Raising cory fry

Coradee

First off I have to say there are no hard & fast rules, this is just what works for me.

If the eggs are laid on plant leaves then just remove the leaf, if the eggs are on the glass there are several methods of removing them.
You can use a razor blade or credit card to carefully scrape the eggs off or rub a clump of moss gently over the eggs & they will stick to the moss so you can remove them.
I place the eggs in a food safe tub with some tank water & an airstone on a low flow setting & float it in the main tank to keep it warm & do small daily water changes with water from the parent tank.
Some people use a couple of drops of meth blue to help prevent fungus, I've found thanks to a tip from a cory expert, that Alder cones do a good job too, if you use Meth blue make sure all is removed before the fry hatch.

The eggs if fertile change colour from white to a creamy brown after about 24 hours, any that stay white or look fungusy should be removed, a turkey baster is ideal for that.
Depending on temperature, I usually have mine around 24C, the eggs should hatch in 3-5 days, once hatched don't feed for 3-4 days while the fry absorb their egg sac, after that you can begin feeding.
Microworms, black worms & baby brine shrimp are all excellent fry food, if you can't get any of those then a food such as HikarI First Bites or catfish pellets very finely crushed will be fine.
I use Oak leaves in my cory tanks & always add some to the fry tubs & tank as the fry can shelter under them & also feed on the insuforia they produce.

Keep the bottom of the tub or tank clean as fry are very susceptible to bacterial infections, I add a thin layer of sand to help & it's quite amazing how quickly you'll see the fry sifting through it to find food. Do daily water changes with water from the parent tank as the fry need feeding several times a day & the water can quickly become fouled.

If you've used a tub to hatch the eggs, once the fry are a little bigger & stronger a 10 gallon, with heater & sponge filter is a good size to move the fry to.
Use water from the parent tank to about 6" in depth, you can gradually increase the depth over the next week or so, again using mostly water from the parent tank & a small amount of new dechlorinated water.
Keep an eye on the water stats as the fry are sensitive to any changes in water quality, if everything remains good & with good food you'll have happy healthy fry.
Hope that's helped answer some questions.

Edit: a clever idea from Mattgirl how to make a hatchery for the eggs.

mattgirl said:
I built a DIY hatchery for my cory eggs. It is made out of a small "Move over butter" container. I punched tiny holes all around it about 1/2 inch from the top. I also punched 2 holes to attach suction cups.

The suction cups hold the hatchery in the corner of the parent tank and the tiny holes around the top edge keep a constant supply of fresh water running through it. Even though it is getting fresh water I still use my turkey baster to remove some water from it a couple of times a day to make sure the water stays fresh. As I am removing water fresh water runs right back into it.
A couple of videos of corys spawning
Corydoras spawning videos | Corydoras Forum | 455564

Aquarist

Thank you CoraDee! Great bookmark!

Ken

sabrina24

all this is helpful so thanks.
one question I have I have my cory fry in a 19ltr nano tank ive read that to much water can drown the fry is this true? how full should I have my 19ltr tank?

Coradee

Unless it's a really tall tank then they'll be fine getting to the surface.

azbev

Coradee, I've had 6 happy False JuliI Corycats (plus 1 DG, 7 Neon Tetra) in my 20-gallon cycled tank (with Annubias, some plastics, caves, air stone), w/Fluval-30 filter for about six months. Parameters are always good. I now see three Cory fry in this tank, to my total astonishment. I've done no special feeding, no drop in water temp, no food for the fry, yet there they are - 3 different ages, perhaps 2 to 4 weeks old. I probably have room in this tank for them to grow up, but it's pushing it. I do about 30% weekly water changes, but I am worried about being gone for a two-week period (in a few months). Coradee, you mentioned fry are susceptible to bacterial diseases. I am thinking of putting some National Geographic Herbal Relief for Bacterial and Fungal Diseases in the tank for a couple of days as a precaution. (I know to take out the carbon filter.) I've used it in the past, once when I had a platy with fin rot; I removed him; he did not survive, still I wanted some type of precaution in the tank for the remaining fish. I would very much appreciate your opinion on this Cory situation! I thought Corys were not "easy to breed". Ha. Maybe not so true. (I think my LFS will take them if you think the tank will be too crowded.)

Coradee

If they're in the main tank & doing well I'd leave them there. I wouldn't add any more of the meds either, it's really only when you're raising a lot of fry in a smaller tank that there's a higher risk of bacterial infections.
By the time you go away they'll be that much bigger & should be fine especially in the large tank, I've left fry for 10 days before & they've been ok.
Good luck with them, hope they continue to do well

azbev

Caradee, Thank you so much for your comments. I'm happy to hear they should do well, but one more question: aren't False JuliI Corycats difficult to breed? That is what I've heard - special feeding, lowering water temp, etc. and then special feed for the fry. That's why I was so surprised to see these little ones in the tank. Sooooo -- is it quite possible that I may expect more fry in the future? (Note: my Gourami leaves fry alone. )

azbev

Coradee, I am still curious to know if False JuliI Corycats are usually difficult to breed, Is it possible that water changes may indicate "spring runoff" to them - and time to spawn? Is it likely I will see more fry? (If so, I will be making frequent trips to my LFS as I do not know anyone locally with a fresh water tank who might want to adopt them.) Thank you in advance for taking time to address these issues.

Coradee

Sorry, I must've missed your question.
C.trilineatus are pretty easy to breed but in a community tank you won't get large numbers of survivors so I wouldn't worry about a population explosion.

azbev

Thank you, Coradee. The problem is the tank size: only 20 gallon, so I really do not have for any more. These three really pushed the limit, in my opinion. And now I may have four rather than three. (It is difficult to count them as they are rarely altogether, they all look the same, and when resting, the little ones "disappear" - all of which I'm sure you know well!) They sure grow fast!!

burnkat

Coradee, how big should baby corys be before I let them in the 150 gallon tank? With 8 glow fish, 7 adult corys, 1 clown loach, 5 guppies, 1 sword tail and about 10 dalmatian mollies. Tank has been established for a year now. Found ~18 baby corys in bottom of my fIlstar filter 2 weeks ago! They are doing great in a nursery in the big tank, growing a little everyday. I have experience with Molly fry (like everyone I guess) but never catfish. Thanks ahead of time for you help. I read the raising Cory fry thread also. I guess my main concern is when to let them in the big tank, so they don't get devoured.

old car Scott

I was totally not expecting it but I just found a Peppered Cory fry wandering around the bottom of my tank! Hopefully it'll be okay!

Amy0716

Great read what is meth blue can I get that in Australia?

Coradee

Meth blue is Methylene blue a very old but effective med for preventing fungus in eggs plus many other aquarium uses.
You should be able to get it in Australia, I would a pharmacy would be the best place to look.

Boingochick

LJC6780 said:
Ok good because I sucked up what I could! They seem to be doing well so far. I added a tiny bit of sand to the bottom of the food container. I've only had livebearer fry to this point so this is a new adventure! Lol
I have my first group of 3! I was caught by surprise when I saw the eggs, tried to save what I could now they're probably a week old. I have them in breeder net box but plan to move to a 5gal this week! fingers crossed!

pagoda

I have two Bronze Cory babies, about 10 weeks old, fully coloured like miniature versions of the parents and incredibly confident swimmers. They have stayed in the community aquarium from hatching and are both around the size of a Neon Tetra...absolutely awesome little fish and thriving beautifully

Latest threads

Top Bottom