Bay Area Fishlore Group!! - Page 4

fishbreeeder

julifhy said:
Is it the one in San Jose? I’ve been there a couple times. They did have some dead/sick fish, but the store seemed pretty decent. When I went, the bettas were kept in jars. It didn’t seem better or worse than petsmart. I’m just kind of curious, how do you know the swordtail wasn’t dead yet? That’s really sad that they did that

I heard that petsmart also throws away live fish, if there are dead fish in the bag along with live ones
Yea! THe swordtail kinda tried to move away from the net

julifhy

Does anyone know anywhere where I can get frozen daphnia? Freeze dried daphnia is seeming to make my betta worse

Lucy

julifhy said:
Does anyone know anywhere where I can get frozen daphnia? Freeze dried daphnia is seeming to make my betta worse
Any fish store should carry frozen foods.
I don't know what's wrong with your betta but generally it's best to avoid freeze dried unless re-hydrated.

julifhy

Lucy said:
Any fish store should carry frozen foods.
I don't know what's wrong with your betta but generally it's best to avoid freeze dried unless re-hydrated.
I'm not sure what's wrong either I always make sure to soak the daphnia in tank water before feeding it to him. I've been feeding him daphnia and fasting because I think he might be constipated, but he's not improving.
The only pet store near me is petsmart and they don't carry frozen daphnia. Neither does petco. I was hoping someone here might know of a LFS that does
For now, it looks like I'm going to have to call the fish stores to find out.

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
Ultimate Aquarium has a freezer for food by the counter, but IDK what they have in it. I've never looked.
You could call them and they will tell you what they have.

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:
Ultimate Aquarium has a freezer for food by the counter, but IDK what they have in it. I've never looked.
You could call them and they will tell you what they have.
I will! Unfortunately, I'm rarely in that area

AcornTheBetta

I got Gotts tonight! 2nd best burger in the Bay. Second to the Hamburger Sandwich from Dad's Luncheonette.

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:
I got Gotts tonight! 2nd best burger in the Bay. Second to the Hamburger Sandwich from Dad's Luncheonette.
Sounds great! We're still eating leftover turkey lol

AcornTheBetta

Hold up! What? This thread is in the USA Aquarium Clubs subforum. Does that mean the Bay Area Fishore Group (BAFG) is a club? That's cool! Mods?

JJ3204

I NEED KANAPLEX!!! I will call tomorrow but does anyone know for sure if there are some stores with it? Curbside pickup, whatever, I just need it!!! Preferably not in the city and closer to the Marin side than San Mateo.
If truly truly truly necessary I can go into the city.

Mamastacia3

Hi there, not sure where you’re located but if it’s an emergency I have maybe 1/3 of a “tube” of kanaplex, good for several doses. I’m in Cotati, about 40 mins from Marin. You can probably find some at a store, but throwing it out there if you’re in dire need.

JJ3204

I think I’d rather buy it fresh. The method I’m using that was suggested was to dose every day after a 100% water change so a few doses probably won’t suffice.

Mamastacia3

Mandy627 said:
Same, sonoma county. Another fire here though. Ugh.
where in Sonoma County? I’m in Cotati

JJ3204

I keep forgetting how big Sonoma is. That fire was from a while ago, probably not too close to me.

Mamastacia3

Random question ( not sure how to start a new thread or threads within a thread, could this become a category in which separate threads could be posted instead of one long thread with various random topics? Not sure how to do that)

Anyway....looking for live betta food. Brine shrimp, daphnia, grindal worms. Anyone know of a Bay Area shop that sells live food? I’d love to be able to give my betta girl Saki some live food. I don’t have the wherewithal to go through trying to cultivate it on my own, just want to buy. I keep reading that lfs will have live food but haven’t found any near me (north of SF, near Santa Rosa). I know live food is the best and would like to at least supplement her diet. Any leads? Here are a few pics of my sassy girl!

AcornTheBetta

Mamastacia3 said:
Random question ( not sure how to start a new thread or threads within a thread, could this become a category in which separate threads could be posted instead of one long thread with various random topics? Not sure how to do that)

Anyway....looking for live betta food. Brine shrimp, daphnia, grindal worms. Anyone know of a Bay Area shop that sells live food? I’d love to be able to give my betta girl Saki some live food. I don’t have the wherewithal to go through trying to cultivate it on my own, just want to buy. I keep reading that lfs will have live food but haven’t found any near me (north of SF, near Santa Rosa). I know live food is the best and would like to at least supplement her diet. Any leads? Here are a few pics of my sassy girl!
Not that I know of. TBH, calling is the best way to find out!

JJ3204

Your girl is STUNNING!

julifhy

JJ3204 said:
I NEED KANAPLEX!!! I will call tomorrow but does anyone know for sure if there are some stores with it? Curbside pickup, whatever, I just need it!!! Preferably not in the city and closer to the Marin side than San Mateo.
Chewy had 1-3 day shipping. Unfortunately I don’t know any LFS that carries it. You could try calling Aquatic Collection. When I went, they had a pretty big supply of medications.

Mamastacia3 said:

Your betta is so pretty!! I don’t know any LFS that carry it, but I came across some people selling live food on Craigslist before. Maybe try checking there?

jake37

I'd suggest that you 'make' your own live food for various reasons. At least in my neck of the wood the live food sold by my local shop was er unreliable for various reasons.

Mamastacia3 said:

TacomaToker

JJ3204 said:
What do you need Kanaplex for? If it’s suspected Columnaris, AvalancheDave will explain to you why Kanaplex + Furan 2 will not treat it.

I’m not sure what you mean saying “preferably not in the city”? If you’re north of the city, there are no LFS. So I’m not sure where you’re hoping to go.

Only LFS I know carrying Kanaplex is Clear Water aquarium. Ultimately, you’re gonna be better off just calling LFS near you.

Mandy627

I'm in the city of sonoma! We are so close!
Mamastacia3 said:
where in Sonoma County? I’m in Cotati

JJ3204

TacomaToker said:
What do you need Kanaplex for? If it’s suspected Columnaris, AvalancheDave will explain to you why Kanaplex + Furan 2 will not treat it.

I’m not sure what you mean saying “preferably not in the city”? If you’re north of the city, there are no LFS. So I’m not sure where you’re hoping to go.

Only LFS I know carrying Kanaplex is Clear Water aquarium. Ultimately, you’re gonna be better off just calling LFS near you.
I need it for Dropsy. I will call around, I can go into the city but I’d just rather not because everywhere is a 50 minute drive and I still have school and work and sports. And Chewie doesn’t have any Seachem products and I dont know how long it would take for Amazon to ship.

julifhy

JJ3204 said:
I need it for Dropsy. I will call around, I can go into the city but I’d just rather not because everywhere is a 50 minute drive and I still have school and work and sports. And Chewie doesn’t have any Seachem products and I dont know how long it would take for Amazon to ship.
If you have Amazon Prime it should arrive really quickly. I recently ordered a heater and it came in 2 days.
I swear I thought Chewy had Kanaplex, but I guess not. What do you need the Kanaplex for?

AcornTheBetta

It's raining really hard here. Do you know if Ultimate Aquarium has any bottled bacteria? I am really looking for Fritz Aquatic's BB, but I suppose any will do.

Sanderguy777

Wow! I can't believe I JUST found this!

Anyone know where I could find a trio of Apisto Agassizii double red locally? I have looked at Caesar's, but their stock is really pretty bad for the prices they charge (though their service is good, imo). I'm near Santa Rosa BTW...
I know this isn't a BST thread, but I just wonder if anyone knows of a store that is likely to have these that doesn't want like $40 for shipping

AcornTheBetta

Sanderguy777 said:
Wow! I can't believe I JUST found this!

Anyone know where I could find a trio of Apisto Agassizii double red locally? I have looked at Caesar's, but their stock is really pretty bad for the prices they charge (though their service is good, imo). I'm near Santa Rosa BTW...
I know this isn't a BST thread, but I just wonder if anyone knows of a store that is likely to have these that doesn't want like $40 for shipping
Lol The Wet Spot charges only $39.99! If I were you, I would call around. How far are you willing to drive?

Sanderguy777

AcornTheBetta said:
Lol The Wet Spot charges only $39.99! If I were you, I would call around. How far are you willing to drive?
You and your math jokes, $39.99, is only .025% less than $40. Basically the SAME. (I was actually referring to them, they have a really good selection honestly).

Anyway, I've been known to drive to the south bay (maybe 60 or 70 miles) for a good deal (granted, it was a tablesaw, but fish or woodworking, the best two hobbies!)

AcornTheBetta

Sanderguy777 said:
You and your math jokes, $39.99, is only .025% less than $40. Basically the SAME. (I was actually referring to them, they have a really good selection honestly).

Anyway, I've been known to drive to the south bay (maybe 60 or 70 miles) for a good deal (granted, it was a tablesaw, but fish or woodworking, the best two hobbies!)
Call the ultimate aquarium and see what they have.

fishbreeeder

Does anyone know an LFS here that takes 1-2 cm platy fry? I have so many little ones!

Sanderguy777

fishbreeeder said:
Does anyone know an LFS here that takes 1-2 cm platy fry? I have so many little ones!
Caesars does NOT. Pet Club in Santa Rosa takes them, but doesn't give money OR store credit.

Also, Aquarium and Reptile Depot near Sacramento takes them, but again, no money or credit. Not sure about any others...

fishbreeeder

Sanderguy777 said:
Caesars does NOT. Pet Club in Santa Rosa takes them, but doesn't give money OR store credit.

Also, Aquarium and Reptile Depot near Sacramento takes them, but again, no money or credit. Not sure about any others...
oh well. Guess I will have to stick with infinite aquarium...

Sanderguy777

fishbreeeder said:
oh well. Guess I will have to stick with infinite aquarium...
Is that a store?

Edit: just Googled it. Looks nice

fishbreeeder

Sanderguy777 said:
Is that a store?

Edit: just Googled it. Looks nice
It's the best one! Healthy fish!

Sanderguy777

AcornTheBetta said:
Call the ultimate aquarium and see what they have.
Which city? I saw a couple on Google maps...

AcornTheBetta

Sanderguy777 said:
Which city? I saw a couple on Google maps...
San Mateo

Sanderguy777

AcornTheBetta said:
San Mateo
I went around Google maps and saw the the other "ultimate aquarium"s were in LA, and Monterey lol. I just saw "ultimate aquarium" and thought it was a chain or something. I'll call tomorrow, I took half the day medicating fish

Sanderguy777

I was browsing CL and saw this, anyone else see what is wrong?

AcornTheBetta

Sanderguy777 said:
I was browsing CL and saw this, anyone else see what is wrong?
Spelled aquaponics wrong at the bottom. Those look like massive pellets too...

Sanderguy777

AcornTheBetta said:
Spelled aquaponics wrong at the bottom. Those look like massive pellets too...
Massive pellets.... of bio filter media!

AcornTheBetta

fishbreeeder

lol

Sanderguy777

So... I just went to the bay area yesterday (before the stay at home thing range on all the phones in the fish store LOL Don't worry, everyone was following CA guidelines, masks, 6ft, etc.)

Anyway, I got to go to Albany aquarium and Bay Bridge Aquarium. I picked up 3 Dainty corys (aka salt AND pepper corys, or Habrosus corys), and 3 paleatus corys (aka pepper corys) at Bay Bridge. They were really nice, and pretty knowledgeable (didn't know the scientific name for pictus cats, but then I don't either LOL). Their fish prices seemed decent for what I looked at, and they had a good selection of fish both old favorites, and fish like the Dainty corys, that I had never seen in person). Their planted soil was much more than Petsmart. They also wanted almost double for sponges and powerheads. Overall, I liked the store and I will definitely be back.

Albany seemed to be better as far as technical knowledge, but their prices were worse for fish (I saw $8 amano shrimp, and $9 snails). They do have a good selection of fish (mostly old favorites, but specifically guppies.), and I can see them being a good source for breeding stock (at least for beginners like me). I will be back, but it wont be anything frequent, just here and there for new genes for the guppy tank, etc.

AcornTheBetta

Sanderguy777 said:
So... I just went to the bay area yesterday (before the stay at home thing range on all the phones in the fish store LOL Don't worry, everyone was following CA guidelines, masks, 6ft, etc.)

Anyway, I got to go to Albany aquarium and Bay Bridge Aquarium. I picked up 3 Dainty corys (aka salt AND pepper corys, or Habrosus corys), and 3 paleatus corys (aka pepper corys) at Bay Bridge. They were really nice, and pretty knowledgeable (didn't know the scientific name for pictus cats, but then I don't either LOL). Their fish prices seemed decent for what I looked at, and they had a good selection of fish both old favorites, and fish like the Dainty corys, that I had never seen in person). Their planted soil was much more than Petsmart. They also wanted almost double for sponges and powerheads. Overall, I liked the store and I will definitely be back.

Albany seemed to be better as far as technical knowledge, but their prices were worse for fish (I saw $8 amano shrimp, and $9 snails). They do have a good selection of fish (mostly old favorites, but specifically guppies.), and I can see them being a good source for breeding stock (at least for beginners like me). I will be back, but it wont be anything frequent, just here and there for new genes for the guppy tank, etc.
Nice! Yeah I don't know the name either...

Sanderguy777

AcornTheBetta said:
Nice! Yeah I don't know the name either...
synodontis petricola

Synodontis is what I was thinking of, but that isn't the genus (family?) that pictus cats are in.

JJ3204

People on here are more active than on my other thread so no one answered, how will I know when dropsy is cured? Symptoms are gone, no more bloating, white gills, and pineconing but those are just the visible things.

julifhy

JJ3204 said:
People on here are more active than on my other thread so no one answered, how will I know when dropsy is cured? Symptoms are gone, no more bloating, white gills, and pineconing but those are just the visible things.
I replied on your thread!

AcornTheBetta

Here's a tip if you want to go to Ultimate Aquarium, go at 10 AM since no one is there and you can have a nice pleasant time browsing. Also, Ultimate Aquarium had a gar labeled "South American Gar" which I thought was super cool. LMK if you guys are looking for any fish since I was there about an hour ago so I know what they have in stock.

TacomaToker

I know someone asked this here before, but what is a good place to get some large driftwood? Thanks

AcornTheBetta

TacomaToker said:
I know someone asked this here before, but what is a good place to get some large driftwood? Thanks
The forest!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom