz

julifhy said:
Did anyone else feel the earthquake just now??
I'm in the valley, but sunday afternoon/night I do recall thinking "Is an earthquake happenin right now??

JJ3204

Mandy627 said:
I hope you’re okay. I go to Petaluma practically every day where the air quality shouldn’t be that bad but it is. I remember there was a safety place at the Petaluma Fairgrounds for evacuees a while ago and there were a lot of cars.

AcornTheBetta

I currently aren't in the Bay, what is it like back there?

Ryz

Finally cleared up over here, forgot the sky was blue

AcornTheBetta

Ryz said:
Finally cleared up over here, forgot the sky was blue
Lol. That's good. Nice and clean for me when I make my way back!

Anyone know somewhere to get rocks and wood for aquariums? Preferably West Bay since that's where I am.

AcornTheBetta

I just realized that Tazawa Tanks lives in San Francisco. I want to meet him so badly.

TacomaToker

AcornTheBetta said:
I just realized that Tazawa Tanks lives in San Francisco. I want to meet him so badly.
Yea, lots of interviews with Zenzo on youtube. Cory did a tank talk with him and KG recently interviewed him as well. He is also doing a fishroom tour tomorrow for the monthly SF aquarium society virtual meeting.

I have another question to people out there, what is your water hardness? Here on the peninsula its pretty much 0dgH, although recently it has been roughly 2gH. I know in San Jose its quite hard, but the soft water here makes it tough to keep livebearers and shrimp. Some plants struggle too. Doesn't help that the tap comes out 9ph but drops to 7.5 in the tanks. And the 2-3ppm phosphate in the water.

AcornTheBetta

TacomaToker said:
Yea, lots of interviews with Zenzo on youtube. Cory did a tank talk with him and KG recently interviewed him as well. He is also doing a fishroom tour tomorrow for the monthly SF aquarium society virtual meeting.

I have another question to people out there, what is your water hardness? Here on the peninsula its pretty much 0dgH, although recently it has been roughly 2gH. I know in San Jose its quite hard, but the soft water here makes it tough to keep livebearers and shrimp. Some plants struggle too. Doesn't help that the tap comes out 9ph but drops to 7.5 in the tanks. And the 2-3ppm phosphate in the water.
Odd. Mine's about 4 dGH and 3 dKH. I wonder what LFS he goes to...

julifhy

TacomaToker said:
AcornTheBetta said:
Odd. Mine's about 4 dGH and 3 dKH. I wonder what LFS he goes to...
Our water is very hard. Not sure about the exact numbers though. Isn't there a website I can check that on? I can't remember what it was called.

JJ3204

I tested mine a long time ago but I’m north of you

TacomaToker

Sounds like a me problem then! Water here is 0gh 0kh but 9ph. Cant keep livebearers, shrimp, or many plants without mineralizing the water.

AcornTheBetta

Is it windy at anyone else's house?

TacomaToker

AcornTheBetta said:
Is it windy at anyone else's house?
it was super windy 30 min to an hour ago, but its just a slight breeze here on the peninsula now.

JJ3204

it’s raining

AcornTheBetta

TacomaToker said:
it was super windy 30 min to an hour ago, but its just a slight breeze here on the peninsula now.
It is gusty where I am...

What LFS do you use?
Anyone looking for fish? I know the ultimate aquarium has good stock rn

JJ3204

i’m not looking for any fish. my betta is very aggressiv, even towards snails

fishbreeeder

I know the BEST one! Its called infinite aquarium! They give a LOT of store credit for fish two! I get 2$ for a platy FRY! YOUI guys GOTTA go there. The platys for sale there are from me! I sell them all my platy fry!

Does anyone know a fish store that gives more store credit

AcornTheBetta

fishbreeeder said:
I know the BEST one! Its called infinite aquarium! They give a LOT of store credit for fish two! I get 2$ for a platy FRY! YOUI guys GOTTA go there. The platys for sale there are from me! I sell them all my platy fry!
Do they have good plant and fish and dry good selection?

fishbreeeder said:
Does anyone know a fish store that gives more store credit
Nope. Never tried to get credit...

fishbreeeder

AcornTheBetta said:
Do they have good plant and fish and dry good selection?
Great plants! Lots of beautiful healthy fish! The dry goods are ok as they have all the basics!

sadly they don't sell saltwater fish anymore, just supplies!

The people are sooo nice! Pls check it out! If you have unwanted fish or are breeding, go there!

AcornTheBetta

fishbreeeder said:
The people are sooo nice! Pls check it out! If you have unwanted fish or are breeding, go there!
I will call them today to see if they have the stuff that I need.

fishbreeeder

AcornTheBetta said:
I will call them today to see if they have the stuff that I need.
what stuff are you looking for?

oh and since you love bettas they sell them in 5g tanks

AcornTheBetta

fishbreeeder said:
what stuff are you looking for?

oh and since you love bettas they sell them in 5g tanks
BN pleco

fishbreeeder

AcornTheBetta

fishbreeeder said:
Oh, perfect! They have a lot of those! They also have a lot of great clown loaches!

pls show us a pic of the pleco if u get it!

Exept they only open at 12 so...
I will, but this will be a month or so in the future
EDIT: It's raining now

fishbreeeder

AcornTheBetta said:
I will, but this will be a month or so in the future
EDIT: It's raining now
Any updates? Did they have bn plecos?

AcornTheBetta

fishbreeeder said:
Any updates? Did they have bn plecos?
Calling rn since I've been busy all day.

fishbreeeder

AcornTheBetta said:
Calling rn since I've been busy all day.
What did they say? Call quick cause they close at 7!

AcornTheBetta

fishbreeeder said:
What did they say?
They have em. I will buy it in the next month or so as I am waiting for a new light and some plants and then I will wait for my tank to fill in prior to stocking.

fishbreeeder

AcornTheBetta said:
They have em. I will buy it in the next month or so as I am waiting for a new light and some plants and then I will wait for my tank to fill in prior to stocking.
Yay! Good luck! Excited?

AcornTheBetta

fishbreeeder said:
Yay! Good luck! Excited?
Heck yeah. PLECOS ARE MY FAV!

AcornTheBetta

Anyone looking for fish? I took a trip to Ultimate Aquarium today so I can tell you what they have! Tip: Go in the morning preferably on a weekday as weekends are very crowded.
EDIT: They had pea puffers, BN's, ember tetras, bunch of different types of corys, harlequin rasboras, and rams.

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:
Anyone looking for fish? I took a trip to Ultimate Aquarium today so I can tell you what they have! Tip: Go in the morning preferably on a weekday as weekends are very crowded.
EDIT: They had pea puffers, BN's, ember tetras, bunch of different types of corys, harlequin rasboras, and rams.
Do they have pygmy corys?

AcornTheBetta

fishbreeeder

AcornTheBetta said:
I think they do... I would call tho
Did you like the shop?

AcornTheBetta

fishbreeeder said:
Did you like the shop?
The one you suggested? Haven't been yet...

TacomaToker

Does Ultimate aquarium sell sponge filters? Petco and Petsmart don't seem to sell any.

AcornTheBetta

AcornTheBetta

Do you guys know what LFS accept plants for cash or store credit? Also, I called Clear Water Aquarium on the phone and they were incredibly nice and take in plants for cash and/or store credit.

fishbreeeder

AcornTheBetta said:
Do you guys know what LFS accept plants for cash or store credit? Also, I called Clear Water Aquarium on the phone and they were incredibly nice and take in plants for cash and/or store credit.
DO NOT go to clear water! The last time I went (a few days ago) there was a dying swordtail that they threw in the garbage ALIVE! They keep bettas in moldy cups, cram fish up, and all of them are sooo sick! ONLY go there if you are doing a rescue, please!

julifhy

fishbreeeder said:
DO NOT go to clear water! The last time I went (a few days ago) there was a dying swordtail that they threw in the garbage ALIVE! They keep bettas in moldy cups, cram fish up, and all of them are sooo sick! ONLY go there if you are doing a rescue, please!
Is it the one in San Jose? I’ve been there a couple times. They did have some dead/sick fish, but the store seemed pretty decent. When I went, the bettas were kept in jars. It didn’t seem better or worse than petsmart. I’m just kind of curious, how do you know the swordtail wasn’t dead yet? That’s really sad that they did that

I heard that petsmart also throws away live fish, if there are dead fish in the bag along with live ones

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom