Biz's Black German Ram Breeding Journal :-)

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by bizaliz3, Mar 28, 2018.

1. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Hello fish friends! I am starting a new breeding journal. BLACK GERMAN RAMS!!!! :) And I am beyond excited about it!! Here is my story, and please stay tuned for pics and video!!

I have a local LFS who isn’t a very large store, but they focus on rare and unusual fish that you don’t see very often. They got in these Black German rams and I just HAD to have them! I am normally not super impulsive, particularly when getting a new species of fish that I don’t know a whole lot about. But I had to do it. They would have been sold out if I waited even one more day.

Luckily these ones were large enough that they were already sexable at the store. And I got a male and female pair for just $36. That was an EXCELLENT deal. I saw a pair being sold somewhere online for $100! (when I was doing my research on my new fish AFTER buying them….which is technically a no-no LOL)

I got a 25 gallon tank just for the two of them. I set it up for them to breed. Pristine water, sand, a corner of plants, a couple flat rocks and a “cave” and a temp of 82. The female had her breeding tube sticking out when I got her home. And after a couple days it went away. So I am thinking she laid eggs and they ate them immediately. Cuz I never saw a thing. Its understandable though, since they had just been imported from overseas earlier in the week and had to acclimate to two new tanks during that week (the LFS and mine). They just weren’t ready. Too much stress!!

Fast forward approx one month and they spawned again. Right in front of my face. I got to watch and take a great video. They laid the eggs on Sunday night (3 days ago) and they hatched last night. It was just under 48 hours when I caught them moving freshly hatched wigglers to a giant pit they dug in the sand. I had read differing accounts of how long they take to hatch. Some people would say 48 hours, others would say 3-4 days. Well, in 82 degree temps, per my experience, they hatch in 48 hours.

I didn’t want to officially start a thread until the eggs hatched. I didn’t want to jinx anything. And I still don’t want to! I hope I am not! Haha. I am feeling incredibly lucky right now because they have already made it further than most new pairs do.( According to all my research anyway). I even had someone who has years of experience breeding german rams, tell me straight up, they will not succeed this time around. They had no doubt about it. It didn’t make me very hopeful. And it is making me still very nervous!! I am unable to get too excited…or I am trying not to anyway. But it’s tough!

All of this has been a surprise to me. I have been on FL for years, and I while I haven’t done much research on german rams….I have seen them talked about quite a bit on here. And people always say they are hard to keep, super sensitive and yadda yadda. And I had been having really bad luck with rare and unsual fish lately. Always arriving sick and not lasting long. I just didn’t even think the parents would make it for me! Not with the string of bad luck I had been having!! BUT they are thriving and breeding! After just one month in my care. It feels SOOO good! They quickly became my favorite fish in my house. Which says a LOT for those who have seen many of my fish, I’ve got some stunners (not to brag haha) and I have 16 tanks of fish to choose from! So ya, these guys are seriously something SPECIAL!!!!!

I have so much more to say about all of this (I know, how is that possible right lol)…but this post is already ridiculously long! Thanks to those who took the time to read it all! Haha And again, stay tuned for pics and video! They are coming real soon!

2. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

3. lilabug4545

lilabug4545Well Known MemberMember

Whoa! If you're sucessful, I might want a couple (or 83).

4. shutterbug13

shutterbug13Well Known MemberMember

If anyone can breed them, it's you! I can't wait to see the outcome!

5. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Loved reading your story, and I'll be excitedly following along. :)

6. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

Here is when I first got them. Lookin a little stressed still.
    20180225_210951.jpeg

Here's the female moments before she laid her eggs
    20180326_000335.jpeg

Here's the male. He's not as black.
    20180302_085718.jpeg

7. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Fallowing. I hope I will be able to tell people that I know the first person in the US to successfully bred black German rams. Good luck.

8. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

haha! I am not so sure about that. I do think there might be a couple others working on it. In fact, during my research yesterday, I think I saw a US person who has been working on getting pure black rams. Rams that will be homozygous blacks (two black genes), that will produce only blacks. And they have been working on it for a while. I am pretty sure they were from the US. These black rams were created in Israel. And those folks likely had achieved homozygous black rams. But the homozygous ones don't exist in the US yet, I don't think.

And mine have been criticized for not being as "black" as the high quality blacks are supposed to be. But honestly, I don't think I would like them as much if they were JET black.....

If I am successful, I can shoot for linebreeding to create blacker ones or have a larger majority of the babies be black. But I am not really interested in that. I think dark german rams are really pretty. But jet black? I don't know if they would be as stunning to look at. I guess they would be if they retain their iridescent blue markings!

The reading I did yesterday did seem to confirm that this "black gene", if there is one, is recessive. And this pair will likely produce some regular german rams in addition to the darker ones. And possibly a portion will be darker than their parents too. But I need to have some further success to see those results!!

9. lilabug4545

lilabug4545Well Known MemberMember

Black with the blue would be magical!

10. Ryan P

Ryan PValued MemberMember

I'm following this journey!
    I'm new to fishkeeping and fell in love with my GBR pair, right now I'm trying to hatch the 2nd batch of eggs they laid for me, half of it I lost to fungus but I can see some life on my DIY egg tumbler and hopefully some survive

11. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

Awesome! I have never tried using an egg tumbler before. Didn't even know they existed until recently. You'll have to let me know how it goes. I am hoping my ram parents might surprise me and do everything right on their first try! So far so good! They removed the freshly hatched eggs into a pit they dug in the sand, away from the eggs with fungus. I expect them to move the wigglers another couple times before they start swimming.

If my ram parents do not get it right (PLEASE DONT LET THAT BE THE CASE) I might look into getting a tumbler. I have removed angelfish eggs before, but I did the whole meth blue and a bubbler thing.

Thanks for following in my new journey!!! I love the support and it is a lot more fun when you have people to enjoy it with! (since none of my family or friends understand the excitement of it)

12. Punkin

PunkinWell Known MemberMember

You are definitely an exception, you clearly know what you are doing! Hoping for the best for you with these little ones! :)

13. Ryan P

Ryan PValued MemberMember

I really was not intending to breed the, but yeah the excitement gets to you when see something like this lol. I only have 1 tank a 60 gallon community. And the first batch of eggs I had with them didn't last for 4hours and I think they got eaten. So 2nd batch I came in prepared. still unsure if this will be successful though.

and even my wife, she was ok with fishkeeping but really not in to until the rams laid eggs, is the one that's insisted to separate them and helped me build the DIY tumbler since the one I ordered has not arrived yet. Good luck to black ram they sure are interesting!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2018
  14. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

Here are a couple spawning videos. Personally I like the longer one better but I included a shorter one too for those with a shorter attention span haha

15. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

I have to agree. I don't think I would like them jet black either. Black with a little blue (like yours) are beautiful.

16. KingD

KingDFishlore VIPMember

Congrats Biz! Can’t wait to see what the babies look like! I’ve seen pictures online of some that have black heads and vibrant blue bodies. Really stunning looking fish. I think jet black would be gorgeous also. When do we start making the list of who’s buying babies from you? ;) lol

17. JRS

JRSWell Known MemberMember

I am following. Very exciting! I wish you the best!

18. jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

Your Rams are beautiful! So following this! I can’t have any but still interested

19. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

You can see the wigglers better this afternoon! The picture I took last night you could hardly see them.

They are in the back of the tank so I had to reach my arm around with my phone to capture the photo. I was one handed so luckily the phone takes a picture when I say a cheese!! Haha so I'm holding the camera behind my fish tank and shouting CHEESE!! Haha

20180328_131002.jpeg20180328_131349.jpeg

20. jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

Hello little ones!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice