October 2019 - Forum Upgrade Issues

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks!

Yeah the trader add-on will be re-enabled at some point soon. I'm waiting to hear back from the developer so I can import the old trader ratings into the new system.
I'm just making a list of deficits/ things missing at this point, waiting and scratching things off as I see changes and reparations. I like a bunch of the new stuff! I'll offer input about anything left on my list when you say "almost done" Mike! My husband is a software engineer, he says "make a list and be patient" so...

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just tried jumping on my Android phone and it is telling me I don't have permission to reply to my own post. I uninstalled and reinstalled. Didn't work. Restarted phone still doesn't work. Does the new app version still look like the old one?
Hey stargirl, its not android friendly. At all. If it helps it isnt windows or linux friendly either so dont feel bad. All most of us see is gibberish garbage so youre not missing out.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey stargirl, its not android friendly. At all. If it helps it isnt windows or linux friendly either so dont feel bad. All most of us see is gibberish garbage so youre not missing out.
Working totally fine on my Windows 10 PC. Just not working on my phone right now.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Checkboxes are not working right. The check never appears and the 3 boxes next to your name at the top right don't have labels saying what they are for. Also if you read something from your alerts and then click to go back, it does not go back to the alerts list. Other than that, it works fine and is easily readable.

I'm using the new Chromium based Edge browser on Windows 10.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its pretty much garbage. The app doesn't work anymore, no new posts showing, error boxes due to im assuming ios default vice all platform. I tried the app on linux, win 10, and android and its garbage on all three. Due to the "family filter" i cant express my opinion in proper sailor speak. I will switch over to my software developer speak instead:

This is just like a Microsoft windows update. It moves things around and renames things uselessly. Additionally it adds features that "Might" appeal to the social media types.

The interface is broken and barely functions cross platform. Theres alot of tsr issues. The icons i pretty much just have to guess on. Pretty sire it is an ios thing.

All in all it is unusable from the app and using the webased version is just annoying. I appreciate that it took alot of "work". However, a rool back to the previous version would not disappoint.
Sorry you feel this way, but the previous version of the forum was no longer being supported, so the upgrade was not a frivolous thing. Running end of life software on an active forum is not a good idea.

We run xenforo which is ran by many of the biggest forums in the world. Looking at their code and how it is written/structured, they are excellent developers in my opinion and I've been a software engineer for the last 2 decades.

The app is another story and is developed by tapatalk. The way that app is developed is not the best unfortunately. I'll have to roll out new version of the app it looks like with this upgrade.

I know you are working hard to get everything up and running as it should and I truly do appreciate all your hard work at keeping this forum running as well as it does.

The sidebar thing is really strange. The only place it shows up for me is on the main forum list page now. Yesterday it was on all pages. It could be my computer woke up in a whole new world today. I will learn to live with it though if it continues being this way. Thank you for looking into it.
Ah, I see what the issue was there. It was only enabled to show on the main forum page. I enabled it to show on threads now too.

I don't see the Avatars next to the threads anymore.... I do like that the top line stays up there and you don't have to scroll up to go to forums tab.
Showing the avatars on all the pages imo was just bloat, used bandwidth and slowed the page load times so I removed them on most of the pages except the threads.

I just tried jumping on my Android phone and it is telling me I don't have permission to reply to my own post. I uninstalled and reinstalled. Didn't work. Restarted phone still doesn't work. Does the new app version still look like the old one?
I'll have to roll out new versions of the app. I'd just use the regular web version of the site in your mobile browser since it has all functionality.

I'm just making a list of deficits/ things missing at this point, waiting and scratching things off as I see changes and reparations. I like a bunch of the new stuff! I'll offer input about anything left on my list when you say "almost done" Mike! My husband is a software engineer, he says "make a list and be patient" so...
Yep, still actively tweaking things. :)

wd67

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Same here, I dumped the cache and nothing changed, just little squares that if you hit the wrong one can get you somewhere you don't want to go..

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry you feel this way, but the previous version of the forum was no longer being supported, so the upgrade was not a frivolous thing. Running end of life software on an active forum is not a good idea.

We run xenforo which is ran by many of the biggest forums in the world. Looking at their code and how it is written/structured, they are excellent developers in my opinion and I've been a software engineer for the last 2 decades.

The app is another story and is developed by tapatalk. The way that app is developed is not the best unfortunately. I'll have to roll out new version of the app it looks like with this upgrade.

Ah, I see what the issue was there. It was only enabled to show on the main forum page. I enabled it to show on threads now too.

Showing the avatars on all the pages imo was just bloat, used bandwidth and slowed the page load times so I removed them on most of the pages except the threads.

I'll have to roll out new versions of the app. I'd just use the regular web version of the site in your mobile browser since it has all functionality.

Okay, just one thing.... We used to be able to go to "Threads started by..." (I LOVE the colors!) the OP. It helps immensely when we're giving advice or assistance to know what issues the OP's already had without having to rehash what's already been 'hashed' lol!. Is that coming back?

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay, just one thing.... We used to be able to go to "Threads started by..." (I LOVE the colors!) the OP. It helps immensely when we're giving advice or assistance to know what issues the OP's already had without having to rehash what's already been 'hashed' lol!. Is that coming back?
Still there. In their profile beside "start conversation" is "find". (me too) Click that and you can see "all threads by x"

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Thank you Mike. I hated being so insistent but I use the sidebar constantly and was lost without it. It is working perfectly now. :)

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I just had the entire site broken for me, trying to load any pages (didn't matter what, whether profiles or threads or the home page) gave me the following error:

I cleared my cache and everything works again as normal, but there might be other people with the same issue who won't think to erase their history to fix it and can't get on here to ask what to do.

Edit: I broke it when I clicked an avatar to go to someone's profile

(please ignore my bazillion tabs, I was doing research)

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't look at fishlore on a phone. I'm on my desktop computer. All the little buttons have the same look so I can't tell by looking what they are (conversations, notifications, ---. every single button/icon/whatever you want to call it including all the buttons when you are typing a message). I hate having to highlight everything to try to figure out what it is. Even hovering my cursor over the button doesn't always pop up a name of what it is (eg conversations, notifications, etc.)

ETA: By checking back and forth, the worst culprits are Light and Dark. Utilizing Fishlore Blue, most of the buttons will show up.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just had the entire site broken for me, trying to load any pages (didn't matter what, whether profiles or threads or the home page) gave me the following error:

View attachment 627211

I cleared my cache and everything works again as normal, but there might be other people with the same issue who won't think to erase their history to fix it and can't get on here to ask what to do.

Edit: I broke it when I clicked an avatar to go to someone's profile

(please ignore my bazillion tabs, I was doing research)
That was from something I did - reset the cache on the server :)

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hum. I don't see a way to edit posts. I wanted to fix some typo and missing words from a post i made the other day and there is no edit button :(

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Posting this from the fishlore app. It seems to be working fine.

@jake37 try editing your post again. Posts lock after a week of no activity.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mike, anyway for you to implement a button (in preferences)that replaces the icons you put to a simpler icon that is easier to load? Lots of little boxes make it confusing.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm using an i7 desktop,
Edge browser,
Win10 Pro 1809 build 17763.805,
2560x1440 HP monitor

I see no icons above my reply window, but I do see the tips if I hover on them.
Dropdowns work too.
Maybe another color scheme will work for me.
(I haven't read all the other comments yet . . .)

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mike, anyway for you to implement a button (in preferences)that replaces the icons you put to a simpler icon that is easier to load? Lots of little boxes make it confusing.
What device and browser are you using?

I'm using an i7 desktop,
Edge browser,
Win10 Pro 1809 build 17763.805,
2560x1440 HP monitor

I see no icons above my reply window, but I do see the tips if I hover on them.
Dropdowns work too.
Maybe another color scheme will work for me.
(I haven't read all the other comments yet . . .)
I’m posting this from the edge browser, I normally use chrome or firefox. I’m seeing all icons.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom