I Got A Chicken!!

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Holy heck I love Bantam Chickens! I'm hoping to raise some of my own once I have a place of my own.

Good luck and take good care of your new baby

BNBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Looks to be a silkie.
I’d love if she was a Silkie! They are so cute!

Holy heck I love Bantam Chickens! I'm hoping to raise some of my own once I have a place of my own.

Good luck and take good care of your new baby

I’m doing my best to take care of her. She’s in a Rubbermaid container with a heat lamp, shavings, a shallow container with food and another one with water. I got baby chick starter food and they said she didn’t need grit because the baby food was soft enough she wouldn’t have to grind it for digestion.

I have never had a chicken before so I hope I do everything right.

BusterBot28

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’m doing my best to take care of her. She’s in a Rubbermaid container with a heat lamp, shavings, a shallow container with food and another one with water. I got baby chick starter food and they said she didn’t need grit because the baby food was soft enough she wouldn’t have to grind it for digestion.

I have never had a chicken before so I hope I do everything right.
I have about 20 chickens (used to have 28 but some got old) and let me tell you that you HAVE TO HANDLE THEM. We have some that we held more than others when they were chicks and the ones we didn’t hold much are jerks but the other ones are sweet! And bantams are fun!

BNBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have about 20 chickens (used to have 28 but some got old) and let me tell you that you HAVE TO HANDLE THEM. We have some that we held more than others when they were chicks and the ones we didn’t hold much are jerks but the other ones are sweet! And bantams are fun!
I don’t think handling her will be any problem! I work from home so I’ll be here to watch her and don’t mind holding her. She climbed inside my shirt earlier and snuggled right in and went to sleep.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don’t think handling her will be any problem! I work from home so I’ll be here to watch her and don’t mind holding her. She climbed inside my shirt earlier and snuggled right in and went to sleep.
Heck yeah! I stayed on a farm once for a week and they had newborn chicks and bunnies that you could sit with for hours with them asleep in your palm

BNBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok, what I have learned so far:

She has feathered legs and five toes. She is a black bantam silkie.

She had a condition called pasty butt. Basically a clump of dried poop stuck to her butt I had to clean off with warm water. Let me explain something...I am a CITY girl. I moved to this small town in Alabama from Atlanta. So basically my first experience with a chicken is cleaning dried poop off it’s butt. It was an experience.

I also need to keep an eye on her because a number of things can cause pasty butt. It could be stress but it could also be not enough humidity or getting too hot or something else.

Since she is an only chick she will bond to me and I have to be prepared for that. Luckily I work from so we should be okay. I really do not think I am ready for a flock of chickens.

So that’s where we are. We are learning as we go. I love her and will do the best I can for her.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, what I have learned so far:

She has feathered legs and five toes. She is a black bantam silkie.

She had a condition called pasty butt. Basically a clump of dried poop stuck to her butt I had to clean off with warm water. Let me explain something...I am a CITY girl. I moved to this small town in Alabama from Atlanta. So basically my first experience with a chicken is cleaning dried poop off it’s butt. It was an experience.

I also need to keep an eye on her because a number of things can cause pasty butt. It could be stress but it could also be not enough humidity or getting too hot or something else.

Since she is an only chick she will bond to me and I have to be prepared for that. Luckily I work from so we should be okay. I really do not think I am ready for a flock of chickens.

So that’s where we are. We are learning as we go. I love her and will do the best I can for her.
How did you end up with her anyways?

BNBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
How did you end up with her anyways?
A lady at church got eggs for her kids 4H project or Boy Scout project or something. The other eggs didn’t hatch. Once this one hatched they didn’t want the chick. They just wanted to try and hatch them.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A lady at church got eggs for her kids 4H project or Boy Scout project or something. The other eggs didn’t hatch. Once this one hatched they didn’t want the chick. They just wanted to try and hatch them.
Oh ok! Any bird experts in the area you could consult? Bird are hard to care for at the best of times, and you never stop learning, but you might as well try to learn as fast as possible

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I always found rearing and raising chickens (most any fowl, really) to be quite easy. Chicks can be a little more delicate, but they grow up fast. But I haven't done it in so long that people might have different ideas on proper care nowadays. I think @Smalltownfishfriend or @candiedragon can be of help, if you're needing any additional advice or questions. I think that chick is in good hands.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cool! I had one a while back. It ended up being a rooster lol. It was so loud we had to rehome him. I don’t have a picture of him as an adult, but here he is when he was young lol
4731021A-48A9-4238-83AD-4F6361F8AD3F.jpeg

BNBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh ok! Any bird experts in the area you could consult? Bird are hard to care for at the best of times, and you never stop learning, but you might as well try to learn as fast as possible

Yes, luckily it’s a small town and there are people who keep chickens I can consult who can help. That’s how I learned about the grit thing lol

Cool! I had one a while back. It ended up being a rooster lol. It was so loud we had to rehome him. I don’t have a picture of him as an adult, but here he is when he was young lol
View attachment 537930

Oh my gosh!! That is the cutest thing ever!! I’m sorry you had to rehome him.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, luckily it’s a small town and there are people who keep chickens I can consult who can help. That’s how I learned about the grit thing lol
Oh, that's great news! I keep a budgie and unfortunately there's no local experts or avian vets within an hour or two drive, so I'm glad you have that community resource!

techfool

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
will it be hard to raise? i've heard stories about chickens. how they take over your life

BNBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
will it be hard to raise? i've heard stories about chickens. how they take over your life

It doesn’t seem like she will be hard to raise. The basics are keeping her warm and clean with plenty of food and fresh water. I can handle that.

I don’t know about the taking over your life part as I’ve only had her a few hours.

techfool

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It doesn’t seem like she will be hard to raise. The basics are keeping her warm and clean with plenty of food and fresh water. I can handle that.

I don’t know about the taking over your life part as I’ve only had her a few hours.
"Still Life with Chickens" is a wonderful book about keeping chickens. I hope she thrives.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom