What's Your Most Useful Non-aquarium Tool (for Aquarium Use)? - Page 3

goldface

Dish soap for cleaning. It worked great for cleaning the oily residue off my Black Diamond Blasting Sand. Years ago, I used it to clean old aquariums as well.

H2O Concierge

I use a small silicone ice cube tray to make my own frozen treats.
IMG_7549.JPG

LizP

A good point and thank you, though that's not what I'm actually trying to clean - I have a bad habit of walking away and forgetting the tests for a while and after years of use I have a number of tubes with colored residue from the test chemicals inside ... a very small pipe cleaner gets most of it but not the very end and it bugs me!! II' prolly gonna try something like a bit of sponge stuck on something but I just wondered if someone had found, I dunno, a baby's nose cleaning gidget or obscure cooking utensil #325 that just happened to be perfect for the job
So then what do you think should be used to clean out the test tubes? I thought they just said to rinse with water real good. I'm having a horrible time with my tanks Nitrate now. Every thing else is great.

Ohio Mark

So then what do you think should be used to clean out the test tubes? I thought they just said to rinse with water real good. I'm having a horrible time with my tanks Nitrate now. Every thing else is great.

I sometimes soak tubes in denture cleaner to help remove grime/ slime. Just rinse well afterwards!

LizP

I found an assorted sizes of bottle brushes at Freight Harbour. Use distilled water to rinse tubes. Sorry for the size of the picture.
Have you ever tried these cleaning brushes on Amazon for your long tube when you siphon water out? Mines getting cruddy lol

image_15279.jpg

9 Pc Tube/Pipe Nylon Brush Set

Item#90631

H2O Concierge

Item#90631
from Harbour Frieght have helped me with various needs

For the tubing on my canisters I use

Eheim tube brush.jpg I use something like this on my canister tubing. Now the python tubing is much longer. As a preventative measure I always try to drain as much water from the tubing as possible. I have used very hot water to fill and soak the tube. Then after some time flushed it with hot water. I use one Python to fill and another to clean (water change) my tanks. The one that is used for WC you can clean with an algaecide or even diluted bleach and rinse. If you are not using this waste water for cleaning your filters or decor I guess it wouldn't matter what you choose to clean it with since only the syphon tube end is the only thing contacting the water. Hope this helps.

This has probably been asked before...Have you tested your tap water. I too am constantly battling N3.

Dish soap for cleaning. It worked great for cleaning the oily residue off my Black Diamond Blasting Sand. Years ago, I used it to clean old aquariums as well.
I have a question. If you just started then how do you have 6000 ratings and Messages?????

LizP

This has probably been asked before...Have you tested your tap water. I too am constantly battling N3.
I have well water with the softening system. I will have to recheck it again, I don't remember what it was. I have been doing water changes with water that I let sit over night.

LizP

Item#90631
from Harbour Frieght have helped me with various needs

For the tubing on my canisters I use

Eheim tube brush.jpg I use something like this on my canister tubing. Now the python tubing is much longer. As a preventative measure I always try to drain as much water from the tubing as possible. I have used very hot water to fill and soak the tube. Then after some time flushed it with hot water. I use one Python to fill and another to clean (water change) my tanks. The one that is used for WC you can clean with an algaecide or even diluted bleach and rinse. If you are not using this waste water for cleaning your filters or decor I guess it wouldn't matter what you choose to clean it with since only the syphon tube end is the only thing contacting the water. Hope this helps.

I have a question. If you just started then how do you have 6000 ratings and Messages?????
Who are you asking this?

H2O Concierge

I was kidding oops
Dawn is gentle and they use it to remove oil from birds who get in contact with oil spills. Soap on nothing in a fish tank of course, but I guess you could put a duckling in it after it was thoroughly cleaned. But your fish wouldn't last long.

kallililly1973

Turkey baster, skewers, plastic mesh pot scrubbers for BB to cling to in my canister filters, potato chip bag clips to hold the pet store bag when acclimating new inhabitants, hard plastic soap dispensers for plant fertilizer, poly fill for all my filters instead of charcoal or filter cartridges, used gift cards for cleaning algae off the glass... I’m sure the list goes on and on... need to find ways to save a buck here n there... one last thing cinderblocks for fish tank stands

H2O Concierge

Who are you asking this?
To Nerium or anyone who needs small/medium brushes to clean things like test tubes and hoses.

Kjeldsen

Plastic clothes hanger with alligator clip. Keeps hands dry and prevents veggie theft.

hoarders.jpg

gatorClip.jpg

DarkOne

I just ordered a pack of 16 dessert forks for $6 off amazon for holding down veggies. I've been using lead weights for plants but some are starting to break in half after constant bending.

angelcraze

I was kidding oops
Yeah, I heard a drop of Dawn works for rinsing sand. I just emphasize the 'drop' part. And some good rinsing afterward.

Jack B Nimble

I use a small silicone ice cube tray to make my own frozen treats.
IMG_7549.JPG
Did that in past and drunk friends used for rye and coke.

bruno hanham

turkey baster for feeding and removing stuff

GeorgeDaGreat

Its got to be the toothbrush

aae0130

These.....

image.jpg

trahana

Tupperware containers! Perfect for temp holding fish when you need to do some deep cleaning.
Plastic mesh for aquarium dividers too.
Clear corrugated roofing or plexiglass/acrylic for DIY tank top

bitseriously

I have a cat that chews things. Yes, like a dog. No she's not the tool/tip I'm writing about.
One time she chewed up a dry sponge from one of those dual sponge filters, while it was on the basement table. Kind of like when sharks chew surfers, I think. "Hmm, this might be food, but I'll never know for sure unless I try a bite".
Anyways, I ended up with some spare sponge filter parts.

IMG_4093.JPG
Turns out the perforated tube that goes inside the sponge is a perfect fit on the 1/4" i.d. tubing that I use for pumping water from bucket back to tank, which turns it into an ideal sort of flow disperser. The end of the black part is solid, so all the water has to come out the side holes. No substrate churning.

IMG_4091.JPG
IMG_4090.JPG
I am also able to use this setup when draining the tank, since the tank is 6' away from the sink (gravity feed straight to sink). So the cap on the hose prevents livestock from getting in as well.

bitseriously

Who are you asking this?

Pretty sure H2O Concierge was asking scarface, whose icon/avatar/info thingy says this:

upload_2019-3-15_7-15-58.png
So, scarface, how DO you get 6K posts and have just started?
[answer is that the site pulls that line of info from user-entered profile details]

MomeWrath

Pretty sure H2O Concierge was asking scarface, whose icon/avatar/info thingy says this:

[answer is that the site pulls that line of info from user-entered profile details]
Awww. I bet that's not even his real picture! XD

BRP

I am also able to use this setup when draining the tank, since the tank is 6' away from the sink (gravity feed straight to sink). So the cap on the hose prevents livestock from getting in as well.

Ah, I use the intake from an external filter on my hose, with the same effect.
It is for aquarium use though, it doesn't fit in this topic - but I thought others might benefit.

bitseriously

Ah, I use the intake from an external filter on my hose, with the same effect.
It is for aquarium use though, it doesn't fit in this topic - but I thought others might benefit.
I think re-purposing aquarium things for different aquarium uses is fair game.

richiep

A darn good mouth wash for when you miss time sucking water through your siphon tube,
15526673163543269089934477251085.jpg

Ronniethewitch

A darn good mouth wash for when you miss time sucking water through your siphon tube,
15526673163543269089934477251085.jpg

!!!!?????!!! I never suck it out! ewww that's just gross. I just immerse the hose in water until there is no air left in it. Then cover the ends with my thumb until one end is in the tank and the other in the bucket and move my thumbs...gravity suction takes care of the rest.

goldface

I have wasted my life. And no, that's not really me in the profile pic. You guys got me.

Addie42

IMG_4791.JPG water change supervisor

Triggerman

it's got to be my 16-inch paint stir I hook a rubber band to Nat and I can reach all the way down into my two foot tank

Attachments

• 20190315_145437.jpg
    20190315_145437.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 136

Robmtl

Digital meat thermometer helps keep water temp exactly the same for water changes.

Large syringe for spot feeding

Robinn

(Listed in order of favoritism)

1. Tiny 1mL syringes (May end up getting some 5mL too)
Great for adding chemicals and putting water into test tubes.

2. ~4 cup cheapo plastic containers. I use these for a lot, such as, when I'm removing stuff from my tank, I can just quick drop it in so I don't get water everywhere. That's just one of my uses tho lol

3. Standard washcloth. I just fold it in half and sit it in front of my tank so whenever I have to dry something (hands, syringe, test tubes, etc.) it's right there. Also can be nice for leaky test tube shaking.

Ohio Mark

Last evening I discovered that a spatula (pilfered from the kitchen drawer) makes a perfect took for removing eco-complete substrate from a tank so sand could be but in instead. Just make sure you get all the little pieces out of the grooves in the spatula. I didn't. Now the spatula is mine and "but new spatula" has been added to my "things to do" list.

Robmtl

Just thought of something else I used when I had shrimp old IV tubing for acclimatizing inverts or fragile fish. I could control the speed of drip really well

SunlitWindow

Plastic clothes hanger with alligator clip. Keeps hands dry and prevents veggie theft.

hoarders.jpg

gatorClip.jpg
Your remark about veggie theft makes me picture a little fish scooting away dragging a cucumber slice with a hanger still clipped to it and trailing behind.

Jellibeen

I started using a fine mesh strainer (like for draining pasta) to filter out my old tank water. I dump old walk down the toilet, and this catches any gravel or large bits of gunk from getting into my pipes.

Ravynn

IMG_4091.JPG
IMG_4090.JPG

Where did you get the blue clamp for your tubing? Will need something like this for my new water change system.

angelcraze

Where did you get the blue clamp for your tubing? Will need something like this for my new water change system.
I got mine on Amazon I think.

DarkOne

I use this to hang the hose to fill my tanks. Each elbow is about 50¢ at Lowes.

2018-10-16 16.30.51.jpg

angelcraze

I use this to hang the hose to fill my tanks. Each elbow is about 50¢ at Lowes.

2018-10-16 16.30.51.jpg
The 'T' is a good addition to prevent the waterflow from dumping straight down.

DarkOne

The 'T' is a good addition to prevent the waterflow from dumping straight down.
I had an elbow at first but it was still a bit strong so I added a T. I'm now using 3/4" ID tubing and got 3/4" elbows and T's.

bitseriously

Big Als. In their Python section.

ystrout

* 5 gallon buckets and wooden spoons to stir the Prime around.
* Pool Filter Sand since it's such beautiful substrate and is so cheap
* Syringes to measure Prime and other SeaChem Products since that stuff is so concentrated

Robinn

Oh, one more thing to add (my post won't let me edit it )

I use the cap of my test tube (two of mine have the top so sloped they leak a looooot) to keep the lid lifted just enough for me to reach in with my syringe. It's a lot easier than having to hold it open, especially with a light in the way. Here's a pic!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 135

Robmtl

Something I just thought of today

IMG_0276.JPG

Test tube drying rack some cardboard and toothpicks

ETNsilverstar

Meat thermometer, turkey baster, canning jars, medical syringes, medicine droppers, a bowl...I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, but that's all off the top of my head.

bitseriously

Something I just thought of today

IMG_0276.JPG

Test tube drying rack some cardboard and toothpicks
That is so basic, and so awesome. I've been planning on drilling a piece of 2x6 as a test tube stand/holder, but I love the idea of incorporating a drying rack!

DarkOne

That is so basic, and so awesome. I've been planning on drilling a piece of 2x6 as a test tube stand/holder, but I love the idea of incorporating a drying rack!

2018-01-30 15.36.14.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Steelcrystal
Replies
Views
Jaysee
Replies
Views
Cichlidude
Replies