What's Your Most Useful Non-aquarium Tool (for Aquarium Use)? - Page 7

Aysu

A cat litter scoop's holder modified to help with water changes. Never used it for the cat boxes, but we drilled some holes in the sides and slapped some cheap bent metal hooks on there to hook it over the edge of the tank. It's easy to place, easy to remove, and it keeps my plants, gravel, and fish from being blown around when I add water!

Other notable mentions are an old credit card for scraping algae, a cheap toothbrush, and "volunteered" family members.

Frisbee

I don’t have a most useful non-aquarium tool, but I do have a least useful. This creature steals filter sponges and runs off and hides under the bed with them. The other day I found a pile of soggy Polly-fill under my bed... now I wonder how that got there.

136202A8-800D-4658-AD00-67011A322A3E.jpeg

sairving

I don’t have a most useful non-aquarium tool, but I do have a least useful. This creature steals filter sponges and runs off and hides under the bed with them. The other day I found a pile of soggy Polly-fill under my bed... now I wonder how that got there.

136202A8-800D-4658-AD00-67011A322A3E.jpeg

Kitty is just trying "help" lol

qldmick

Will do as a fry saver,

IMG_20210425_135900 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20210425_135847 - Copy.jpg
36cm x 30cm so bigger than brought ones. Anyway last time I used a shop brought one my clown loaches (and probably larger cichlids too) sucked most of the babies through the holes.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Uhm...Towels lol. I mean I don't think there is a single thing I use more than towels.

cdw202x

I would mark it down to three things:

(a) the small, clear glass pyrex glass dishes -- some reason, fish seem to be curious about what this is and swim into it. I can then scoop them out and is much easier than a net

(b)+(c) a small medicine dropper (not the syringe type) I got from the pharmacy with a small, wide-neck pickle jar. If I have to soak the betta food or thaw frozen food or mix chemicals or whatever, I use these things over and over again. The bettas have come to realize the medicine dropper means food is coming and both are easy to clean.

Houdini5150

empty gallon jugs

Fisch

I would mark it down to three things:

(a) the small, clear glass pyrex glass dishes -- some reason, fish seem to be curious about what this is and swim into it. I can then scoop them out and is much easier than a net

(b)+(c) a small medicine dropper (not the syringe type) I got from the pharmacy with a small, wide-neck pickle jar. If I have to soak the betta food or thaw frozen food or mix chemicals or whatever, I use these things over and over again. The bettas have come to realize the medicine dropper means food is coming and both are easy to clean.
I have to try the pyrex thing :)

BigManAquatics

I get a lot of mileage out of duct tape and ziplock bags.

Thunder_o_b

Carpenter's level for setting up new aquariums. I use 2" to 4' levels.

Small wood blocks and shims to level aquarium and HOB.

Cordless drill for drilling holes in drift wood. The holes are for wooden dowels to join the wood together. They can then be disassembled when needed but are as strong as if you glued them.

Flat black latex paint for painting the aquarium sides that face the wall or a window. Can be scrapped off when needed. But the glass must be VERY clean or you are in for a lot of rework.

FishDin

Plastic razor blades for scraping glass without worrying about scratches.

Clear plastic soap caddys and plastic canvas used for riparium planters.

IMG_5204.jpg
IMG_5205.jpg
IMG_5206.jpg

Sb092

What's the most useful tool you use in your day to day (or weeks or months) aquarium-ing that's not an aquarium tool or equipment?
Could be for home hobbyist, casual or professional breeders, fresh or salt.
Not really asking about diy solutions, although those are welcome, but more things you get off the shelf, from the non-aquarium part of your shopping routine.

For me, it's this thing:

BDFEFFEF-997E-4B44-B86C-319E18D742A8.jpeg
Reusable Keurig-style coffee pod. I previously raised some ADF from eggs, and am currently working on Amano shrimp breeding, all as a wee basement project. This filters are great for straining tiny larvae out of cups, jars, water changes, etc, without using a net, and are super gentle on them.

Also 2-3 litre jars from Ikea, in a water bath, for multiple small tanks.

6DC230F2-A8C7-4E3D-B7B5-7C8F00EA94A6.jpeg
Hydrogen-peroxide. So maybe not a tool… but I use it to clean many decorations, hoses from syphons, works great to get algae and whatever mold stuff starts showing up on syphon hoses.

DirtyWater

A Flashlight would be first by far, then Chopsticks. Definitely chopsticks. Especially the extra long cooking ones.

Lily1

Turkey baster, sure someone else said this, but thread too long for me to tell. Found opening too small and took a hacksaw to it.
442A3229-2F90-4C6C-936A-761703029B6A.jpeg

CHJ

Turkey baster, sure someone else said this, but thread too long for me to tell. Found opening too small and took a hacksaw to it.
442A3229-2F90-4C6C-936A-761703029B6A.jpeg
You using it as a shrimp catcher? That is what I started using basters for.. well modern days after trying to suck up fish poop with one when I was I was a kid.

Lily1

You using it as a shrimp catcher? That is what I started using basters for.. well modern days after trying to suck up fish poop with one when I was I was a kid.
No, I remove big axotle poops & uneaten pellets

leehblanc

I'm relatively new to fish keeping, but here's my list:
35ml syringe. Perfect for testing pH, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates all in one go!
3ml pipette for dosing Prime, Flourish, etc.
I got a plastic lunch tray for $6 on Amazon to do my tests on and lay the filled syringe on between tests (sits perfectly on the bottom supports of my stand)
Fold-down baby bottle drying rack for drying my test tubes.
Neodymium magnet hooks for hanging my net, aquarium towel, etc off my stand.

BVUBeavers

Baby bottle cleaner - for cleaning out my intake ports,
Long shoelace - tied to a larger bottle cleaner. I can use a long plastic stick to push the cleaner all the way through the intake and outlet hoses then use the string to pull it back through to clean the hoses.
Old Towels - with wood floors, multiple towels are a necessity so I use old towels so I don't care how dirty they get

leehblanc

I think re-purposing aquarium things for different aquarium uses is fair game.
In that case, I have one to add... I bought the large size hose clamp suction cups. They are the perfect size to hold my lucky bamboo upright!

Attachments

• IMG_2143.JPG
    IMG_2143.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 3

ppate1977

A big plastic spoon I use when pouring water in my tank after water changes. It spreads the water out so my plants and fish are not disturbed. I turn it upsidedown and pour away onto it.

ProudPapa

A big plastic spoon I use when pouring water in my tank after water changes. It spreads the water out so my plants and fish are not disturbed. I turn it upsidedown and pour away onto it.

I prefer this. I hang it on the side of the tank and pour into it.

Attachments

• 0606201040.jpg
    0606201040.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 2

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Steelcrystal
Replies
Views
Jaysee
Replies