What's Your Most Useful Non-aquarium Tool (for Aquarium Use)?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Addie42 said:
I use a rice steamer as a lid for a tank - does that count?? Lol
Oh! Glass from Picture frames for tank lids

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IMG_4439.jpeg

Straws! lol use it in all my tanks, i use them as feeding rings and also my bettas love building bubbles nest in it.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
86 ssinit said:
5 gal buckets! .
AGREE!! My dad brings back like one a day from home depot. So I got many stacked up. If my tank ever explodes I would say a 5 gallon bucket with sponge filter and heater. Like petsmart does sell Top Fin buckets but for that price?! Never! Also works for keeping gecks in
Henry in a bucket dureing cleaning:
upload_2019-2-22_13-10-30.png

The time I forgot about draining a tank and it over flowed...
upload_2019-2-22_13-10-48.png

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A grout brush is good for scrubbing algae off of rock's.

Samanthaljay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Algonquin said:
I've used those day-by-day pill dispensers that are labelled Mon, Tues etc for measuring out fish food when we're on vacation. Then whoever is feeding the tanks doesn't have to guess how much or what kind of food to put in each day.
I just used this hack when we were at Disney last month! My friend who was watching the tanks was proud to report everyone was happily fed and alive haha

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bitseriously said:
Can you guys elaborate a bit?

Is this for refilling from water changes? Just the hose, or do you use noozles?

Colander in the tank, or in the sink?

For refilling?
Yup. Refill.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
All of the tables and furniture that has been moved and used as tank stands..

Zai

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
We use one gallon milk jugs we cleaned and sterilized to keep conditioned water in so we can easily do water changes!

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This may be way off but I would say my well pump. Gives unchlorinated water to the whole house so its invaluable to do water changes. No conditioner or dechlorinator needed.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Toilet bowel thing to clean the larger tanks glass where the magnafloat can't get!
Image1550895063.980496.jpg

FishMommer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Demeter, I just came up w the chopsticks myself tonight! Fed frog bloodworms for the first time and needed something - because I was not going to touch them!

Re: Buckets, I just thought. I have one with wheels I bought awhile back. Can't use it, but may invest in another clean one. Not sure I can pull off a hose from such a distance.

Amynnas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I use a baby nose dropper for cleaning out babies noses to draw up enough water to test my tanks parameters instead of trying to fill each vial individually.

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
turkey basters (sucking up debris/poop/food/dying plants and water for refilling my hobs, also used for acclimation), watering can (i transfer conditioned water from a gallon pitcher into a watering can to disperse the water and create a rainfall effect that my bettas love), pitchers (for water changes and holding stuff from my tanks, including all my aquascaping tools lol), measuring cups (same), buckets (water changes and holding stuff), plastic syringes (measuring water for test tubes), medicine droppers (feeding frozen daphnia), tiny ziploc cube containers (frozen food storage and thawing), dish scrubbing tools (scrubbing rocks), paper towels (i go through so many paper towels omg...), x-acto knife (scraping off extra silicone or when i tear my tanks with built-in filters apart lol), white vinegar (for cleaning hard water stains off of glass lids), glasses lens cleaner (for cleaning the outside of the tanks), amope battery-operated foot file (for filing down driftwood and decorations -- this is probably the weirdest one lol), and mr. clean magic erasers (for cleaning algae and other stuff off of glass)

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FishMommer said:
Re: Buckets, I just thought. I have one with wheels I bought awhile back. Can't use it, but may invest in another clean one. Not sure I can pull off a hose from such a distance.
Home Depot has wheeled platforms for garbage bins!

midnathat’s quite the list! Love the filing driftwood idea. And +1 for pitchers, I have about 5 myself, yay dollar store.

qldmick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
non scratch scourers for cleaning algae off the glass.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lol I have chop sticks on top of all my tanks.

Jack B Nimble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
15509342125728501160648850489189.jpg
I use boot trays for my back ground keeps splashes and drips in tank here are same boot tray two different times.
20190218_130159.jpg

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Toothbrush, syringe, wooden skewers, pot scrubbies, a pickle jar, super glue, thread, a magnifying glass, paint scraper. I tried the straw thing for my frogbit, it didn’t work due to so much circulation but it was a great idea. I like seeing other ideas, nice post!

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sterilite 6qt shoe storage boxes.

I initially bought 6 from HD for a buck a piece and had to go back to pick up 10 more a few weeks later. HD raised their prices but Target still has them for a buck ea. I use them all the time for everything. I have a few to store food, ferts and extra parts and gizmos for the hobby. I have a few that are used to hold plants and decorations while scaping. I use them as overflow trays when I get new fish. I've used them to wash gravel too.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guanchy said:
IMG_4439.jpeg

Straws! lol use it in all my tanks, i use them as feeding rings and also my bettas love building bubbles nest in it.
I don't know why I didn't think about this. Thank you for mentioning it. Years ago I bought a package of 100 of the bendable straws and still had most of them. I have now made cages for my dwarf water lettuce. Such a simple thing to do. So much easier than anything I have tried up to this point.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads