Back In The Game... - Page 3

DarkOne
Fish hut has a bunch of SAEs that are tiny, about 1" ea so easy to plan ahead and use them in some of my smaller tanks while they're still small. Price was pretty good too ($5 ea). Absolutely Fish had some slightly bigger but were $8 ea and didn't really look very good (thin?) so I passed on them.

Blue Phantoms get to about 6", same as my snowball pleco which is a good size for a 75g, IMO. There are others I would love to get but 10-12" would be a bit too big for my tank and some that don't get much bigger than 4" would be too small. I don't think I have any more room in my QT but since my 75 gallon is mostly empty, I could just drop one in there and QT the 75 gallon

DioAquatics
I'll have to take another trip down to the Fish Hut to get myself some SAE I might end up coming home with another pair of apistos but who knows lol.

Yea they're not huge but for my stocking, I didn't want a pleco that large. I'm really happy that Tiny my BN is a female and will stay on the smaller side. If I had slightly larger fish with a large "theme" in my tank, the blue phantom would have been my pleco of choice.

Lchi87
Was randomly stalking my newsfeed and found this lol. But I had to jump in and express my love for SAEs. I’ve got 5 and wish I had more!

.... back to stalking my newsfeed lol.

aussieJJDude
Is that a dolphin cichlid (Cyrtocara moorii).... has the 'lips' for it.

DarkOne
aussieJJDude said:
Is that a dolphin cichlid (Cyrtocara moorii).... has the 'lips' for it.
No clue what it is but it was funny looking with human-like lips.

So the 3 kuhlis I got all developed fungus on their bodies overnight. I started treating them with Pimafix this morning but one died this evening. Since the LFS was supposed to get some blue phantom plecos, I decided to go there to get a replacement and maybe pick up a blue phantom. Looks like only 2 of their kuhlis survived the night so they gave me a replacement. Unfortunately, their fish shipment was delayed so no blue phantom .

Rythmyc
I'm going to look up that Pleco, it sounds like it would be pretty!

DarkOne
Rythmyc said:
I'm going to look up that Pleco, it sounds like it would be pretty!
It's beautiful and will help with algae. My Snowball pleco is more carnivorous. Both should grow to about 6". Other than my EBA pair and their fry, I have no other fish I want in there except maybe some cories.

DarkOne
I was up late last night trying to nurse a dying kuhlI loach. Unfortunately, it didn't survive. All 3 original kuhlis died from some sort of fungus. I went to the LFS this morning and they were very cool about it and gave me 3 more from a new batch they just got in last night.

2018-02-02 13.02.38.jpg

They also got a few blue phantom plecos with the shipment and I couldn't resist!

2018-02-02 13.01.15.jpg

I'm putting him (her?) straight into the 75 gallon because my QT is already overstocked and possibly diseased from the kuhlis. My 75 gallon only has a snowball pleco, 3 RRMs and 8 EBA fry.

DarkOne
I'm pretty sure this one is a female. She's about 3.5" long.

2018-02-02 13.51.44.jpg

Her fins are a bit ragged. I hope good food and water will heal them up. They had another but the spots went all the way to its tailfin and I wanted a half spotted L128.

2018-02-02 13.51.49.jpg

You can sort of see my snowball in the right cave (upside down). My L128 settled into the left cave now.

2018-02-02 13.51.23.jpg

DioAquatics
That is gorgeous pleco!

DarkOne
KingD said:
That is gorgeous pleco!
Thanks! She is beautiful. I need to take some shots with my dslr later.

They have at least 1 more in stock

DarkOne
I took a trip to pick up some more rocks for the 75 gallon as I wanted a lot of nooks and cranies for the fry to swim in. I also ordered some Vals which arrived today. Lame rescape if you can call it that. I just dropped the rocks in and made a few caves/tunnels. I added a few more swords from my 40 gallon and removed the anubias pot. I found some yellow egg-like things in the root packing when I took them out. Snails?

2018-02-03 16.51.41.jpg

Moving day for the fry. I moved all the fry from my 40 gallon to the 75 gallon yesterday because they were dying 1-3 per day for the last week or so. They're not sick but just suddenly drop off within an hour from what I could tell. I think they're getting killed somehow and not natural causes. Since moving them, none have died in the 75 gallon so I decided to reunite all the brothers and sisters. The last 10 were a pain to catch with the java moss and hornwort in the tank and being on a shelf with about 5" of clearance above it.

2018-02-03 17.05.50.jpg

There's about 60 in the pic above. I would guess about 110-120 fry total in the 75 gallon now.

2018-02-03 17.25.18.jpg

2018-02-03 17.08.31.jpg

cadd
Nice! But LOL!!! That's the largest grow out tank I've ever seen. Do you know why they were dying off? So weird!

DarkOne
I have a snowball pleco and blue phantom pleco in there too .

I thought it might be parasites because I saw one with clear poop so I treated the tank with prazipro but it wasn't like they were wasting away and dying. And it was 1-3 every day. Not more or less. I had zero deaths in the 20 gallon tank. Since moving them last night, no deaths so I decided to move all of them over. It's cool watching most of them schooling together.

My blue phantom is exploring the new decor .

DarkOne
cadd - Here's a pile of hornwort I put in the fry tank 6 weeks ago. I think it was 8-10 stems, slightly larger than a fist when I put it in there.

2018-02-03 18.45.52.jpg

cadd
Wow! That's some massive growth. My hornwort is stabling. I see a tiny bit of new growth on some stems. I'm skipping this week's water change. Don't want to be messing around with the tank and upset them. But I think eventually the stems you gave me will bounce back nicely.

DarkOne
If you need/want more, let me know. I still have a ton.

Now that all the fry is in the 75g, I swapped the 20 gallon tall for a 20 gallon long. Washed some gravel and moved the filters (AC50 and sponge) to the new tank. I pull out the Aqueon VersaTop I bought for it a few weeks ago and it's broken . I should've checked when I bought it. Hopefully, they'll replace it and not blame me for breaking it. The TopFin heater has condensation inside the glass again. I'm gonna see if they'll replace it with an Aqueon heater. I put my brine shrimp heater (Tetra 50w) in there for now. I ordered an Aquaneat 30" light for the tank. That should be here Monday. Hopefully the Beamswork light for my 40 gallon comes too (should've been delivered Fri). I hate FedEx.

DarkOne
<YAWN>

2018-02-04 12.51.24.jpg

4th time laying eggs, 1st time on rock.

DarkOne
Went to Petsmart and Pet Supplies Plus this morning. I got the manager at Petsmart to give me an Aqueon heater instead of another replacement. Unfortunately, it wasn't a Pro but still better than another TopFin. PSP had 1 20 gallon long top left and they replaced the broken one w/o much hassle.

DarkOne
2nd 20 gallon long. I cut the runner from the sword in the 1st 20 gallon long.

2018-02-04 14.34.09.jpg

1st 20 gallon long before trimming

2018-01-22 17.04.10.jpg

AngelTheGypsy
Yours won’t stop spawning and mine won’t start!

DarkOne
Try playing some Barry White

They laid eggs the day after I moved all the fry. I found a little fry I missed and moved him this afternoon.

DSC_3753.JPG

DSC_3754.JPG

AngelTheGypsy
Mine got their own 40G tank a week ago. I think they got a divorce. ☹ I’ve been sick all week so haven’t been doing much with the tanks, but I’m still trying to figure out what I’m going to do long term...

Lchi87
AngelTheGypsy said:
Mine got their own 40G tank a week ago. I think they got a divorce. ☹ I’ve been sick all week so haven’t been doing much with the tanks, but I’m still trying to figure out what I’m going to do long term...
Boo! They were showing some sort of spawning behavior right? I recall you mentioning some plant tugging and wiggling? I’m stumped.

Hope you’re feeling better at least.

AngelTheGypsy
I thought so, but maybe it’s that one wants to spawn and the other doesn’t. Tubes were very pronounced for a few days too. We’re both stumped!

Thank you, yes I am feeling better. Nothing serious, no flu, I just can’t seem to kick it!

DarkOne
Maybe space in the 40 gallon will help. Frozen foods and warmer temps might help too. My pair has an on/off/on relationship but they seem to lay eggs every 10 days or so. I lowered the temps to 77°F yesterday to see if that will slow them down.

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

DarkOne
Quick pic of my fish tank corner

2018-02-05 21.34.21.jpg

DarkOne
I finally got around to unpotting the last anubias barteri. I put one back in the 40 gallon and the other in the 20 gallon long shrimp tank. I also got some cholla wood and had it soaking and was waterlogged yesterday. I glued some java moss on 2 and just stuffed the 3rd (far right) to see if it will grow out of the holes. I think it might be ready for shrimp now.

2018-02-09 22.20.17.jpg

DarkOne
I've been running around all day today and stopped by some Pet<blanks>. I picked up 3 more SAEs from Petco this morning. Then this afternoon I was near a Petsmart that I haven't been to in a long time and never checked out their fish section so I stopped by and they have a sale on a bunch of stuff including Fluval filters. Like black friday prices so I couldn't resist.

2018-02-10 17.41.47.jpg

cadd
How much was it?! Hmmmmm. I kinda want to over filtrate just for the sake of it.

DarkOne
$299 on sale for $199. $279 is the usual online price and the only time I've seen it below $200 was on black friday but I didn't have the 75 gallon then. The 406 is 5x turnover which isn't bad but I don't like settling and I could move it over to the 40 gallon (7.5x currently).

Might be a bit much for a 55 gallon but I'll let you know about the flow.

DarkOne
I've had it up and running for about an hour now and it's still spitting bubbles out occasionally. To be fair, I cheated and didn't fill up the canister first like you're supposed to and suctioned the tank water into it so I'm sure there was a lot of air in there. The flow is pretty strong but not horrible. I'm not sure I'd put this on a 55 gallon and was questionable on my 75g. I have a 206 on a 20 gallon (10x turnover) and it was ok so I was going by that. I didn't take any media from my 406 so I'll have to run both for about a month or so. I love the black input/output attachments. I checked Pet Smart and there's no mention of this sale so it must be a local thing. The store is in Wayne, NJ.

2018-02-10 22.14.24.jpg

And a pic of one of the mystery snails. They are getting huge! Looks like he's waving with his snorkel

2018-02-10 22.13.09.jpg

DarkOne
And the reason all the fry are in the upper right corner is because they think they're getting fed (I fed them )

They don't seemed to be bothered by the extra current from the FX4.

DarkOne
Free swimming fry!

2018-02-11 22.56.01.jpg

Rythmyc
Been busy with my tank, and haven't seen the massive updates you've done. Evening looks amazing! Are those EBA fry? I'm hoping I get some! I'll get a 40G Breeder if mine decide to pair off and look like they'll mate.

DarkOne
Thanks! Yep, more EBA fry. They're in the 40 gallon breeder with 2 BN plecos and 3 small SAEs.

DarkOne
I've been looking for kuhlI loaches (Pangio Kuhlii) for 2 months and 2 weeks ago I finally found some at 2 different LFS. I bought 2 at PetCo (all they had) and 3 from a LFS. I put them in a 10 gallon QT with 3 SAEs from the same LFS and my betta (who is mostly homeless because he's a jerk). 3 kuhlis from the LFS died within 24 hrs and was replaced from a new batch. They all died as well. Then last week, my betta got fungus and died within 12hrs. I was treating them with Pimafix and Melafix as I thought it was just fungus but after more research found that it was columnaris. I got some Furan-2 and KanaPlex which I'm treating the tank with now but one more kuhlI died tonight. The SAEs seems to be immune to it as they have showed no issues or stress thru this 2 week process and have been cleaning all the algae from the hornwort in the 10g.

So 2 weeks and $70 later, I have 1 kuhlI and 1 lost betta.

My EBA fry have dwindled down to about 40-50 fry from about 200 in the last couple of days. I took out all the previous fry and 8 cories and added 3 - 1" SAEs (different from the QT) and there was no issues but the other night I saw the male ramming the fry swimming near the gravel. I netted him for about 5 mins and let him go. He stopped but I have much less fry now. Probably for the best as I didn't want to care for another batch of fry just yet.

GBR tank (20g long) is doing great. EBA fry tank (75g) is also doing well but still getting 1-3 fry deaths per week now rather than per day in the 40g. They're about 1/2" - 3/4" and coloration varies from brown to bright blue.

My blue phantom is getting more comfortable and coming out more but still spooks easily. My snowball is still shy and I only get a rare sighting late at night towards the back of the tank.

Shrimp tank seems to be humming along too but I've only seen 4 at a given time. No dead bodies so I'm guessing they're hiding. No signs of the 2 shrimplets.

vikingkirken
It was nice meeting you today DarkOne!

You have two neat plecos in there. When do we get to see pics??

DarkOne
It was nice meeting you too, vikingkirken!

I posted a couple of pages back. Here they are hanging out together. The blue phantom is about 1" longer than the snowball. I'm pretty sure both are females.

2018-02-04 19.41.46.jpg

They're both pretty shy but the blue phantom comes out at night more than the snowball.

DSC_3767.JPG

DSC_3766.JPG

vikingkirken
Nice! Just went back and found them I missed a lot of stuff when FL wasn't working properly for me.

DarkOne
Feeding time! Most of them pop their noses out of the water.

2018-02-19 17.02.22.jpg

DarkOne
I picked up a Fluval Spec 2.6g tank today. Not sure why other than it was a great deal. HTH Pool Filter Sand is WAY better than play sand. It didn't cloud the water at all and there's no fine sand dust everywhere.

2018-03-04 20.12.13.jpg

DarkOne
I've been looking into dirted tanks lately because some of my plants are hit or miss depending on the tank. My 20 gallon long community seems to do the best as the swords are touching the surface and growing a few inches sideways and the 2 anubias barterI are doing really well with one rhizome growing about 3" with a flower or bud that came up above the other leaves. The 40 gallon and 75 gallon are doing ok but nothing great. I've been cutting tons of leaves off most of swords and new ones are growing in their places but not growing taller.

I have a short sword plant that grew a runner and I've been trying to grow them but it's slow going. I picked up some Miracle Gro Organic Potting Mix and filled a small container to see how one of the baby plants grow. I capped it with about 3/4" of BDBS and put it in the front of the 75g.

Almost immediately, my BN pleco and 1 SAE came over to investigate.

2018-03-17 20.57.58.jpg

After a few mins, all 4 SAEs came over to clean the new plant.

2018-03-17 20.59.43.jpg

The plant on the left is the mother plant. The one in the container is the one on the far right.

2018-01-22 17.04.29 - Copy.jpg

There's also a java fern in the back left that started growing little plants on the leaves. I stripped one leaf of 3 baby java ferns and will be trying to grow them out in the 75g.

DarkOne
My EBA parents are doing great but the female has not grown much but the male has grown at least an inch. Here's a pic of both up close to the glass.

2018-03-21 20.35.47.jpg

Lunnietic
I like being see your updates on the other forum, so I've decided to come and stalk. Ermh, I mean follow.

Where did you get the snowball pleco? Please say online. *-*

DarkOne
Sorry to say, I got my Snowball (and Blue Phantom) at a LFS (Fish Hut).

I didn't see her more than once a week for the first 2 months but she seems more comfortable and is coming out much more often now.

2018-03-22 22.58.55.jpg

Lunnietic
I am totally okay with it being a peek-a-boo pleco. Maybe when I get mine I'll name it Boo. I really want one for my 55 that I will begin building in a month. I just love how cute they are. They are under the sea kissers.

What all do you have in with them?

DarkOne
She's much more active the last week as I've seen her out every day. I guess she just needed to get used to the tank. My Blue Phantom took about a month before she started coming out regularly.

They both get to about 6" when fully grown. Right now I have 8 bronze cories, 4 - 2" SAEs and about 100 EBA babies. Once I sell/give away some more EBA babies, I'm going to move the parents to the 75g. I'll need to figure out what I'm going to stock my 40 gallon with. I currently have 10 EBA babies, the parents, 6 peppered cories, 3" BN Pleco and 3 - 1.5" SAEs.

Lunnietic
I think Plecos are one of the fish that are generally super shy for a very long time. I'm glad you get to see them now though

Would a snowball still be okay in a 55? Ive thought about a pair of EBAs, but I don't live in an area with a LFS/LPS that sells live fish. I would have to cull or ship out babys. Not sure if I am willing to go that distance. (My other half is obsessed with Oscars). Finding a seller of them would be easy because there is like 5 of you with younglins right now...just don't want them picking on pleco.

DarkOne
I think a Snowball would be fine in a 55g. I've seen recommendations as small as 30 gallon for them. LiveAquaria has them for $90 but if you add $10 worth of fish ($100) then it's free shipping.

EBAs remind me a LOT of the oscars I had years ago. Even their mannerisms are very similar but not aggressive unless breeding and even then, they just chase others away from their eggs/spawn. They leave my BN pleco, SAEs and cories alone. I think your SO would love EBAs.

Top Bottom