Stocking Ideas for my 55 gallon tank.

BristlenoseCatfish

Good Morning
I have recently been given a 55 gallon/260 litre tank (dimensions in cm122L 46H 46W) and was wondering if anyone could help me with these stocking ideas:
I have purchased these parts for the tank.
300 Watt heater
Filter: Fluval C4
Substrate: Separared Sand and Gravel
and also it will be heavily planted,with many rocks and hopefully a cave.
So far I have these fish which will be added to the tank. (I already have them in a smaller tank)
3X BR plecos
7X zebra dainos
1X blue gourami
I was wondering if the following fish would work with them:
+1 Blue gourami(female)
2X Pearl Gourami
5X Bronze Corys
3X kuhli loach
2x German blue ram.
3x fancy guppies
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ghelfaire

The first one would work just fine. You can also bump the danios to 10.

The issue with the second one would be the German blue rams, they need hot water compared to everything else. If you switched them for Bolivian rams you could try it. It also seems like a lot of bottom dwellers. I would stick with either the corydoras or the loaches and just get a few more of them.

BristlenoseCatfish

The issue with the second one would be the German blue rams, they need hot water compared to everything else. If you switched them for Bolivian rams you could try it. It also seems like a lot of bottom dwellers. I would stick with either the corydoras or the loaches and just get a few more of them.
Ghelfaire
Ok Great, So stocking as follows would work fine?

3X BR plecos
10X zebra danios
4X blue gourami
4X kuhli loach
2x Bolivian rams.
3x fancy guppies

jinjerJOSH22

1X blue gourami
I was wondering if the following fish would work with them:
+1 Blue gourami(female)
Hi, it somewhat depends on the species of Gourami, if it is a Dwarf Gourami(Trichogaster lalius) then it's better to keep them on their own. If it is the Blue Three Spot Gourami(Trichopodus trichopterus) then I would keep more than just a pair. Often when kept as a pair the male(or dominant female) can be too much for the other Gourami. These are social fish so keeping a group of 4 plus is best for them.
In my experience mixing Gourami is usually fine depending on species(looking at you Dwarf gourami, not good with others). Keeping a group of each species is usually the best way to do this. However in my experience you will get the best out of Pearls keeping them without the company of Three Spots who are more boisterous than the typical Pearl.

BristlenoseCatfish

Hi, it somewhat depends on the species of Gourami, if it is a Dwarf Gourami(Trichogaster lalius) then it's better to keep them on their own. If it is the Blue Three Spot Gourami(Trichopodus trichopterus) then I would keep more than just a pair. Often when kept as a pair the male(or dominant female) can be too much for the other Gourami. These are social fish so keeping a group of 4 plus is best for them.
In my experience mixing Gourami is usually fine depending on species(looking at you Dwarf gourami, not good with others). Keeping a group of each species is usually the best way to do this. However in my experience you will get the best out of Pearls keeping them without the company of Three Spots who are more boisterous than the typical Pearl.
I currently have 1 three spot male, so I will remove the pearl gourami's from my list and instead get 3 more females. Would honey gourami's be able to put up with the three spots being boisterous?

jinjerJOSH22

I currently have 1 three spot male, so I will remove the pearl gourami's from my list and instead get 3 more females. Would honey gourami's be able to put up with the three spots being boisterous?
First part sounds good but I wouldn't recommend keeping Honeys with anything generally bigger than them(themselves that is). Three Spots are best of as the only Gourami species in the tank apart from maybe Snakeskins.

BristlenoseCatfish

First part sounds good but I wouldn't recommend keeping Honeys with anything generally bigger than them(themselves that is). Three Spots are best of as the only Gourami species in the tank apart from maybe Snakeskins.
Ok, I think I will just keep the 4 three spot gourami, thank you so much for your help. I Can't wait to get it set up!

jinjerJOSH22

Ok, I think I will just keep the 4 three spot gourami, thank you so much for your help. I Can't wait to get it set up!
I hope you post pictures when you are ready!

Ghelfaire

That was my mistake, I thought those were 2 separate fish lists not the entire stocking for the tank.

BristlenoseCatfish

How many Bolivian rams should I keep? (how many can I fit.) Would there be space for a school of small tetras? (Using this list 3X BR plecos,10X zebra danios, 4X blue gourami, 4X kuhli loach, 2x Bolivian rams. ,3x fancy guppies)

Ghelfaire

I would just start adding the fish on your list to the tank (slowly and after it's ready of course) and see how you like it. If you're not happy then change the stocking.
Also I'm not 100% but wouldn't gourami attack guppies? I know bettas are likely to and bettas and gourami are related.

jinjerJOSH22

Was kind of focused on the Gourami but my Three Spots killed every Guppy I tried to keep with them.

BristlenoseCatfish

I would just start adding the fish on your list to the tank (slowly and after it's ready of course) and see how you like it. If you're not happy then change the stocking.
Also I'm not 100% but wouldn't gourami attack guppies? I know bettas are likely to and bettas and gourami are related.
Was kind of focused on the Gourami but my Three Spots killed every Guppy I tried to keep with them.
Yeah maybe I'll swap out the Guppies for rummy nose tetra?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BristlenoseCatfish
Replies
Views
goplecos
Replies
Views
Anders247
Replies
Views