Who here watches Football(Soccer)? - Page 4

pagoda

Next Sunday will be a very nerve wracking day

It is the last day of the standard season before the top and bottom clubs in the top flight go into the play off stage....top 6 teams go into Play Off 1 and the rest go into Play Off 2 with the best of the next league down

Anderlecht have had an abysmal season....despite Vincent Kompany, Nacer Chadli, Samir NasrI playing for us

Play Off 1 had been virtually written off......until 3 games ago.

In three games we have scored 16 goals, winning all three easily

We have 43 points and in 8th place

The two teams above us are Mechelen and Genk....both have 44 points.....they play each other next Sunday

We play St Truiden who is well below us in the table

So to get that 6th place we must win and Genk vs Mechelen must end in a draw....there is potentially going to be 1 point in it if that happens

I have a bottle of bubbly in the fridge if we pull it off........and a pack of hair dye to hide the greys if we don't

jinjerJOSH22

Coradee said:
Hmm if my maths is correct (someone check please the suspense is killing me!) we could actually win the league on March 16 against Everton, how sweet would that be! hehe
City have to lose against Arsenal otherwise it’ll be against Palace

Coradee

Oof!! C’mon the gunners lol

jinjerJOSH22

Coradee said:
Oof!! C’mon the gunners lol
I heard somewhere we can win the league before playing another league game? I haven’t seen what/when the fixtures are but that would suck
If that’s true there’ll be 2 chances for City to drop points.
Their max is 86 and we’re currently on 82

Coradee

Yes City play twice now, 11 & 14th so you could be right, if they drop more points we have it wrapped up before we play again, not sure I like that idea but hey I'll take it

pagoda

Don't count chickens just yet Coradee

If things do not slow down over this virus then the FA could well suspend the season which would void Liverpool winning cos the season would effectively cease to exist

The FA, the Sports Minister and PM are meeting tomorrow to discuss things.....at best they could close door games for the rest of the season and worst would be null & void the season completely

Coradee

Ssssh!

pagoda

Wouldn't it be ironic though....Liverpool have played a blinder this season and are so comfy at the top of the table......only to be robbed of the title at the last hurdle by a flippin' virus

pagoda

Italy just cancelled all sporting and other events til next month at the earliest and are in the process of closing all borders due to a massive increase in virus infection & deaths

alx

I don't follow the MLS but Santa Clara County, where the San Jose Earthquakes play, announced they are barring any gatherings of over 1,000 people for 3 weeks. They've had 43 confirmed Corona cases. I guess they will be playing in front of an empty stadium. Maybe they allow 900 people to watch the game? I don't know.

Rev

Hendo should be back for Atletico! That just gave me a huge boost of confidence. Get the Captain back in there.

alx

Some UCL action today.

Leipzig (1) - (0) Spurs
Valencia (1) - (4) Atalanta

alx

Wild to think the Leipzig manager Julian Nagelsmann is the same age as me, 32, and about to beat Jose Mourinho in the Champions League.

pagoda

OK footy peeps......here is a puzzle for you to consider and maybe solve

Almost all domestic European leagues have or are considering delaying games until mid April to allow for the virus to disperse

Season usually end around mid May

The Euro 2020 competition starts its final rounds in June....the off season

Champions League and Europa League complete in May

If all leagues halt seasons for a few weeks, that will extend the season and overlap the Euro 2020

So teams will be missing vital players whilst still playing the now extended domestic leagues

If you had the massive headache of sorting the mess.....what would you do?

Would you extend the domestic season and cancel the Euro 2020.......?

Or would you play extra midweek domestic league games to make up for the time lost in halting games, bearing in mind that both Champions league and Europa League fixtures also happen midweek?

Or would you cancel the rest of the domestic season now, award titles to whoever is top and play the Euro 2020 along with the CL and EL fixtures as planned?

This situation has never happened before so its all new territory.....what would you do if you were in charge?

alx

pagoda said:
OK footy peeps......here is a puzzle for you to consider and maybe solve

Almost all domestic European leagues have or are considering delaying games until mid April to allow for the virus to disperse

Season usually end around mid May

The Euro 2020 competition starts its final rounds in June....the off season

Champions League and Europa League complete in May

If all leagues halt seasons for a few weeks, that will extend the season and overlap the Euro 2020

So teams will be missing vital players whilst still playing the now extended domestic leagues

If you had the massive headache of sorting the mess.....what would you do?

Would you extend the domestic season and cancel the Euro 2020.......?

Or would you play extra midweek domestic league games to make up for the time lost in halting games, bearing in mind that both Champions league and Europa League fixtures also happen midweek?

Or would you cancel the rest of the domestic season now, award titles to whoever is top and play the Euro 2020 along with the CL and EL fixtures as planned?

This situation has never happened before so its all new territory.....what would you do if you were in charge?
That is way above my pay grade. Some very smart and talented people are trying to figure it out. Selfishly I would not want to cancel Euro 2020.

If you cancel the domestic leagues now, how do you explain to the current bottom teams they will be relegated with almost a quarter of the season still to go?

It is a clusterfu**.

jinjerJOSH22

Push Euros to next year

pagoda

vicvega said:
That is way above my pay grade. Some very smart and talented people are trying to figure it out. Selfishly I would not want to cancel Euro 2020.

If you cancel the domestic leagues now, how do you explain to the current bottom teams they will be relegated with almost a quarter of the season still to go?

It is a clusterfu**.
There aren't enough days in the week to add extra missed games midweek from the stalled domestic games so that the leagues don't overlap the Euro2020 games

I do not envy the people having to reorganise the rest of this season and fit the CL/EL games and the Euro2020 games

No-one could have possibly prepared for this happening either

pagoda

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Push Euros to next year

Not possible cos Nations League run ups and finals in 2021 and run up games for World Cup 2022

jinjerJOSH22

pagoda said:
Not possible cos Nations League games and run up games for World Cup 2022
Nations league is new so scraping that shouldn’t be more of a hassle than a long established competition and finding slots to play WCQ should be easy enough.

pagoda

Insanity

English FA - Man City vs Arsenal postponed due to Arsenal players coming into contact with Olympiacos & Notts Forest owner Marinakis who has the virus.

UEFA have told Wolves that their EL game against Olympiacos will not be postponed regardless of the fact that Olympiacos owner having the virus.

This sort of stupidity and narrow mindedness by UEFA absolutely enrages me

Can these FA's and Footy ruling bodies PLEASE get on the same page?

jinjerJOSH22

Gutted the boys were outstanding

alx

Obviously not football related but tonight a report of a NBA player testing positive for Corona. Not even 30 minutes later the NBA announces they are suspending all games indefinitely. That escalated quickly.

jinjerJOSH22

alx said:
Obviously not football related but tonight a report of a NBA player tests positive for Corona. Not even 30 minutes later the NBA announces they are suspending all games indefinitely. That escalated quickly.
A Juventus player tested positive RuganI I think.

alx

jinjerJOSH22 said:
A Juventus player tested positive RuganI I think.
Ya I saw that. Inter, who Juventus played on Sunday are in quarantine. Seria A suspended until at least April. Juventus are supposed to be playing Lyon in the UCL next week.

juniperlea

What's the difference between football and football? It's a rhetorical question. I heart watching young males. of the species, running after a ball. Not interested in young men standing around, evaluating how to kick the ball which has stopped moving.

alx

Golden Boot Gary weighs in.

jinjerJOSH22

pagoda

This pandemic (as it is now officially known) is so unprecedented that no-one....and I mean no-one....knows how to deal with it or the rapid nature of spread

It is a huge decision to suspend a sport and many sporting organisations will delay making that decision for obvious reasons, but I think the footy season and all other sports will be suspended within the next 7-10 days worldwide

Some might say it is a knee-jerk decision but in view of the rapid and indescriminate spread of this virus I don't think there is any viable alternative sadly

alx

California Governor shuts down all gatherings of over 250 people in the 5th largest economy in the world. That's all sporting events, concerts and everything in between. Don't see how the MLS or the other leagues could go on. It is just a matter of time.

pagoda

Trump has halted all travel from the European Schengen area into the US....UK & Ireland were never part of that anyway so no travel restrictions for us or Ireland as yet

Ronaldo is in quarantine at his Madeira home

Boris Johnson is meeting now in emergecny Cobra meeting to discuss closing down schools, public events and possibly borders

UEFA, on the other hand, are trying desperately hard to keep the Euro2020 finals going despite have the countries who are staging the games under lockdown or threat of lockdown

Someone needs to shove an extra strong cup of Lavazza coffee under the noses of UEFA bosses to wake them up methinks

pagoda

The Belgian FA just announced that all professional football games will go ahead behind closed doors, all youth and amateur football games are cancelled and the Cup Final is cancelled

It is difficult for the Belgian professional clubs cos this weekend is the last of the normal season, then there is a two week off season before the play offs start where the league titles and EL/CL teams are decided for the new season

alx

MLS suspends its season for 30 days.

An NBA player making light of the situation a couple days ago, made it a point to touch all of the reporters mics and recording devices. He has now tested positive for Corona and the NBA season is suspended. There are reports that the infected player was careless in the locker room. Touching other players and their belongings. His teammate has now tested positive for the virus this morning.

pagoda

F1 cancelled this weekend's race in Australia after McLaren team worker tested positive

UEFA is having a meeting on March 17 to discuss discontinuing with CL and EL....and postponing Euro2020 for 12 months

alx

pagoda said:
F1 cancelled this weekend's race in Australia after McLaren team worker tested positive

UEFA is having a meeting on March 17 to discuss discontinuing with CL and EL....and postponing Euro2020 for 12 months
UEFA postpones Tuesdays matches, City v Madrid and Juve v Lyon.

Rev

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Gutted the boys were outstanding
That hurt. I was so happy with Bobby's goal, and then it was like a punch in the face.

jinjerJOSH22

Rev said:
That hurt. I was so happy with Bobby's goal, and then it was like a punch in the face.
Not scored at Anfield for 11 months and we win every game. Scores and.....

Rev

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Not scored at Anfield for 11 months and we win every game. Scores and.....
Haha seriously. Poor guy.

alx

Arteta has the virus.

pagoda

Belgium's FA just cancelled all games scheduled to be closed door this Sunday. Belgium itself has also just announced total lockdown with only food stores and pharmacies open....everything else inc schools etc have been closed

alx

pagoda

The English FA - All EPL and EFL football is now suspended until at least April 3

alx

Saturday. No football.

pagoda

alx said:
Saturday. No football.

And its looking like the summer's Euro 2020 will be postponed to next year too. Bundesliga cancelled all games til next month last night too

This outbreak is so unprecedented, the last time anything like this happened was 1918-1919 just after WW1 when the Spanish Flu swept the world and killed 50 million around the world - actually more died of Spanish Flu than in combat during WW1

pagoda

I have found some football!

Turkey and Serbia are still playing footy in their leagues and its being streamed

alx

pagoda said:
I have found some football!

Turkey and Serbia are still playing footy in their leagues and its being streamed
The Mexican league(Liga MX) also hasn't postponed.

pagoda

Fenerbahce players are seriously dangerous.....I am sure they play rugby in their spare time....not only that but they have obviously been to the world famous Neymar School of Theatrics cos they put on an awesome display of rolling around on the grass clutching bodyparts as if they are dying swans in Swan Lake......or is it Nutcracker

SnookusFish

You liverpool fans might hate me but I have to say I'm an atletico suporter although ive been backing liverpool in the premier league these last 2 seasons. I haven't been prouder of my team ever than last wednesday. I just hope we don't lose on pens in the final once again, if the fin even goes ahead with this covid19:0

pagoda

SnookusFish said:
You liverpool fans might hate me but I have to say I'm an atletico suporter although ive been backing liverpool in the premier league these last 2 seasons. I haven't been prouder of my team ever than last wednesday. I just hope we don't lose on pens in the final once again, if the fin even goes ahead with this covid19:0

UEFA are having an emergency meeting this coming Tuesday to discuss this season's EL and CL and the Euro2020 competition.

So you probably won't have long to wait to see what will and won't be played......as things stand, its not looking overly optimistic that EL and CL will reach final stages and Euro2020 could well be postponed for 12 months

alx

After the initial player in the NBA tested positive for the virus they tested his teammates and the teams that played him recently. Today a player from a team they played last Saturday tested positive.

Every sports league is smart to postpone games.

I was really looking forward to watching the Euros this summer but I don't see any way that tournament could continue.

pagoda

A crisis will often bring out the bad side in people.....but occasionally something good happens too

Cristiano Ronaldo....often described as a bit of a diva footballer....has opened up all of his hotel chain across Portugal and Madeira and is paying for them to become emergency hospitals for those with the virus to go and get treatment. He is paying for all the medical equipment and staff so that those with the virus can get taken care of properly.......and he is doing it for free, there will be no charges to those in need if medical help

Now if the rest of the players who earn millions could get together and do something similar, that would be a nice thing to do for their local and/or home communities

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom