What's Your Most Useful Non-aquarium Tool (for Aquarium Use)?

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What's the most useful tool you use in your day to day (or weeks or months) aquarium-ing that's not an aquarium tool or equipment?
Could be for home hobbyist, casual or professional breeders, fresh or salt.
Not really asking about diy solutions, although those are welcome, but more things you get off the shelf, from the non-aquarium part of your shopping routine.

For me, it's this thing:
BDFEFFEF-997E-4B44-B86C-319E18D742A8.jpeg
Reusable Keurig-style coffee pod. I previously raised some ADF from eggs, and am currently working on Amano shrimp breeding, all as a wee basement project. This filters are great for straining tiny larvae out of cups, jars, water changes, etc, without using a net, and are super gentle on them.

Also 2-3 litre jars from Ikea, in a water bath, for multiple small tanks.
6DC230F2-A8C7-4E3D-B7B5-7C8F00EA94A6.jpeg

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ooooh! I don't have a good one right now....but I am definitely going to enjoy reading the replies! Great thread idea! :)

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A turkey baster!! Works so well for cleaning up my bare bottom quarantine tank, and for blasting dirt out of difficult places! Oh and for spot feeding and feeding frozen food!! I love the Keurig coffee pod idea I will definitely keep that in mind!!

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Smalltownfishfriend said:
A turkey baster!! Works so well for cleaning up my bare bottom quarantine tank, and for blasting dirt out of difficult places! Oh and for spot feeding and feeding frozen food!! I love the Keurig coffee pod idea I will definitely keep that in mind!!
Oh yes!! And larger medicine droppers work really well for that too! I love mine. I use it so much its in need of replacement actually! haha

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Smalltownfishfriend said:
Good call! I do love the dirt blasting function.

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A garden hose.

Samanthaljay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
turkey baster for sure. i use it almost daily. helps me spot clean up in my tanks especially since I have some picky fish and keep trying out different sinking type foods. whatever they dont eat I can just suck it back out lol

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Toothbrush!!!

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would have to say it's a toothbrush, turkey baster, mesh sieve, or a colander.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Watering can for smaller tanks.

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My husband. Because I do not lift things. lol

Seriously though, I couldn't do this without his help.

Other than that... TANK TOWELS!!! My mom got her feelings hurt because she gave me these nice towels for my kitchen and I put them in the aquarium cabinet. I had to explain to her the honor of that place.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Can you guys elaborate a bit?
jjohnwm said:
Is this for refilling from water changes? Just the hose, or do you use noozles?

Fanatic said:
I would have to say it's a toothbrush, turkey baster, mesh sieve, or a colander.
Colander in the tank, or in the sink?

scarface said:
Watering can for smaller tanks.
For refilling?

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've used those day-by-day pill dispensers that are labelled Mon, Tues etc for measuring out fish food when we're on vacation. Then whoever is feeding the tanks doesn't have to guess how much or what kind of food to put in each day.

I agree on the toothbrush, and also a straw cleaner or the long skinny brush that comes inside some turkey basters. These are great tools for cleaning inside the filter intake and various tubes/pipes.

I keep thinking of more things every time I hit "post reply" lol.
I have a couple One Gallon juice jugs that I use for water changes on the smaller tanks. No measuring required

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Probably terricotta pots, they are so nice and easy just to whip out to put in QT’s when something either goes wary or you end up buying a few endlers that you weren’t planning on... they are also very nice for when filling tanks up for the first time. If you pour the water into the pot rather than straight onto the substrate it doesn’t stir up the substrate, thus causing less cloudiness. Makes things so much easier and nicer.

The tubberware tubs are also great, get the big ones and you can use them for QT, get the small ones and you can use them for acclimation.

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bitseriously said:
Can you guys elaborate a bit? Is this for refilling from water changes? Just the hose, or do you use noozles?
I have a "noozle" on the one hose which is used for filling the containers in which I keep pre-warmed water ready for water changes. Another noozle-less hose is used for siphoning water out of the various tanks. I rarely carry a bucket.

I agree with Platylover, clay pots are multi-functional and invaluable. They were once easily found and very inexpensive; not so much today, to the point where I will no longer break them up into caves and retreats the way I used to do.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I use one of those kids small ml plastic syringe. Works well for getting frozen food and for slurping up prime out of the bottle instead of useing a cap.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
5 gal buckets! .

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Chopsticks for adjusting plants and target feeding individual fish.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Skewer sticks for poking the substrate. Chopstick tips for picking fungussed eggs out from viable ones. The eggs or fungus stick to the wood.

Addie42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a rice steamer as a lid for a tank - does that count?? Lol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads