I Got A Chicken!! - Page 4

Daniebaby

Any new pictures of the baby chicken?

BabsandLoon

Clary is growing. The feathers are coming in on her head. She definitely looks like she’s going through her awkward stage.

We are still camping but going home tomorrow night.

I’m not as sore as I was. The gym is getting easier. It may be a minute before I get back to running like I want. My knees are just like, “Um...no. We aren’t doing this.” I’m going to have to work and talk them into it.

Attachments

• EED45FB5-6A10-48DE-965A-3831412BEB49.jpeg
    EED45FB5-6A10-48DE-965A-3831412BEB49.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 104

fish 321

Clary is growing. The feathers are coming in on her head. She definitely looks like she’s going through her awkward stage.

We are still camping but going home tomorrow night.

I’m not as sore as I was. The gym is getting easier. It may be a minute before I get back to running like I want. My knees are just like, “Um...no. We aren’t doing this.” I’m going to have to work and talk them into it.
How big is she?

Amynnas

Shes starting to really come into her own BN. Shes looking really good. Hope your knees start to cooperate. LOL. Running has never been in my blood so I can't relate on that. I'm more of a walker, hiker, horseback riding type girl.

Fishcat

Oh, she’s a pretty one! Do you think she’s going to be completely black when she has all her adult feathers?

BabsandLoon

How big is she?

When she stands up really tall she is maybe 8 inches tall or so. She isn’t very big at all but is definitely bigger than the itty bitty ball of grey fluff she was when I brought her home.

Amy, I hope they start cooperating too! Running gives me time to clear my head. I do enjoy hiking and have considered horseback riding lessons. Horses intimidate me a little. I think they are beautiful amazing creatures, I’m just a little nervous around them.

Fishcat, I’m not sure if she is going to black or a dark greyish blue color. My iPhone doesn’t really capture her true color so she is a little different than she appears in the pics.

She is getting sassier by the day. She LOVES paper. She will grab a sheet and run with it. She loves anything shiny. She also LOVES food. I have to put her up when I eat because she will go nuts trying to get my food....all kinds of jumping and beeping and wing flapping. She’s a crazy little chicken nugget.

fish 321

When she stands up really tall she is maybe 8 inches tall or so. She isn’t very big at all but is definitely bigger than the itty bitty ball of grey fluff she was when I brought her home.

Amy, I hope they start cooperating too! Running gives me time to clear my head. I do enjoy hiking and have considered horseback riding lessons. Horses intimidate me a little. I think they are beautiful amazing creatures, I’m just a little nervous around them.

Fishcat, I’m not sure if she is going to black or a dark greyish blue color. My iPhone doesn’t really capture her true color so she is a little different than she appears in the pics.

She is getting sassier by the day. She LOVES paper. She will grab a sheet and run with it. She loves anything shiny. She also LOVES food. I have to put her up when I eat because she will go nuts trying to get my food....all kinds of jumping and beeping and wing flapping. She’s a crazy little chicken nugget.
I was just wondering because she looks so fluffy for her size usualy our chickens have a lot of their feathers by that size but since yours is a fancy I think they are supposed to look fluffy, I just got seven chicks myself.

BabsandLoon

Yes she is a silkie so believe it or not that fluff you see IS her feathers. Her feathers are coming in on her head now and before long her head will look just like her fluffy little tail.

Her feathers come in like little pins like normal feathers but they don’t have barbs like normal feathers so once the wax sheath comes off they just fluff out.

fish 321

Yes she is a silkie so believe it or not that fluff you see IS her feathers. Her feathers are coming in on her head now and before long her head will look just like her fluffy little tail.

Her feathers come in like little pins like normal feathers but they don’t have barbs like normal feathers so once the wax sheath comes off they just fluff out.
I always wanted a silke but apparently they are not very good egg layers, I do have one chicken that its feathers go in the opposite dirrection and it is so cute but I forgot what they are called.

BabsandLoon

Yeah the hens only lay maybe 3 or so eggs a week. However they can be used to hatch other eggs because most of them tend to be broody.

Clary hasn’t started laying yet. We still have a little ways to go for that so I’m only able to answer what I’ve read in research.

I do know that their eggs are smaller than a normal chicken egg but they are edible. I don’t know what I will do with eggs once Clary does start laying.

fish 321

Yeah the hens only lay maybe 3 or so eggs a week. However they can be used to hatch other eggs because most of them tend to be broody.

Clary hasn’t started laying yet. We still have a little ways to go for that so I’m only able to answer what I’ve read in research.

I do know that their eggs are smaller than a normal chicken egg but they are edible. I don’t know what I will do with eggs once Clary does start laying.
Eat them?

BabsandLoon

No. I eat a plant based diet so I don’t eat eggs.
I guess I could pass them on to someone who would though.

fish 321

We use our chicken for eggs but if we name them they turn into pets to. We usualy cycle our chickens because they stop laying after a certain age so every two years we get new chickens and eat the older ones. here is a pic of our new araucanas, there are different varieties of them I am really curious what the black one is going to look like and am especially excited for the blue araucana.
20190427_175254.jpg

BabsandLoon

Oh my gosh they are so cute!!!

I love little fuzzy chickens!

I googled Araucania and they are pretty! I hope you get a blue one too!

fish 321

Oh my gosh they are so cute!!!

I love little fuzzy chickens!

I googled Araucania and they are pretty! I hope you get a blue one too!
I love their fluffy faces I am pretty sure the gray one in the corner is a blue araucana.

BabsandLoon

I love that little red headed one in the middle (the one where you can see the beak).

fish 321

I have to show this picture it was so cute. A while back when we were growing out our chicks we decided to get another one later on so the new chick took the black one as a mother and cuddled under her.
IMG_0847.JPG

fish 321

I love that little red headed one in the middle (the one where you can see the beak).
That is the one I named "fluffy face" my sisters and their friends named the rest.

BabsandLoon

Awe!!! That is the sweetest picture!

Since Clary is an only chicken I gave her a feather duster when she was a baby. She still cuddles and sleeps with it.

fish 321

When ever we hold the chicks they chirp really loudly until you put them back with their buddies. It sounds like you spoil your chick a little much.

BabsandLoon

Well she IS spoiled. I spend a lot of time with her and do things to make her feel happy and comfortable since she’s an only chicken.

fish 321

You should try hatching some chicks if you have access to fertilized eggs my family did it before and it was so cool watching the chicks hatch and the newborn chicks were the cutest things I ever seen we did have a few eggs that did not hatch but we new that was bound to happen.

BabsandLoon

I do plan on doing that once I figure out where I want to move and settle down.

Right now I’m not able to have more chickens but as soon as I can I plan on having a small flock.

Rtessy

If the eggs are infertile and edible, most neighbors and food banks will accept them. The neighbors may get tired of eggs after a little while though, lol. We used to have someone bring us a giant bowl of eggs every week, and we ended up having a hard time using them! He also kept peacocks with the chickens to protect them, so maybe those can be your next eggs

fish 321

We did about 35 meat chickens before and will never do it again those chickens are so genetically modified and so messy it is pretty cruel that they were made that way. They grow so fast some just plop over dead probably from a an heart attack and they get so big they can hardly walk so no more geneticly modified chickens for me.

BabsandLoon

Rtessy, that’s what I plan on and hope they don’t get tired of them! I also have some families at church that I am sure will gladly accept them.

Fish, that’s horrible! I think I will definitely stick to bantams even if I don’t stick to silkies. There are some black frizzle Cochins (I think that’s what they are called) that I really like and wouldn’t mind having a small flock of them.

fish 321

Another really pretty chicken we used to have is a silver laced wyandotte.

BabsandLoon

Those are pretty! Are they a smaller breed?

fish 321

Those are pretty! Are they a smaller breed?
Yes at least ours did not get very big.

BabsandLoon

Clary’s attitude today:

I pick her up to love on her and she’s kicking her feet and flapping her wings and beeping and just all “put me down! I don’t need your love! Leave me alone! Stop!”

I put her down and walk two steps away from her and she’s all “Wait! Where ya going?? Why are you leaving me? MAMA WAIT!!”

Chicken life.

BabsandLoon

Tonight Clary is absolutely refusing to sleep in her bed.
She is currently under the covers in my bed snoozing away.
I pick her up and put her in her bed and her eyes pop open and she has a come apart.

I was about to say I didn’t know what her deal was but I just remembered we are supposed to have storms coming in. She ALWAYS acts all crazy like this when there are storms.

My own little weather chicken.

david1978

Growing up my grandparents had chickens. I don't remember what they were but they were mean little chickens. They were tasty though.

BabsandLoon

I’m glad Clary isn’t mean. Obnoxious yes but she isn’t mean.

So apparently she is little miss independent who can get on and off the bed all by herself like she’s grown or something.

I was standing in the kitchen talking to my grandmother and here comes this little grey ball of fluff waddling through like she owns the place. She walked over, helped herself to some cat food, got a drink of the cat’s water and looked at us like “What?”

I said, “Clary Sage! Come on with me back in this bedroom!” She just waddled along right behind me and when we got in she hopped back up on the bed and laid down like nothing had happened.

So now I have to keep the door closed because if she can jump up on the bed I’m sure she can jump up and over a baby gate.

Side note: the cat belongs to my grandmother and is no threat to Clary. She’s far too old, fat and lazy. I still don’t think she even knows there is a chicken in the house. If it doesn’t involve food, the litter box or the bed she isn’t interested.

BabsandLoon

Clary and I have been super busy. We weren’t able to go camping last weekend and I don’t see us being able to go this weekend either.

I did want to pop on and share why sometimes it’s hard to get things done with Clary. I was writing and taking notes and she came and just plopped down right where I was working.

Chicken life.

Attachments

• 9C9D514F-550C-4710-AA75-0C75B652484C.jpeg
    9C9D514F-550C-4710-AA75-0C75B652484C.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 113
  • A4A0FE30-1C21-4443-BA44-C57CF303DD51.jpeg
    A4A0FE30-1C21-4443-BA44-C57CF303DD51.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 113

Mary765

Oh wow she is a big girl now! I hope you're enjoying your time with her

Annie59

She is probably wanting to roost to sleep now Cute lil chicken by the way!

BabsandLoon

She is probably wanting to roost to sleep now Cute lil chicken by the way!

Silkies actually don’t usually roost from what I’ve read.
She has a place to do that if she wants, but she prefers to sleep on her side with her feet sticking out. She’s a weirdo chicken.

Annie59

We had silkies and they will roosts if the giving the chance, well most will lol. We had some that would fly into lower hanging branches from shrubs or trees and roost there. But not all chickens are the same rotfl.

BabsandLoon

We had silkies and they will roosts if the giving the chance, well most will lol. We had some that would fly into lower hanging branches from shrubs or trees and roost there. But not all chickens are the same rotfl.

Oh wow! I wonder if maybe I should make a couple different places to roost just in case she just doesn’t like the one she has?

Chickens are 100% brand new territory for me. Clary and I are just winging it here lol

She has just always slept on her side with her feet sticking out. Sometimes she’ll lay on her back in my lap and go to sleep while I stroke her feet. She loves a good foot rub.

Annie59

Some chickens just refuse to be "chickens" lol. Won't harm them if they don't But I would make a couple in different areas maybe just "in case" she decides she wants to. She may never roost. Like I said, some will, some just won't lol. We had different breeds of chickens and some would just sleep in a nest.

BabsandLoon

What? Your chicken doesn’t spend a Friday evening binge watching Netflix?

Attachments

• 4271B486-6133-48B4-A387-CF7A7A01A40D.jpeg
    4271B486-6133-48B4-A387-CF7A7A01A40D.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 117

Daniebaby

Oh the adventures of Clary are hilarious

I have 4 cats and several chickens. Once the chickens are a few months old they seem to be mean enough to hold their own. Only two of my cats get along with the chickens. The other two have been pecked enough times to stay far away from them. I'm glad your pets live in harmony.

Has Clary been able to dust bathe yet? Have you ever seen those chicken harness things? Is she laying any eggs yet?

BabsandLoon

Oh the adventures of Clary are hilarious

I have 4 cats and several chickens. Once the chickens are a few months old they seem to be mean enough to hold their own. Only two of my cats get along with the chickens. The other two have been pecked enough times to stay far away from them. I'm glad your pets live in harmony.

Has Clary been able to dust bathe yet? Have you ever seen those chicken harness things? Is she laying any eggs yet?

Clary has a dust bathing station. She gets in it and scratches around but hasn’t taken an actual dust bath yet. She has it available if she chooses.

I have seen those chicken harnesses. We are waiting for Clary to finish growing and my mother is going to make some harnesses and some diapers for her.

She is not laying yet. From what I’ve read it takes Silkies a little longer (again I would like to state that I am not a chicken expert and everything I think I know I’ve gotten from online research and just from observing Clary) to mature and lay.

Daniebaby

Clary has a dust bathing station. She gets in it and scratches around but hasn’t taken an actual dust bath yet. She has it available if she chooses.

I have seen those chicken harnesses. We are waiting for Clary to finish growing and my mother is going to make some harnesses and some diapers for her.

She is not laying yet. From what I’ve read it takes Silkies a little longer (again I would like to state that I am not a chicken expert and everything I think I know I’ve gotten from online research and just from observing Clary) to mature and lay.
Sounds like you are doing amazing with her!!! Seems like she's a happy chicken.

BabsandLoon

Thanks. I’m trying. She is a great little chicken and I love her dearly.

BabsandLoon

I just did what was probably once at the very top of the list I could NEVER EVER imagine myself doing...
Cutting a chickens toenails

I’ve used a nail file on Clary’s before but I’ve never actually cut them until this morning.

Clary did GREAT. She sat still and just let me do it. Probably because she was just like “What on earth are you doing??”

I was a nervous wreck. First it was hard to find her actual toes because I think she has more feathers on her feet and legs than she does anywhere else on her body. Then I was worried about cutting them too short and making them bleed. Her toenails are black so the light trick didn’t work.

We survived. She got a nice little pedicure.

BusterBot28

I just did what was probably once at the very top of the list I could NEVER EVER imagine myself doing...
Cutting a chickens toenails

I’ve used a nail file on Clary’s before but I’ve never actually cut them until this morning.

Clary did GREAT. She sat still and just let me do it. Probably because she was just like “What on earth are you doing??”

I was a nervous wreck. First it was hard to find her actual toes because I think she has more feathers on her feet and legs than she does anywhere else on her body. Then I was worried about cutting them too short and making them bleed. Her toenails are black so the light trick didn’t work.

We survived. She got a nice little pedicure.

I didn’t know that you had to clip chicken nails. glad you and clary survived!

BabsandLoon

I didn’t know that you had to clip chicken nails. [ ] glad you and clary survived!

Well with chickens who are outside you don’t. They naturally keep them filed down by digging and scratching around on the ground, etc.

Since Clary lives in the house they don’t get filed down naturally. So I either have to file them down with a nail file or clip them. Honestly just clipping them was a lot faster and seemed to go a lot smoother than when I filed them.
The hardest part was finding her toes in all of those feathers.

BabsandLoon

Spending some time outside acting like a real chicken

Attachments

• D1422E78-D337-433C-A888-2C587F33C1A0.jpeg
    D1422E78-D337-433C-A888-2C587F33C1A0.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 108
  • E0AAF818-2146-4367-B926-280F6175DE0B.jpeg
    E0AAF818-2146-4367-B926-280F6175DE0B.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 113

BabsandLoon

Following me back into the house like a good girl

Attachments