What's Your Most Useful Non-aquarium Tool (for Aquarium Use)?

Nerium

Reaction score
bitseriously said:
Running water, air dry.
Imagine there is, say, nitrate in your tap water, at (let’s go relatively high) 40 ppm. That nitrate could contaminate your next sample in that vial, but at literally 100ths of the concentration of what you’re measuring. So 20ppm in your next test might be 20.25ppm due to the contamination. Negligible and irrelevant, IMO.
A good point and thank you, though that's not what I'm actually trying to clean - I have a bad habit of walking away and forgetting the tests for a while and after years of use I have a number of tubes with colored residue from the test chemicals inside ... a very small pipe cleaner gets most of it but not the very end and it bugs me!! II' prolly gonna try something like a bit of sponge stuck on something but I just wondered if someone had found, I dunno, a baby's nose cleaning gidget or obscure cooking utensil #325 that just happened to be perfect for the job

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I use hand soap to clean my tanks. It gets them squeaky clean

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bryangar said:
Dawn blue dish soap is the best for cleaning if you need soap for aquarium stuff.

Ronniethewitch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Had a parasite scare awhile ago. Broke my tank down and to clean things from/in the tank I used my steam cleaner- no chemicals at all... kills bacteria AND parasites immediately. At the same time as breaking the tank down I was treating all the tank inhabitants in a smaller bucket-requiring less medication, so that when I returned them to their fresh tank they didn't bring anything back with them. I did have to recycle the tank but its been two months now without sign of any issues and has done the trick.

Nick72

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Plastic Mesh Fencing

I've just lost three of the nine Red Eyed Tetra that I bought last Friday.

I really didn't think they would jump ☹

Strange thing is they all jumped somewhere between 1am and 7am, when the lights were out and they should have been sleeping.

Just Implemented this $5 emergency overnight cover. Took all of 10 minutes to cut to size.

C5FF15FD-E015-49DD-A6B0-C284C37F7225.jpeg

4BD77A0A-8FE6-497B-BF2D-5326C3D6387C.jpeg

It's not 100% but I'm fairly convinced it will stop any more from jumping.

H2O Concierge

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My computer. I can learn more in one day than I would have in the "old days" with a week at the library. For the more conventional answer... Medical hemostats, syringes and eye droppers

Nerium said:
I use an egg cup to put frozen peas in and splash hot water on them to thaw them for the goldfish .... actually an egg cup is my go to for all fish food operations like that, hahah. Rarely get used for eggs!

Long reptile feeding tongs! I got them to feed some axolotls that I rehomed on to a friend and forgot to give them to her - now I find them great for all those tank-reaching situations where you don't wanna get your whole arm wet.

I'm another dog towel and plastic dish scrub user haha. Also for buckets, these flexible ones?

Originally used to use them as feed bowls for horses but can't recommend them more highly for water changes as you can hold both handles in one hand to carry and this closes the bucket a bit for less splashing, they're gentle on your legs to walk with,and they naturally form into a pouring spout to tip into the tank or wherever else.

Now I wanna know if anyone has any crafty items they use to clean the inside of the little test tubes for the API liquid water test kit!
I found an assorted sizes of bottle brushes at Freight Harbour. Use distilled water to rinse tubes. Sorry for the size of the picture.

9 Pc Tube/Pipe Nylon Brush Set

Item#90631

FergusDaFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Michael.j.gomez said:
Hello, I use a rubber baby's nasal bulb(say that 3×fast)for water tests
You have a rubber baby? o_O

Nick72 said:
Plastic Mesh Fencing
Just Implemented this $5 emergency overnight cover. Took all of 10 minutes to cut to size.
C5FF15FD-E015-49DD-A6B0-C284C37F7225.jpeg

4BD77A0A-8FE6-497B-BF2D-5326C3D6387C.jpeg

It's not 100% but I'm fairly convinced it will stop any more from jumping.
I need to do that to keep my cat from sticking his face between the light and the opening in the cover and drinking out of the tank. Took me weeks to figure out why that tank was losing water so quickly!

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Flashlights.

I have an Olight S10 and a Braun 390 lumen light bar from Harbor Freight. The S10 is old but has a magnetic base so great for my metal shelving. It runs on a CR123a battery but I use a rechargeable. The Braun also has a magnetic base but it's a bit bigger. It's rechargeable (uses a 18650 battery) via MicroUSB.

390 Lumen Magnetic Slim Bar Folding LED Work Light
$40 but often goes on sale for $20. They sell pretty fast when it's on sale so it took a few months for me to get a 2nd (and 3rd) one. The 3rd is still in its packaging as a backup.

LizP

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use a brush that you use to clean out straws, they are bendable to get into areas that are hard to get the gunk out of filters when they are clogging etc.

Biff

Reaction score
A digital meat thermometer. My fish appreciate the exact same water temperature pouring into their tanks.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bryangar said:
I legit thought soap was a no no for aquariums. Then I read a drop of Dawn is great for removing dust from sand. What do you use soap on pls?

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
angelcraze said:
I legit thought soap was a no no for aquariums. Then I read a drop of Dawn is great for removing dust from sand. What do you use soap on pls?
I was kidding oops

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Siphon tubes I rigged up at varying lengths for tank depths, great for spot cleaning, removing hard to get shrimp safely

Attachments

Michael.j.gomez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Plastic pot scrubbers in filter for added bacteria!
20190302_201341.jpg

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Michael.j.gomez said:
20190302_201341.jpg
Those are great, and not to deviate from the thread, but it looks like you've got a ton of water flowing right back out the front by your intake tube and not getting filtered. Just something I noticed. Maybe too much of a good thing going in there? *shrug*

Michael.j.gomez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Magicpenny75 said:
Those are great, and not to deviate from the thread, but it looks like you've got a ton of water flowing right back out the front by your intake tube and not getting filtered. Just something I noticed. Maybe too much of a good thing going in there? *shrug*
Yeah good eye, needs cleaning. Moving 6 tanks tomorrow(5-55 gallon). Can wait. Starting new maintenance schedule.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Does anyone have a trick for cleaning the bendy part of the aquaclear filter intake tubes? I have a bendy hose brush (1” brush that swivels and bends on a long flexy plastic line), but it’s mediocre at best.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bitseriously said:
Does anyone have a trick for cleaning the bendy part of the aquaclear filter intake tubes? I have a bendy hose brush (1” brush that swivels and bends on a long flexy plastic line), but it’s mediocre at best.
Same here, I have that too but it’s a pain! And it’s like 5’ Long!

BRP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A plastic old (credit) card, member card or what ever.

You can clean the glass with them without scratching it. Als you can remove the sand/small gravel from the glass to clean the glass near the bottom of the tank.

Move the card from the top to bottom. Except for green spot algae the algae come off easily.

H2O Concierge

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Michael.j.gomez said:
20190302_201341.jpg
To reduce overflow (unfiltered water) I decrease flow in my HOB. It also helps because with some media (like Seachem Matrix) needs a flow rate below 50gph for the BB to grow properly.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom