Easiest plant for aquarium

MetLife

Hello, I have a couple (7 lol) freshwater tanks, currently they all have plastic plants in them and I'm really not liking the look any more. When I first started I was sold some beautiful aquarium plants that quickly died. I wasnt informed of care, lighting anything. I know its mostly my fault for not researching before hand but I went with what I was told, "these plants will grow no matter what." Ive learned you have to take what most pet stores say with a grain of salt.
So what plants are good beginner plants? I have moderate lighting in the 3 main tanks and just recently changed from gravel to sand. Thanks for the help!!

2fishinabowl

Wisteria. Hands down the easiest, fastest-growing plant.

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

Anubias, java fern, java moss, bolbitis and bucephalandra. All of these can be attached to decor in the tank rather than planted and they dont have certain lighting or fertiliser requirements. They can also tolerate various water parameter ranges.

Upvote 0

MetLife

Wisteria. Hands down the easiest, fastest-growing plant.
Thank you! Ive never heard of Wisteria, ill check it out.
Anubias, java fern, java moss, bolbitis and bucephalandra. All of these can be attached to decor in the tank rather than planted and they dont have certain lighting or fertiliser requirements. They can also tolerate various water parameter ranges.
I have read about the javas and anubias, and love both of them. Those are the first 2 I was thinking of trying as everything Ive read, they are the easiest. Thank you!!

Upvote 0

Fishnturtleguy933

Any of the above listed but I'd also say water sprite, bacopa caroliniana and monieri. if you want easy reds, ludwigia rubin and dwarf tiger lotus. I use ez green and root tabs and everything grows with no issues. If you wanted to try a type of hairgrass, umbrella hairgrass grows well with no co2 and can easily fill in background space. Banana plants are probably the easiest imo though. They grow nice big leafs and shoot out beautiful lillie pads.

Upvote 0

Eaton

I would recommend Wisteria. I had Wisteria as one of my first plants and it grew super fast and is looking really healthy. I use no special lighting, aqua soil or co2 just some api root tabs in some normal gravel. Thats just me though it might be different for other people

Upvote 0

mattgirl

What will thrive in your tanks will also depend on your water. Plants that grow like weeds for other folks don't grow for me. Take water wisteria for instance. Anyone should be able to grow a tank full of it. It struggles for me. Amazon swords and jungle val grow big beautiful plants for others but not in my tanks.

Java ferns love my water, java moss, or really any types of moss, soon turns brown and withers away. Various Crypts do really well for me. Well they were until my rabbit snails decided they liked the taste. Thankfully now that the rabbit snails are out of my main tank the crypts are coming back but it is a slow process.

And then there are the floating plants. I am finally having some success with frogbit. Both regular and dwarf water lettuce finally all melted away as did my attempt at red root floaters. Frogbit does best in my tiny 5.5 gallon tank. I pull it out of there to make room for more and it slowly melts away in other tanks.

If you have fish that give live birth and want to save some fry, guppy grass also grows really well for me. I only have it in my shrimp bowl and snail jar though. I don't care for the looks of it in my main tank.

All of this simply to say. Find plants that work for you. You will experience some melt when you first get almost any plant. Give them time to acclimate to your water. If after a few months some plants don't make a comeback replace them with the ones that have. There are times I regret removing my artificial plants. Life was so much easier then with no stress over dying plants.

Upvote 0

Catappa

Frogbit as a floating plant and Water sprite either floating or planted. (It grows and spreads super-fast!)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
colbywebre47
  • Question
Replies
Views
Freshfishguy
  • Question
Replies
Views