Starting A 125 Discus Tank.

86 ssinit
Eggs eggs eggs my fish laid eggs!!! Ok angelfish. But even with their egg laying there are no problems in that tank. Parents seem to be taking care of the eggs and water change isn’t till wed so we will see

RollaPear
86 ssinit Congrats on the spawn!!!

coralbandit
Nice !!
They may be tough parents but my money is on the clown loaches !

BarbaraLocke
Eggs eggs eggs my fish laid eggs!!! Ok angelfish. But even with their egg laying there are no problems in that tank. Parents seem to be taking care of the eggs and water change isn’t till wed so we will see
Beautiful tank and fish! That’s a really striking GR Rainbow, too!

86 ssinit
Lol yeah I think the loaches will be feasting. But as of now the parents are doing there job. Though most of the eggs are turning white.
Barbara only rainbows are the bosemani. I have 3 in there. There are 2 Buenos arias tetras in ther3 and a golden wonder killI fish.

BarbaraLocke
Lol yeah I think the loaches will be feasting. But as of now the parents are doing there job. Though most of the eggs are turning white.
Barbara only rainbows are the bosemani. I have 3 in there. There are 2 Buenos arias tetras in ther3 and a golden wonder killI fish.
I meant to say B Rainbow, 86 ssinit, but had Goyder Rivers on my mind as I had shown mine to a friend who stopped by a little earlier. I finally got another BosemanI to replace the on I lost when the heater malfunctioned, but bought local, so mine isn’t nearly the brilliant orange yay your’s is. I was trying to figure out what the Golden Wonder KillI fish were! From what I’ve learned here about Angels, you needn’t worry if this clutch (?) of eggs goes bad - there will be more to replace them soon! Yikes! You’ll need more tanks!

BTW, when I cleaned the 29 gallon over the weekend I found some Duckweed had hitched a ride on some of the Wisteria or Hornwort! Thanks so much - I’ve been trying to find some local ever since getting back into the hobby, but no luck! Now I’m carefully picking every little leaf cluster off the siphon tube and putting them back in the tank - even though I know that before long I’ll be taking for granted my floating carpet (it seems there’s more floating around every day)!

86 ssinit
Yes that duckweed grows like crazy!!! As to the eggs they’re gone. I’m not planning on keeping fry. I now have 6 bosemanI fry. All of different ages. Seems they come whenever I move plants out of the community tank. Check the top of whatever tank the westeria is in you may have some in there. Just found 2 tiny ones in my shrimp tank this week. Also bosemanI take at least a year to color up and years to look like the one in my tank. That guy is at least 5.

BarbaraLocke
Yes that duckweed grows like crazy!!! As to the eggs they’re gone. I’m not planning on keeping fry. I now have 6 bosemanI fry. All of different ages. Seems they come whenever I move plants out of the community tank. Check the top of whatever tank the westeria is in you may have some in there. Just found 2 tiny ones in my shrimp tank this week. Also bosemanI take at least a year to color up and years to look like the one in my tank. That guy is at least 5.
Ah well, if the pair are serious, they’ll spawn again, and again..... LOL! I’d love to find even one BosemanI hiding in the Wisteria!! I split it up between 3 tanks, and cleaned all 3 since adding the plants, and haven’t seen any. But the, I got a brain storm to make an incubator box for the egg pods my Golden Mystery snails had laid, which was too much of a success - so I left the last few pods in the tank with the Silver Dollars, BosmanI and Australian Rainbows about a month ago, figuring any that hatched and dropped into the water would get eaten. I just found a few, about the size of a pea, on the glass this morning - so who knows! So, there’s hope for my young Bosmani! The one I lost had been adopted as an adult, and was probably a little more than 5” - and he was a deep orange like yours. I’m patient..... Gotta go take a magnifying glass to the Wisteria tanks!

jake37
I've decided I hate duckweed. The problem is that it creates such a dense covering nothing beneath it can get light. This is great for the fishes looking for shade; but lousy for the plants struggling to grow. I do have to say it grows amazingly fast in the guppy tank. Then again the frogbits grows pretty darn fast. I almost think it is water let. This stuff (both forgbits and duckweed) love the guppies. It doesn't really grow well in any other tank I have.... but the guppy tank....

BarbaraLocke
I've decided I hate duckweed. The problem is that it creates such a dense covering nothing beneath it can get light. This is great for the fishes looking for shade; but lousy for the plants struggling to grow. I do have to say it grows amazingly fast in the guppy tank. Then again the frogbits grows pretty darn fast. I almost think it is water let. This stuff (both forgbits and duckweed) love the guppies. It doesn't really grow well in any other tank I have.... but the guppy tank....
Lol! Yes, too much of a good thing can become a problem! In my case I will use the duckweed as a sustainable food ‘crop’ for my (mostly) herbivore Silver Dollars - who loved the frogbit I naively bought and put in their tank, thinking it would grow faster than they could ‘graze’ it down. Wrong! Gone in 60...oh, wait, that was a movie....but all the frog bit was gone in a couple days! I had put some in other tanks, too, but it doesn’t grow as fast as duckweed, hence my deep appreciation for getting some duckweed from 86 ssinit (and yes I’ve put all I can find in my guppy tank

86 ssinit
Got some new additions!!
Thanks Coral!!!

angelcraze
Where's the jealous emojI lol? That is a dream tank wow! I'm not really actually jealous, not in a bad way, but I LOVE your tank haha! Ok maybe a bit jalouse you can get such amazing fish. They are magnificent

Newbies looking like they are really enjoying the tank, like right at home

jake37
I wanted to ask since I planned on having a gravel discus tank and most people have bare bottom; did you start with small discus or mostly adults ?

Also what are the little blue fishes below the discus - some sort of ram ?

Got some new additions!!
Thanks Coral!!!

86 ssinit
I started with 2” discus . It’s long but if you go to the beginning you can see them from when I got them till now . The little blue fish are electric blue rams from coral bandit. I got those on Tuesday and have to say they acclimated to my water almost instantly . I kept them in a 5 gallon qt tank for only 3 days. Moved them in with discus after 2 pairs layed eggs in 5g. Now have a pair of golds watching the eggs (just in case). Great dither fish that get along great with the discus. They stay mostly on the bottom so whatever food gets under the discus they get.

jake37
Thanks. I guess I was thinking they were electric blue rams but the colour is a bit nicer than the ones i've seen in the stores; or at least very different. Dang I want to go ahead and move so I can get a larger tank. Oh well patience. Gotta practice my patience.

Oh one thing I did want to ask how difficult was it raising them with gravel and how frequent and robust did you gravel vacuum. In my current tank I mostly just vacuum the top loosely since the plants are so prevalent but in the back by the spong filters I go quite deep since a lot of muck get drawn to the sponges.

I started with 2” discus . It’s long but if you go to the beginning you can see them from when I got them till now . The little blue fish are electric blue rams from coral bandit. I got those on Tuesday and have to say they acclimated to my water almost instantly . I kept them in a 5 gallon qt tank for only 3 days. Moved them in with discus after 2 pairs layed eggs in 5 gallon. Now have a pair of golds watching the eggs (just in case). Great dither fish that get along great with the discus. They stay mostly on the bottom so whatever food gets under the discus they get.

86 ssinit
I remove 60 gallontwice a week and gravel vac the whole 60. Yes allways more by the intakes. Not worried about bacteria in the substrate. There’s plenty in the filters and with the constant water changes the water is allways good .

jake37
Ok I think I can do that - my issue with vacuum of the gravel isn't bacteria but the plant density. My tank is a bit more of a jungle where as yours is well organized. I keep debating between my next tank being 3 feet deep or 4 feet deep; I know 2 feet isn't enough for the plants but I suspect 4 is overkill. Hum 96 x 48 x 24 - hum probably not a good idea.

I remove 60 gallontwice a week and gravel vac the whole 60. Yes allways more by the intakes. Not worried about bacteria in the substrate. There’s plenty in the filters and with the constant water changes the water is allways good .

86 ssinit
3 feet deep would need some heavy duty lights to get to the plants. You’d need a scuba mask just to plant them. I had a 30” deep tank and it was tough to clean or grab something on the bottom. 24” is deep enough! You just have to start trimming plants. I trim mine once a month otherwise it’s a mess.

jake37
I wasn't clear. 3 or 4 feet front to back. Regardless 23 high.

86 ssinit
Lol that’s a big tank!!

jake37
But would 4 feet be too deep for a tank? I could actually plant large plants like swords and aponogeton and still have clear space in front like your tank Of course I would never see the rear again nor the clown loaches but we can't have everything ?

Lol that’s a big tank!!

86 ssinit
Mine is only 18” wide. 48” is really wide and will take up a big footprint on your floor. 96” long is 8feet so you’ve got plenty of swimming room. If you plant 3’ on each side and leave the middle open with maybe a peice of driftwood would give you a nice setup. Thing with 4’ most would set that up in the middle of a floor so you can get all around it. Setting it up against a wall will make a lot of it real hard to clean. Just my 2 cents .

jake37
I'll most likely go with 3 feet wide and 23 inches tall. I plan on leaving 2 feet behind the tank so I can get a stool behind to do whatever from the back. The room will be 16 feet wide so I can put tanks against both walls (leaving 2 feet behind them) and still have 6 or 7 feet free down the middle of the room. I look at my 120 (which is 2x4); and i'm not too serious about having 4 feet wide but I know 2 feet wide is not enough for these plants. Given the space they would love 2 feet width each.

BarbaraLocke
I'll most likely go with 3 feet wide and 23 inches tall. I plan on leaving 2 feet behind the tank so I can get a stool behind to do whatever from the back. The room will be 16 feet wide so I can put tanks against both walls (leaving 2 feet behind them) and still have 6 or 7 feet free down the middle of the room. I look at my 120 (which is 2x4); and i'm not too serious about having 4 feet wide but I know 2 feet wide is not enough for these plants. Given the space they would love 2 feet width each.
Spoken like a man who has been seriously bitten!

BarbaraLocke
I started with 2” discus . It’s long but if you go to the beginning you can see them from when I got them till now . The little blue fish are electric blue rams from coral bandit. I got those on Tuesday and have to say they acclimated to my water almost instantly . I kept them in a 5 gallon qt tank for only 3 days. Moved them in with discus after 2 pairs layed eggs in 5 gallon. Now have a pair of golds watching the eggs (just in case). Great dither fish that get along great with the discus. They stay mostly on the bottom so whatever food gets under the discus they get.
And, I’ve gotta say that coralbandit ’s EBR’s color outshines the discus!

86 ssinit
Yes unbelievable color. Those weren’t even what I wanted he threw those in. The golds are still in qt. Because both the gold pair and the blue pair laid eggs on day 2 in qt. Unfortunately all eggs eaten . Though I am glad . I had no idea what to do with them. But his rams adjusted to my tanks instantly. I mean those blues were up there fighting with the discus at first feeding . They fit in like they belong! Just great fish!

BarbaraLocke
Yes unbelievable color. Those weren’t even what I wanted he threw those in. The golds are still in qt. Because both the gold pair and the blue pair laid eggs on day 2 in qt. Unfortunately all eggs eaten . Though I am glad . I had no idea what to do with them. But his rams adjusted to my tanks instantly. I mean those blues were up there fighting with the discus at first feeding . They fit in like they belong! Just great fish!
Well, maybe the Bandit should put a disclaimer on his rams that they like to breed like rabbits?! I was so tempted to choose a couple of his rams for my Xmas prize, but was afraid they couldn’t take the 90F temp my large Discus tank was set at back then. I’ve since been able to get the Discus used to 84F, but it was a sloooow process! Just in time to get some of the little Santarems, though, and when the guppies are gone I’ve got their tank earmarked for EBR’s!

jake37
I really liked the gold coralbandit sent me a while back. I'm not unhappy with the ones I picked up from the lfs a couple of weeks ago - they have a lot of personality but not quite as much colour as the previous ones. If he is still breeding them in about 18 months I'll order some more but time changes and people change and I'll just have to wait and see where things are in the future. I'd like to keep about 10 rams and 6 discus in an 8x3x2 (feet) tank but we shall see what happens.

86 ssinit
Shrimp are doing good with the discus .
90CEB358-EBF8-44D0-A7D2-350107563BF7.jpegAnd pulled these guys out doing a water change.
4C2C40C2-C06F-4047-94BA-CEE73021AE37.jpeg

86 ssinit
They eat what they can catch. But not enough to stop the shrimp from growing. The big blue one is berried.

jake37
What do you mean by berried ?

86 ssinit
When female shrimp are carrying eggs it’s called berried.

86 ssinit
Right under the discus eyes .

jake37
Did the rams dig the pit or was it left over. For a minute I expected to see wrigglers but now i'm thinking it was just eggs.

Right under the discus eyes .

86 ssinit
Yes just eggs!! They are in the process of laying they. Thought it was funny. Discus have no clue.

jmaldo
Good catch and vid.
They picked a "Great" spot, well hidden.
LOL, the Discus were all watching you "Feed Us".

Congrats - Good Luck!

86 ssinit
My bosemanI are growing and it looks like one is a male .
3E448566-5DF4-4C8F-A651-171DBCC4610D.jpeg
3873A3E8-DBE2-4740-B216-015FE3D5D01B.jpeg

86 ssinit
Just some more pics. Tanks still running well. All getting along. The rams are still lasting eggs and the discus aren’t .
E3C4C795-520F-4F7E-96B0-69F106F853A3.jpeg
8229BF8C-1597-4F5B-B7F5-FC1B75D9A9B5.jpeg
953B829A-B79D-4804-87F3-A568C03F86F6.jpeg
92F45865-8A1B-4811-A069-47CF0D124CD9.jpeg
272EF174-D406-48DD-8E5E-624683A7C773.jpeg
A506497E-7DE7-4005-8E91-208F9C75134A.jpeg
B4BA2460-6295-48D0-A2FF-1DB8340D7A17.jpeg

86 ssinit
Ok I’m bored . I got a new camera with a micro lens .
D49A8A51-CD5B-41A3-B64E-4F9EEA69E310.jpeg
B27DA862-EABE-43BC-ACE7-175B69C346B0.jpeg
D7FDA5B3-2BAA-40D3-841D-64302A2CBE1E.jpeg
E71727A0-47F1-43D0-AA2A-12C74A23E3FF.jpeg
33A95A2C-7397-402B-A1D3-220967C38878.jpeg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
f2002
Replies
Views
jackywacky