AcornTheBetta's 29g build!

AcornTheBetta

Member
HELLO FISHLORE!
It's official, I'm starting to put together my 29g tank. My parents finally let me (with a butt-ton of bargaining) get this 29g as the main display tank! It did come at a cost, of course, I have to pay for all of it, and I had to promise to never get another tank again , luckily, I have a 5g and a 10g already. Now, because I agreed to that, I have to make this tank count! I ordered the filter, the light, and the thermometer today. I will be picking up the tank, the stand, the soil (I'm doing a dirted tank), and the sand tomorrow. I hope I can spray paint the background after I pick up all that stuff. On Saturday morning, I will set up the substrate. Then, Saturday afternoon, I will be heading to my LFS to pick up a ton of plants and hardscape. I will be alum dipping the plants for 2 days before I finally add them to the tank on Monday. Then I will fill the tank and so on and so forth. I will keep you guys posted with tons of pictures of the tank throughout all the stages! OOOOOOO I'M SO EXCITED!
 

kbn

Member
Sounds amazing! Don't forget to update us!
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member

Sputnik

Member
kbn said:
Sounds amazing! Don't forget to update us!
And send us pictures each step of the way!
 

Leilio

Member
Following for sure
 

tnrsmomma

Member
Congrats! Take your time and have fun. I cant wait to see how it turns out
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
Update: I got the tank, the sand and the dirt today. PETCO DIDN"T HAVE THE STAND GRRRR. Hopefully, I'll be able to a stand that looks good and will work. Pics coming soon.
 

Wardonianfungus

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
Update: I got the tank, the sand and the dirt today. PETCO DIDN"T HAVE THE STAND GRRRR. Hopefully, I'll be able to a stand that looks good and will work. Pics coming soon.
If I can catch you before you do it, pour your dirt towards the middle of the tank, and make the sand go to the edge of you tank. That way, you don’t have an ugly divide between dirt and sand
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
Wardonianfungus said:
If I can catch you before you do it, pour your dirt towards the middle of the tank, and make the sand go to the edge of you tank. That way, you don’t have an ugly divide between dirt and sand
I was already going to do that.

Anyone have stand recommendations?

Wardonianfungus do you have any more tips that I might not know?
 

Wardonianfungus

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
Wardonianfungus do you have any more tips that I might not know?
That depends on what you’re looking for. If you have questions let me know. I have a dirted tank and plan on making my new tank dirted as well. If you haven’t put the dirt in already, maybe put it in a bucket under water to get the wood chunks out. Also make sure that there’s no antifungal or pesticide chemicals in the dirt

What’s the stocking?
 

Ryz

Member
This looks intresting ^_^
Cant wait to see it!
 

Convoluted77

Member
Sounds like a fun weekend.Enjoy your tank build
 

86 ssinit

Member
For a stand a strong dresser Or a small buffet cabinet will work. Should be able to get one for around $50. Look on Craigslist.
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
The tank with the stand. Rocks r just sitting there. They aren't the actual scape.


Here is the scape.


I'm going to have to rescape cuz I don't have a place for my sponge filter
 

Sputnik

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
I'm going to have to rescape cuz I don't have a place for my sponge filter
That stinks, but designing the scape is the best part- it will be even better than the first version! Just try to hide the filter as best you can- those ugly filters drive me crazy in my multie tank!
 

kbn

Member
AcornTheBetta I would have sloped the sand a little more towards the back. I see it's sloped already a little and also you have dirt underneath, but it'll look better. Also, too bad you couldn't get a rimless tank, they look much better! Which carpeting plant are you using? Which plants are u using in general? Sorry but I'm almost more interested in the plants themselves than the livestock.

Is it just me or can anyone else see a divide between two layers of sand? I think that was a mistake, presumably that's where the dirt is... I think it's a little too much, but you can't do anything much now. Best of luck, I don't mean to hate, just an observation.
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
Sputnik said:
That stinks, but designing the scape is the best part- it will be even better than the first version! Just try to hide the filter as best you can- those ugly filters drive me crazy in my multie tank!
Here it is re done so the filter fits.

kbn said:
AcornTheBetta I would have sloped the sand a little more towards the back. I see it's sloped already a little and also you have dirt underneath, but it'll look better. Also, too bad you couldn't get a rimless tank, they look much better! Which carpeting plant are you using? Which plants are u using in general? Sorry but I'm almost more interested in the plants themselves than the livestock.
Marsilia hirsuta, crypt wentii green, java moss, s. repens, java fern, anubias nana petite, and some other plants that I cant remember rn.
kbn said:
Is it just me or can anyone else see a divide between two layers of sand? I think that was a mistake, presumably that's where the dirt is... I think it's a little too much, but you can't do anything much now. Best of luck, I don't mean to hate, just an observation.
It was a mistake. Hopefully it will go away. I'll try to fix it tomorrow cuz it's making me crazy!

Do you know how to remove that STUPID line?!
 

Sputnik

Member
Looks good! A word of caution about Marsilea- it grows super slow. This 2 inch diameter patch is all I have from a tissue culture cup of M. angustifia after 14 months!
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
Sputnik said:
Looks good! A word of caution about Marsilea- it grows super slow. This 2 inch diameter patch is all I have from a tissue culture cup of M. angustifia after 14 months!
Oh. Shoot maybe too slow... I'll see if I can find an alternative.

Got any low tech suggestions?
 

Sputnik

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
Got any low tech suggestions?
Well, everything I have is low tech and 20 gallons or under, so I pick slow but reliable plants because I don’t have that much area to cover. I use carpeting as an accent around hardscape so it looks good even in the beginning. I like crypt parva and the marsileas for carpets- but you just need to reslize they wont cover a lot of ground quickly. Once they establish though, they are bulletproof! Don’t need much light or special care with ferts. I had wendtii that went crazy and formed a carpet ( maybe thicket is a better word) super fast (about 4 months) - that might be nice but may be larger that what you like in a 29. It gave my ten gallon a nice, rainforest look, but eventually I had to thin them out. Also wendtii can vary alot in size and its hard to predict what you will get- many get pretty tall! Have you thought about pygmy swords?
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
Sputnik said:
Well, everything I have is low tech and 20 gallons or under, so I pick slow but reliable plants because I don’t have that much area to cover. I use carpeting as an accent around hardscape so it looks good even in the beginning. I like crypt parva and the marsileas for carpets- but you just need to reslize they wont cover a lot of ground quickly. Once they establish though, they are bulletproof! Don’t need much light or special care with ferts. I had wendtii that went crazy and formed a carpet ( maybe thicket is a better word) super fast (about 4 months) - that might be nice but may be larger that what you like in a 29. It gave my ten gallon a nice, rainforest look, but eventually I had to thin them out. Also wendtii can vary alot in size and its hard to predict what you will get- many get pretty tall! Have you thought about pygmy swords?
I'm thinking on doing a full on s. repens carpet with java fern and crypts as little accents in the carpet.
 

Sputnik

Member
That sounds good! Repens is a slow grower too but it makes a strikingly beautiful carpet if you can be patient!
 

kbn

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
I'm thinking on doing a full on s. repens carpet with java fern and crypts as little accents in the carpet.
AcornTheBetta Try pearl weed as well (Hemianthus micranthemoides). It grows super fast in low tech tanks and its really versatile, it can be a midground plant, a background plant, a centrepiece plant and a carpeting plant. It needs frequent trimming in the early stages otherwise it'll shoot for the stars instead of spreading on the substrate.it requires medium to high lighting. I'll see if I can find a pic of a pearl weed carpet....
 

Leilio

Member
Maybe try hydrocotyle tripartita japan, I believe it is a low tech plant that grow fairly quickly
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
kbn said:
AcornTheBetta Try pearl weed as well (Hemianthus micranthemoides). It grows super fast in low tech tanks and its really versatile, it can be a midground plant, a background plant, a centrepiece plant and a carpeting plant. It needs frequent trimming in the early stages otherwise it'll shoot for the stars instead of spreading on the substrate.it requires medium to high lighting. I'll see if I can find a pic of a pearl weed carpet....
Nice! How could I get rid of that line?
 

kbn

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
Nice! How could I get rid of that line?
Push the sand away the glass and fill the gap with new sand

AcornTheBetta , may I suggest, use really big oversized hardscape, it'll give a really natural look and looks better than small and medium sized rocks and wood. Also better to position. Try little pebbles or gravel in select areas for detail as well instead of sand everywhere
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
kbn said:
AcornTheBetta , may I suggest, use really big oversized hardscape, it'll give a really natural look and looks better than small and medium sized rocks and wood. Also better to position. Try little pebbles or gravel in select areas for detail as well instead of sand everywhere
I am using pretty big hardscape compared to the tank.
 

Wardonianfungus

Member
kbn said:
AcornTheBetta , may I suggest, use really big oversized hardscape, it'll give a really natural look and looks better than small and medium sized rocks and wood. Also better to position. Try little pebbles or gravel in select areas for detail as well instead of sand everywhere
AcornTheBetta, I see what KBN is saying, and I just used a similar method for my new tank. He are pictures

This is just a corner of one of the corners between the rocks.

 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
Wardonianfungus said:
This is just a corner of one of the corners between the rocks.
I don't really have any spare gravel tho
 

Wardonianfungus

Member
That’s fine, it was just a tip. I was just trying to show what the other user was talking about
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
Wardonianfungus said:
That’s fine, it was just a tip. I was just trying to show what the other user was talking about
I'm going to leave it and hope it goes away when I fill it. My mom said she liked it because "It looks like sand art"
 

JJ3204

Member
kbn said:
AcornTheBetta Try pearl weed as well (Hemianthus micranthemoides). It grows super fast in low tech tanks and its really versatile, it can be a midground plant, a background plant, a centrepiece plant and a carpeting plant. It needs frequent trimming in the early stages otherwise it'll shoot for the stars instead of spreading on the substrate.it requires medium to high lighting. I'll see if I can find a pic of a pearl weed carpet....
Fish for thought?
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
JJ3204 said:
Fish for thought?
Lol. Yes. Him and his pearlweed.


UPDATE:
I ordered the plants! They should be coming in a few days. I'm guessing mid week, but we'll see.
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
Today the lid and the air pump came! Here are some pics. I also set up the wiring so I have 1 wire that goes into the cabinet so it looks neat.
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
The filter and light and thermometer came today. Heres a pic. I added more sand. Better now?
Here is the eventual stocking plan:
Either a pair or a trio of steel blue killi fish or about 5 clown killifish
8 WCMM
8 Cory catfish
1 BN pleco
 

FishGirl115

Member
beautiful set up
 

JJ3204

Member
I don’t buy fish for aesthetic purposes, but the minnows, catfish, and plexo will blend together with clown killifish since they are all pretty neutral colors. Steel blue killifish will stand out especially since the other fish match the sand, wood, and background while the blue fish would pop.
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
JJ3204 said:
I don’t buy fish for aesthetic purposes, but the minnows, catfish, and plexo will blend together with clown killifish since they are all pretty neutral colors. Steel blue killifish will stand out especially since the other fish match the sand, wood, and background while the blue fish would pop.
Yeah. I agree. I don't buy fish for looks. I buy them if I think they are overall cool. Does that make sense? Like, I think plecos are just so unique and fun to watch so I want one. I like how derpy and how much personality the corys have so I want them. I like the minnows schooling behavior and fast moving ness. I like the killifish's way they swim.
 

JJ3204

Member
I buy fish just because I feel like they’re neglected. Honestly it’s easier to take care of my dog than my fish, and I only have one.
 

Pfrozen

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
Yeah. I agree. I don't buy fish for looks. I buy them if I think they are overall cool. Does that make sense? Like, I think plecos are just so unique and fun to watch so I want one. I like how derpy and how much personality the corys have so I want them. I like the minnows schooling behavior and fast moving ness. I like the killifish's way they swim.
i find that every fish in the aquarium trade is there for a reason.. i dont buy fish for looks either but anything you stock will color up and look amazing if taken care of properly. its a very cool part of the hobby i started with harlequin rasboras and they look different than the pictures online- very colorful with stunning blues and oranges that i wasnt expecting
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
Big update update update! All the plants (tissue cultures and potted plants) are coming to day! The tank will be planted and filled by the end of the day. Pics coming soon!
 

JJ3204

Member
Where did you order your plants from?
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
JJ3204 said:
Where did you order your plants from?
Grean Leaf Aquariums and Marcus fish tanks.

The tissue cultures were from GLA and the potted plants were from MFT. Got 2 day shipping on both.
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
Plants arived and look healthy and pest free. I bleach dipped them just to make sure tho

Ok. So, I have a problem, but also a solution.
The problem: The driftwood floats
Solution: Use a rubber band and a rock to hold it down. Conceal those with java moss. Boom. BiG BrAiN!
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
Ok, so my big brain solution ^ wasn't as big brain as I thought because rubber bands would break down in the water and release all sorts of nasty stuff. Instead, I locked it down with zip ties. It's planted now, but I'm going to add 1 more Java fern to it. What do you think? It's not all the way full so the plants can get more light.
 

JJ3204

Member
It’s going to look super cool when the moss grows on the wood and if it carpets. Also, the color of the wood is pretty.
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
JJ3204 said:
It’s going to look super cool when the moss grows on the wood and if it carpets. Also, the color of the wood is pretty.
I also have s. repens and crypt parva to carpet. I hope the driftwood will become somewhat covered with moss.
 

jmaldo

Member
Nice Start!
I prefer zip ties, once the plant attaches, just clip it off and good to go.

Good Luck!
 
  • Thread Starter

AcornTheBetta

Member
Ok. So I realized I haven't updated this thread in a while, so I thought I should.
Here are the main updates:
  1. I'm away from home currently so we'll see how it survived
  2. I left stagnant water while I was still at home and it smelled like farts and got all over my plants and stuff (Will it go away with time or should I pick it off?)
  3. I am going to purchase a Fluval 207 Canister Filter because I decided running a sponge filter took up too much space and looked bad
  4. The water was beginning to become less and less cloudy
So here are my questions:
  1. Could I cut the sponge that is on my sponge filter to make it so that I would have cycled media to add?
  2. Can you guys recommend some killis that are easy that look a bit like Gardneri and can survive in my tank (Room temp at about 72-74)
    1. How many of those for my tank?
  3. Can someone give me a timeline for adding fish (The full stocking will be 1m and 1f Gardneri Killifish or ~5 Clown Killis or x amount of your suggestion, 8 White Cloud Mountain Minnows, 8 Panda Corys, 1 BN Pleco) *Note: I have 2 WCMM already that I will add to the tank to keep it cycled?
Thanks everyone!
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom