Ode to Avatar - My first attempt at aquascaping

Dadio
Figured it would be better to show an infographic. Enjoy, comments, and yes, suggestions welcomed.

Attachments

• Dadio Avatar Aquascape.jpg
    Dadio Avatar Aquascape.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 2,159
Tim345
That tank looks amazing

Coradee
Your tank is stunning!!

Dadio
Thank you for the compliments

Dadio
Could a neon blue goby work in this tank? There's rock caves and algae is not a problem for feeding. Currently there are candy cane tetras, neon tetras, variety of shrimp, Mexican dwarf crayfish and 2 Chinese hillstream loaches (Hansel & Gretel) kinda like on speed these two. Really adds to the whole ambience of the avatar fantasy idea . Want to add something that can give it that colorful flair of fantasy and been reading a lot on this goby. Thanks in advance.

Dadio
Well, couldn't wait so got one Neon blue Goby today he or she looks quite happy so far with his /her food supply in my Avatar tank. Even the shrimp that shouldn't seems quite well. He's moulted twice so far.

Forgot to mention, added the new test backdrop and some of the moss I got it to flow over to one of the floating rocks so more and more it takes shape.

Dadio
I saw that one too. I tried the waterfall thing but got frustrated and settled for caves lol. Left side would have been a waterfall, thus the stream setting without the waterfall. Turned out ok and the community likes it well. I've seen some awesome aquascapes which gave me a variety of views then just dug in so to speak.

Mims
Both of those Avatar themed tanks are incredible!! Very nicely done!

Dadio
Thank you very much. Never thought it would end up as it is now, but then that's the joy of aquascaping is it's alive and always evolving. Every time you look you know that it is nature's way of showing you just how powerful she can be. Us pesky humans can be either her companion or disease.

Dadio
I'm thinking of adding a pair of Golden Dwarf Rams to add a sunset pop of colour. Opinions?

Currently this tank is setup as this

"Ode to Avatar"
Hardware: 55G, DIY Co2, Current LED Plus, Aquatop 5-Stage UV Canister, ADA Style Glass Lily Pipes & Skimmer, Chihiros Doctor Sterilizer/Growth Ionizer, Aqueon 200W Submersible Heater

Foliage: Baby Tears, Bladderwort, Dwarf Hairgrass, Dwarf Sagittaria, Hellfire, Java Moss, Micro Sword, Wisteria

Community:
The Swarm " 6 Candy Cane & 8 Neon Tetra, 7 Threadfin Rainbow " The Cleanup Crew " 2 Chinese Hillstream Loach, 2 Neon Blue Goby, 6 Amano, 6 Assassin Snail, 6 Cherry Red Shrimp, 1 Crystal Red & 1 Dwarf Mexican Crayfish "

The layout has ample rock cave hiding spaces. So as I look to the moving community scene, all is good but lacking for me something to just add that pop and am leaning towards a burst of sunshine such as the GDR.

Thanks in advance.

DoubleDutch
Then you'd see this

Dadio
Seen that tank, that's sorta the route I did but gave up on the falls. So ? is, what do you think about the addition of GRD's

DoubleDutch
Ahhh okay. No other fish in at the moment?

Dadio
"Ode to Avatar"
Hardware: 55G, Co2, Current LED Plus, Aquatop 5-Stage UV Canister, ADA Style Glass Lily Pipes & skimmer, Chihiros Doctor Sterilizer/Growth Ionizer, Aqueon 200W Submersible Heater

Foliage: Baby Tears, Bladderwort, Dwarf Hairgrass, Dwarf Sagittaria, Hellfire, java moss, Micro Sword, Wisteria

Community:
The Swarm " 6 Candy Cane & 8 neon tetra, 7 Threadfin Rainbow " The Cleanup Crew " 2 Chinese hillstream loach, 2 Neon Blue Goby, 6 Amano, 6 Assassin Snail, 6 Cherry Red Shrimp, 1 Crystal Red & 1 Dwarf Mexican Crayfish "

The layout has ample rock cave hiding spaces. So as I look to the moving community scene, all is good but lacking for me something to just add that pop and am leaning towards a burst of sunshine such as the GDR.

Dadio
March 10 Update to O2A Aquascape.

Just can't leave things alone

More tinkering with scape to get a better visual. Rearrange a few plants and added a little flair to the hanging islands. I also moved the forefront island to the back right of the major pillar in center. Not only did this give more current flow to the front of the tank but a little more light to the bottum of the tank bed as well. Little trimming & tying some of the java moss around tree as it was getting quite bushy so rather than trim I condensed it more around the tree. Most likely will never stop tinkering lol

All comments welcomed.

O2A-March102015.jpg

O2A-March102015-Island.jpg

DoubleDutch
Awesome well done. Only comment on adding a GDR could be neons have different temp. (Lower) needs than GDR's to my knowledge.

Dadio
Male & Female Neon Blue Goby (names anyone?) with a close visitor. Male Goby might be looking for a free ride again. Keep missing the camera shot. Twice he's got on the back of one of the Hillies which was so cool too see them glide together.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1426277821.945390.jpg

Hanging island is taking on great form.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1426277852.272686.jpg

waterlilykari
Gorgeous! I am so jealous, I must admit. I can't keep my 8 year old's hands out of our measly aquariums long enough to keep anything more than Anacharis and some Anubias alive. Looking forward to the updates!

Dadio
Thank you waterlilykarI It was my first ever undertaking of this sort ever. Pond build is one thing, this was a whole other level and I've enjoyed every step of it. I still tinker with it, adjust the flow of the space, look and feel. For me it's like a moving evolution of life in many ways. After tinkering with the hanging rocks I think I finally got it were I want it to be. The dangling roots are from minI roses that died off that I boiled for 2 hours with a little vinegar then microwaved for 2 minutes on high to make sure soil bacteria and any contaminates were nuked. This added more of an impact from the Avatar perspective, stil a little more tinkering to do there but over all I quite impressed myself which is not very easy to do if I say so myself...the perfectionist in me is hard to tame lol

Dennio
Please excuse my lack of knowledge but what are GDRs?

Dadio
Golden Dwarf Rams

waterlilykari
Thank you @ It was my first ever undertaking of this sort ever. Pond build is one thing, this was a whole other level and I've enjoyed every step of it. I still tinker with it, adjust the flow of the space, look and feel. For me it's like a moving evolution of life in many ways. After tinkering with the hanging rocks I think I finally got it were I want it to be. The dangling roots are from minI roses that died off that I boiled for 2 hours with a little vinegar then microwaved for 2 minutes on high to make sure soil bacteria and any contaminates were nuked. This added more of an impact from the Avatar perspective, stil a little more tinkering to do there but over all I quite impressed myself which is not very easy to do if I say so myself...the perfectionist in me is hard to tame lol

The fact that you didn't just resort the the National Geographic stalagmites/stalagtites that suction cup to the backs of tanks, tie some java moss on it and call it a day like most people would is incredible. I am very impressed with the ingenuity in creating some of the effects you've used.

Dadio
I tinkered all day again with it as I wasn't satisfied with the sterilizer placement, so I moved it and rearranged some plants...again

IMG_3810 (1024x384).jpg

IMG_3796.jpg

Vyvid
That's so cool. How do you do the floating things?

Dadio
That's so cool. How do you do the floating things?

Good ol fishing line The big one in the center is roughly 15 lbs and as you can see the fishline is holding fine.

Dadio
March 31st, 2015 Update

So after 3 months and lots of tinkering this project has become very rewarding on so many levels. You'll see I've initiated a thread on LED lighting for not just plant growth, but happier inhabitants and so much more. Here is the latest look exactly 3 months after the start of the build. I also want to say thanks to all that have commented and followed this exciting "out of the box" build. I've learned so much from being here at fishlore above what I already new. Wonderful people here and love seeing others build some wonderful scapes. Patience is key in all this, even if I run short of it at times.

Ode2Avatar-1st-Trimester.jpg

Thank you for all the votes, kind words and encouragement from all you folks. Never ever thought of this ending up as you see it now.

It is a pleasure to bring in my eyes a magical living world for all to see. A place where the imagination carries you away into timeless space. Thanks once again for the votes

Dadio
O2A April 1st, 2015

My DIY Co2 "Big Bertha" gets close to 6 weeks run time with no erratic Co2 and with the addition of my Co2 Reactor/Diffusion cavern stream I'm seeing much better response with the plants just after 2 days. The micro diffusion is so tiny that even though the stream is inducing Co2 the inhabitants are not showing any stress or Co2 afflictions.

BigBerthaDIYCo2.jpg

Blue Neon Goby enjoying the new cavern stream this morning. This has now been running 2 days and already seeing the inhabitants enjoying it and exploring. Co2 is turned off during the night mode.

O2A-DIY-Co2-Cavern-Stream-Goby.jpg

Ramses & NefertitI "Golden Dwarf Rams" frolicking about.

O2A-Golden-Dwarf-Ram-Couple.jpg

Ayushman Singh
You're the best

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Damien808
how'd you set up your co2? this tank is amazing

silverarrow123
hi, I'm new to forums but I am very interested in the avatar aquascape. I'm hoping to build the backround and floating mountains in my tank but I need help with figuring out the best way to do it. like what materials to use and how to do it. ive been doing a lot of research on this topic but can't find much.
thanks!

Solegeminy
Living and evolving art in that tank. WOW!!! The beauty of it is that as Dadio said, things still get moved, spaces change, flow changes its not the traditional build it ,set it up, and leave it for a year or two...this tank could essentially become a never ending project, through just minor modifications of plants and scape(if you're into that kind of project..lol)... AWESOME JOB I as well am pretty darn jealous!

@ Silverarrow123 You will prob appreciate this interview. It gives some clues from one of the forerunners in aquascaping world, if you pay attention to what you read, about floating island construction,placement in tank and plants on the floating island, The rest of it is majority patience, and a little ingenuity!

silverarrow123
thanks solegeminy. it was really helpful but I was wondering more about other ideas on how to secure them other then fishing line or suction cups because of my arowana and 3d background. wouldnt my aro swim into the fishing line since hes mostly at the top?

Dadio
Hey all. First off thank you greatly for the comments.

Hanging of rocks is touchy and there are a multitude of ways it can be done. High tensile fishing line, galvanized wire and plexI rods. Wouldn't use suction cups unless the rocks are fake, meaning lightweight. The centre rock of my setup is over 20 lbs and uses 100lb fishing line, if it broke I'd have a major mess on my hands. So just over a year now and all is good. I have a few fish, not as big as yours that are mid to top and never seen them do a twang off the lines, so doubt this would happen, if it did, the fish learns and most likely would avoid the area imo.

how'd you set up your co2? this tank is amazing

Thanky thanky Co2 is using the yeast/baking soda method. I used aluminum containers rather than plastic as the pressure thing for me was risky imo. These containers would require over 1000lbs psI and at that stage, the cap would be a projectile if it reached that amount of pressure.

silverarrow123
dadia thanks for the reply with more info on the hanging of the rock. Do you think I can use a foam to make the floating rocks since I do have bigger fish and if one bumps into a rock I don't want the fish to get any damage done to itself. also would plants grow on foam or would I need to make a pocket and put soil?

Dadio
dadia thanks for the reply with more info on the hanging of the rock. Do you think I can use a foam to make the floating rocks since I do have bigger fish and if one bumps into a rock I don't want the fish to get any damage done to itself. also would plants grow on foam or would I need to make a pocket and put soil?

Yes you could but would need to make it heavy enough to hang in the water space with out floating. I'd use waterfall foam and build it up around rocks to give it enough weight to be hung in the aquarium without floating. That would certainly be a lot safer, especially with the size of your stock. As for the plants, yes, make a pocket to hold enough plant substrate.

aliray
That tank is amazing and stunning. Good job. Alison

silverarrow123
Yes you could but would need to make it heavy enough to hang in the water space with out floating. I'd use waterfall foam and build it up around rocks to give it enough weight to be hung in the aquarium without floating. That would certainly be a lot safer, especially with the size of your stock. As for the plants, yes, make a pocket to hold enough plant substrate.

thanks. would I still need to use epoxy resin if decide to paint the rocks even if I use a aquarium safe paint? also do you have any suggestions what plants to use that would stay relatively short and bushy and that would eventuality start to spread down the rocks. ive done some research but haven't zeroed in on anything yet

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Darthmoli
Replies
Views
BVUBeavers
Replies
Views
JLAquatics
  • Question
Replies