I Got A Chicken!!

BabsandLoon

So long story short I ended up with a baby chicken today!

I YouTubed how to tell and I am fairly certain she’s a female. I’m also fairly certain she’s a bantam.

I named her Clary Sage.

Attachments

• D031424E-AB49-4135-9758-5512BEC9B021.jpeg
    D031424E-AB49-4135-9758-5512BEC9B021.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 187

Mary765

Holy heck I love Bantam Chickens! I'm hoping to raise some of my own once I have a place of my own.

Good luck and take good care of your new baby

goldface

Looks to be a silkie.

CandyCane701

It's so cute!

BabsandLoon

Looks to be a silkie.

I’d love if she was a Silkie! They are so cute!

Holy heck I love Bantam Chickens! I'm hoping to raise some of my own once I have a place of my own.

Good luck and take good care of your new baby

I’m doing my best to take care of her. She’s in a Rubbermaid container with a heat lamp, shavings, a shallow container with food and another one with water. I got baby chick starter food and they said she didn’t need grit because the baby food was soft enough she wouldn’t have to grind it for digestion.

I have never had a chicken before so I hope I do everything right.

BusterBot28

I’m doing my best to take care of her. She’s in a Rubbermaid container with a heat lamp, shavings, a shallow container with food and another one with water. I got baby chick starter food and they said she didn’t need grit because the baby food was soft enough she wouldn’t have to grind it for digestion.

I have never had a chicken before so I hope I do everything right.

I have about 20 chickens (used to have 28 but some got old) and let me tell you that you HAVE TO HANDLE THEM. We have some that we held more than others when they were chicks and the ones we didn’t hold much are jerks but the other ones are sweet! And bantams are fun!

BabsandLoon

I have about 20 chickens (used to have 28 but some got old) and let me tell you that you HAVE TO HANDLE THEM. We have some that we held more than others when they were chicks and the ones we didn’t hold much are jerks but the other ones are sweet! And bantams are fun!

I don’t think handling her will be any problem! I work from home so I’ll be here to watch her and don’t mind holding her. She climbed inside my shirt earlier and snuggled right in and went to sleep.

Mary765

I don’t think handling her will be any problem! I work from home so I’ll be here to watch her and don’t mind holding her. She climbed inside my shirt earlier and snuggled right in and went to sleep.

Heck yeah! I stayed on a farm once for a week and they had newborn chicks and bunnies that you could sit with for hours with them asleep in your palm

BabsandLoon

Ok, what I have learned so far:

She has feathered legs and five toes. She is a black bantam silkie.

She had a condition called pasty butt. Basically a clump of dried poop stuck to her butt I had to clean off with warm water. Let me explain something...I am a CITY girl. I moved to this small town in Alabama from Atlanta. So basically my first experience with a chicken is cleaning dried poop off it’s butt. It was an experience.

I also need to keep an eye on her because a number of things can cause pasty butt. It could be stress but it could also be not enough humidity or getting too hot or something else.

Since she is an only chick she will bond to me and I have to be prepared for that. Luckily I work from so we should be okay. I really do not think I am ready for a flock of chickens.

So that’s where we are. We are learning as we go. I love her and will do the best I can for her.

Mary765

Ok, what I have learned so far:

She has feathered legs and five toes. She is a black bantam silkie.

She had a condition called pasty butt. Basically a clump of dried poop stuck to her butt I had to clean off with warm water. Let me explain something...I am a CITY girl. I moved to this small town in Alabama from Atlanta. So basically my first experience with a chicken is cleaning dried poop off it’s butt. It was an experience.

I also need to keep an eye on her because a number of things can cause pasty butt. It could be stress but it could also be not enough humidity or getting too hot or something else.

Since she is an only chick she will bond to me and I have to be prepared for that. Luckily I work from so we should be okay. I really do not think I am ready for a flock of chickens.

So that’s where we are. We are learning as we go. I love her and will do the best I can for her.

How did you end up with her anyways?

BabsandLoon

How did you end up with her anyways?

A lady at church got eggs for her kids 4H project or Boy Scout project or something. The other eggs didn’t hatch. Once this one hatched they didn’t want the chick. They just wanted to try and hatch them.

Mary765

A lady at church got eggs for her kids 4H project or Boy Scout project or something. The other eggs didn’t hatch. Once this one hatched they didn’t want the chick. They just wanted to try and hatch them.

Oh ok! Any bird experts in the area you could consult? Bird are hard to care for at the best of times, and you never stop learning, but you might as well try to learn as fast as possible

Guanchy

Chickens!!!! I'm dying to own some, sadly I live in NYC!

goldface

I always found rearing and raising chickens (most any fowl, really) to be quite easy. Chicks can be a little more delicate, but they grow up fast. But I haven't done it in so long that people might have different ideas on proper care nowadays. I think Smalltownfishfriend or candiedragon can be of help, if you're needing any additional advice or questions. I think that chick is in good hands.

Bryangar

Cool! I had one a while back. It ended up being a rooster lol. It was so loud we had to rehome him. I don’t have a picture of him as an adult, but here he is when he was young lol

4731021A-48A9-4238-83AD-4F6361F8AD3F.jpeg

BabsandLoon

Oh ok! Any bird experts in the area you could consult? Bird are hard to care for at the best of times, and you never stop learning, but you might as well try to learn as fast as possible

Yes, luckily it’s a small town and there are people who keep chickens I can consult who can help. That’s how I learned about the grit thing lol

Cool! I had one a while back. It ended up being a rooster lol. It was so loud we had to rehome him. I don’t have a picture of him as an adult, but here he is when he was young lol

4731021A-48A9-4238-83AD-4F6361F8AD3F.jpeg

Oh my gosh!! That is the cutest thing ever!! I’m sorry you had to rehome him.

Mary765

Yes, luckily it’s a small town and there are people who keep chickens I can consult who can help. That’s how I learned about the grit thing lol

Oh, that's great news! I keep a budgie and unfortunately there's no local experts or avian vets within an hour or two drive, so I'm glad you have that community resource!

techfool

will it be hard to raise? i've heard stories about chickens. how they take over your life

BabsandLoon

will it be hard to raise? i've heard stories about chickens. how they take over your life

It doesn’t seem like she will be hard to raise. The basics are keeping her warm and clean with plenty of food and fresh water. I can handle that.

I don’t know about the taking over your life part as I’ve only had her a few hours.

techfool

It doesn’t seem like she will be hard to raise. The basics are keeping her warm and clean with plenty of food and fresh water. I can handle that.

I don’t know about the taking over your life part as I’ve only had her a few hours.
"Still Life with Chickens" is a wonderful book about keeping chickens. I hope she thrives.

BabsandLoon

She is a little sassy pants!

"Still Life with Chickens" is a wonderful book about keeping chickens. I hope she thrives.

Thanks! I’ll look into that book.
I hope she thrives too.

Attachments

• 2C8A06BE-CF3F-46DC-B8D8-3FB926707C64.png
    2C8A06BE-CF3F-46DC-B8D8-3FB926707C64.png
    597.9 KB · Views: 134

dojafish

Warmth, food, clean water, and keep the shavings clean and you should be well on your way.

They're not so delicate so long as they don't get too cold for too long or hadn't contracted something, speaking from experience.

I used to get some baby bird food from a pet store, for like baby parrots and whatnot, if the chick was especially young (no feathers at all). I'd eventually graduate them to chick crumble from a farm feed store, and then start implementing fruits, veggies, earthworms, mealworms, cockroaches, maybe some cooked rice, sometimes whatever I am eating into their diet.

Some chickens will have a favorite food, I had a little rooster who loved cockroaches, raised some baby junglefowls that loved the earthworms, my SO's aunt had a hen who loved cocoa with cracker apparently. They are an underrated pet, many of which can have unique personalities. Keeping a chicken as a pet can be surprisingly rewarding.

BabsandLoon

Warmth, food, clean water, and keep the shavings clean and you should be well on your way.

They're not so delicate so long as they don't get too cold for too long or hadn't contracted something, speaking from experience.

I used to get some baby bird food from a pet store, for like baby parrots and whatnot, if the chick was especially young (no feathers at all). I'd eventually graduate them to chick crumble from a farm feed store, and then start implementing fruits, veggies, earthworms, mealworms, cockroaches, maybe some cooked rice, sometimes whatever I am eating into their diet.

Some chickens will have a favorite food, I had a little rooster who loved cockroaches, raised some baby junglefowls that loved the earthworms, my SO's aunt had a hen who loved cocoa with cracker apparently. They are an underrated pet, many of which can have unique personalities. Keeping a chicken as a pet can be surprisingly rewarding.

Thanks!! I was wondering if I could feed her other foods. I picked up a starter/grower food at the supply store.
The only thing that I’m concerned about is the grit issue. I know as long as I’m feeding the starter food she doesn’t need it. But if I add other foods to her diet she will need it??

dojafish

Oh I just got a better look at the pic, it definitely looks like a silkie.
Thanks!! I was wondering if I could feed her other foods. I picked up a starter/grower food at the supply store.
The only thing that I’m concerned about is the grit issue. I know as long as I’m feeding the starter food she doesn’t need it. But if I add other foods to her diet she will need it??
Yes, once you start feeding her other treats you should provide her with grit. Theres different stages of how fine or coarse the grit should be for the chicken as it grows, so be sure it's not going to be too fine since it might just pass right through the system.

Try not to get any grit that has added calcium to young chickens less than 5 months old. Too much calcium is not good for the young ones, but it will be necessary as a hen matures and starts laying eggs.

BabsandLoon

I am awake at 1:30 in the morning with a chicken in my shirt. She is in my shirt because that’s the only way I could get her to stop beeping. I’m a woman so I will let you guess where she is happily nestled sound asleep. I also have chicken feed in my shirt.

Well we made it through our first night. She is up bright and early this morning happily beeping and pecking away at breakfast.

I am in love with her.

Also I learned she sometimes sleeps as pictured. In her food bowl (I think I am going to tractor supply today and see about an actual chicken feeder so she can’t sleep in her food) and all sprawled out like a super model. I panicked at first and thought she was dead. Nope. She was just channeling her inner Marilyn Monroe.

Attachments

• C9E75CB5-F9FF-4151-B9D6-914EC76212BD.jpeg
    C9E75CB5-F9FF-4151-B9D6-914EC76212BD.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 120

Mary765

Heck I really want a chick of my own now! You're so lucky to have such a precious girl on your hands

BabsandLoon

Heck I really want a chick of my own now! You're so lucky to have such a precious girl on your hands

She is something. She’s a funny little thing.

I’m going to Tractor Supply today to see what they have as far as a better set up for her. Never ever thought I’d be excited to go to Tractor Supply lol

My only concern right now is I have not seen her drinking. I’ve seen her eating but as far as I know she hasn’t drank water on her own. She drank a little from an eye dropper this morning.

-Mak-

Precious!! I love chickens, we have a little flock of three that live in our backyard.

IMG_1767.JPG
IMG_1774.JPG
IMG_1884.JPG

In the past we've had to raise single chicks when we were adding to the flock, they certainly do bond to you but they get so lonely as soon as they can't see you. They're flock animals and need to be near another living creature if not their own species, I hope you make sure your little one is always near someone

BabsandLoon

Your little flock is so cute!!

Luckily I work from home so Clary can always be near me if she wants.

Well we’ve made it a solid 24 hours.
Things are going well. We are both still alive so that’s a plus.

I’ve already learned the difference between her sweet content just being a baby chicken little beeps and her “Holy mother of God get over here quick my entire world is falling apart!” beeps.

I went to Tractor Supply and got a better heat lamp and those chicken feed and water things which have helped a TON. She is eating and drinking much better now.

I also got a feather duster. She loves it! Sometimes she just runs around it and plays with it, sometimes she pecks at it like it’s of the devil and mostly she snuggles with it.

Attachments

• 0A677D66-CEAC-48DA-906E-C2840F366001.jpeg
    0A677D66-CEAC-48DA-906E-C2840F366001.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 127

fish 321

Me and my family one hatched around 25 chickens and it was a blast. They were really fun and easy to take care of. The one thing that was not very fun was at night when they would chirp and peck at the side at their box, and as stated holsing them a lot creates friendly chickens.

Also if you ever have a problem with it going in the water you could put some marbles in it.

BabsandLoon

So Clarys new thing is that when I put my hand in her brooder she will either come and back up into it or she will come and lay her head on it so I can rub it.

She also “calls” me and when she does this and I say something to her she immediately settles down and goes back to doing whatever she was doing. Like she just needed to make sure I was still around.

Mary765

So Clarys new thing is that when I put my hand in her brooder she will either come and back up into it or she will come and lay her head on it so I can rub it.

She also “calls” me and when she does this and I say something to her she immediately settles down and goes back to doing whatever she was doing. Like she just needed to make sure I was still around.

Oh! Birds do that! They call out to their flock to make sure everyone is ok and not lost or injured. When she calls out to you, she considers you part of her family and wants to know you are ok. My budgie does the same, so congratulations! She's bonded to you!

BabsandLoon

I also got her a feather duster. She LOVES it.

Attachments

• F2B30649-9FBF-4075-86DF-913175E2B1E8.jpeg
    F2B30649-9FBF-4075-86DF-913175E2B1E8.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 111
  • DD98F52C-A156-4075-80A3-FB5AC4330F76.jpeg
    DD98F52C-A156-4075-80A3-FB5AC4330F76.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 114

BabsandLoon

Well we survived another night and this is our first work day together.

So far so good. She is playing in her brooder with her feather duster and a couple of little plastic balls. She occasionally calls out to me and I answer and she goes right back to whatever she was doing.

She has learned to hop and jump which is probably the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. She will also stand up and stretch her neck waaaaay up to try and peek over the top of her brooder.

It work and certainly not all sunshine and roses but so far raising a chick isn’t nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be. We have both relaxed a little and that has helped too.

I do not think raising a chicken is for everyone. But so far it seems to be working out okay for us.

So far so good today. Getting her that feather duster was the best thing ever.

When she is content and happy she sounds like a cricket.

I have gotten plenty of work done today. I just sit and chat away with her while I work.

It’s still early in the game but I think we may be okay.

BusterBot28

We had to bring our chicks inside once because it got too cold outside and one of our cats got on top of it. I will worn you though that when she gets older those beeps turn into REALLY loud sounds. Especially when she starts bragging about laying an egg

Attachments

• 7EDBB2B6-B617-41E0-AF7E-508ADC8DA3AE.jpeg
    7EDBB2B6-B617-41E0-AF7E-508ADC8DA3AE.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 106

BabsandLoon

I love her.

Attachments

• 03B62932-0B45-4854-9410-C5FBA3EDDB46.jpeg
    03B62932-0B45-4854-9410-C5FBA3EDDB46.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 126

BabsandLoon

We survived another day.

She is settling in nicely and more of her personality is starting to come through.

She liked to “help” me work and she is starting to want to explore a little more.

She still does her soft little cricket noises. I really think it’s just part of who she is.

She likes to snuggle with her feather duster and with me of course. She has little Pom poms she likes to toss around.

She is just a sweet little chicken. She rode in my pocket today while I fed the fish and she would pop her little head out and watch them for a minute or so.

I had to put a top on her brooder today. She is MAD. I thinking suddenly having something over top of her like that scares her.

She escaped her brooder TWICE today. I have no clue how she got out either time.

I tried moving her to a dog crate but she is so tiny she just waltzed right out.

She is still way too tiny for a coop. A cardboard box would be a fire hazard with the heat lamp.

I guess I’m off to find a taller Rubbermaid container that is long and wide enough.

Chicken life.

So she is now running the place

Attachments

• 4A4B1836-1C74-4A6A-BA76-8BC086FF9662.jpeg
    4A4B1836-1C74-4A6A-BA76-8BC086FF9662.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 00A552AE-9EE4-42B1-A4AA-A1E6919A193A.jpeg
    00A552AE-9EE4-42B1-A4AA-A1E6919A193A.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 113
  • CB4BBA88-64E1-47AA-B7AD-7156CAABEDC6.jpeg
    CB4BBA88-64E1-47AA-B7AD-7156CAABEDC6.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 108

Mary765

So she is now running the place

As she should be! Glad natural order had returned..

-Mak-

By the way, what method did you use to sex her? Vent sexing is extremely difficult and wing sexing only works on certain breeds on their 2nd-3rd day of age

RainBetta

I'm a little late here, but congratulations!

trahana

Chickens are flock animals, being a single baby chicken is pretty stressful. You should get a second, as the fatality rate is higher for singles chicks, to the point tractor supply that sells chicks won't sell less then 3.
Otherwise, congratulations! Chickens are super fun to have a raise! I have a flock of four currently, they have such different personalities.

Amynnas

congrats on your little cutie. she is so adorable

BabsandLoon

By the way, what method did you use to sex her? Vent sexing is extremely difficult and wing sexing only works on certain breeds on their 2nd-3rd day of age

I just wing sexed her. I am very aware I could be wrong and she could very well be a he. Sexing is difficult on silkies plus I have never even seen a chicken in real life until now let alone sexed one. I am not about to even attempt vent sexing.

Chickens are flock animals, being a single baby chicken is pretty stressful. You should get a second, as the fatality rate is higher for singles chicks, to the point tractor supply that sells chicks won't sell less then 3.
Otherwise, congratulations! Chickens are super fun to have a raise! I have a flock of four currently, they have such different personalities.

Yes I am aware of that. She is doing extremely well though. We are reading and researching and learning lots and doing our absolute best despite our not “ideal” circumstances. She is very rarely if ever alone. She has toys and a feather duster to snuggle with and even watches other chickens on the iPad. She did NOT like the chicken in the mirror though. That was a big nope. She is eating, drinking, pooping and has lots of energy and like to boss everyone around.

Nikki2577

I love this thread!! So cute!

BabsandLoon

When you wake up...yawn...stretch...and then think to yourself, “What is scratching me??” Then you realize there is CHICKEN FEED in your bed.

Seriously. I don’t even know how that happened.

Chicken life.

BabsandLoon

Today we argued. I don’t know what her deal was with my iPhone but I wasn’t allowed to have it on today. I usually work sitting on my bed with my phone laying on the bed and my laptop and other stuff in front of me.
Clary was running around on the bed playing.
I got a phone call so I did what I normally do and put it on speaker and left it where it was.

If you ever wondered if a chicken foot can work a touch screen the answer is YES. She hung up on someone not once, but THREE times. She was just not taking calls today.

Chicken life.

Mary765

Ah, I found that out the hard way too. I was using my phone to read important notes for the practice test I was doing, and my budgie flew over to me, landed on my phone, and closed the tab.

It was a 300 something page document I had to scroll through to find the right notes again

BabsandLoon

Ah, I found that out the hard way too. I was using my phone to read important notes for the practice test I was doing, and my budgie flew over to me, landed on my phone, and closed the tab.

It was a 300 something page document I had to scroll through to find the right notes again

Aren’t they funny?

I told her she cannot be doing that. If mama doesn’t work Clary doesn’t eat! Lol

Amynnas

LOL I love this thread. If I didn't have so many animals already it would make me consider a chicken for the comedy relief. LOL Clary sounds like a wonderful chicken.

BabsandLoon

Some of Clary’s feathers are starting to come in. She is still itty bitty tiny though.

I bought her a new brooder with taller sides that *should* be escape proof. I was going to set it up today but Clary decided it would be more fun to snuggle and read.

She still LOVES her feather duster. I bought another one today so I can keep one washed and she can keep one in the brooder.

I wish I’d had my phone handy so I could have gotten a video of her running across the floor like a streak of lightning with a pompon in her beak.

She’s also started standing up and stretching her little neck up to try and find me when she can’t see me. It’s funny. Sometimes I hide just to watch her do it.

I think I fall more in love with her every day.

Chicken life.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Chicken farmer
  • Bird
Replies
Views
Cognity7
  • Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • BananaBean