Stocking options for 10 gallons

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Chocolate gouramis get enormous... Unless you're thinking of a different species than I am. Last I read their max size was 6", minimum tank size 20 gal. long.

Chili rasboras could be added to the list, they are only a tiny bit bigger than dwarf rasboras, as could all species of microrasbora (that I know of)

There is no species of hatchetfish suitable to a ten gallon tank because of the school numbers and overall size. They are also really active. Even for pygmy hatchets, a 20 gallon long is the minimum tank size recommended.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Chocolate gouramis get enormous... Unless you're thinking of a different species than I am. Last I read their max size was 6", minimum tank size 20 gal. long.
I'm thinking of a different species. Sphaerichthys osphromenoides. They get 2 inches. I have seen them on lists of this being their min tank size......
Chili rasboras could be added to the list, they are only a tiny bit bigger than dwarf rasboras, as could all species of microrasbora (that I know of)
Thanks!
There is no species of hatchetfish suitable to a ten gallon tank because of the school numbers and overall size. They are also really active. Even for pygmy hatchets, a 20 gallon long is the minimum tank size recommended.
I know, which is why they aren't on the real list.

Last edited:

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is a great list, but it needs to be taken into consideration with number (amount) and compatibility. This list doesn't give license to stock a 10gal with a betta and 20 sparkling gouramis.
I realize that, but that's not exactly the purpose of it. I'll add that when I have time.

MichaelM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I feel like there should be one of these for a 5 gallon as well. Also thai micro crabs. And possibly certain shell dweller species and asian stone catfish.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just wondering why you have Glowlights on the list and no other Hemigrammus... or Neons...

Personally I wouldn't keep anything in 10g that grew more than an inch.
I have neons and cardinals on the questionable list. The other Hemigrammus like rummynose and Red base tetras get 2 inches or more... and the max? size for glowlights is 1.6 inches.
Edit: I have removed glowlights and have researched the other Hemigrammus.

Last edited:

Witchydesign

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Couple more (been doing nano fish research lately lol)

Micropoecilia picta (swamp guppy), dwarf pencilfish, neon blue rasbora -Sundadanio axelrodi (although I think that could be under the same as drawf rasbora even if it is closer in family to a danio...) Any of the Danionella's (species only though, and the d.dracula type need lots of plants since the males have barbs/fangs and need room to flee after sparring), and last if you can even manage to find it- Paedocypris progenetica (smallest fish in the world, maxes at 7.7mm! id go species only lol)

Witchydesign

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The danioellas are technically small enough even to be in a five but not the d.draculas, the males spar and need more space to escape. but ten would be best. they are the second smallest fish in the world. something like 8mm.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bump. I have added a ton of stuff, but I'm not close to done yet.
Anyone have any suggestions, it'd be appreciated. And let me know if there's anything that should be removed from the list.
I have taken off the glowlights, and some other things too.
Here's what I'm going by:
Schooling fish that are 1 inch or less. Anything above 2.8 cm will not be added. Non-schooling fish that aren't active and are 2 inches or less I'm adding.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One fiddler crab can be kept in a 10g (BUT they are social and would be happier with multiple and in that case need a 20L min.) I didn't see them, but they could go on the questionable list.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
All right, so I've found two small plecos that are very tiny.
What are your opinions on them? Would they work in a 10g?
Nannoplecostomus eleonorae at 0.78 inches and Ancistrus salgadae at 0.87 inches. @Coradee @ your opinions?

Last edited:

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All right, so I've found two small plecos that are very tiny.
What are your opinions on them? Would they work in a 10g?
Nannoplecostomus eleonorae at 0.87 inches and Ancistrus salgadae at 0.78 inches. Coradee hampalong your opinions?
The sizes are the other way round according to FishBase, but they're Standard Lengths, so don't include the tail. And they're not maximum sizes, but the sizes of the specimen/s that are known. Without a picture on FishBase, you're unlikely to find them for sale...

I still wouldn't keep fish over an inch in 10g US, and even then they would need to be very inactive fish...

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Arent most plecos inactive fish to begin with? All I see them really do is slouch around on the tank floor most of the time..

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Other way round? Oops.....
Yeah, I figured that they would be from the specimens that are known..... I would bet the Ancistrus gets bigger than 2 cm.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom