What's Your Most Useful Non-aquarium Tool (for Aquarium Use)? - Page 2

DarkOne

I use airline hose and a suction cup to make those. I did have to buy some connectors but it works the same. The suction cup holds it in place.

NYFishGuy

1 gallon milk containers, when cut as pictured its very sturdy when using the handle.

Top use: Cleaning sponges!
I found myself cleaning sponges in the water drained into a 5 gallon bucket couldn't get all the gunk out because the whole volume of water was instantly contaminated.
Now I use the milk jug scoop out .5 gallon (fits into 5 gallon bucket easily) squeeze sponge in there, dump into another 5 gallon bucket and repeat.

Other: Fish moving/ acclimation ect, small water transfer
Net /wet stuff storage

Maybe: small fish breeding rack tanks?

sponge-cleaning.jpg

angelcraze

Rubbermaid bins/clear totes. I use them as extra tanks when I need something temporary, and to age my water for water changes. I use wheeled totes so I can move them between tanks.

Containers with perforated holes to use as fish isolation boxes. Add styrofoam to float it, or clip to rI'm of the tank.

20190130_150705.jpg

Shower poufs as DIY media bags, whatever else you need netting for, like building banks in the aquascape. Take em apart from the middle and you have an endless tube of mesh.

20180914_010628.jpg

angelfishguppie

bitseriously said:
Home Depot has wheeled platforms for garbage bins!
I just bought a 20 gallon trash can and wheeled dolly for water changes (Amazon). I toss a table cloth over it when done and it passes for an accent table.

FishMommer

Chopsticks - I wonder if they might also work with plantings?

Jack B Nimble said:

15509342125728501160648850489189.jpg
I use boot trays for my back ground keeps splashes and drips in tank here are same boot tray two different times.
20190218_130159.jpg
Wow that's something. I love the juxtaposition of the fresh plants growing so tropical like and the snow on the trees outside the window!

midna

WTFish? said:
Toothbrush, syringe, wooden skewers, pot scrubbies, a pickle jar, super glue, thread, a magnifying glass, paint scraper. I tried the straw thing for my frogbit, it didn’t work due to so much circulation but it was a great idea. I like seeing other ideas, nice post!
I forgot about super glue!!!

Jack B Nimble

FishMommer said:
Wow that's something. I love the juxtaposition of the fresh plants growing so tropical like and the snow on the trees outside the window!
Thanks and yes quite a contrast of two extremes.

Blacksword72

Small rubber tipped dust pan is great for removing gravel.

BlackOsprey

Two chopsticks superglued together to make one long stick. Need to poke at the substrate to release gas bubbles but don't wanna get your arm wet? Chopstick. Need to stir around the Equilibrium mixture before adding it to the tank? Chopstick. Need to brush some debris off of your plants? Chopstick. Need to shove a plant back into the gravel? Chopstick!

Quart size tupperware and mason jars are great for all kinds of uses too.

Potato head

A metal kebab stick just to push things around

Fishcat

Turkey baster, boot tray under the ten gallon, cat litter box for washing sand, and the out-of-date, but clean, syringes from work that I use for dosing Prime and everything else, and also for starting a siphon on airline tubing for small tank water changes.
(I work at a veterinary clinic and sometimes syringes go past their use date without being used)
Oh, and the quart measuring cups that hang nicely on the side of a bucket for putting water into tanks, and the snail trap shot glasses.

coralbandit

I use 5 g bucket paint strainers as breeder nets .

ebO0Rqvl.jpg

akNgS7Kl.jpg

^^ I have added a small sponge filter to under it so fresh clean water is lifted into the net ^^
I also use terracotta pots /trays and roofing slates for my fish to lay eggs on.

bitseriously

coralbandit said:
I use 5 g bucket paint strainers as breeder nets .
I never knew there was such a thing, that’s awesome!! Non-aquarium plus an add-on diy. So do you float these in a larger tank, and is the bottom sponge fed by simple air line?

Chopsticks seems to be a winner, for many.

coralbandit

Yea the strainer is from Sherwin Williams [$6] and the sponge filter is an AquaTop CAF10 [$3].
They fit perfect in/on 12 inch wide tanks or you can float them in larger tanks by wrapping the rI'm with backer rod [foam rope /cheap] .The strainer can be used without filter just like any other breeder net .They really are great for livebearer fry or egg layers after first 2-3 weeks. The net is 600 micron I believe so tiny fry can get out .
I poked the hole in strainer and inserted filter. The CAF 10 is a highly un recognized tool IMO .a small sponge unit driven by air that has bio media[gravel] to help hold it in place as a weight. Did I mention cheap and small.

QDKKiWKl.jpg

They are good "fool/full proof " duckweed floating plant corral also .

Lucus Tate

I haven't used it yet, but this hand pump siphon will hopefully make adding water back to my tank with a 5 gal bucket much easier and less disruptive to my fish and plants.

You guys and some great ingenuity!
1551017663248.jpg

Ronniethewitch

my garlic press. it has tiny holes to force food through. I put all the veg (peas, garlic, cucumber etc) that I feed them through the press and hey presto! food is small enough for them to eat. if I have to cut it up there are always large chunks that sit at the bottom of the tank to cause problems -but when it is small enough to eat in a single bite then nothing gets a chance to land on the bottom.

LuxuriantTen

I use plastic storage boxes as breeding tanks. As for a filter I just use a very small one, put within a ice tea bottle to get the correct flow!

guppy breeding.jpg

Bob_STL

Syringes !! - especially insulin syringe for measuring Prime water conditioner. I only have a 10 gallon tank so my weehly water changes are only about 2 gallons & need 2/10 of milliliter of product.

schmath

I love this colander. I lay it across my tank before I pour water in and it disperses the water like gentle rain instead of a heavy stream that kicks up debris and messes with the scape.

Kai Carlow

I use a saucer (that you typically use to catch water beneath plant pots, not sure if saucer is the right word?) I cut a hole in it, put a suction cup through the hole and stick it to the side at the top, with some surface plants over the top as a nice little surface-den for my african clawed frogs! They totally love it gives them something to hold on to at the top of the tank but also have cover from the light.

LoveMyFish77

I use a 3 ml syringe from my nursing supplies when measuring things to add to the water or when withdrawing 5 ml of water for water testing. It's very helpful for being precise.

Logan.t.Foster

The towels I just used to clean up the 5 gal bucket I spilled on the floor.

Tol

Plastic syringe that comes with children's medicine. Useful for dosing prime and ferts. Drawing water for testing. I also use one to feed bloodworms to my frogs.

bitseriously

Logan.t.Foster said:
The towels I just used to clean up the 5 gal bucket I spilled on the floor.
I have a dog who gets forest walks every day, so we have a ton of dog towels, and they do heroic duty around my tanks. During changes, there’s on in the floor, one on the table, and one on my shoulder.

walkamile07

The wife's tupperware when she's not looking. Check a fish for disease up close, check. Grab a catfish that you don't want tangled in a net, got it covered. Saltwater tank needs ato filled, no problem. Need to dip a coral, consider it done! ...

She hasn't used it in years but I still have to be in stealth mode, if I got caught I would never hear the end of it.

FergusDaFish

I found two extendable hot dog forks (meant to cook dogs over the camp fire) that I use for stuff. I altered one to be the extender arm of my air pump vacuum and I current have a plastic fork taped to the other so I can comb through substrate if it needs to be stirred, rearranged or beautified. Literally one of the best finds I have because I can extend it just a little for my small tank or a lot for my bigger one and use the same tool at a comfortable length.

I found a deep fryer spoon (wide, flat, screened) that I use to sift stuff out of my sand substrate.

Then the typical turkey baster, thread, colander, buckets, eye droppers, etc.

Every time I stop by Good Will I make a stop in their utensil aisle and see if there are any useful looking spoons, screens, sticks or measuring implements for the tanks.

SteveK3586

1ml & 5ml syringes, my wife uses a lot of medication and I always get a fresh syringe with each prescription whether she needs it or not (she has a habit of losing them), any that are spare are great for drawing test water or for adding dechlorinator etc. Clear plastic tubing from the diy store, about 16mm diameter holds led light strips great - you can fit a few in each. Seal both ends with fish safe aquarium sealant and you can submerse them in the actual tank and make some great lighting effects with different colours for basic decorative community type tanks.
Normally closed solenoid switches for various car windscreen wiper type things from the autoparts store, with connect it to a 12v converter (eBay for less than a couple of £) mounted on a stand and you've got an electrically activated venturI system for less than £5.

Bacalaotropic

A fork, for holding my CAEs slice of zucchinI down.

richiep

My wife the little marvel she makes me tea while I do water changes on 11 tanks

Btcapri00

I would have to say plastic pot scrubbers. I use them for a complete DIY pickle jar filter for my deck pond and they do wonders. So much surface area for all the bacteria. And that's another one! PLASTIC PICKLE JARS make great filters. I use a large pump that used to be used for a small in ground pond and used a 2 1/2 inch piece of garden hose to stick into the intake of the pump then a hole in the side of the jar and I filled it up full of all different media. Left over filter media from my aqua clears, filter socks, and pot scrubbers. Then I drilled a bunch of holes in the lid of the jar and it makes for a fantastic filter!

Jack B Nimble

NYFishGuy said:
1 gallon milk containers, when cut as pictured its very sturdy when using the handle.

Top use: Cleaning sponges!
I found myself cleaning sponges in the water drained into a 5 gallon bucket couldn't get all the gunk out because the whole volume of water was instantly contaminated.
Now I use the milk jug scoop out .5 gallon (fits into 5 gallon bucket easily) squeeze sponge in there, dump into another 5 gallon bucket and repeat.

Other: Fish moving/ acclimation ect, small water transfer
Net /wet stuff storage

Maybe: small fish breeding rack tanks?

sponge-cleaning.jpg
Lol that's exactly how I cut the milk jug to hold my bio waterfall on my tank.

Nerium

I use an egg cup to put frozen peas in and splash hot water on them to thaw them for the goldfish .... actually an egg cup is my go to for all fish food operations like that, hahah. Rarely get used for eggs!

Long reptile feeding tongs! I got them to feed some axolotls that I rehomed on to a friend and forgot to give them to her - now I find them great for all those tank-reaching situations where you don't wanna get your whole arm wet.

I'm another dog towel and plastic dish scrub user haha. Also for buckets, these flexible ones?

Originally used to use them as feed bowls for horses but can't recommend them more highly for water changes as you can hold both handles in one hand to carry and this closes the bucket a bit for less splashing, they're gentle on your legs to walk with,and they naturally form into a pouring spout to tip into the tank or wherever else.

Now I wanna know if anyone has any crafty items they use to clean the inside of the little test tubes for the API liquid water test kit!

Frisbee

Guanchy said:

IMG_4439.jpeg

Straws! lol use it in all my tanks, I use them as feeding rings and also my bettas love building bubbles nest in it.
Great idea, unless your in California, then you would be a criminal if you did that.

P.S. yea, my grandma has an operation, she smuggles them across the border, don't tell anyone.

Michael.j.gomez

Hello, I use a rubber baby's nasal bulb(say that 3×fast)for water tests & one to feed cory fry in breeding net(I desolve shrimp pellet in tank water). Hope this helps!
20190225_165922.jpg

20190225_170024.jpg

Fishcat

If you are careful when buying your turkey baster, it comes with a little brush that is perfect for scrubbing test tubes.

Triggerman

My Bunn coffee maker I use it to warm up my water for water changes

Donnerjay

A shot glass. Use it with a "shot" of tank water to thaw small pieces of frozen brine shrimp (or other frozen fish foods) so you don't use an entire cube when not necessary.

mattgirl

I use the wand off a minI blind for holding down Elberts zucchinI and for putting freeze dried blood worms in a piece of netting wrapped around the end of it to feed my assassin snails. Corys love it too so the assassins have hurry as fast as a snail can hurry to get their share. For those that don't know...that is Elbert over there in my avatar

bitseriously

Nerium said:
Now I wanna know if anyone has any crafty items they use to clean the inside of the little test tubes for the API liquid water test kit!
Running water, air dry.
Imagine there is, say, nitrate in your tap water, at (let’s go relatively high) 40 ppm. That nitrate could contaminate your next sample in that vial, but at literally 100ths of the concentration of what you’re measuring. So 20ppm in your next test might be 20.25ppm due to the contamination. Negligible and irrelevant, IMO.

mattgirl said:
I use the wand off a minI blind for holding down Elberts zucchinI and for putting freeze dried blood worms in a piece of netting wrapped around the end of it to feed my assassin snails. Corys love it too so the assassins have hurry as fast as a snail can hurry to get their share. For those that don't know...that is Elbert over there in my avatar
TWO great tips here. I like that the rod is long enough to place and retrieve without getting into tank, and the net idea is great also! Can you shaper pics next time?

I’m deviating somewhat from my original question, but I mince/mash a single frozen uncooked shrimp from the grocery, and distribute into portions in ice cube tray, then bag the frozen cubes for extended storage/use.

mattgirl

bitseriously said:
TWO great tips here. I like that the rod is long enough to place and retrieve without getting into tank, and the net idea is great also! Can you shaper pics next time?
Thank you. I will see if I can get my camera to work but it is attached to a very old flip phone and I've not figured out how to get the photos from phone to computer

I just cut a piece of netting with fairly large holes in a circle about 4 inches across. When it's time to bait it I get it wet with some tank water. I sprinkle the blood worms in the center of it and drop on a bit more water to get the worms to stick to the net. Place the end of the wand in the middle, pull the sides up and wrap a rubber band around it to hold it in place. The snails and corys are able to pull the worms through the holes.

Top Bottom