75 gallon aquarium journal

Gudgie

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi everyone,

My 75 gallon tank is finally up and running, and I wanted to share its progress. I’ve never tracked my tanks before, so I’m hoping to periodically post pictures and see how it fills in. In theory I’m aiming for a South American community tank, if you ignore the fact that we also have six dwarf synodontis (who peacefully coexist with everyone). Any suggestions on things to tweak are always welcome. :)

We transitioned everything from our old 55 gallon over to this new tank this weekend, including the substrate. My husband custom built the stand for it - just still needs some doors so our dogs won’t raid the fish food (wouldn’t be the first time...). :rolleyes:

Equipment and decor:
75 gallon aquarium
Custom stand
Fluval 407 and 306 canisters
Fluval E heater
36" Fluval eco bright LED fixture (13588)
two 21" Marineland Hidden LED Lighting Strips
Pool filter sand
Dark frosted window film as the background
New spider wood, plus our old Malaysian and a bit of mopani driftwood
Dragon stone

Plants:
Anubias nana
Crypt wendtii
Crypt balansae
Rotala indica
Amazon swords
Ludwia repens
A smattering of other plants that I can’t remember :)

Fishes/Inverts:
4 Bolivian rams (currently 3M:1F, hoping to add more females soon!)
10 rummynose tetras
6 endlers
1 female BN pleco
1 Colombian zebra pleco (sold as L129, though I’m not sure how to differentiate from L270).
6 Synodontis luscipinnis
2 black neons
2 glowlight tetras (these and the neons are remains of old schools)
2 Amano shrimp
6 nerites
1 Mystery snail (he rode along with some plants)

Stand after priming:
2D04C22D-99E3-41A9-80F4-95BFB100FDFB.jpeg

Just after we filled the tank on Saturday, waiting for it to clear up:
0E6089E7-A55C-4EE5-9677-D90F0208FD0D.jpeg

Here are some tank shots from Monday, with the tank looking much clearer!
1BAEDBC4-FA8E-4BAE-87C2-71259B78550B.jpeg

E749877F-2E16-43B2-8AF2-40EEF062157E.jpeg
58206523-4A42-4015-A7E0-BDD3B432016F.jpeg
4303583B-07D8-4C86-B8F0-7302953E4368.jpeg

Unfortunately a lot of the plants are in rough shape due to algae and a recent antibiotic treatment in our 55, but hopefully they’ll all recover with time. We definitely need some background plants to fill in. I’ve supplemented with root tabs so far, plus I have liquid ferts. Eventually I hope to upgrade the lighting, probably to a 48” Beamworks FSPEC.

I think I should try to adjust the spider wood on the left so that it takes up more vertical room, but I’m waiting until it’s fully water logged first (rocks are weighting it down). The top of the tank just feels so empty right now. Thoughts?

Basil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Very nice! I have some java fern on taller driftwood to fill out the top of my 75. But I don’t really think yours looks all that bare.
And nice to see another Marylander! What fish stores do you go to?

OP
Gudgie

Gudgie

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Basil said:
Very nice! I have some java fern on taller driftwood to fill out the top of my 75. But I don’t really think yours looks all that bare.
And nice to see another Marylander! What fish stores do you go to?
Thanks!

I've gone to Congressional Aquarium the most since that's closest to me, though they're often pricey. I more recently discovered House of Tropicals - that's where my Colombian pleco came from. I'm still a relatively recent transplant to Maryland (less than 2 years), so I'm all ears if you have other fish store suggestions. :)

Basil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Gudgie said:
Thanks!

I've gone to Congressional Aquarium the most since that's closest to me, though they're often pricey. I more recently discovered House of Tropicals - that's where my Colombian pleco came from. I'm still a relatively recent transplant to Maryland (less than 2 years), so I'm all ears if you have other fish store suggestions. :)
I’ll pm you later.
Huh. So I couldn’t message you for some reason.
Anyhoo, I’ve never been to Congressional but I’ve heard it’s very nice. Go to House of Tropicals and That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA on a fairly regular basis.
I also go to CTE Aquatics in Timonium. It’s a very small place. But healthy fish and good staff.

OP
Gudgie

Gudgie

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I realize I'm overdue for an update as it's been about a month, so here's a new tank shot (after about an hour of maintenance and ripping out hair algae...).
IMG_1638.jpg

Looks like the amazon sword on the right has slowly been filling in, which I'm happy about. Less happy about the crazy hair algae, though admittedly I've been slacking on trying to get rid of it.

Now that the spider wood is more waterlogged, I tried to play around with the setup on the left. Not sure if I'm entirely happy with it yet, but it's a stack of four smaller pieces of driftwood so it may just have to do. I felt like I was playing a game of jenga when I rearranged it. :D Perhaps eventually I can replace it with 1-2 larger pieces instead.

I also just added a powerhead to the lower left. I'm hoping that'll help fix a lot of the dead spots in the back were crud was accumulating. If that doesn't fix everything, I'm also debating getting a spray bar for one of our canister filters.

Here's one of my beautiful male rams (thanks coralbandit) hanging out under the leftside driftwood, with one of the syno cats chilling out under him.
IMG_1645.jpg

My lone female ram continues to have some ups and downs - literally. She'll have a few days of sitting on the bottom with slightly clamped fins, then goes back to normal for a few days, then repeats the cycle. Not entirely sure what to make of it. No other symptoms, eats fine, tank parameters are fine, no one pesters her that I can tell, all other inhabitants are fine. Still hoping to add a few more female rams into the tank as soon as I can get them, especially since everyone else seems perfectly happy and healthy.

Lastly, here's a quick shot of my Colombian zebra pleco, with my bristlenose pleco chilling on the TARDIS behind him/her. The Colombian pleco is surprisingly way less shy than the BN - I can almost always spot him in the tank. :)
IMG_1640.jpg

By the way, Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
:emoji_thumbsup:Looking Good!

Gudgie said:
I also just added a powerhead to the lower left. I'm hoping that'll help fix a lot of the dead spots in the back were crud was accumulating. If that doesn't fix everything, I'm also debating getting a spray bar for one of our canister filters.
I had a similar issue in my 55g, some stagnant areas. My power head is on a timer every few hours for 10 mins or so, most of the inhabitants enjoy swimming in the current.

Good Luck!

Learning all the Time.

Utar

Reaction score
The open stand looks similar to mine.
10 gal.jpg

Please excuse the mess, that is my dog's blanket on the floor. Your husband is a much better carpenter then I am. lol But it is very sturdy, takes two people to move it.

You have beautiful setups, hope my turn out like that when I am finished.

New Threads