I Got A Chicken!! - Page 3

BabsandLoon

So Clary is going to see to it I stay single forever.

Last evening I was on the phone with a potential interest (henceforth known as PI).

The first part of the conversation was wonderful. The last part of the conversation went like this:

PI: What is that beeping noise?

Me: oh that’s Clary. She’s my chicken. She makes that noise a lot. Always has.

PI: You have a chicken?

Me: Yes. She’s really great and no troub.....DANG IT, CLARY DON’T YOU DARE MAKE A POOPIE ON THAT! WHAT DID YOU DO?? WHY?? I needed that for work, Clary. You can’t just make poopies wherever you want.

PI: Well I’ll let you go. Sounds like you have your hands full over there.

*sigh* I guess it’s better to find out early on they can’t handle a chicken.

Chicken life. She’s worth it.

Amynnas

If It makes you feel any better BN, since my divorce my dog demon has made it very clear no other man besides him is allowed in the house. He has sealed my single life until he passes with teeth and growls. LOL Guess he knows better really.

BabsandLoon

Dating is tough after divorce and then your pet decides you don’t need to. I feel you!

I explained to Clary that I am in my 40s now AND left Atlanta for this small town in Alabama. It’s slI'm pickings as it is. I don’t need her giving me a reputation as some half crazed chicken lady.

Amynnas

I totally feel for ya on that one. It will get better as she settles in or worse comes to worse you'll be like me and be the crazy pet lady that takes in strays and these forums are the extent of human contact for you. LOL God I wish I was joking.

BabsandLoon

I think I’m there already.

Other than occasional phone calls with clients this forum is pretty much it.

david1978

Don't take this the wrong way. When you said your in your 40's my first thought was wow your old. After realising I'm in my 40's too it doesn't sound so old.

Amynnas

Don't take this the wrong way. When you said your in your 40's my first thought was wow your old. After realising I'm in my 40's too it doesn't sound so old.
Shoot I'm almost in my 50's. 40 is not old.

BabsandLoon

ldman:So basically we are just a bunch of old folks who’s only social interaction is on a fish forum talking about a chicken?

david1978

Pretty much. Oh and doctor appointments. Lol

Evee

We FINALLY made it home last night! We had a great time!!

Clary made some new friends and did really well with other people saying hello to her. One person was even able to hold her.

She is starting to look like a chicken. I am both proud and sad. I will miss my little chick but I can’t wait to see her grow into a beautiful chicken.

She got a new foraging/dust bathing thingy. I put chinchilla dust and alfalfa hay in it and she had a blast!

Also it’s time for a new brooder, a lid, or some kind of indoor coop. Miss Clary can now get out of this brooder. I’m not sure what I want to do. Now that she doesn’t need to be under a heat lamp 24/7 she is really only in there to sleep at night. I need to think in this one. Any ideas anyone wants to toss out would be appreciated.

These pics were taken this weekend at the cabin.

Awwwwwwwww soooo cute!!!! ❤️❤️❤️

Amynnas

ldman:So basically we are just a bunch of old folks who’s only social interaction is on a fish forum talking about a chicken?
Yes BN that about sums our lives up nowadays LOL and don't forget work cause none of us have retired yet so we sit at work bored out of our minds on a fish forum talking about a chicken. And eyeing a bunch of bettas from my betta breeder cause she just got 600 new fish in. OMG the dilemma.

BabsandLoon

Well....Clary and I are up at the cabin (so internet is spotty) but the temporary digs I made for her are not going to work. I left her here while I ran to get something to make for dinner and came back to find her prancing around like she owns the place.

I work from home so I don’t even get to socialize then. Sometimes she get to call a client but most of my work is done through email.

Now I have to figure out what to do with this chicken. She has escaped from two brooders and now has escaped from a modified dog kennel. I don’t know what to do. The only times she has to be confined is at night or when I am not here. I’m still keeping her heat on just in case but honestly I don’t think I need to anymore. I looked at a coop that was small enough I could keep it in the house but she is still small enough to fit through the wire so if she was good and determined (and trust me when I tell you she can be VERY determined). That leaves a bird or small animal cage and I just hate to do that.

Chicken life.

Amynnas

Have you thought about using chicken wire around the dog kennel she escaped and just make sure when fitting it to the kennel use zip ties to make it easier to remove later and nothing for her to get cut on. Gotta keep Clary safe. I use chicken wire on my patio to keep my pets from peeking through the bars and it works well. She shouldn't be able to squeeze through those holes and chicken wire is cheap.

BabsandLoon

That’s what I was thinking too...chicken wire.

We had a HORRIBLE night. It stormed like crazy and Clary would not settle down and go to sleep. She was still awake at 2am.

I ended up putting the kennel in the bed and covering it with a blanket then snuggling with her until she was good and asleep. Once she was asleep I put her in and she is still sleeping in there.

Today I’ll see if there is a hardware store or tractor supply or somewhere to get some chicken wire.

Amynnas

I'm sorry you and Clary had a rough night. The chicken wire should do the trick you can get it at any Home Depot Ace Hardware I need supply store. I found some even at Walmart

Cheesecake

I don’t need her giving me a reputation as some half crazed chicken lady.

Half-crazed?
Chickens are the underrated animal of the pet world. They are often much smarter then we take them for.

BabsandLoon

Half-crazed?
Chickens are the underrated animal of the pet world. They are often much smarter then we take them for.

Clary is very smart. She’s only a month old and has already figured out that if she hits the latch on the kennel enough times it will pop open and she can waltz out. So now, on top of adding chicken wire so she can’t escape, I also have to run a dowel through the latch.

Daniebaby

Sorry you're having a hard time with your beautiful chicken. She will probably continue to escape and be stressed when alone. I've had a few times I had to bring a chicken in for medical care. They usually f
Clary is very smart. She’s only a month old and has already figured out that if she hits the latch on the kennel enough times it will pop open and she can waltz out. So now, on top of adding chicken wire so she can’t escape, I also have to run a dowel through the latch.

Do you have a clip or hook? Like something you sometimes find on keychains... They work to secure kennel doors quite easily if you don't have the time to move the chicken wire and dowel in place and you need her secured in a pinch, it works.

BabsandLoon

That’s a good idea. I didn’t think about those hook/clip things.

Clary and I had a MUCH better night. I think the issue the night before was the storm. She was perfectly fine yesterday and last night and seems fine this morning.

I need to get a picture of her tail. It looks like a bunny tail. Just a little puff ball on her butt.

Amynnas

Can't wait to see the pics of Clary camping. Not too often you have a chicken that goes camping. Bet shes just eating up the attention from momma. Have a great trip BN.

Cheesecake

I wonder if she likes S'mores......

BabsandLoon

Sadly we will never know if Clary likes S’mores because I don’t like them. I LOVE toasted marshmallows. I like graham crackers. I like chocolate. I do not like them combined.

This trip wasn’t great. It stormed Saturday. It rained off and on all days Sunday. The storm pushed in a cold front so it was cold yesterday.

Clary and I both spent our camping trip lounging around watching movies. I got a little work done but not much.

Here are pictures of the creek, the peacock that lives at the campground where the cabin is and one of Clary longing like a super model.

Attachments

• 6C0F3788-C437-4A5A-B0C7-BE1E9CF24677.jpeg
    6C0F3788-C437-4A5A-B0C7-BE1E9CF24677.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 107
  • C1CA598C-72DB-493C-B528-D5ED4655B73F.jpeg
    C1CA598C-72DB-493C-B528-D5ED4655B73F.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 108
  • BA0021D7-E1A0-498A-80B5-5CA759056A2A.jpeg
    BA0021D7-E1A0-498A-80B5-5CA759056A2A.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 108

Cheesecake

Sadly we will never know if Clary likes S’mores because I don’t like them. I LOVE toasted marshmallows. I like graham crackers. I like chocolate. I do not like them combined.

This trip wasn’t great. It stormed Saturday. It rained off and on all days Sunday. The storm pushed in a cold front so it was cold yesterday.

Clary and I both spent our camping trip lounging around watching movies. I got a little work done but not much.

Here are pictures of the creek, the peacock that lives at the campground where the cabin is and one of Clary longing like a super model.

She's so big now ! There's just a PEACOCK living at the campgrounds?!

Amynnas

Omg look at her little bunny tail..has she met the peacock? Not that I would suggest that..peacocks can do some damage. The place is beautiful. No wonder you go there so much. Sorry it rained on you. Hopefully next time will be nice. Hugs to our little clary looking all grown up.

BabsandLoon

She's so big now ! There's just a PEACOCK living at the campgrounds?!

There are THREE peacocks that live there. The adult male in the picture, His name is Mr. P, and there is also a juvenile male and a juvenile female. I don’t know their names.

Clary has NOT met the peacock. He tolerates people (as in he doesn’t chase anyone). The juveniles pretty much stay clear of everyone. No idea where they came from. Mr. P has been there for years.

Attachments

• 53EE2B58-BC4B-42A1-B4B9-CBF2CDD05D8B.jpeg
    53EE2B58-BC4B-42A1-B4B9-CBF2CDD05D8B.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 1F9B0D78-D702-4B11-AF58-89D41FE4E14A.jpeg
    1F9B0D78-D702-4B11-AF58-89D41FE4E14A.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 106

Amynnas

She is just so stinking adorable.

Cheesecake

There are THREE peacocks that live there. The adult male in the picture, His name is Mr. P, and there is also a juvenile male and a juvenile female. I don’t know their names.

Clary has NOT met the peacock. He tolerates people (as in he doesn’t chase anyone). The juveniles pretty much stay clear of everyone. No idea where they came from. Mr. P has been there for years.

That level of cuteness rivals puppies and kittens.

BabsandLoon

So on top of adjusting to single life, moving to another state, moving from a big city to a small town, losing most of my clients and trying to hold on to the few who stayed with me and establish new clients in a town that has no clue what I even do....I also decided now would be a great time to go back to school (advanced neuro linguistic programming and cognitive behavior theory).

I’m working on this paper...and working on this paper...and working on this paper. CLARY decides this paper is taking up too much of my time and walks across the keyboard promptly deleting half of what I’ve done. Luckily I saved last night so I actually only lost a couple paragraphs but still.

She’s laying on the bed taking a nap now because what else would you do after you made your mama mad? Crazy chicken.

Amynnas

You sound like you have your plate really fully BN. Good luck on the new degree and hopefully Clary (the little dickens) will calm down and let you get done what you need to.

BabsandLoon

Clary and I ended up having a good rest of the day yesterday. After my little meltdown I think she realized that she maybe pushed me a little too far because she was an angel after that.

I’m thinking of making her a little playground (like those kind you can buy for parrots). She could have a little scratching/foraging area at the bottom and a perch or two. I could have some shiny things dangling and maybe a little bridge or a swing. I read that Silkie Chickens don’t roost but I’ve noticed Clary likes to be on my shoulder or up on top of the pillows. I could add a little ladder/ramp and perches of different heights.

That is the life of Clary the Chicken. She makes her mama mad and instead of getting in trouble she gets a playground. Lol

Amynnas

That's the way clary should get it lol..spoiled baby but too cute to stay mad at her long..that's the story of any pet owner

BabsandLoon

That's the way clary should get it lol..spoiled baby but too cute to stay mad at her long..that's the story of any pet owner

Agreed.

I mean just look at her...

Attachments

• 5BB58134-318E-4098-8983-18270BDFDF44.jpeg
    5BB58134-318E-4098-8983-18270BDFDF44.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 104

BabsandLoon

Clary is just fine thank you.

Ugh. I understand that everyone is passionate about their pets. Truly I do. I love my dogs and my bettas and of course my sweet Clary.

But WHEN did it become okay to insult someone’s intelligence and make them feel bad simply because they are doing something differently than you?

Now I understand if what you are doing is not good for or harming the pet. For example, it is not healthy to keep a betta in a small unheated unfiltered container. Since it’s a common myth that bettas will be fine in those conditions I would never make someone feel bad for doing it. I’d just politely try to educate them.

So today I had Clary with me in the front yard. This woman walking her dog sees her and of course stops to talk. Once she found out Clary was an only chicken AND she lives in the house this woman lost her mind.

She practically yelled at me accusing me of emotionally abusing Clary. She said chickens HAVE to be kept outside and in a flock to be happy. They will die of loneliness and boredom. It’s just cruel to keep a single chicken.

I listened to her for a few minutes then asked how many chickens she had. She stated she had none. So I asked if she’d had chickens in the past. Nope. She’s never owned chickens. Well then lady, what the heck makes you an expert?

First of all, almost ALL birds are flock animals and that’s what chickens are...birds. However we think nothing of keeping a single macaw or other parrot in the house. Just because we associate chickens with farms and in flocks doesn’t mean that a chicken can’t be happy alone and inside. People who live in areas where they see parrots in flocks outside instead of in pet stores probably feel the same way about them.

Second, obviously Clary isn’t sitting inside locked in a cage all day. NO bird would be happy in those conditions. Clary is out all day with me and goes outside when weather permits. I mean, she goes CAMPING for goodness sakes!

Third, Clary is sweet and affectionate and curious. She is showing absolutely NO signs of being stressed or unhappy. While is IS very bonded to me she doesn’t seem to be overly bonded and is perfectly happy doing things on her own. She is a healthy happy chicken.

Ok I feel better now. I just needed to vent/rant/get it off my chest.

Bettaish

Sorry, people are just rude sometimes

BabsandLoon

Sorry, people are just rude sometimes

I know. And I DO appreciate her concern for Clary. But maybe she should have asked about Clary’s living conditions or something before she went fifteen kinds of crazy.

Amynnas

I know. And I DO appreciate her concern for Clary. But maybe she should have asked about Clary’s living conditions or something before she went fifteen kinds of crazy.
People are like that BN. Dont let it get to you or get you down. Clary looks like a very well cared for chicken and has the best mommy in the world.

BabsandLoon

People are like that BN. Dont let it get to you or get you down. Clary looks like a very well cared for chicken and has the best mommy in the world.

Thanks. I love my little fluffy nugget. I try to do everything I can to make sure she is happy.

BabsandLoon

Here is a picture of a chicken...asleep on my pillow...snuggling with a stuffed pig (don’t ask about the pig lol).

She fell asleep watching Netflix.

She’s all snuggled in and sleeping hard. You can’t even tell what part of her is what lol

Attachments

• 47A0A545-CA7A-4CC4-8B58-0BA09190BF79.jpeg
    47A0A545-CA7A-4CC4-8B58-0BA09190BF79.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 102

Amynnas

Here is a picture of a chicken...asleep on my pillow...snuggling with a stuffed pig (don’t ask about the pig lol).

She fell asleep watching Netflix.

She’s all snuggled in and sleeping hard. You can’t even tell what part of her is what lol
Awwww its a sleeping Clary. Momma you need to not let her stay up so late LOL Rules, bedtimes, you know all the things baby chickens love to ignore. Shes beautiful.

BabsandLoon

I try. I really do. She is going through some independent teenage phase.

So I’m feeding the bettas. Clary is helping per usual. I put the container down to adjust the filter in Henry’s tank and...you guessed it. Clary was happily gobbling down betta pellets.

Google says it won’t harm Clary. She’ll probably just have some stinky poops. Great.

I have started putting a small container of grit down for her because she is starting to eat foods other than her chick starter/grower. She had a little bit of oatmeal this morning and she likes to steal things out of my salads.

Silly little chicken.

Amynnas

LOL Betta pellets shouldn't hurt her, they're mainly made up of insects which might even be good for her but I sure wouldn't make a diet of it. What a bratty little teenager shes becoming LOL. But she'll never give you a boring moment. Hugs to little Clary.

BabsandLoon

Clary and I had a good day yesterday and we both slept better last night than we have in a while.
We woke up this morning feeling much better.

I’ve been a little down lately so this morning Clary and I have decided that what we need is a good old fashioned spring cleaning and purge.

I cleaned Clary’s space with white vinegar, water and lemon essential oil (I googled to make sure it was safe).

I read a book called “The Life Changing Method of Tidying Up” by Marie Kondo and so we are using that method.

I want to get everything done because this weekend Clary and I want to go camping. We didn’t go this past weekend and think Clary was a little confused lol.

I’m also going to start back on the elliptical machine and start running again. I was thinking of trying to find a pet stroller with the jogging wheels on it so I can run with Clary. I just don’t want to spend a fortune on one because I’m not really sure if I WANT to run with Clary or if I just want to take that little bit of time just for me. Do I run with my chicken or not? Lol

Chicken life.

BabsandLoon

Also she is growing up!

Attachments

• 29ED3713-1252-45C6-9595-0935C1813BB4.jpeg
    29ED3713-1252-45C6-9595-0935C1813BB4.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 101

Amynnas

wow look at those beautiful tail feathers! As for whether to run with Clary or not, I would say its up to Clary. If she throws a total fit when you leave and it stresses her out it might be better to just take her with you. Check out chewy for one of those strollers. They are usually fair in price. Glad you had a much better last few days and I hope it continues.

BusterBot28

I try. I really do. She is going through some independent teenage phase.

So I’m feeding the bettas. Clary is helping per usual. I put the container down to adjust the filter in Henry’s tank and...you guessed it. Clary was happily gobbling down betta pellets.

Google says it won’t harm Clary. She’ll probably just have some stinky poops. Great.

I have started putting a small container of grit down for her because she is starting to eat foods other than her chick starter/grower. She had a little bit of oatmeal this morning and she likes to steal things out of my salads.

Silly little chicken.

I have heard people say chickens can’t eat things a lot for example tomato’s ( I don’t remember if they had to be ripe or not) but my chickens jump 2-3 feet in the air just to get those tomato’s (ripe or not) and they also eat elderberry green which is poisonous to humans. I think they know what is bad and what is good because we throw mice that our cats catch into the chicken coops and they eat them but we throw a dead copper head in there and they throw a complete fit!!! They wouldn’t move until I took it out AND buried it! So don’t worry about little Clary eating random things.

BabsandLoon

I have heard people say chickens can’t eat things a lot for example tomato’s ( I don’t remember if they had to be ripe or not) but my chickens jump 2-3 feet in the air just to get those tomato’s (ripe or not) and they also eat elderberry green which is poisonous to humans. I think they know what is bad and what is good because we throw mice that our cats catch into the chicken coops and they eat them but we throw a dead copper head in there and they throw a complete fit!!! They wouldn’t move until I took it out AND buried it! So don’t worry about little Clary eating random things.

Thanks! She has started the past few days just snatching things I have...whether it’s food or not. She’ll just snatch it run. She can jump up high too.
I eat a plant based diet and I have just started not putting any foods that are on the “toxic for chickens” list on my plate. That way if she snatches something she’ll be okay.

david1978

Sounds like a toddler.

BabsandLoon

So today was my first day back in the gym. I think I’m dying. I think my body invented some new muscles or something. Even my eyelashes are sore.

My mother is visiting so I put Clary in her bed and fixed the door so she couldn’t get out. I told my mother NOT to go in there. Just listen and if she sounds like she’s panicking and/or having a come apart to go in and get her. Otherwise just leave her be so we can see how she does.
Clary did great. My mom said she didn’t hear a peep out of her. She said she even finally went in and checked on her because she was so quiet she was worried she was either into something or dead. Clary was just up on her perch playing with a toy.

I’m proud of the little nugget for being a big girl.

Amynnas

How is Clary and momma doing? Feeling any better after the gym last week?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Chicken farmer
  • Bird
Replies
Views
Cognity7
  • Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • BananaBean
  • Bird