15 Gallon Tank What light & filter for 14g cube?

ZeroSum

I would like to ask the dwellers of Fish Lore as to what kind of filter and light i should get for my rimless 14g cube tank from aqueonm Bought it 50% off at petco and its going to be alittle bit before i actually do anything with it(currently doing a rescape of a 60g cube), so in the mean time id like to get a good idea for equipment. Im probably going to make this a planted shrimp tank, with the possibilty with said equipment to be able to have the possibility to house other species aside from shrimp that would fit( I know this isnt much but i mean a betta or snails etc). Please all opinions welcome and if you can give logical(ridiculous reasons are welcome for lols) reasons id be even more appreciated!

Id like to know everyones opinions on the type of filter and light i should get for my 14g cube. Im either going to do shrimp or maybe a pair of scarlet badis...maybe. going to be planted. Ideas?

Fishyfishyfishman

Well Known
I would do an aqua clear 50? or maybe smaller. thats what i have on my mine. Never mind do probably a 30 would be better. I don't know about lights. Just make sure you can keep the badis fed. If doing a betta i would use a sponge filter of appropriate size.

OP
Z

ZeroSum

Yeah i was kinda stuck between a hob of some sort or a sponge. Neither will be great for the aestetic of the tank so i was looking ay maybe a Oase Filtosmart thermo 100 for that but i dont know if its overkill. So aquaclear 30 or 50. And even if its a hob i could buy a pre filter sponge for the intake to help shrimpys and reduce flow alittle

cdwag29

Well Known
My go to filter is usually a sponge filter; since every fish I own is either small or does not like strong flow. I find them easy to hide as well. I believe in the wild Badis can be found in shallow streams, meaning they prefer slower moving water (applies to beta as well), so that's something to consider with whatever filter you buy. I've never used any other filters, but if there is an area for shrimp to get sucked up or the flow is not adjustable and is too strong, make sure you baffle it. Edit: Posted this before I saw you already mentioning baffling.

As for lights, my all time favorite is the NICREW Adjustable light. A close second is the Hygger Full Spectrum Light, and finally for all my small tanks, I just go with a cheap Aqueon Non-Adjustable light that I find works well.

OP
Z

ZeroSum

My go to filter is usually a sponge filter; since every fish I own is either small or does not like strong flow. I find them easy to hide as well. I believe in the wild Badis can be found in shallow streams, meaning they prefer slower moving water (applies to beta as well), so that's something to consider with whatever filter you buy. I've never used any other filters, but if there is an area for shrimp to get sucked up or the flow is not adjustable and is too strong, make sure you baffle it. Edit: Posted this before I saw you already mentioning baffling.

As for lights, my all time favorite is the NICREW Adjustable light. A close second is the Hygger Full Spectrum Light, and finally for all my small tanks, I just go with a cheap Aqueon Non-Adjustable light that I find works well.
Nice thank you! And that aqueon youd recommend for a small planted? Im probably going to do tigerstripe frogbit or purple fringe riccia floaters and maybe coral moss and some micro sword. Also debating doing CO2 considering its easier to do a small tank with CO2 in my area than to do the same with my 60g(Hard to find tanks and a way to refill).

SparkyJones

Well Known
t's a small tank at 14g. you could buy a 15g or 30g canister filter if you got the funds for it and want to go crazy, or a hang on canister filter, just make sure what you buy has flow adjustments and it's not cheaply made and will break easy.. although honestly I haven't tried them to really make a recommendation on any one of them.... But No idea if they are a pain to work on.

I'd do a sponge filter, it's simple, cheap an effective, but if you want the most tank space and least stuff behind the tank the nano canister might be the way to go,

OP
Z

ZeroSum

t's a small tank at 14g. you could buy a 15g or 30g canister filter if you got the funds for it and want to go crazy, or a hang on canister filter, just make sure what you buy has flow adjustments and it's not cheaply made and will break easy.. although honestly I haven't tried them to really make a recommendation on any one of them.... But No idea if they are a pain to work on.

I'd do a sponge filter, it's simple, cheap an effective, but if you want the most tank space and least stuff behind the tank the nano canister might be the way to go,
Space is a concern but not massively. I currently run a marineland 360 magnum on my 60g so im familiar with canister setups but i dont want a whirlpool in the tank lol. Though the Oase setup with the built in heater sounds nice im not opposed to a sponge or h.o.b if it means it will be optimal for what im trying to house. So far ive seen alot of peoe vouching for the fluval aquaclear and i do like that brand. But id like a nice broad spectrum planted light so i could do high intensity if i needed it but the ability to adjust so i dont get algae outbreaks or if i want to house low light plants.

Ellebrius

I have a 15 gallon Fluval Edge that came full equipped. I ditched the HoB and got a sponge filter for a 20 gallon, it’s not too big and easily hidden in a planted tank I love it and so do the shrimps, they graze on it. My tank houses 32 Neocaridina of different colors and 10 Emerald Rasboras. The rasboras were shy at the beginning but now after 2 1/2 weeks they stay in the open when I arrive. I also have 3 Spixi snails in there. I’m really happy with that. :)
But!!! I am now wondering if I should have 3 or 4 male Endlers for a bit of action at the top. We’ll see… :rolleyes:

cdwag29

Well Known
Nice thank you! And that aqueon youd recommend for a small planted? Im probably going to do tigerstripe frogbit or purple fringe riccia floaters and maybe coral moss and some micro sword. Also debating doing CO2 considering its easier to do a small tank with CO2 in my area than to do the same with my 60g(Hard to find tanks and a way to refill).
. But id like a nice broad spectrum planted light so i could do high intensity if i needed it but the ability to adjust so i dont get algae outbreaks or if i want to house low light plants.

I use the Aqueon Freshwater Aquarium Clip On Led on my 5,10, and 12 gallons. As far as growing the plants you listed, it's pretty bright to the point where I actually had to dim it with floaters. It does a decent job at growing Jungle Val, Dwarf Sag and Penny Wort. My slower growers like Java fern and Anubais all have a lot of new growth as well. I dose the tank with ferts and use root tabs, so not entirely sure if the light is responsible.

The smallest NICREW light I could find (12-18 in.) Is actually cheaper than the Aqueon ($21 compared to $24) and you can dim it, raise the brightness, and change the color. I have the bigger version on a 20 gal long and I switch often between the high- moderate intensity (usually on this) and low-moderate intensity, and the plants in this tank seem to be growing more than in the smaller tanks. I have crypts, anubias, jungle val, amazon sword, and java ferns in this tank, and all of them have grown tremendously since I got them. Again, I'm also using tabs and ferts, but the light defiently is a factor.

I have an abundance of floaters in every tank as well. I have to throw them out often actually.

OP
Z

ZeroSum

I use the Aqueon Freshwater Aquarium Clip On Led on my 5,10, and 12 gallons. As far as growing the plants you listed, it's pretty bright to the point where I actually had to dim it with floaters. It does a decent job at growing Jungle Val, Dwarf Sag and Penny Wort. My slower growers like Java fern and Anubais all have a lot of new growth as well. I dose the tank with ferts and use root tabs, so not entirely sure if the light is responsible.

The smallest NICREW light I could find (12-18 in.) Is actually cheaper than the Aqueon ($21 compared to $24) and you can dim it, raise the brightness, and change the color. I have the bigger version on a 20 gal long and I switch often between the high- moderate intensity (usually on this) and low-moderate intensity, and the plants in this tank seem to be growing more than in the smaller tanks. I have crypts, anubias, jungle val, amazon sword, and java ferns in this tank, and all of them have grown tremendously since I got them. Again, I'm also using tabs and ferts, but the light defiently is a factor.

I have an abundance of floaters in every tank as well. I have to throw them out often actually.
Nice ill keep both of these lights in mind. The only other thing i really need is a heater then if i go without the canister filter with built in heater. Any recommendations their?

Prevail

What are the dimensions of your tank? I would do a clip on light like fluval planted 3.0, or the cheaper finnex planted+ clip on light. For filter I would do air driven sponge and any 75 watt heater should be fine, a lot of people like the eheim ones

cdwag29

Well Known
Eheim Heaters like prevail said are my personal go to. I have 4 and have had great success with them. I also really like the Fluval Adjustable Heater. I use the fluval one in a 12 gallon long tank and it keeps it just as warm. I would try to stay away from presets, since often they are not reliable.

OP
Z

ZeroSum

What are the dimensions of your tank? I would do a clip on light like fluval planted 3.0, or the cheaper finnex planted+ clip on light. For filter I would do air driven sponge and any 75 watt heater should be fine, a lot of people like the eheim ones
Its a 14g aquaeon cube tank. I do like the fluval planted 3.0 was wondering if id be worth it for a shallower tank or if i could get high intensity levels of par at the substrate level with something cheaper. And i do loke ehiem brand so ill have to hunt down that heater

OP
Z

ZeroSum

eheim s are cheap on amazon.

Prevail, it is a 15 inch cube. Or 38 cms it is a actual cube
Yes what this man said ^ lol sorry for the confusion

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BubblySkootch
Replies
Views
ScarletKitsune
Replies
Views
Silister Trench
Replies
Views
Zer0Fame
Replies
Views
Fishproblem

Did You Know...

Lucy contacted the Tetra SafeStart manufacturer to get some of the more common questions members had answered on how to use TSS correctly. See it here:
Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom