October 2019 - Forum Upgrade Issues

• Admin

fishloreadmin

Admin
HI Fishloreans - wow, that was a huge upgrade! Took literally all day today and I'm still rebuilding indexes and tweaking things... Gonna be a long night and weekend. :)

Please post any issues in this thread and I'll try and tackle them as soon as I can. Some things have changed a lot, but much has stayed the same.

Thanks for your patience!
Mike
[EDIT] - Added by ryanr

To all, if you need to report an issue, to help speed things up, please state how you're viewing the forum. E.g. are you using the app, or via browser on mobile device, and state the browser you're using,

MusicalFishies

I’m loving exploring the new layout!!! Thank you!!!

Rcslade124

It's looking nice. Was having withdraws

Sheldon13

Rcslade124 said:
It's looking nice. Was having withdraws
Lol me too. Kept getting on every couple of hours like man, still not up? Lol

Coradee

Loving the new look though some of the smilies are a little big?

richiep

Lots more buttons to press I'm loving it, as usual mike you've done yourself and the forum proud,

ryanr

Looks good Mike
Are we missing a few icons and minor bits?
I'm seeing lots of little squares on buttons (browser = Chrome)
Is it just the CDNs need to be updated? There's a lot of errors in the console logs...

smee82

I'm not lovin thus update. Dont get me wrong I'm very appreciative of the the hard work mike and the mods do but I honestly prefer the old layout.

I'm not getting any icons or anything at all. I included a screen shot.

richiep

I think it's like everything it takes time to get used to it, when I upgraded to windows 10 I hated it now I wouldn't go back, so I think it's only fair to give it time and play about with menus, it's so easy not to like new or change but these things need to happen mostly to keep up with times

smee82

richie.p said:
I think it's like everything it takes time to get used to it, when I upgraded to windows 10 I hated it now I wouldn't go back, so I think it's only fair to give it time and play about with menus, it's so easy not to like new or change but these things need to happen mostly to keep up with times
Could be that its just new. I might like it better when the icons work for me but everything is so black. Or us it just black for me?

richiep

Probably like me you'll find there's buttons and menus you won't need and once you break that barrier things will become clearer as you'll just by pass them

Ronniethewitch

Is 'like' the only reaction we can give now? I love the new lay out in every other way! Job well done! Definitely worth all your hard work.

DecoyCat

hold your pointer over the Like button, it pops up icons to choose...

Wow love this layout Mike congrats! Bit lost and square buttons that I don't know what they are everywhere but cool, things will take time, good job!

Ravynn

Next to things like: report, like, quote, reply, and other links there are little squares but other than that things seem to be working. I'm on Google Chrome on a laptop.

Vallisneria

FWIW, the light background is pure white on my screen making the forum unpleasant to read. The dark background the text has the same problem. The blue is the best of the three but still too bright especially in comparison with the other forums I frequent. Also text size is much larger than any other forum I visit. I'm on SafarI on a desktop computer. Just my two cents, but thanks for all your work in offering this place to fish enthusiasts. I visit here frequently though mostly lurk.

Feohw

Very happy we have dark mode now. I do prefer some things about the old Fishlore, the overall look of the older one is what drew me to this site rather than other aquarium forums. More unique and easy on the eye imo. I just need to get used to this I'm sure.

A bit bummed out we lost informative, useful etc. We only have four now, whereas I thought we could have used more. I'm liking most of it so far though. I appreciate the work that must have gone into this.

pagoda

It's OK...but as someone who suffers extreme migraines, the harshness is a bit heavy going, I'm sorry

If there would be a way to soften it like before with a non-white background with a less sharp type...that would be good please

Sorry :(

mattgirl

I really miss the new/recent post sidebar :(

I also miss being able to hover over the alerts and conversation buttons and get information.

usng Windows 10, firefox, laptop computer

Sadly this one now looks and acts much like all the other forums. I joined this one because it was unique and so easy to use, I am sure I will get used to it in time but sadly it has lost all that made it unique and simple to navigate. :(

I do appreciate all the hard work that went into making this switch but to be perfectly honest I wish it hadn't been done. I am sure others will feel different.

86 ssinit

smee82 said:
Could be that its just new. I might like it better when the icons work for me but everything is so black. Or us it just black for me?
Hey smee82 all the way on the bottom of this page on the left side is a button to change from black to white to blue. All kind of bright but the blue does look a little like the old set up.

I’m on my apple ipad and the only icon to rate a thread I have is just the like button :(. Going to take awhile to figure it out but hey new is new :).

Feohw

86 ssinit said:
Hey smee82 all the way on the bottom of this page on the left side is a button to change from black to white to blue. All kind of bright but the blue does look a little like the old set up.

I’m on my apple ipad and the only icon to rate a thread I have is just the like button :(. Going to take awhile to figure it out but hey new is new :).
Press and hold over like and you'll get three other options besides like. I preferred the extra options before.

FinalFins

I cannot see the check marks in preferences. Don't know if I am getting emails or not bc I can't see the check marks.

Using Chrome on chromebook.

Mike

ryanr said:
Looks good Mike
Are we missing a few icons and minor bits?
I'm seeing lots of little squares on buttons (browser = Chrome)
Is it just the CDNs need to be updated? There's a lot of errors in the console logs...
smee82 said:
I'm not lovin thus update. Dont get me wrong I'm very appreciative of the the hard work mike and the mods do but I honestly prefer the old layout.

I'm not getting any icons or anything at all. I included a screen shot.
Ravynn said:
Next to things like: report, like, quote, reply, and other links there are little squares but other than that things seem to be working. I'm on Google Chrome on a laptop.
I'm doing lots of updates on the fly and your browser cache of the site needs to be updated. Try clearing cache and refreshing.

Feohw said:
Very happy we have dark mode now. I do prefer some things about the old Fishlore, the overall look of the older one is what drew me to this site rather than other aquarium forums. More unique and easy on the eye imo. I just need to get used to this I'm sure.

A bit bummed out we lost informative, useful etc. We only have four now, whereas I thought we could have used more. I'm liking most of it so far though. I appreciate the work that must have gone into this.
Will look into adding more reactions after some of the more critical functionality is taken care of.

mattgirl said:

I also miss being able to hover over the alerts and conversation buttons and get information.

Sadly this one now looks and acts much like all the other forums. I joined this one because it was unique and so easy to use, I am sure I will get used to it in time but sadly it has lost all that made it unique and simple to navigate. :(

I do appreciate all the hard work that went into making this switch but to be perfectly honest I wish it hadn't been done. I am sure others will feel different.
Thanks for the feedback :)

FinalFins said:
I cannot see the check marks in preferences. Don't know if I am getting emails or not bc I can't see the check marks.

Using Chrome on chromebook.
I'll look in to this.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Pescado_Verde

Not really a complaint and probably something that can be added when things settle down but I'm a desktop user and really liked having the floating "top of page" arrow in the lower right corner of the last version.

FinalFins

Here ya go mike.

Feohw

FinalFins said:
Here ya go mike.
Hmm. I'm not having that problem on PC or phone.

FinalFins

Could you screenshot?

FinalFins

Hmmm. Hope mike looks into it.

StarGirl

The dark is better than the light! I just don't like the brown trI'm color. I think it should be the FL aqua or blue. Haven't had any technical issues yet!

Elkwatcher

mattgirl said:

I miss that side bar as well.. change is always hard and the other forum template was awesome to get around in. Eventually this one will feel comfortable. As far as forums go though, Fishlore is one of the BEST I've ever been part of and I've pretty well abandoned the competition... great members and learning make this a fun place to be. The mods are excellent at their jobs too. :) Thank you for black mode Mike!

StarGirl

StarGirl15 said:
The dark is better than the light! I just don't like the brown trI'm color. I think it should be the FL aqua or blue. Haven't had any technical issues yet!
Well that was fast! Like it a lot better!

Mike

Pescado_Verde said:
Not really a complaint and probably something that can be added when things settle down but I'm a desktop user and really liked having the floating "top of page" arrow in the lower right corner of the last version.
Clear cache, refresh. I made it so that the goto top and bottom buttons show.

FinalFins said:
Here ya go mike.
Hmm, that has to be a caching issue. Try completely clearing cache and refreshing and then logging in/out again.

StarGirl15 said:
Agree, I didn't really like the plum color. Clear cache and refresh.

Elkwatcher said:
I miss that side bar as well.. change is always hard and the other forum template was awesome to get around in. Eventually this one will feel comfortable. As far as forums go though Fishlore is one of the BEST I've ever been part of and I've pretty well abandoned the competition... great members and learning make this a fun place to be. The mods are excellent at their jobs too. :) Thank you for black mode Mike!
Only on day 1.5 of making updates, we'll get there. :)

mattgirl

We have learned patience is necessary in all things in this hobby.

Even this part of it :D

kallililly1973

The change definitely makes the site a lot different as mattgirl said there was a lot of things that made the site simple to navigate and when you hover over the boxes its not saying what they are as far as alerts or conversations... will just need to get used to it. As long as the same great informative people are here along with the amazing mods and of course the Originator then it's all good in my book. Just one last thing it looks like trader history reviews have disappeared. Will they be re added or are they gone for good?

Mike

kallililly1973 said:
The change definitely makes the site a lot different as mattgirl said there was a lot of things that made the site simple to navigate and when you hover over the boxes its not saying what they are as far as alerts or conversations... will just need to get used to it. As long as the same great informative people are here along with the amazing mods and of course the Originator then it's all good in my book. Just one last thing it looks like trader history reviews have disappeared. Will they be re added or are they gone for good?
Thanks!

Yeah the trader add-on will be re-enabled at some point soon. I'm waiting to hear back from the developer so I can import the old trader ratings into the new system.

Elkwatcher

Can the latest threads and lastest post's on right hand side have a different background colour other than the same as the rest of the page (white ) to define them? My brain just doesn't think all this white! Can the smiley emoji's be enlarged for the sight impaired... listen to me, I'm whining now lol!

Mike

Elkwatcher said:
Can the latest threads and lastest post's on right hand side have a different background colour other than the same as the rest of the page (white ) to define them? My brain just doesn't think all this white! Can the smiley emoji's be enlarged for the sight impaired... listen to me, I'm whining now lol!
Ok, good idea on the sidebar. I made it a shade of gray. I'll have to see what I can do about the smilies sizes. Not sure on that one.

Elkwatcher

Thank you, now that's service! I like it! Where do we find member tank history now that used to be with our avatars Mike?

kallililly1973

One other thing I'll mention is if you had a signature and you don't now just go to your profile page and click signature and save and it will be back under your posts.

NC122606

Will we be getting Badges aswell? :)

Mike

Elkwatcher said:
Thank you, now that's service! I like it! Where do we find member tank history now that used to be with our avatars Mike?
I'll have to manually re-add that into the member view pop-up. Will do that maybe tomorrow?

NC122606 said:
Will we be getting Badges aswell? :)
Not sure on that one. Maybe, need to look into it.

Top Bottom