What are you guys feeding your fish?

Indianasfishkeeper

Here's what mine are getting the next few days

Crispii

I usually feed my fish frozen food on a daily basis.

thiqqfish

I use Tetramin Tropical flakes

Ismene

Yum yum! I feed mostly HikarI brand stuff, but to get their frozen foods I have to drive to Indy I bought a lot of freeze dried stuff before I read about introducing air into the gut, so I’m thinking I’m going to get some Repashy Soilent Green and put them in that. Like fruit in jello

Ryanster

Northfin has superior Ingredients to many, worth the extra cpl $ imo.

Ismene

Crispii said:
Ok, so I’ve seen tons of posts hating on that, but when I first learned about frozen food I thought why wouldn’t you do that??? Seems closer to what they’d eat in the wild. I don’t know, I’m new to most of this.

MissPanda

I feed flake food, bug bites, veggies and frozen food. (different varieties of each) I like to mix it up.

Crispii

sarah224 said:
Ok, so I’ve seen tons of posts hating on that, but when I first learned about frozen food I thought why wouldn’t you do that??? Seems closer to what they’d eat in the wild. I don’t know, I’m new to most of this.
That's because I have wild caught fish. The only fish that I don't feed frozen food is by bristlenose pleco.

Indianasfishkeeper

Crispii said:
Do use the same kind all the time ? Or give them a variety ?

Indianasfishkeeper

sarah224 said:
Yum yum! I feed mostly HikarI brand stuff, but to get their frozen foods I have to drive to Indy I bought a lot of freeze dried stuff before I read about introducing air into the gut, so I’m thinking I’m going to get some Repashy Soilent Green and put them in that. Like fruit in jello
I go to the reef at keystone and 56th street I always put my cubes in a cup with some water and fully let them melt for atleast 5-7 min, then I'll pour off the top layer of water and blast them with a blast from the faucet to make sure the cubes are totally broken up and dethawed

sarah224 said:
I agree with this

Crispii said:
Variety. Depending on the fish, I would feed bloodworms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, beefheart, spirulina, BBS, daphnia, or cyclops.
I feel like the variety is better to keep them mixed up

Kitley

so, new to this...so far have fed only the dried flakes and algae tabs. I have zebra danios, platys, a mystery snail and cory cats. Is there something frozen that would work for most of them without investing a lot of dollars at this point? Also my tank is still cycling...fishin so can I still feed frozen food?

SoldSpartan

Today I got some freeze dried bloodworms mainly for my African Dwarf Frogs, but I think the Betta fish will benefit from it as well.

Indianasfishkeeper

Kitley said:
so, new to this...so far have fed only the dried flakes and algae tabs. I have zebra danios, platys, a mystery snail and cory cats. Is there something frozen that would work for most of them without investing a lot of dollars at this point? Also my tank is still cycling...fishin so can I still feed frozen food?
My Cory's and danios both love brine shrimp and bloodworms

Kitley

yes,,,planning to get that. Will my other fish leave them alone, do you think?

Indianasfishkeeper

Kitley said:
yes,,,planning to get that. Will my other fish leave them alone, do you think?
Once it's in the tank it's pretty much fair game lol no real way of controlling who eats what

Ismene

Indianasfishkeeper said:
I go to the reef at keystone and 56th street

Ha! I go to The Reef, too Their posts on Facebook were so awesome I was like sold! I got most of my fish there, and some frozen blood worms. I accidentally got baby brine shrimp instead of regular, but I’ve read they’re more nutritious because of the yolk, so whatever. I found some San Francisco Bay frozen Emerald Entree at the Petsmart near me, and my fish like it. It’s got mysis shrimp in it and I guess those are more nutritious than brine shrimp. I’ve seen brine shrimp called “popcorn” a lot. So, I guess they’re like fish junk food. I take some tank water out with a small glass, put whatever frozen food I’m going to feed in it, and then drop it in with a pipette/turkey basted/syringe. Or sometimes I just dump in the whole glass of bbs and watch the free-for-all.
[/QUOTE]

Indianasfishkeeper

The reef is awsome I've gotten 95 percent of my supplies,plants,fish,and driftwood from there !

Tez

Mine get fed Bug bites granule food and they just love it.

IMG_20200117_145228_2 (2).jpg

Indianasfishkeeper

Tez said:
Mine get fed Bug bite granule food and they just love it.

IMG_20200117_145228_2 (2).jpg
Have never seen this before !

Ismene

Tez said:
Mine get fed Bug bites granule food and they just love it.
Indianasfishkeeper said:
I have been eyeballing those. But, I think I have a fish food fetish. I need to stop buying stuff! I’ve got 5 kinds of freeze dried stuff (hence the Repashy idea), 3 frozen foods, and 3 types of pellets. No more new types of food (except Repashy). Must. Resist.

Tez

Indianasfishkeeper said:
Any aqaurium should sell it I pay £3-59 for mine and they drop slowly in to the water and they fish go made for them lol..watch my video

Falena

Omega one for most dried foods. But, HikarI algae wafers, Atison's betta pro, fluval bug bites and a variety of frozen foods. Cyclops, daphnia, brine shrimp, bloodworms, mosquito larvae. Some of these live too, then of course hatch in the bag baby brine shrimp

jake37

I let my fish eat each other

Tez

jake37 said:
Nice one

Indianasfishkeeper said:
Did you see how they demolish it before it reaches the bottom

StarGirl

I feed Bug bites, Omega One flakes, frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. My Rams get Cichlid pellets too. Mix it up. Todays dinner was bloodworms. They also get an occasional shrimp or Algae pellet.

Tez

StarGirl15 said:
I feed Bug bites, Omega One flakes, frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. My Rams get Cichlid pellets too. Mix it up. Todays dinner was bloodworms. They also get an occasional shrimp or Algae pellet.
I see they're spoilt

StarGirl15 said:
Bug bites
I tried them with this as it was being given away free in small packets when I was buying guppies when I first started, as I was buying them Tropical flakes and they had the cheek to turn their noses up at it

StarGirl

Tez said:
I tried them with this as it was being given away free in small packets when I was buying guppies when I first started, as I was buying them Tropical flakes and they had the cheek to turn their noses up at it
ALL of my fish love them so I don't know. Maybe the sample was really stale?

Tez

StarGirl15 said:
ALL of my fish love them so I don't know. Maybe the sample was really stale?
I thought I was on an expensive game with my staffy how I treated and looked after him but OMG these are worse

Ismene

jake37 said:
15 years ago I had a tank like that. I had swordtails and mystery snails. And a major algae problem/not problem. I never fed them anything, they all ate the algae and each other and I vacuumed the gravel once a month. It was 29 gallons and I probably changed out less than five gallons of water. What can I say, I was a full time nurse and mom and now that I know better I do better.

I need a shrug emoji, my phone keyboard can’t do old skool text emoticons.

Tez

sarah224 said:
15 years ago I had a tank like that. I had swordtails and mystery snails. And a major algae problem/not problem. I never fed them anything, they all ate the algae and each other and I vacuumed the gravel once a month. It was 29 gallons and I probably changed out less than five gallons of water. What can I say, I was a full time nurse and mom and now that I know better I do better.
Look at it this way they survived well

Ismene

Tez said:
Look at it this way they survived well
Dude they thrived. It was crazy. I let it go all wild kingdom in there and it went on for a year or more. Crazy livebearers. I broke it down and gave all my fish away because doing a monthly vacuum was more effort than I wanted anymore. Hadn’t had an aquarium in like ten years and then my daughter BEGGED me for a betta. Which I couldn’t let live in a bowl. Which eventually led me back to a 29 gallon.

Cgtoxic

my adult guppies get hikarI fancy guppy food but my guppy fries get both flakes and hikari

Tez

sarah224 said:
Dude they thrived. It was crazy. I let it go all wild kingdom in there and it went on for a year or more. Crazy livebearers. I broke it down and gave all my fish away because doing a monthly vacuum was more effort than I wanted anymore. Hadn’t had an aquarium in like ten years and then my daughter BEGGED me for a betta. Which I couldn’t let live in a bowl. Which eventually led me back to a 29 gallon.
It's funny though you on about this because my son in law hardly does his tank and it's proper crapped up and his fish are thriving and fat and now he's having my 22 gallon off me, this i've got to see and I also have a friend who just cleans his once a month and changes some water doesn't touch the filters and his fish are the same and here's me constantly on with mine...it makes you wonder it really does ???????

Basil

Right now I’m feeding mainly bug bites, New Life spectrum Thera granules, and a variety of frozen food: bloodworms, spirulina brine shrimp, and a variety mix.
I have one tank that does get ocean nutrition flakes as well.
2 of my tanks also get cooked frozen peas once a week and the barb only tank gets the peas plus a day of spinach.

StarGirl

I do feed my BN pleco blanched veggies. My Amanos like them too.

Indianasfishkeeper

Tez said:
Did you see how they demolish it before it reaches the bottom
Yes ! Definitely will have to look into that!

Tez said:
It's funny though you on about this because my son in law hardly does his tank and it's proper crapped up and his fish are thriving and fat and now he's having my 22 gallon off me, this i've got to see and I also have a friend who just cleans his once a month and changes some water doesn't touch the filters and his fish are the same and here's me constantly on with mine...it makes you wonder it really does ???????
To be honest I never do water changes I let whatever water wraps off over the weel be my water change always stay up.on filter cleanings and does my plants with liquid ferts and tabs, my plants, fish and tank.in general are thriving

Basil said:
Right now I’m feeding mainly bug bites, New Life spectrum Thera granules, and a variety of frozen food: bloodworms, spirulina brine shrimp, and a variety mix.
I have one tank that does get ocean nutrition flakes as well.
2 of my tanks also get cooked frozen peas once a week and the barb only tankers gets the peas plus a day of spinach.
How do you like the ocean nutrition? What are you feeding with it ?

StarGirl15 said:
I do feed my BN pleco blanched veggies. My Amanos like them too.
Never thought of that either!

MissNoodle

I feed bug bites micropellets, bug bites bottomfeeder, aqueon betta pellets (I mixed with the bug bites bottomfeeder), nutrifin MAX tropical flakes, wardley shrimp pellets, algae wafers, omega one frozen foods (usually mysis shrimp and bloodworm), fresh steamed veggies, live mealworms, shrimp and fish from grocery store occasionally, and a homemade gel food (zucchini, broccoli, garlic, spinach, and live mealworms cooked, gelatin added, and cooled/frozen).

Looking to adding in Omega One shrimp pellets in place of the Wardley though and saving Wardley as a treat (theyre good pellets just messy). I offee just a bit of everything, depending on the tank. My nano tank is more limited due to being mostly carnivorous fish and being tiny. The vegetarian parts of my feed is for my farlowella, mollies, platies, barbs, and snails.

KinderScout

HikarI micro granules for the fish - an algae wafer for the shrimp - occasionally HikarI Shrimp Cuisine delivered down a tube into the shrimp cave - alternated daily with Gamma frozen foods (copepods, red plankton, daphnia, bloodworm etc ) - on water change days freeze dried tubifex as a treat. Sometimes par-boiled brocollI as a treat for the shrimp.

StarGirl

MissNoodle said:
zucchini, broccoli, garlic, spinach, and live mealworms cooked, gelatin added, and cooled/frozen
Well that looks interesting. Whats the recipe? Who do you feed this to?

Ismene

Indianasfishkeeper said:
To be honest I never do water changes I let whatever water wraps off over the weel be my water change always stay up.on filter cleanings and does my plants with liquid ferts and tabs, my plants, fish and tank.in general are thriving
your tank is gorgeous!!

you ever watch anything by the aquarium co op guy, Cory? He never does water changes either. Says it’s all stocking & plants to suit the build & temp.

only had my 30 gallon going since August - I’m not there yet

MissNoodle said:
a homemade gel food (zucchini, broccoli, garlic, spinach, and live mealworms cooked, gelatin added, and cooled/frozen).
Can I have your recipe? I have been considering Repashy, but I’ve read about doing homemade gel foods. Honestly, sounded a bit tricky and I didn’t want to experiment on my own. I have a tank of omnivores, and too many freeze dried foods. I was thinking of adding them to the Repashy. Your method is most likely cheaper Using them with veggies too sounds ideal!

Indianasfishkeeper

sarah224 said:
your tank is gorgeous!!

you ever watch anything by the aquarium co op guy, Cory? He never does water changes either. Says it’s all stocking & plants to suit the build & temp.

only had my 30 gallon going since August - I’m not there yet
Yes I follow him ! My temp is at 84, and all the plants pretty much use up all the poo lol my theory is the closest to natural you can get the thing will take care of itself

ghostdawg

freeze dried blood worms & flakes...flakes the most!

MissNoodle

sarah224 said:
Can I have your recipe? I have been considering Repashy, but I’ve read about doing homemade gel foods. Honestly, sounded a bit tricky and I didn’t want to experiment on my own. I have a tank of omnivores, and too many freeze dried foods. I was thinking of adding them to the Repashy. Your method is most likely cheaper Using them with veggies too sounds ideal!
StarGirl15 said:
Well that looks interesting. Whats the recipe? Who do you feed this to?
1 garlic clove
Half cup spinach
1 zucchini
Half cup broccolI or one stem
Half cup live mealworms (full sized) <--- this can be substituted with shrimp or fish from the grocery store. Or other insects. I use mealworms because I raise a colony of them anyways.
1 pack knox gelatin (can be others, as long as its plain gelatin)

I puree everything before putting it into a pot and boiling it. Add water and gelatin mix as per the instructions on the package.

Place into a container, a freezer bag flattened works great because you can break off as large or small pieces directly from the freezer and melt into the tank water.

This is fed to everyone. Snails, fish.
But fed more often to my livebearers and barbs. My mollies and platies go bonkers for it.

20191022_042805.jpg

Indianasfishkeeper

MissNoodle said:
1 garlic clove
Half cup spinach
1 zucchini
Half cup broccolI or one stem
Half cup live mealworms (full sized) <--- this can be substituted with shrimp or fish from the grocery store. Or other insects. I use mealworms because I raise a colony of them anyways.
1 pack knox gelatin (can be others, as long as its plain gelatin)

I puree everything before putting it into a pot and boiling it. Add water and gelatin mix as per the instructions on the package.

Place into a container, a freezer bag flattened works great because you can break off as large or small pieces directly from the freezer and melt into the tank water.

This is fed to everyone. Snails, fish.
But fed more often to my livebearers and barbs. My mollies and platies go bonkers for it.

20191022_042805.jpg
Sweet Cory's

Dawn Michele

My Oscar & JD get Hikari, Northfin, & Dainichi.

Basil

Indianasfishkeeper said:
How do you like the ocean nutrition? What are you feeding with it ?
Well my fish like it!
I’m mainly feeding it to my tank of brilliant rasboras and dwarf chain loaches.
My other two tanks have floating plants so I tend to feed food that sinks faster than the flakes.

Since this is a thread on feeding, I’ll ask here. Besides Bug bites and NLS, does anyone have any micro pellets their fish like?
I’ve discovered the platinum green tiger barbs are very susceptible to bloating. But they have been doing well on the above mentioned small pellets as well as frozen food.
I can’t feed the HikarI algae wagers that my loaches absolutely love. The tiger barbs completely gorge on them So maybe a veggie based pellet for variety?

KinderScout

Basil said:
Since this is a thread on feeding, I’ll ask here. Besides Bug bites and NLS, does anyone have any micro pellets their fish like?
I’ve discovered the platinum green tiger barbs are very susceptible to bloating. But they have been doing well on the above mentioned small pellets as well as frozen food.
I can’t feed the HikarI algae wagers that my loaches absolutely love. The tiger barbs completely gorge on them So maybe a veggie based pellet for variety?
HikarI Micro Pellets maybe?

Basil

KinderScout said:
HikarI Micro Pellets maybe?
Yes, I forgot about them. Had a sample last year and they ate them.
Also found Cobalt with a search. It’s more meat based so might be another nice addition for my dwarf chain loaches.
Anyone tried Omega One micro pellets? They came up in a search also.

KingJamal2

Indianasfishkeeper said:
I go to the reef at keystone and 56th street I always put my cubes in a cup with some water and fully let them melt for atleast 5-7 min, then I'll pour off the top layer of water and blast them with a blast from the faucet to make sure the cubes are totally broken up and dethawed

I agree with this

I feel like the variety is better to keep them mixed up
Same! I go to the reef as well!

Nice to know I have a fellow Indianapolis fish keeper on this forum!

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom