October 2019 - Forum Upgrade Issues

ForceTen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love the new layout. My favorite upgrade is the hover over thread to see what it is, before having to open it.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@Mike i cleared cache and restarted ny phone note8 and im still not getting icons just the little boxes with a x

mohican

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally the new layout is awful, sorry. Before all the tabs were on one page and in line - things are really scattered. I have to use my phone bc I don’t have computer and the app never worked. What happened to the quick tabs at top? Navigation is really difficult for me and may be a deal breaker for me. It was so simple before.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
I really miss the new/recent post sidebar :(

I also miss being able to hover over the alerts and conversation buttons and get information.

usng Windows 10, firefox, laptop computer

Sadly this one now looks and acts much like all the other forums. I joined this one because it was unique and so easy to use, I am sure I will get used to it in time but sadly it has lost all that made it unique and simple to navigate. :(

I do appreciate all the hard work that went into making this switch but to be perfectly honest I wish it hadn't been done. I am sure others will feel different.
The true is hurt but it is true.I totally agree with you, it is harder to help In forum now.I am lost too.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So much of the useful information that was once at our fingertips with just a click now isn't. Before I could click on an avatar and get information that helped me help that member. Now I have to go to their profile page to get that information. I do like the fact that hovering over the title of a thread brings up the gist of the thread. Before this that only happened to threads on the sidebar.

I am afraid what might be the deal breaker for me though is the fact that I have to go full screen to see the sidebar. That huge expanse of white space messes with my eyes. As much as I love to be here helping folks I am afraid I might not be able to do as much of it now. As I have been typing this I have been going through the different colored screens to see if I can overcome the glare. I have never been fond of the darker backgrounds but the gray on gray might work even full screen.

I totally understand that it is impossible to please everyone and I am sure there are some that will love the changes. I am also sure and accept that there were reasons for this change or Mike wouldn't have gone through this much trouble to get it done. Thank you for all the hard work you put into keeping this forum running smoothly.

edited to add: OK someone is messin' with me. The sidebar is gone again. I looked for a toggle switch to turn it on in case I accidentally turned it off but if it is there I sure can't find it :(

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mattgirl said:
So much of the useful information that was once at our fingertips with just a click now isn't. Before I could click on an avatar and get information that helped me help that member. Now I have to go to their profile page to get that information. I do like the fact that hovering over the title of a thread brings up the gist of the thread. Before this that only happened to threads on the sidebar.

I am afraid what might be the deal breaker for me though is the fact that I have to go full screen to see the sidebar. That huge expanse of white space messes with my eyes. As much as I love to be here helping folks I am afraid I might not be able to do as much of it now. As I have been typing this I have been going through the different colored screens to see if I can overcome the glare. I have never been fond of the darker backgrounds but the gray on gray might work even full screen.

I totally understand that it is impossible to please everyone and I am sure there are some that will love the changes. I am also sure and accept that there were reasons for this change or Mike wouldn't have gone through this much trouble to get it done. Thank you for all the hard work you put into keeping this forum running smoothly.

edited to add: OK someone is messin' with me. The sidebar is gone again. I looked for a toggle switch to turn it on in case I accidentally turned it off but if it is there I sure can't find it :(
I have always had a sidebar but I have never had the hover over the thread thing, that would be nice! ......I run PC on Chrome. Please don't leave Mattgirl! I like the dark myself, much easier on the eyes.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
StarGirl15 said:
I have always had a sidebar but I have never had the hover over the thread thing, that would be nice! ......I run PC on Chrome. Please don't leave Mattgirl! I like the dark myself, much easier on the eyes.
Thank you @StarGirl15 I don't plan on leaving but I may not be as active. It depends on how bad it is on my eyes.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi everyone.
I know this upgrade has meant lots of changes, some good some not so much so far & I know I’m not the only one that will need some time to get used to it but please let’s all give Mike some time to draw breath & fix/tweak things, you know he’ll do his very best to try & please everyone.
Having said all that let’s please keep this thread just for issues that Mike can add to his ‘To do list’, any other general chit chat about the changes please start a separate thread, thanks.

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mike said:
Hmm, I'm positive it is a caching issue and for some reason your device isn't pulling in the new css files.
I just want to let you know that it also shows the little squares on Microsoft Edge but the website looks like it should on Safari on my iPhone.

Edit: Still not working on chrome or edge

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I like the new look but not really a fan of the new reaction system. I miss being able to give someone an “agree” rating or a “thanks” rating. Other than that it’s great

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NC122606 said:
Awwww, why was this shrunk?
:;bananarow
(Banana Row)
The smilies/emojis all have a size defined that I need to modify to make them slightly larger. But that is an unusual one in that it is a really wide smiley.

smee82 said:
@Mike i cleared cache and restarted ny phone note8 and im still not getting icons just the little boxes with a x
This is an issue with font-awesome icons and how the forum is trying to preload them on your device to make pages load faster but your browser doesn't support the preload function. I made a change to how they load. Can you try clearing cache and refreshing? Could you try a different browser too?

mattgirl said:

I have to manually re-add those member fields for tank details to the member pop-up screen. Will try to get those re-added soon. Not sure what is going on with the sidebar for you. I know that if you have a smaller screen the sidebar will drop to the bottom of the screen though.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its pretty much garbage. The app doesn't work anymore, no new posts showing, error boxes due to im assuming ios default vice all platform. I tried the app on linux, win 10, and android and its garbage on all three. Due to the "family filter" i cant express my opinion in proper sailor speak. I will switch over to my software developer speak instead:

This is just like a Microsoft windows update. It moves things around and renames things uselessly. Additionally it adds features that "Might" appeal to the social media types.

The interface is broken and barely functions cross platform. Theres alot of tsr issues. The icons i pretty much just have to guess on. Pretty sire it is an ios thing.

All in all it is unusable from the app and using the webased version is just annoying. I appreciate that it took alot of "work". However, a rool back to the previous version would not disappoint.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mike said:
I have to manually re-add those member fields for tank details to the member pop-up screen. Will try to get those re-added soon. Not sure what is going on with the sidebar for you. I know that if you have a smaller screen the sidebar will drop to the bottom of the screen though.
I know you are working hard to get everything up and running as it should and I truly do appreciate all your hard work at keeping this forum running as well as it does.

The sidebar thing is really strange. The only place it shows up for me is on the main forum list page now. Yesterday it was on all pages. It could be my computer woke up in a whole new world today. I will learn to live with it though if it continues being this way. Thank you for looking into it.

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Found I couldn't log in with FB anymore. I registered and changed my password. Now when I click the password popup, it just goes to the site without hitting the login button. Maybe nothing to be concerned about, interesting.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I also cleared my cache and reloaded the site but still just bare boxes for me everywhere instead of icons.

I'm on Chrome on a pc running windows 10.

And I'd like to add my vote to returning all the ratings options which I miss tremendously. Except for maybe "welcome" (but then "you're welcome" buttons would be great) and the much less used 'creative' and 'optimistic' which were maybe not all that crucial.

Edit: A few new features that I do *really* appreciate btw: the little icons to show online status, the little icon to show scrolling through threads that you've posted in that thread (without having to actually click on and scroll through the thread), etc.

All the little kinks and bugs shouldn't count as votes towards the new site layout since they will get fixed, which I feel they are a little. It's easier to miss old features than discover how to handily use new ones. We should give it a bit of time.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't see the Avatars next to the threads anymore.... I do like that the top line stays up there and you don't have to scroll up to go to forums tab.

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't want this job, getting it set up is probably different for all the platforms... pc, laptop, ipad, phone. I have to give Mike credit for doing it.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Elkwatcher said:
I wouldn't want this job, getting it set up is probably different for all the platforms... pc, laptop, ipad, phone. I have to give Mike credit for doing it.
Its really not difficult. Especially not difficult of you do it in linux vice ios.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just tried jumping on my Android phone and it is telling me I don't have permission to reply to my own post. I uninstalled and reinstalled. Didn't work. Restarted phone still doesn't work. Does the new app version still look like the old one?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom