What's Your Most Useful Non-aquarium Tool (for Aquarium Use)? - Page 4

bitseriously

H2O Concierge said:
I have a question. If you just started then how do you have 6000 ratings and Messages?????
LizP said:
Who are you asking this?
Pretty sure H2O Concierge was asking scarface, whose icon/avatar/info thingy says this:

upload_2019-3-15_7-15-58.png

So, scarface, how DO you get 6K posts and have just started?
[answer is that the site pulls that line of info from user-entered profile details]

MomeWrath

bitseriously said:
Pretty sure H2O Concierge was asking scarface, whose icon/avatar/info thingy says this:

[answer is that the site pulls that line of info from user-entered profile details]
Awww. I bet that's not even his real picture! XD

BRP

bitseriously said:
I am also able to use this setup when draining the tank, since the tank is 6' away from the sink (gravity feed straight to sink). So the cap on the hose prevents livestock from getting in as well.

Ah, I use the intake from an external filter on my hose, with the same effect.
It is for aquarium use though, it doesn't fit in this topic - but I thought others might benefit.

bitseriously

BRP said:
Ah, I use the intake from an external filter on my hose, with the same effect.
It is for aquarium use though, it doesn't fit in this topic - but I thought others might benefit.
I think re-purposing aquarium things for different aquarium uses is fair game.

H2O Concierge

aae0130 said:
These.....

image.jpg
aae0130 said:
These.....

image.jpg
I know that hard wood or tile floors make it easier for spill clean ups, but what else do you use them for?

richiep

A darn good mouth wash for when you miss time sucking water through your siphon tube,
15526673163543269089934477251085.jpg

Ronniethewitch

richie.p said:
A darn good mouth wash for when you miss time sucking water through your siphon tube,
15526673163543269089934477251085.jpg
!!!!?????!!! I never suck it out! ewww that's just gross. I just immerse the hose in water until there is no air left in it. Then cover the ends with my thumb until one end is in the tank and the other in the bucket and move my thumbs...gravity suction takes care of the rest.

goldface

bitseriously said:

I have wasted my life. And no, that's not really me in the profile pic. You guys got me.

Triggerman

it's got to be my 16-inch paint stir I hook a rubber band to Nat and I can reach all the way down into my two foot tank

Attachments

Robmtl

Digital meat thermometer helps keep water temp exactly the same for water changes.

Large syringe for spot feeding

Robinn

(Listed in order of favoritism)

1. Tiny 1mL syringes (May end up getting some 5mL too)
Great for adding chemicals and putting water into test tubes.

2. ~4 cup cheapo plastic containers. I use these for a lot, such as, when I'm removing stuff from my tank, I can just quick drop it in so I don't get water everywhere. That's just one of my uses tho lol

3. Standard washcloth. I just fold it in half and sit it in front of my tank so whenever I have to dry something (hands, syringe, test tubes, etc.) it's right there. Also can be nice for leaky test tube shaking.

Ohio Mark

Last evening I discovered that a spatula (pilfered from the kitchen drawer) makes a perfect took for removing eco-complete substrate from a tank so sand could be but in instead. Just make sure you get all the little pieces out of the grooves in the spatula. I didn't. Now the spatula is mine and "but new spatula" has been added to my "things to do" list.

Robmtl

Just thought of something else I used when I had shrimp old IV tubing for acclimatizing inverts or fragile fish. I could control the speed of drip really well

SunlitWindow

Kjeldsen said:
Plastic clothes hanger with alligator clip. Keeps hands dry and prevents veggie theft.

hoarders.jpg

gatorClip.jpg
Your remark about veggie theft makes me picture a little fish scooting away dragging a cucumber slice with a hanger still clipped to it and trailing behind.

Jellibeen

I started using a fine mesh strainer (like for draining pasta) to filter out my old tank water. I dump old walk down the toilet, and this catches any gravel or large bits of gunk from getting into my pipes.

Ravynn

bitseriously said:

IMG_4091.JPG

IMG_4090.JPG

I am also able to use this setup when draining the tank, since the tank is 6' away from the sink (gravity feed straight to sink). So the cap on the hose prevents livestock from getting in as well.
Where did you get the blue clamp for your tubing? Will need something like this for my new water change system.

angelcraze

Ravynn said:
Where did you get the blue clamp for your tubing? Will need something like this for my new water change system.
I got mine on Amazon I think.

DarkOne

I use this to hang the hose to fill my tanks. Each elbow is about 50¢ at Lowes.

2018-10-16 16.30.51.jpg

angelcraze

DarkOne said:
I use this to hang the hose to fill my tanks. Each elbow is about 50¢ at Lowes.

2018-10-16 16.30.51.jpg
The 'T' is a good addition to prevent the waterflow from dumping straight down.

DarkOne

angelcraze said:
The 'T' is a good addition to prevent the waterflow from dumping straight down.
I had an elbow at first but it was still a bit strong so I added a T. I'm now using 3/4" ID tubing and got 3/4" elbows and T's.

bitseriously

Ravynn said:
Big Als. In their Python section.

Ravynn

angelcraze said:
I got mine on Amazon I think.
This one?

bitseriously said:
Big Als. In their Python section.
Found it on Big Al's for $3.99, just need to wait to get more things so I don't pay $8.99 shipping

ystrout

* 5 gallon buckets and wooden spoons to stir the Prime around.
* Pool Filter Sand since it's such beautiful substrate and is so cheap
* Syringes to measure Prime and other SeaChem Products since that stuff is so concentrated

Robinn

Oh, one more thing to add (my post won't let me edit it )

I use the cap of my test tube (two of mine have the top so sloped they leak a looooot) to keep the lid lifted just enough for me to reach in with my syringe. It's a lot easier than having to hold it open, especially with a light in the way. Here's a pic!

Attachments

Robmtl

Something I just thought of today

IMG_0276.JPG

Test tube drying rack some cardboard and toothpicks

angelcraze

ETNsilverstar

Meat thermometer, turkey baster, canning jars, medical syringes, medicine droppers, a bowl...I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, but that's all off the top of my head.

bitseriously

Robmtl said:
Something I just thought of today

IMG_0276.JPG

Test tube drying rack some cardboard and toothpicks
That is so basic, and so awesome. I've been planning on drilling a piece of 2x6 as a test tube stand/holder, but I love the idea of incorporating a drying rack!

DarkOne

bitseriously said:
That is so basic, and so awesome. I've been planning on drilling a piece of 2x6 as a test tube stand/holder, but I love the idea of incorporating a drying rack!

2018-01-30 15.36.14.jpg

Robmtl

HairyCatFish

A children's medicine dropper I use for filling my test tubes with water from tanks. If I squeeze just right I can suck up exactly the right amount to fill the test tube up to the white line in one shot. Saves lots of time and aggravation when you have multiple tanks.

I also use shot glasses to catch and move my ramshorn snail's to different tanks or to feed my Loaches or puffer. I just place the shot glass in the tank and put an algae wafer inside and wait for the snail's to crawl in to eat it.

The 2nd photo is of my betta trying to get into the glass with the snail's, he's such a clown at times, lol.
0a50960b881caf4a4fcde3ccc1ed595f.jpg

f118ea3b5c84518bd9e815ca4518bf16.jpg

kallililly1973

scarface said:
Watering can for smaller tanks.
I really like that idea. can I just ask. Do you keep it full of water then when a top off is needed you add from that and use Prime ? or is it just for water changes so it doesn't blow everything around? My 5.5 seems to evaporate quite quickly ( no lid ) and sometimes deal with a bacteria bloom so I feel sometimes a top off would be better. It only has a Betta and an Otto Cat in it. Thanks!

goldface

kallililly1973 said:
I really like that idea. can I just ask. Do you keep it full of water then when a top off is needed you add from that and use Prime ? or is it just for water changes so it doesn't blow everything around? My 5.5 seems to evaporate quite quickly ( no lid ) and sometimes deal with a bacteria bloom so I feel sometimes a top off would be better. It only has a Betta and an Otto Cat in it. Thanks!
I do both water changes and top offs with it. For topping off, you could fill it up and let the water age overnight or for 24hrs in order for the chlorine to gas out (doesn't work for chloramines). I personally don't have a problem with evaporation, but when I do add more water, I normally add it using a cup. The amount of chlorine is so negligible, I don't use dechlorinator.

Aquaridiot

I get a bag of plastic 10 cc syringes withOUT the needle off amazon to fill the API test tubes. I also have a little plastic test tube holder that I label each space with a parameter

angelcraze

DarkOne said:
Where did you get those black caps? They look much more leak-proof than the caps that come with the kit. Very helpful when you have to shake the tube a lot.

Biff

Definitely twist ties and velcro straps !

DarkOne

angelcraze said:
Where did you get those black caps? They look much more leak-proof than the caps that come with the kit. Very helpful when you have to shake the tube a lot.
#000 Rubber stoppers from Amazon.

*Edit*
Was in a bit of a rush before. There's a few vendors selling these stoppers on Amazon and prices vary. A 5pk is $9 shipped and so is a 40pk. I bought a 25pk last year for $13. There's also a 100pk for $20.

The ones that I got are now $14 for 25.

These are 4mm shorter (17mm vs 21mm above) so chances of it slipping out might be greater.

One tip is to make sure the stopper and tube opening is dry so it doesn't slide off. I use a 20ml syringe with a 4" blunt needle (14 guage) to fill the tubes so the opening stays dry most of the time. I bought a 10pk of the 4" needles to make it easier to get Prime and other Seachem ferts out of the bottle as well. The syringes and needles are luer lock so it's a half twist to get them on/off. I bought a supply of 3ml and 10ml luer lock syringes since I use them the most.

DarkOne

Another project I'm starting is making pleco caves. I found some 12" x 24" slate tiles at HD. I also picked up a diamond cutter blade and some silicone and will try to make a few pleco condos. The ones being sold aren't too bad at $20-40 ea but hard to find and usually a wait list for them. I'm pretty handy and have a bunch of power tools (arg arg arg!).

angelcraze

DarkOne said:
Another project I'm starting is making pleco caves. I found some 12" x 24" slate tiles at HD. I also picked up a diamond cutter blade and some silicone and will try to make a few pleco condos. The ones being sold aren't too bad at $20-40 ea but hard to find and usually a wait list for them. I'm pretty handy and have a bunch of power tools (arg arg arg!).
For breeding or just hides? Those PVC pipes work well too. Stack 'em and silicone together for condos.

Top Bottom