Back In The Game... - Page 2

NightShade
DarkOne said:
I like Saltwater but not sure I want all Saltwater names for my fish. Maybe a few.

I think I'm gonna name my betta Biff. He's like a bully but not very good at it .

That's about as far as I got
HA! That's a great name!! Love it!! ❤

That came on the other week... hadn't seen any of the Back to the Future series in years... and I got to watch them all!

DarkOne said:
A little privacy please?

DSC_2988.JPG
LOL!! They are beautiful!!!

As far as cheap, white/light colored sand goes... pool filter sand is highly recommended over play sand. I haven't used it myself, but I thought I'd throw that out there for y'all! it's cleaner, meant to not cloud up (pool) water, and I believe it's graded better too (grain size)

DarkOne
I didn't think too many would get a BttF reference but I guess I was wrong .

No one in my area sells pool filter sand. After shaking the hornwort twice in 2 days to get the dust off and then cleaning the filter, the water is crystal clear. Still might take a few water changes before I get most of the fine dust particles.

Almost forgot to post this. One of my otos hanging out on a moss ball.

DSC_2929.JPG

vikingkirken
DarkOne said:
I didn't think too many would get a BttF reference but I guess I was wrong .

No one in my area sells pool filter sand. After shaking the hornwort twice in 2 days to get the dust off and then cleaning the filter, the water is crystal clear. Still might take a few water changes before I get most of the fine dust particles.
Pool supply stores and hardware stores... My local hardware store had it, but I had to ask, it was hidden away.

DarkOne
vikingkirken said:
Pool supply stores and hardware stores... My local hardware store had it, but I had to ask, it was hidden away.
I went to HD and Lowes since that's where everyone was picking it up. I was at Lowes for some other stuff and just picked up a bag of play sand that was also recommended. I would not recommend Quikrete Play Sand lol. I might stop by my local Ace hardware to see if they have any.

vikingkirken
Yeah, I couldn't find it at the big box stores either. And definitely ask if you go to a hardware store, it may be packed away since it's December!

DarkOne
Got some more goodies today. I started hatching some brine shrimp. I had to break out my spare (new) 100w heater to heat water to keep the **** at 81°F and spare (new) Fluval .5 air pump. I only had a 1 liter Evian bottle so I cut the bottom of that and drilled the cap with a 1/4" bit. Threaded an air line thru and put an air stone and pushed it close to the cap so it seals the air hose to the cap.

I also got my 80gph pump for the Marina breeder box. The extension pipe fits perfectly in the pump w/o any attachments. The lowest flow setting is still too much so I added some filter floss to the outlet and it slowed down just enough so it's not overflowing the center part. I added some java moss in case the wigglers want some privacy.

2017-12-14 15.13.43.jpg

The wigglers are still wiggling but I can see some are skipping a few mm now. I guess I'll move a few over to the breeder box tomorrow.

DSC_3061.JPG

I have BBS in less than 20hrs. Wigglers are still wiggling and they've been moved to another crater. I had to take out most of the hornwort as the parents were trying to fight their way thru it and getting stuck. Mama has a cloudy left eye so I did a 25% water change and added a bit more Stress Coat. I think the hornwort prevented good water circulation so another reason to take most of them out. I added a sponge filter on the left side of the tank too. The sponge filter is HikarI brand and came with a sampler pack of Micro Wafers, what I feed most of my fish daily.

I might do another 25% water change tonight. And move a few of the wigglers to the breeder box.

DarkOne
I moved a little less than half to the breeder box. While I was trying to move the java moss, I noticed a bunch of them attached to it like they're feeding on the leaves so I spread a few more branches on the bottom.

DSC_3092.jpg

Sacksteder kid
You moved a little less than half of what?

DarkOne
Less than half the group of fry. I'm guessing about 50-70 fry in the breeder box and about 100 fry left in the tank with the parents.

Sacksteder kid
That pic a couple of posts back is so cool with all the little fry. What are you planning to do with all of them?

DarkOne
Thanks. I have no idea yet. My plan so far is to let the ones I put in the breeder box grow out. I'll be surprised if more than 25 survive a month but I'm hoping all of them do. I don't think the ones with the parents will survive but I hope they do as well.

I'll probably keep a few and sell the rest to a LFS or on craigslist.

DarkOne
Looks like they're all swimming around and pecking at the HikarI First Bites. They didn't know what to do with BBS yet. This was in the morning.

DSC_3136.JPG

The parents have their hands full with just half the litter (?)

DSC_3140.JPG

Lots more activity this afternoon.

DSC_3151-2.jpg

And of course, there's a ham in every bunch

DSC_3151-3.jpg

DarkOne

DSC_3231-1.jpg

DSC_3237-1.jpg

DarkOne
MTS strikes again!

I don't think I needed the breeder box since the EBAs are really great parents and my cories (and plecos) don't go after the fry. So the problem is that I have way more fry than I expected to survive (not a bad thing). I just picked up a 20 gallon long from PetCo to give the fry more room to grow up. The cashier was nice enough to price match another LFS price on my word ($30). There was a sale on VersaTops earlier this week so I already ordered the top and it should be here next week.

I also picked up a 4 wire shelf rack. It's rated for 350lbs each shelf (1400lb total). I need to cut some plywood for the base for a bit more stability. I plan to put my 20 tall, 20 long and 10 gallon on it. Maybe get a 2nd 10 gallon for a QT.

DarkOne
Moved them into a 20 gallon tall.

DSC_3254.JPG

Freshly hatched baby brine shrimp

DSC_3238.JPG

DSC_3247.JPG

DSC_3249.JPG

DSC_3251.JPG

DarkOne
I moved everything from the 20 gallon tall to a new 20 gallon long and added an extra driftwood I had laying around.

2017-12-22 17.34.30.jpg

DarkOne
13 days old. Most of the little ones in the 20 gallon are catching up but there are a few runts that are really small.

DSC_3347.JPG

DSC_3335.JPG

DSC_3349.JPG

The little ones with the parents are doing great. They're all starting to explore the tank. I got a bit nervous when they got close to the filter intake but they're strong swimmers so no issues. The parents aren't as worried about the cories so they're chasing them away with less vigor.

DSC_3364.JPG

DSC_3366.JPG

Rythmyc
DarkOne said:
13 days old. Most of the little ones in the 20 gallon are catching up but there are a few runts that are really small.

DSC_3347.JPG

DSC_3335.JPG

DSC_3349.JPG

The little ones with the parents are doing great. They're all starting to explore the tank. I got a bit nervous when they got close to the filter intake but they're strong swimmers so no issues. The parents aren't as worried about the cories so they're chasing them away with less vigor.

DSC_3364.JPG

DSC_3366.JPG
I'm only used to Livebearers having fry, so to see parents caring for fry would be new to me. I might get myself a breeder and see how I do

DarkOne
Rythmyc said:
I'm only used to Livebearers having fry, so to see parents caring for fry would be new to me. I might get myself a breeder and see how I do
My only experience with breeding was with feeder guppies in a 10 gallon for my oscars years ago. I did have a breeding pair of oscars but they only laid eggs a few times and ate them each time.

My EBA pair seem to be great parents. They took turns watching the kiddos but now they're less paranoid about my cories and the fry can swim much better. I've heard some EBA females turn psychotic and turn on the male if he gets close to the fry.

I've had a sponge filter in my 40 gallon for about 2 weeks and put it in the fry tank but apparently its not cycled. I tested my fry tank (20g) last night and it had .25-.5 ammonia and 0 nitrites and nitrates. I did a 75% wc last night. I know it doesn't seem like a lot but I didn't want to take chances with the fry. Since it's Xmas day, all the stores are closed so I converted my breeder box into a HOB. I'm using a 80gph pump with foam covering the intake and filled the box with filter floss and media from my Fluval 306. Hopefully I can pick up an Aquaclear 50 tomorrow.

DarkOne
Here we go again...

YpokX3Y.jpg

DarkOne
So for anyone still following, I hate you guys!!!

I found a brand new 75 gallon on craigslist for $200. Oh, it comes with a brand new Fluval 406 and Fluval Fresh&Plant 2.0 LED 48" light. I have absolutely no place for it but I bought it anyways . It was about 1.5 hrs away but so worth it .

Seriously, I'm not buying any more tanks. No, really. Stop laughing.

DarkOne
I put together a DIY stand last night and painted it with Valspar Project Perfect black satin latex paint. I was a bit worried because the reviews on the paint were horrible on Valspar's site. That's what I get for reading them AFTER I buy the paint. Well, I checked this morning and the reviewers are all wrong and the paint is drying nicely. I'll put another coat tomorrow and then let it fully cure for 4-5 days.

2018-01-19 22.26.10.jpg

cadd
Nice! 3ft long tank? Overkill stand, don't you think?! LOL. You even have a center brace! That stand will easily hold over 1,000 lbs without blinking an eye.

DarkOne
cadd said:
Nice! 3ft long tank? Overkill stand, don't you think?! LOL. You even have a center brace! That stand will easily hold over 1,000 lbs without blinking an eye.
75g so 4' tank (48" x 18"). Everything I've read said you don't need a center support for 4' or under but a brace isn't a bad idea so I added one. You should see some 75 gallon DIY stands I came across. Crazy overbuilt monsters that probably weigh more than the full tank it's holding.

My pup was getting a little stir crazy being inside with all this cold weather so I decided to take him to the park this afternoon and search for some rocks for my new tank while we were out. Found a super secret place (not really) and picked up 4 pieces of driftwood and about 10 pieces of rock. I also picked up a few extra 5 gallon buckets at Lowe's. I like the white ones for water changes so I can see if I sucked up any little critters (fry) or other stuff during a water change. My bucket count is 9 (and 2 - 2 gallon buckets).

2018-01-20 16.44.28.jpg

2018-01-20 17.45.33.jpg

DarkOne
I'm impatient. 1 coat is good enough

It begins

2018-01-20 22.32.05.jpg

This is a lot of work! I'm taking a break and put the heater in. 50lbs of gravel in, 50lbs to go.

2018-01-21 00.49.48.jpg

I'm spent.

2018-01-21 02.45.17.jpg

DarkOne
Driftwood is still soaking but I scrubed the rocks and pulled a few plants from my other tanks. Water is still slightly cloudy. I moved Biff and 9 RRMs from my 10 gallon to cycle the 75g. I also move the filter so the 10 gallon will be repurposed soon. The Fluval Fresh & Plant 2.0 light is just amazing!!!

2018-01-21 19.34.04.jpg

DarkOne
The driftwood I picked up still isn't waterlogged but since I got a new addition, he (or she) needed it.

2018-01-25 20.28.49.jpg

Oh, the new addition is a Snowball Pleco L102

2018-01-23 14.32.21.jpg

It's favorite spot seems to be behind the heater.

2018-01-25 20.29.15.jpg

AngelTheGypsy
You know you can’t see her/hI'm in its hiding spot! Lol

Looking good!

DarkOne
Usually, she's a bit higher up behind the heater so you only see the pectoral fins sticking out the sides. I'm leaning towards female because her colors are dark and no reddish tint/hue.

cadd
Nice! That's 100lbs of sand?! Looks so little. lol. Nice looking Pleco! How big will it get? And how's the cycling coming along?

And for some reason the BDBS at that particular Tractor Supply isn't completely black. The 2 bags I got also had those gray/beige grains.

DarkOne
That's why I'm thinking of getting a few more bags. All the BDBS looks the same with the little specks of beige grains. I have 2 other tanks (20g) that need substrate too.

Almost done. 0 ammonia .25 nitrites and about 20 nitrates. I added half a tray more of cycled media from my 306 yesterday which brought the ammonia down to 0 (from .25) and nitrites down from .5. I did a 20 gallon water change because I wanted to add the driftwood. Looks much better in the tank than it did in the 5 gallon bucket lol.

vikingkirken
I was thinking about one of those before I went with the starlight pleco! Snowballs are awesome! I admit I didn't "get" the appeal of plecos when I first got back into the hobby. And now I'm tempted to get another one!

DarkOne
cadd said:
Nice looking Pleco! How big will it get?
Thanks, she should get to 6-8" depending on which site you look at.

vikingkirken said:
I was thinking about one of those before I went with the starlight pleco! Snowballs are awesome! I admit I didn't "get" the appeal of plecos when I first got back into the hobby. And now I'm tempted to get another one!
I saw a starlight a couple of weeks back but I didn't have my 75 gallon ready so I waited and they sold all 3 of them when I went to look. I only had 1 pleco years ago and it died maybe a month after I got it so I never got another one. One of the first fish I got was a BN Pleco but it died after a week. I bought 2 more and when I told the LFS what happened, they gave me another one to replace the first. All 3 are doing great now. I think I have a female in my 20 gallon and a male in my 40g. The 3rd is a runt so I can't tell yet. Since setting up my 75g, I was in search of a pleco that grew to less than 8". It seems like I got a smokin' deal on my snowball after looking at prices online.

DarkOne
I ordered a pack of 25 rubber stoppers for my API test kit late Friday night, Sat morning. It was delivered today, Sunday

2018-01-28 18.05.59.jpg

AngelTheGypsy
Do you have a link to those? I’ve been using my thumbs for a year!

Rythmyc
Lol! I do a pretty good job of keeping track of the caps, and I've only had 1 or 2 leak

DarkOne
AngelTheGypsy said:
Do you have a link to those? I’ve been using my thumbs for a year!
5pk for $8

25pk for $13

Rythmyc said:
Lol! I do a pretty good job of keeping track of the caps, and I've only had 1 or 2 leak
I have all the caps, they just suck. These are much easier to use and clean.

DarkOne
My biggest drill bit was 1/2" so I had to use a dremel with a small sanding drum to fit the tubes. I ordered a forstner bit set to make a better tube tray with space to hold the tops from a 2x4. I'll post a pic when I make one.

DarkOne
I got my forstner drill bit set today so I can make a new test tube tray. I used a 15mm bit and it's a bit loose but works and looks better. The little tray in the back isn't perfect but it holds all the rubber stoppers so I'm happy with it.

2018-01-30 15.36.14.jpg

The worst part of water testing was the caps, especially during the 1 minute shaking for the nitrate test. Now I kinda look forward to testing. I use a 20ml syringe with a 2" blunt needle I got from Amazon to get the water sample into each test tube. I don't have to worry about the test tubes leaking anymore.

Rythmyc
Lol, I've only had one that leaked on me, maybe mine break too quick? Plus I test for 5 tanks, so maybe I just got new ones before they started

DarkOne
I had to hold the cap so hard so it wouldn't leak that I thought the tube would break. It was a workout holding it and shaking for 1 minute. Now it's so much easier.

The 20ml syringe with a 2" luer lock blunt needle allows me to get 15ml for 3 tests (I usually don't do pH). I also use the syringes to measure Stress Coat, Prime, Flourish and meds dosing.

DioAquatics
DarkOne said:
I got my forstner drill bit set today so I can make a new test tube tray. I used a 15mm bit and it's a bit loose but works and looks better. The little tray in the back isn't perfect but it holds all the rubber stoppers so I'm happy with it.

2018-01-30 15.36.14.jpg
I really like this idea and have actually been thinking about doing something like this for a long time. I might just make one this weekend!

AngelTheGypsy
DarkOne said:

2018-01-30 15.36.14.jpg
I missed this post earlier. Youmaking any to sell? Lol

Rythmyc said:
I think I probably use the same one, baby blue squeeze bulb? I have a 10ml syringe, and a 35ml cap for medicines
Yep, that’s the one! I have quite a collection of syringes. For all of my Seachem bottles I bought the child’s medicine syringe with the bottle stopper so I can just turn the bottle upside down. Makes prime measuring SO much easier. I also have a couple 1 ml syringes for measuring prime for 5 gallon tanks, and I use glass eye dropper bulb syringes for spot feeding frozen foods.

DarkOne
AngelTheGypsy said:
I missed this post earlier. Youmaking any to sell? Lol
I just made it from a scrap piece of 2x4. I don't think I can make them nice enough to sell but I can make one for you if you think it's worth the price of postage.

Stacked a rock to make a cave for my snowball pleco.

DSC_3733.JPG

I moved 8 fry into the 75g. They seem to adjust well to the huge space.

DSC_3741.JPG

DSC_3736.JPG

DarkOne
I was running around today and stopped by Petco and they had only 2 KuhlI loaches so I grabbed them. Then later this evening I stopped by Fish Hut and they had a ton of Kuhlis! They just put them in the tank (30m before I got there) and some didn't look so great but there were a few that were active so I picked up another 3.

2018-01-31 18.30.01.jpg

While I was there, I asked if they had any Siamese Algae Eaters and they did so I picked up 3 of them too.

2018-01-31 18.29.56.jpg

Then I saw Mick Jagger!!!

2018-01-31 17.43.51.jpg

Seriously, what kind of fish is this? I tried to get a side shot but no such luck.

They're also getting Blue Phantom Plecos tomorrow or Friday. I need one of them

DioAquatics
Nice pick ups! Do SAE need to be in schools or can you keep just 1 or 2?

And when I went to Fish Hut, I saw the same fish (its nfs). I say that it did the Kylie Jenner challenge and it went wrong lol

DarkOne
I've read that you should have at least 2 SAEs in a tank. The 3 I got are sticking together in QT. Since I have 3 otos, I thought 3 SAEs would be good. They're going into my 40 gallon after QT and then maybe in my 20 gallon for a few weeks to clean up what my pleco and 3 otos don't eat in there. Eventually, they'll end up in my 75 gallon when they get bigger.

I'm not one to take pics at fish stores but that was the first pic I took at a fish store. It was just too funny and ridiculous not to have proof something like that exists!

DioAquatics
I've been thinking about getting 2-3 SAE and about 5 more otos for my 75g

DarkOne
I thought otos would be too small for my 75 gallon so I went with SAEs. My otos don't eat the hair algae I've been starting to get which is another reason I got SAEs.

I'm also pretty sure I'm going to pick up a blue phantom pleco (L128) for my 75 gallon to help with algae that will eventually pop up. Fish Hut is supposed to get some tomorrow and Petco in Paramus might get some next week. Discus Madness (the zebra place) also has medium sized ones for $30 so I might take a trip down to Union.

DioAquatics
Yea my otos are good for some diatom algae but don't really do much with the BBA I have. I know SAE will make a quick snack of it so I'll more than likely be getting 2 or 3 of them in about a month when my new batch of neons and HR are done QT'ing

Blue phantom plecos are nice! I was almost going to get one of the for my 75 gallon also but they get a little too big for my liking so I skipped out on them. Post pictures when/if you get them! *whispers* get them lol

Top Bottom