75 gallon planted community build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by LilChicken, Aug 5, 2015.

1. LilChicken

LilChicken Valued Member Member

This is going to be my first major foray into not only a planted tank but this is the largest tank I've ever owNed in my life thus far.

This is just going to be my diary, if you will, about the progress of my tanks from beginning to end.

I'm currently cycling a 75 gallon and a 5.5 and possibly buying a ten this week as well. We'll see. This project will probably take me about 2 month for completion from this point. Let's just jump in shall we?

my stocking plan for my tank is as follows:
    Purple harlequin rasboras 5
    zebra danios 5
    serpae tetras 5
    pearl danios 5
    scissortail rasboras 5
    glowlight tetras 5
    neon tetras 10
    and corydoras 10

Plants:

Definitely:
    anacharis
    hornwort

Considering:
    java moss
    java fern
    anubias
    Water wisteria
    amazon sword

If you have any insight feel free to drop in and share and follow along :D

2. m

mikerox29 Well Known Member Member

That sounds like a good stocking plan to me. Not sure what temperature the tetras need but be careful with the corys and danios because they usually have lower temperature thresholds than the tetras.

3. OP
    OP
    LilChicken

I was planning on 75 degrees as this is pretty close to the tanks natural temperature and seems to be in line with the temp parameters of the fish listed. Although I do know certain corys prefer warmer/colder ranges.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Only cories that would work at that temp are panda, peppered and trilleneatus.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

I cant wait to see how beautiful everything turns out! Its gonna be awesome, and im sure it will be your pride and joy! Setting up a new tank is always fun, its such an excellent creative process, and is really pleasing to the soul. Dont forget to upload pics as you have them, we all love us some pictures!

One thing I would suggest, I see you have 6 schools of 5, I would recommend changing that to 3 schools of 10, or even better, 2 schools of 15. A proper school is normally stated as 6, however in larger tanks, that minimum school size needs to be a bit higher to reduce aggressive behavior like fin nipping and such. Also, with larger schools, youll see not only more peaceful, but more natural behavior, and it will benefit your fish in the long run as they will have an ideal and stress free environment.

6. OP
    OP
    LilChicken

Uploading a picture for before/after. This is my current set up with playsand substrate, free driftwood held down by slate, and a few plastic plants (for now). This is just so I have something in my tank for the few fish in there. Sorry about it being so dark, I don't have my lighting fixture yet.

Attached Files:

7. OP
    OP
    LilChicken

I'm so excited I had to post an update. I received my package today with some fish goodies and wanted to update my journal for posterity. I bought 2 Aqueon Quietflow 55 / 75 400gph filters and ordered an API freshwater master test kit and I gotta say I'm in love with both. The filters run, not only smoothly, but quietly as well and the test kit is simple to use and the instructions are easy to follow.
    My current water parameters are:
    Ph 8.2
    Ammonia .50 ppm
    Nitrite .25 ppm
    Nitrates 30 ppm
    Temp 76 degrees

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

There are others..... Coradee can name them.
    Keep in mind trilineatus is often mislabeled as C. julii, so if it says julii cories than they are most likely C. trilineatus.

9. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Many of the easily available corys would be happy at 75/76F, it's a bit low for sterbai though

10. OP
    OP
    LilChicken

Coradee I was planning on a school of peppered and a school of bronze. In your experience will this work? Or should I just go with peppered. Also where can I find out what temperature each cory likes?

11. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Peppered would like it a bit cooler, you could have a mixed school of bronze & albino aenus as they're the same species.
    Planet catfish is a good resource for anything catfish  

12. OP
    OP
    LilChicken

Update parameters:
    Temp 77 degrees
    Ph 7.8
    Ammonia .25 ppm
    Nitrite .50 ppm
    Nitrates 10 ppm

Getting closer every day!

13. bigdreams

bigdreams Well Known Member Member

Curious what your substrate and lighting is... can you provide some specifics? I am in process of building out a planted 55 gallon tank too, so it's fun to compare notes and experiences. I chose to do a natural planted tank (Walstad method), wondering what you are doing as you say it is your first planted tank.

14. OP
    OP
    LilChicken

bigdreams my substrate is sand as I read it was the best things for the corys that I plan on putting in the tank and the light I'm going to get is the Finnex planted plus. I'm just beginning so I plan on a few varieties of low light plants, trying to get as close to an amazon biotope as possible for my corys but it won't be totally a biotope.

15. OP
    OP
    LilChicken

Ph 8.2
    Ammonia 0 ppm
    Nitrite .25 ppm
    Nitrates 0 ppm

I think it's time for some fishies! Finally, YAY!

16. Bluestreakfl

To be on the safe side, id wait til your Nitrites are absolutely 0. I made the mistake of adding fish a bit too soon, and had a 5 day nitrite spike when I first added fish to my 55g. Nitrites are even more toxic than ammonia. Also its a bit odd that your Nitrates are reading at 0.

17. OP
    OP
    LilChicken

I thought nitrites were less toxic and Nitrates less than Nitrates but still bad if too high. Should I add a bacteria supplements? I have the ongoing parameters on this thread and I had up to 50 ppm I believe but then it went to zero again.

18. Bluestreakfl

Ammonia is very toxic, Nitrites are EXTREMELY toxic, Nitrates are only toxic once they start to get in the 40ppm range or higher.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice