Bay Area Fishlore Group!!

AcornTheBetta

Hello Fishlore! julifhy and I wanted to start a thread so that all of us Fishlore people from the Bay Area can talk about LFS and cool fish related places to go. Feel free to tag people to join in and share!

julifhy

If anyone knows any lfs in the Bay Area feel free to share! It would be helpful if someone did!
Meanwhile here’s a picture of the bay ft. 2 lizards :

Feel free to share pictures!

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
If anyone knows any lfs in the Bay Area feel free to share! It would be helpful if someone did!
Meanwhile here’s a picture of the bay ft. 2 lizards :

Feel free to share pictures!
Where was this taken from?

julifhy

FishGuy4563 said:
Where was this taken from?
Canyon Heights - Vallejo Mills

AcornTheBetta

julifhy

This isn’t a fish update, but if your anywhere in North America you’ll be able to see an occultation in the sky! It’s basically a smiley face in the sky . Venus, Jupiter, and the crescent moon will form the smiley face! Just thought this would be a cool thing to share!

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
This isn’t a fish update, but if your anywhere in North America you’ll be able to see an occultation in the sky! It’s basically a smiley face in the sky . Venus, Jupiter, and the crescent moon will form the smiley face! Just thought this would be a cool thing to share!
Cool!

julifhy said:
If anyone knows any lfs in the Bay Area feel free to share!
Today I called The Ultimate on the phone so that I could by tanks and other stuff to set up the tank, and the guy on the other end was rly nice. He put all of the stuff into boxes, rung me up, and then brought it to my car! A very good experience. I would recommend them to all of you Bay Area people!

JJ3204

Good to know. Too bad I’m too far north.

AcornTheBetta

JJ3204 said:
Good to know. Too bad I’m too far north.
Yeah. They are very helpful. Do u have any recommendations?

JJ3204

Nah, not really. I usually just go to Petco for the essentials. I probably go only twice a year, but sometimes I go to look at the bettas

JJ3204

I’ve heard that there is one by Richmond called Tropical Fish World.

julifhy

There’s a lot of lfs in San Francisco. I’ve never been to any of them, but my dad said he got Kuhli loaches and many other of his fish from from Fairy Lake Discus Palace when he was also into fish (maybe over 20 years ago though lol). Also on the same block, but on the other side, they have really good boba :

JJ3204

I’ve been to E Tea, love it. Not relevant, but love it.

Wrench

No No No...So Cal! hahahahahahahahahaha.
I'm in San Diego lol sorry guys I'll butt out now

julifhy

Wrench said:
No No No...So Cal! hahahahahahahahahaha.
I'm in San Diego lol sorry guys I'll butt out now
I love So Cal too! Especially Santa Monica lol. I love the vibes there. They also have great food there from my experience . Unfortunately, I don’t get to go there often though .

Wrench

julifhy said:
I love So Cal too! Especially Santa Monica lol. I love the vibes there. They also have great food there from my experience . Unfortunately, I don’t get to go there often though .
The food down here is vast in variety hahahaha.
I went to San Fransisco once in 7th grade I was 11,I'm 33 now hahahah.
China town up there is dope!

julifhy

I drove past a pet store in San Jose today. Didn’t get to go in it either lol, but they do have fish and the reviews are really good! It’s called Andy’s Pet Shop. Has anyone been there before?
(Andddd I also got boba lol):

Sorry, I like showing off my drinks lol.

Here are some pictures of a LFS I’ve actually been to:

Sorry the pictures aren’t great. It seemed like if they didn’t want me to take pictures, but I managed to take some anyway. They had amazing salt water fish and great driftwood pieces. The fresh water fish could of had better conditions though (there were a couple dead fish and bettas were kept in jars). Unfortunately, when you look them up, it says they are permanently closed. I’m not sure what happened.

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
I drove past a pet store in San Jose today. Didn’t get to go in it either lol, but they do have fish and the reviews are really good! It’s called Andy’s Pet Shop. Has anyone been there before?
(Andddd I also got boba lol):

Sorry, I like showing off my drinks lol.

Here are some pictures of a LFS I’ve actually been to:

Sorry the pictures aren’t great. It seemed like if they didn’t want me to take pictures, but I managed to take some anyway. They had amazing salt water fish and great driftwood pieces. The fresh water fish could of had better conditions though (there were a couple dead fish and bettas were kept in jars). Unfortunately, when you look them up, it says they are permanently closed. I’m not sure what happened.
Lol. U love ur boba!

JuiceBox52

I'm top far north. I'm near the aquarium co op though!

julifhy

JuiceBox52 said:
I'm top far north. I'm near the aquarium co op though!
I thought you meant there was an aquarium co op store in California and I got really excited lol. Sadly, there isn’t. Have you ever been to aquarium co op? If you were, how was is like?

JuiceBox52

julifhy said:
I thought you meant there was an aquarium co op store in California and I got really excited lol. Sadly, there isn’t. Have you ever been to aquarium co op? If you were, how was is like?
Yes I have. It's great. Really clean. Beautiful fish. The betters are in decent tanks

I discovered it right before a show I did as the theater was above the shop. I saw it and made up my mind that I wanted to see it. I havent had much opportunity to go but I love it

flyinGourami

How did I just find this thread? Hopefully, we can chat and I can also find a good fish store lol.

TheMysticWizard

For many years I had been going to Superway Aquarium in Hayward. They used to be awesome, albeit a very small shop. They would order whatever you wanted, had a great selection of freshwater fish and a decent amount of supplies. The owner sold and retired, the new owner is decent, knowledgeable and helpful but he's a quiet guy. The other people that work there rub me the wrong way. Their fish are still generally healthy and they usually have a decent selection, just not as helpful and welcoming as they used to be.

Ultimate Aquarium in San Mateo was awesome, but I haven't been in a few years. They seemed very knowledgeable, had a great selection of freshwater fish and supplies and some decent saltwater stuff. Friendly and helpful employees that were cool just chatting about fish and such.

I had made the trip down to San Jose to visit Neptune Aquarium. They blew me away, so much awesome stuff and great looking show quality tanks. Their fish looked healthy, reasonably priced and they had quite the selection of both fresh and salt water. Lots of corals and such. People were decent and wanted to help and suggest.

Mostly I order supplies I need online, had ordered fish online a few times. Sadly my 120 is full, haven't put anything new in there in a long time. My 20 hasn't had much new for fish, but I am trying to get into plants so I've been spending a lot of time messing with that.

I frequent Pet Club in Hayward, they have decent freshwater, nothing awesome but you can sometimes find a few gems there. I usually buy frozen food and simple supplies I need there, browse the fish and occasionally pick something up. They're okay, have some supplies worth buying, but ya more of a general pet store.

I'd love to hear where others are going. I typically work in the San Jose area, live by Hayward, where are others going?

AcornTheBetta

TheMysticWizard said:
For many years I had been going to Superway Aquarium in Hayward. They used to be awesome, albeit a very small shop. They would order whatever you wanted, had a great selection of freshwater fish and a decent amount of supplies. The owner sold and retired, the new owner is decent, knowledgeable and helpful but he's a quiet guy. The other people that work there rub me the wrong way. Their fish are still generally healthy and they usually have a decent selection, just not as helpful and welcoming as they used to be.

Ultimate Aquarium in San Mateo was awesome, but I haven't been in a few years. They seemed very knowledgeable, had a great selection of freshwater fish and supplies and some decent saltwater stuff. Friendly and helpful employees that were cool just chatting about fish and such.

I had made the trip down to San Jose to visit Neptune Aquarium. They blew me away, so much awesome stuff and great looking show quality tanks. Their fish looked healthy, reasonably priced and they had quite the selection of both fresh and salt water. Lots of corals and such. People were decent and wanted to help and suggest.

Mostly I order supplies I need online, had ordered fish online a few times. Sadly my 120 is full, haven't put anything new in there in a long time. My 20 hasn't had much new for fish, but I am trying to get into plants so I've been spending a lot of time messing with that.

I frequent Pet Club in Hayward, they have decent freshwater, nothing awesome but you can sometimes find a few gems there. I usually buy frozen food and simple supplies I need there, browse the fish and occasionally pick something up. They're okay, have some supplies worth buying, but ya more of a general pet store.

I'd love to hear where others are going. I typically work in the San Jose area, live by Hayward, where are others going?
I have only been to the ultimate aquarium, but I feel like when I call, a lot fo the time they are out of the stuff that I need.

flyinGourami

I've only ever been to Petsmart and Petco hilarious

JJ3204

flyinGourami said:
I've only ever been to Petsmart and Petco hilarious
Same...

JJ3204

I’m not sure why it’s so expensive, but I found a store in San Francisco called Aqua Forest Aquarium. Expensive as in for some reason their cheapest maintenance scissors are like 25 dollars, unless they are really high quality, no rust, and amazing material. I’m trying to avoid the city right now so I haven’t checked it out yet. There is also one called Ocean Aquarium. Both have really good reviews.

julifhy

JJ3204 said:
I’m not sure why it’s so expensive, but I found a store in San Francisco called Aqua Forest Aquarium. Expensive as in for some reason their cheapest maintenance scissors are like 25 dollars, unless they are really high quality, no rust, and amazing material. I’m trying to avoid the city right now so I haven’t checked it out yet. There is also one called Ocean Aquarium. Both have really good reviews.
I was just in SF this weekend lol. I was going to go to a fish store there, but we ran out of time. We did however go to Petco in San Rafael. They had A LOT of bettas. Even 2 king bettas. I was surprised at how big they were! I never saw king bettas before.

AcornTheBetta

JJ3204 said:
Thanks! I'll check those out!
julifhy said:
I was just in SF this weekend lol. I was going to go to a fish store there, but we ran out of time. We did however go to Petco in San Rafael. They had A LOT of bettas. Even 2 king bettas. I was surprised at how big they were! I never saw king bettas before.
OMG so cool! I have never seen one either. I wish petco and pet stores in general, even The Ultimate Aquarium, would keep bettas in actual tank instead of in cups and bowls. I feel like if they did that then people would understand that bettas can be kept with other fish and that they need a real tank. Sorry for the rant. I just had to get it out.

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:

OMG so cool! I have never seen one either. I wish petco and pet stores in general, even The Ultimate Aquarium, would keep bettas in actual tank instead of in cups and bowls. I feel like if they did that then people would understand that bettas can be kept with other fish and that they need a real tank. Sorry for the rant. I just had to get it out.
I completely agree. They honestly have enough space to keep bettas in at least 1.5-2 gallons with heat and at least an air pump. Not to mention the bettas would be so much more eye catching in an actual tank with maybe even live plants!

TheMysticWizard

AcornTheBetta said:

julifhy said:
I completely agree. They honestly have enough space to keep bettas in at least 1.5-2 gallons with heat and at least an air pump. Not to mention the bettas would be so much more eye catching in an actual tank with maybe even live plants!
I totally agree, but think of it from their point of view... More cost, less profit. Also the fact that betta can survive those conditions doesn't help them want to offer them anything better. Sad how abused they are as a fish.

Really want to buy some Oto's for my planted tank but haven't been brave enough to venture out to any fish stores. Still trying to stay inside as much as possible. Covid is on a steep rise. You guys are braver than I.

AcornTheBetta

TheMysticWizard said:
I totally agree, but think of it from their point of view... More cost, less profit. Also the fact that betta can survive those conditions doesn't help them want to offer them anything better. Sad how abused they are as a fish.

Really want to buy some Oto's for my planted tank but haven't been brave enough to venture out to any fish stores. Still trying to stay inside as much as possible. Covid is on a steep rise. You guys are braver than I.
I may go to The Ultimate Aquarium soon so I'll see if they have otos for u. Yes for the store it is totally a thing of cost vs. profit.

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:
I may go to The Ultimate Aquarium soon so I'll see if they have otos for u. Yes for the store it is totally a thing of cost vs. profit.
Could you also keep an eye out for pygmy corys? I’m planning on getting them when my 10 gallon will be ready
I wish I had a fish store closer to me. The closest one is 15 minutes away (which isn’t bad, but I wish it was closer lol) and The Ultimate Aquarium is 30 minutes away

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
Could you also keep an eye out for pygmy corys? I’m planning on getting them when my 10 gallon will be ready
I wish I had a fish store closer to me. The closest one is 15 minutes away (which isn’t bad, but I wish it was closer lol) and The Ultimate Aquarium is 30 minutes away
Lol, I was planning on getting some pygmy corys so I'll tell u if there are any left when I'm done, hehehe The closest to me is 20 mins (not including petco).

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:
Lol, I was planning on getting some pygmy corys so I'll tell u if there are any left when I'm done, hehehe The closest to me is 20 mins (not including petco).
My tank will probably be ready for them in a month, so hopefully they’ll restock by then if you do happen to take all of them hilarious
I have a petsmart 4 minutes away lol. It got kind of neglected over quarantine though. It just seems really dirty now :/
(There’s crickets running around the whole store and the tanks honestly look kind of neglected )

Also, it’s also right next to a boba place! This is the 3rd fish/pet store that’s right next to one lol.
Edit:
Actually it’s the 4th lol. I just remembered there’s a Petco in Union City that’s pretty close to a boba place AND a starbread bakery
You can get your fish supplies and dessert while you’re there!

TheMysticWizard

Petco Union City was a dump last time I went there, probably a year or so ago, but I doubt they've cleaned it up much.

Grew up in Union City, ironically.

julifhy

TheMysticWizard said:
Petco Union City was a dump last time I went there, probably a year or so ago, but I doubt they've cleaned it up much.

Grew up in Union City, ironically.
When you first walk in, it looks clean (and kind of empty tbh). As you look around it doesn’t look as good though
One thing that made me sad was that they kept 2 adult blue tongued skinks in a 20 gallon... The bearded dragons were also pretty neglected.

I forgot to mention one store I went to back in May. It’s called Reptile Room and they have many amazing driftwood pieces!
They also have pretty good reptile equipment according to the reviews. Unfortunately, they have the same problem as most pet stores. Some of the animals there were pretty neglected. The bearded dragons were really malnourished and some of them had tail rot. One of the boas even tried to bite me through that glass! It seemed really aggressive and malnourished
That aside, it did seem like an okay store. The employees there were really nice and they were also helpful.
If you’re looking for driftwood, reptile equipment, or reptiles, you could possibly check them out!

TheMysticWizard

Ah, I remember when Reptile Room was in San Lorenzo... Years ago.

I went once, after they moved to Downtown Hayward.

Never got into owning reptiles myself... but was cool to look around.

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
My tank will probably be ready for them in a month, so hopefully they’ll restock by then if you do happen to take all of them hilarious
I have a petsmart 4 minutes away lol. It got kind of neglected over quarantine though. It just seems really dirty now :/
(There’s crickets running around the whole store and the tanks honestly look kind of neglected )

Also, it’s also right next to a boba place! This is the 3rd fish/pet store that’s right next to one lol.
Edit:
Actually it’s the 4th lol. I just remembered there’s a Petco in Union City that’s pretty close to a boba place AND a starbread bakery
You can get your fish supplies and dessert while you’re there!
I probably won't take them all because I'm only going to grab 6 or 7 along with some plants. IMO general petco is better than petsmart. Yum. There are 2 motives to go to that fish store!

TheMysticWizard

We need better Aquarium Shops in the Bay Area!

AcornTheBetta

TheMysticWizard said:
We need better Aquarium Shops in the Bay Area!
Yeah I agree!

julifhy

I went to the petsmart in Fremont today for a betta leaf (I should of checked online before bc they were out of stock )
I didn’t get anything this time, but they have seachem florish there! I must of missed it last time I was there since I was specifically looking for it lol. They also updated their animal enclosures! They’re now slightly bigger and you can see the animals a lot more clearer.

Sorry for the pictures, they’re a little rushed lol.

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
I went to the petsmart in Fremont today for a betta leaf (I should of checked online before bc they were out of stock )
I didn’t get anything this time, but they have seachem florish there! I must of missed it last time I was there since I was specifically looking for it lol. They also updated their animal enclosures! They’re now slightly bigger and you can see the animals a lot more clearer.

Sorry for the pictures, they’re a little rushed lol.
Wow. That petco cares for their animals really well. My petco (redwood city) has a good animal care for most animals, but some like the leopard geckos are not cared for at all tho, I haven't been there in a while so.....

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:
Wow. That petco cares for their animals really well. My petco (redwood city) has a good animal care for most animals, but some like the leopard geckos are not cared for at all tho, I haven't been there in a while so.....
Unfortunately not really
The fish tanks there are still kind of dirty and a lot of the fish have some kind of diseases. The previous bearded dragon they had there was very malnourished. I guess most pet stores have their ups and downs.

TheMysticWizard

That Petsmart is half decent, thought I preferred the Petco in Fremont before they closed it down. Petsmart usually has a good assortment of stuff there, Their fish are hit and miss. Seems to me it depends on who is working the fish department, some employees just go above and beyond and make it look good.

Sadly fish from commercial fish wholesalers come in sick and dying, not a ton they can do about that. On a corporate level, they probably have their suppliers they can buy from and don't have a choice. That's why LFS's are usually a better place to buy fish, they can pick and choose where they buy from to hopefully get healthier fish.

I ended up ordering online, got my shipment in today. Bought 6 Oto's, 3 Panda Garra's, some plants and cherry shrimp. Fish look decent, Oto's are a little hit and miss after being in the box for 2 days. 1 looks like he's not gonna make it. Panda Garra look great, active and feisty. See how it goes with shrimp, they are all alive, hopefully they stay that way.

Have to go out next week to buy cat litter. Will probably shop the fish and get some frozen food while I'm there. Pet Club in Hayward, they sometimes have decent fish. I usually end up getting at least something. Hopefully they have frozen brine shrimp and blood worms, cause I'm completely out. My fish have been eating flakes and crisps for the last couple weeks... Though they all eat, I'm sure they're not thrilled about it.

AcornTheBetta

TheMysticWizard said:
That Petsmart is half decent, thought I preferred the Petco in Fremont before they closed it down. Petsmart usually has a good assortment of stuff there, Their fish are hit and miss. Seems to me it depends on who is working the fish department, some employees just go above and beyond and make it look good.

Sadly fish from commercial fish wholesalers come in sick and dying, not a ton they can do about that. On a corporate level, they probably have their suppliers they can buy from and don't have a choice. That's why LFS's are usually a better place to buy fish, they can pick and choose where they buy from to hopefully get healthier fish.

I ended up ordering online, got my shipment in today. Bought 6 Oto's, 3 Panda Garra's, some plants and cherry shrimp. Fish look decent, Oto's are a little hit and miss after being in the box for 2 days. 1 looks like he's not gonna make it. Panda Garra look great, active and feisty. See how it goes with shrimp, they are all alive, hopefully they stay that way.

Have to go out next week to buy cat litter. Will probably shop the fish and get some frozen food while I'm there. Pet Club in Hayward, they sometimes have decent fish. I usually end up getting at least something. Hopefully they have frozen brine shrimp and blood worms, cause I'm completely out. My fish have been eating flakes and crisps for the last couple weeks... Though they all eat, I'm sure they're not thrilled about it.
Where did you order from?

TheMysticWizard

BioAquatix.com

Mamastacia3

Ooh, so excited to have found this group! I’m about an hour north of SF, in Cotati (near Santa Rosa).

There are no good choices around me, a few Petco and Petsmarts which are about what you’d expect them to be, I’ve complained at all of them ( they really love me lol!)

I would LOVE to find a great lfs even somewhat near me. Since I don’t go that often I’d be willing to drive. There is a place in Santa Rosa that ppl seem to think is good, Caesar’s Tropical Fish Palace, but tbh their staff is super snotty and condescending, selection not great, and they had never heard of hydra (which btw I think I may very well have gotten from a plant I bought there).

I did go to Petco in San Rafael for a tank sale and have to agree they were great. I had a good conversation there with the fish area manager and we commiserated about the betta cup situation. He said he really wished they didn’t sell bettas and if it were up to him he’d rather they not sell them there bc of the cups. The bettas seemed in really good shape in comparison with most other places.

But if any of you have recommendations for lfs anywhere in the Bay Area please share. Going to SF is challenging mostly bc of parking but if there was a really great place I’d go (esp w helpful staff who would not treat me like a moron when I go in...educate me if you think I’m going in the wrong direction, ya know?). But anywhere that is great I’d check it out.

Awesome idea to start this!

Cheers,
Stacia

AcornTheBetta

Mamastacia3 said:
Ooh, so excited to have found this group! I’m about an hour north of SF, in Cotati (near Santa Rosa).

There are no good choices around me, a few Petco and Petsmarts which are about what you’d expect them to be, I’ve complained at all of them ( they really love me lol!)

I would LOVE to find a great lfs even somewhat near me. Since I don’t go that often I’d be willing to drive. There is a place in Santa Rosa that ppl seem to think is good, Caesar’s Tropical Fish Palace, but tbh their staff is super snotty and condescending, selection not great, and they had never heard of hydra (which btw I think I may very well have gotten from a plant I bought there).

I did go to Petco in San Rafael for a tank sale and have to agree they were great. I had a good conversation there with the fish area manager and we commiserated about the betta cup situation. He said he really wished they didn’t sell bettas and if it were up to him he’d rather they not sell them there bc of the cups. The bettas seemed in really good shape in comparison with most other places.

But if any of you have recommendations for lfs anywhere in the Bay Area please share. Going to SF is challenging mostly bc of parking but if there was a really great place I’d go (esp w helpful staff who would not treat me like a moron when I go in...educate me if you think I’m going in the wrong direction, ya know?). But anywhere that is great I’d check it out.

Cheers,
Stacia
Don't go to places that are rude. Tbh ppl like that are not worth the drive. I wish I could go to SF, but parents are so limiting

GingerV513

Mamastacia3 said:

Cheers,
Stacia
I saw they opened a fish store in Rohnert Park, near where the old yard birds was (I moved and forgot the name of the street), its if you go straight from Safeway and get to the road next to the freeway. I haven't been though...

I live in Marin County and the Petco in Novato seemed pretty good when I went there. The staff seemed to know what they were talking about. The one in San Rafael makes me a little nauseous lately at the site of their tanks. I found a decent place in Oakland called Bay Bridge Aquarium and Pet where I bought stuff online and picked up in store, so I didn't really get a look around. Seemed ok, bought 5 pygmy corys and they gave me 6. Also their website is super good and shows what fish they have. Didn't email me when my order was ready though, I just went in the next day and they got it all then

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom