I Got A Chicken!! - Page 2

Nikki2577

Some of Clary’s feathers are starting to come in. She is still itty bitty tiny though.

I bought her a new brooder with taller sides that *should* be escape proof. I was going to set it up today but Clary decided it would be more fun to snuggle and read.

She still LOVES her feather duster. I bought another one today so I can keep one washed and she can keep one in the brooder.

I wish I’d had my phone handy so I could have gotten a video of her running across the floor like a streak of lightning with a pompon in her beak.

She’s also started standing up and stretching her little neck up to try and find me when she can’t see me. It’s funny. Sometimes I hide just to watch her do it.

I think I fall more in love with her every day.

Chicken life.

She sounds so awesome!

Rtessy

Aw, just found this thread, how wonderful! I raised some silkies a while back, theyre so cute!
Also, as for the excapes, I'm not sure how old yours is, but they can fly rather well for a few weeks. At least mine did. And by quite well, I mean 8-10 seconds, which is more than enough time to escape whatever you have them in, lol!

BabsandLoon

Her new big chicken brooder complete with poop even though I literally JUST put her in it.

For the record she is a lot like me when it comes to change. She is NOT up for it. She raised absolutely holy heck until I got her out and let her snuggle. We are going to have a fun night.

Attachments

• E10D7011-A7E7-4617-B581-8AFB9FC5B422.jpeg
    E10D7011-A7E7-4617-B581-8AFB9FC5B422.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 110
  • 191D3569-59DE-4ED9-A5E2-A39B6CADDF84.jpeg
    191D3569-59DE-4ED9-A5E2-A39B6CADDF84.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 116

Annie59

Aww cute
I have a chicken.
Mine is a house chicken. Her name's Pomroy and she is a small black banty. Chickens are easy to care for. We use to raise them. Just keep her warm and your pretty much on the right track.
They make excellent pets too.
Mine loves boiled potato skins as her treat.
Get your self some chick starter feed to start her out on. Gets them off to a good start. Most farm type stores carry chicken food. I never really stuck to those. Our's were free range chickens, but the one I have now I do get the food for chickens to make sure she gets all her goodies she needs, since she isn't outdoors all the time.
Good luck with your chick!

BabsandLoon

Aww cute
I have a chicken.
Mine is a house chicken. Her name's Pomroy and she is a small black banty. Chickens are easy to care for. We use to raise them. Just keep her warm and your pretty much on the right track.
They make excellent pets too.
Mine loves boiled potato skins as her treat.
Get your self some chick starter feed to start her out on. Gets them off to a good start. Most farm type stores carry chicken food. I never really stuck to those. Our's were free range chickens, but the one I have now I do get the food for chickens to make sure she gets all her goodies she needs, since she isn't outdoors all the time.
Good luck with your chick!

Clary is a house chicken too. She is on chick starter/grower feed. She isn’t quite old enough for treats yet. She’s not even 2 weeks old yet.
I’m glad to know someone else has a house chicken too!

Well our night started out a little rough. Clary was not impressed with her new brooder. She threw one heck of a tantrum. I mean she yelled and fussed until I was literally THIS close to just setting her old one back up.

Thankfully once I let her play and snuggle with me and get good and sleepy she settled down and went to sleep in the new one. Apparently today she loves it and it’s the best thing ever.

This one is big enough it should do her for a while so we don’t have to go through all that again for a good minute. Her old one was long and wide enough just not tall enough and she kept getting out. This one should be escape proof.

We had a very good day. Clary played and I worked. She even kept her beak shut while I made some phone calls. Super proud of her for that!

One of the phone calls I had earlier was a friend from Atlanta who nearly had a heart attack when she asked what I was doing and I told her I was checking my hair for chicken poop before I ran to the bank. She was just “Omg!! What have they done to you?!” LOL

Chicken life.

BabsandLoon

Clary is amazing.

I had a rough day today. Family drama (you know how much fun that can be). Clary was SO GOOD today!! She was sweet, loving and affectionate. She knew something was wrong and she made me feel better. She didn’t get in trouble and I didn’t have to pull her out of one single thing today.

Normally she behaves like a spoiled little brat. She makes me laugh with her antics but sometimes it can be a bit much. I mean she’s a kid and she acts like one. Not today though. Today she has been an angel and I have thanked the powers that be for her.

My Emotional Support Animal is a chicken

Chicken life

Edited to add: Even though she was an angel she pooped like a chicken. I had to clean her brooder twice today. Normally she makes little poops like a cockatiel or something. Not today. Today she was 100% chicken.

BabsandLoon

Clary learned today that she can jump/fly/climb up on my shoulder all by herself. So guess where she spent the majority of the day?

She also pooped on my phone.

She is finally growing a little (like noticeably) and her wing feathers are coming in as well as feathers on her feet.

She’s getting more adventurous and curious too.

My little chick is growing up.

It is soooo nice outside today. The sun is shining and it’s nice and warm.
I decided to take Clary outside for a bit.

Clary’s response to outdoors as a whole: “What the....??? Mom???”

Clary’s response to grass: “Nope.”

Clary response to a stick: “Nope.”

Clary’s response to a flower: “Nope.”

Clary’s response to soaking up the warm sunshine: “Nope. I’ll just sit here under my mom’s legs.”

Clary had to come in and take a nap. Ten minutes outside was just too much for her.

BabsandLoon

Y’all!!

My MAMA met Clary for the first time today.

Now, I have been accused by some people of spoiling Clary and babying her and not treating her enough like a chicken.

All I can say is those particular people ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

Now, Clary does not like to walk on pine shavings or grass or anything similar to those things. She likes paper towels, the floor, the bed and me.

My mama wasn’t here an hour before she was pulling fabric out of her car to and grabbing my sewing machine and making Clary pads for her brooder. They are softer than paper towels and can be tossed in the washer and sanitized.

She is also making Clary a tent she can sleep in just in case she’d rather sleep in that than in her feather duster. She said she needed to because Clary would eventually outgrow her feather duster.

I’m just going to sit back and let her do her thing.

Clary may be an only chicken but she hit the chicken jackpot because as of right now my mother is on Pinterest looking for “cute chicken coop ideas and accessories”

Nikki2577

Y’all!!

My MAMA met Clary for the first time today.

Now, I have been accused by some people of spoiling Clary and babying her and not treating her enough like a chicken.

All I can say is those particular people ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

Now, Clary does not like to walk on pine shavings or grass or anything similar to those things. She likes paper towels, the floor, the bed and me.

My mama wasn’t here an hour before she was pulling fabric out of her car to and grabbing my sewing machine and making Clary pads for her brooder. They are softer than paper towels and can be tossed in the washer and sanitized.

She is also making Clary a tent she can sleep in just in case she’d rather sleep in that than in her feather duster. She said she needed to because Clary would eventually outgrow her feather duster.

I’m just going to sit back and let her do her thing.

Clary may be an only chicken but she hit the chicken jackpot because as of right now my mother is on Pinterest looking for “cute chicken coop ideas and accessories”

Still awesome!!

Amynnas

your clary has a chickenma and chickgrandma, that is so awesome.

BabsandLoon

Clary went camping this weekend! We had a blast and she did amazing!

Ok, granted it was my kind of camping meaning it was in a cabin with electricity and a bathroom but it was in the WOODS (sort of).

Anyway I just packed up Clary and her brooder and away we went. She didn’t seem phased at all by new surroundings.

We spent the weekend relaxing and reading and napping. It was wonderful.

I’m glad to know she does well and I can take her with me.

Amynnas

I was wondering where the clary daily report was. I'm so glad you both had a nice relaxing weekend.

BabsandLoon

That website is great!!

BabsandLoon

Clary and I had a nice boring work day.

We definitely have plans to go back to the cabin.

She is super smart and knows how to give kisses. She also knows how to dial my phone.
She called her Nana today. I guess I’m going to have to quit leaving it where she can step on it.

I learned that I can no longer leave her to just hang out while I run to the bathroom or to get something to drink. I have to either put her in her brooder or bring her with me. She will come looking for me. When she finds me she jumps up and down and flaps her wings like “Surprise!! I found you!!”

Chicken life.

BabsandLoon

IMG_4958.JPG

Amynnas

she is such a cutie

Amynnas

pssstttt where's our clary report? LOL

BabsandLoon

LOL

Clary had a good day. She was very busy. She FaceTimed her Nana and showed her how she does the Chicken Cha Cha. She’s just being a chicken and scratching but it looks like she’s dancing.

Last night around 11:30 she had a complete come apart. I don’t know what happened. She is usually asleep for the night around 9 but all of a sudden she woke up and was banging her beak on the side of the brooder and kicking it and yelling.
I got her out and she snuggled with me and went right back to sleep. I’m not sure if something scared her or what. Once she was asleep I put her back in her brooder and she slept the rest of the night.

She has tons of feathers coming in all of a sudden too.

I also need to figure out some sort of dust bath option for her. She was acting like she was dust bathing earlier but she was doing it in a blanket. I guess it’s time for that. My baby chick-a-dee is growing up.

Amynnas

You can get sand I believe or chinchilla dust bath for her baths.

BabsandLoon

I was thinking about the chinchilla dust. I was just about to google and make sure it was safe for chickens. I don’t know why it wouldn’t be but I figured it’s safer to check.

Edited to add: chinchilla dust is perfectly fine for chickens

Daniebaby

I actually came to this area of the forum looking to see if anyone else has chickens

I have a few. My oldest 3 started to lay in December. They are amazing creatures with great personalities.

Chickens are incredibly social and it would be amazing if you could get her a friend or two. They are easy and cheap to come by at your local farm supply stores at this time of year. They also still bond to caregivers even if they have other chickens around. Something to consider if you work/ go to school and will be leaving her alone.

Any questions just tag or message me. I'm not a pro but my girls are doing great. I have some about the same age as yours.

BabsandLoon

I actually came to this area of the forum looking to see if anyone else has chickens

I have a few. My oldest 3 started to lay in December. They are amazing creatures with great personalities.

Chickens are incredibly social and it would be amazing if you could get her a friend or two. They are easy and cheap to come by at your local farm supply stores at this time of year. They also still bond to caregivers even if they have other chickens around. Something to consider if you work/ go to school and will be leaving her alone.

Any questions just tag or message me. I'm not a pro but my girls are doing great. I have some about the same age as yours.

Hi! It’s always great to meet others who love chickens!
Clary will be an only chicken and a house chicken. I work from home so I’m always with her. She just recently took her first weekend trip and did great!
Once I find my dream home I definitely plan on getting a small flock! For now though it has to be just Clary and I. She is doing GREAT! She is social but has adopted myself, my dogs and my mother as her flock. She is just a great little chicken!

Clary had an amazing day today. It was warm and pretty so we tried the outside thing again. She still refused to walk in the grass (she also refuses to walk on pine shavings so I have to use paper towels in her brooder) but she did seem to enjoy it more.
She also made a new friend. I got a delivery from UPS while we were outside and the UPS guy just loved her. I wish I’d thought of getting a picture of the two of them.

Also check out those little tail feathers she has coming in.

Attachments

• 3541557E-B9DD-478F-8895-7D835C57FB1D.png
    3541557E-B9DD-478F-8895-7D835C57FB1D.png
    382.8 KB · Views: 105

FrostedFlakes

Awww this reminds me of when I hatched and took care of chickens for my teacher. I had 3 silkies and other varieties I don't know the names of. So cute! I love them, but they're messy little guys. Unfortunately they couldn't stay in the area because it's illegal to have roosters and my teacher didn't want to split them up. Clary is soooooooooo cute!!

Amynnas

clary is turning into a real beauty. can't wait to see her all grown up.

BabsandLoon

OMG apparently I am not allowed to work today.

First she walked on my phone and disconnected a call.
Then she kept walking across the keyboard of the laptop and pecking keys.

I put her in her brooder where she proceeds to get the most annoying toy she has (a cat ball with a bell in it) and knock it around.

I got her out and she then grabbed the pen out of my hand and slung it.

I got on to her for being a brat and she stood there and looked at me with pure defiance in her eyes, squatted and pooped on the paper she was standing on. Luckily it was just a scratch piece.

She is now perched happily on my knee preening herself and watching The Dead Files on her tablet.

Chicken life.

Amynnas

LOL OMG clary is a brat but shes so cute its ok

BabsandLoon

LOL OMG clary is a brat but shes so cute its ok

I told her today that God made her cute for a reason and that reason was to keep me from going to jail for chicken abuse! LOL

BabsandLoon

And just like that she snuggles and gives kisses and goes night night.

Attachments

• 028D7283-2223-49EE-B37F-361A6DE8F6A4.jpeg
    028D7283-2223-49EE-B37F-361A6DE8F6A4.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 108

smee82

Now you made me want to get my daughter a chicken

BabsandLoon

Now you made me want to get my daughter a chicken

What I have learned about having a chicken as a pet is:
1) they are AMAZING and actually pretty intelligent and very loving

2) a ton of WORK - chickens are messy. I feel like I am constantly picking up chicken feed and poop and cleaning her brooder. Before I leave the house I have to do a “poop check” to make sure there is no poop stuck to my clothing or god forbid my HAIR

3) chickens are social animals and without a flock they become very bonded to their owners - Clary’s nickname is “Velcro”. This sounds sweet at first but can get annoying when all you want to do is work or relax and your chicken has a meltdown because all of your attention is not on her

4) chicken poop is gross and chickens poop a LOT MOST of the poop is solid but every so often they have one that is runny and messy and stinks to high heaven

5) baby chicks need a heat lamp the first 4-6 weeks. Since Clary sleeps in my bedroom (as an only chicken and me being her “flock” I feel it would be mean to make her sleep alone somewhere) it can get sweltering in here.

6) no more smell good sprays, candles or plug ins. I LOVE these things but they can hurt your chickens respiratory system

7) chickens are noisy. Clary constantly chatters and will flock call if she can’t see me. She will continue to flock call until I answer her or she can see me again. To be so little she can get pretty loud. I have had more than one client ask what the noise in the background was while I was on the phone lol

8) Chickens ate flock animals and really should not be kept alone. Clary is alone due to special circumstances. If I had gotten her in a different way and at a different time I would have done tons more research and gotten a small flock of 3-4. Clary is the first chicken I’ve ever even seen in real life (I am a city girl). She and I are literally just figuring this out as we go along. It’s a thousand wonders we have made it this far.

9) chickens dust bathe - a DUST bath. In the house. It actually isn’t as messy as it sounds but it is still a dust bath. In the house. While I don’t think Clary technically needs this (chickens do it to keep mites and lice away) since she is a house chicken, she was trying to dust bathe in a blanket and I felt it would be mean to deny her just because she is a house chicken. I just offer her chinchilla dust in a little tray.

I am sure I have forgotten some things. So while I do recommend chickens as pets, I don’t recommend keeping one chicken in the house. Clary is a LOT of time and work. She is absolutely worth it but I do wish the circumstances had been a little different so that I could have done things properly. It would have been much easier on both me and Clary. I post mostly positive stuff on here (and honestly most of our days are pretty good) but we have had some rough days (like yesterday) and some rough nights. Wait until you have to google “is chicken poop harmful to bettas” because your chicken insisted on being on your shoulder while you were taking care of the fish and she decided she couldn’t hold her poop long enough for you to put her down. Then you get to listen while she has a tantrum because you have to hurry and try to scoop out the betta, locate and try to scoop out the poop and then do a water change.
Fun times.

Chicken life.

BabsandLoon

And this is what I woke up to this morning

Attachments

• 1FC9B8B7-2A21-43B6-AF62-D654ABBC8C8C.jpeg
    1FC9B8B7-2A21-43B6-AF62-D654ABBC8C8C.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 109

Amynnas

momma where are you? momma...momma...MOMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I want out now! LOL Love clary the chicken

smee82

What I have learned about having a chicken as a pet is:
1) they are AMAZING and actually pretty intelligent and very loving

2) a ton of WORK - chickens are messy. I feel like I am constantly picking up chicken feed and poop and cleaning her brooder. Before I leave the house I have to do a “poop check” to make sure there is no poop stuck to my clothing or god forbid my HAIR

3) chickens are social animals and without a flock they become very bonded to their owners - Clary’s nickname is “Velcro”. This sounds sweet at first but can get annoying when all you want to do is work or relax and your chicken has a meltdown because all of your attention is not on her

4) chicken poop is gross and chickens poop a LOT MOST of the poop is solid but every so often they have one that is runny and messy and stinks to high heaven

5) baby chicks need a heat lamp the first 4-6 weeks. Since Clary sleeps in my bedroom (as an only chicken and me being her “flock” I feel it would be mean to make her sleep alone somewhere) it can get sweltering in here.

6) no more smell good sprays, candles or plug ins. I LOVE these things but they can hurt your chickens respiratory system

7) chickens are noisy. Clary constantly chatters and will flock call if she can’t see me. She will continue to flock call until I answer her or she can see me again. To be so little she can get pretty loud. I have had more than one client ask what the noise in the background was while I was on the phone lol

8) Chickens ate flock animals and really should not be kept alone. Clary is alone due to special circumstances. If I had gotten her in a different way and at a different time I would have done tons more research and gotten a small flock of 3-4. Clary is the first chicken I’ve ever even seen in real life (I am a city girl). She and I are literally just figuring this out as we go along. It’s a thousand wonders we have made it this far.

9) chickens dust bathe - a DUST bath. In the house. It actually isn’t as messy as it sounds but it is still a dust bath. In the house. While I don’t think Clary technically needs this (chickens do it to keep mites and lice away) since she is a house chicken, she was trying to dust bathe in a blanket and I felt it would be mean to deny her just because she is a house chicken. I just offer her chinchilla dust in a little tray.

I am sure I have forgotten some things. So while I do recommend chickens as pets, I don’t recommend keeping one chicken in the house. Clary is a LOT of time and work. She is absolutely worth it but I do wish the circumstances had been a little different so that I could have done things properly. It would have been much easier on both me and Clary. I post mostly positive stuff on here (and honestly most of our days are pretty good) but we have had some rough days (like yesterday) and some rough nights. Wait until you have to google “is chicken poop harmful to bettas” because your chicken insisted on being on your shoulder while you were taking care of the fish and she decided she couldn’t hold her poop long enough for you to put her down. Then you get to listen while she has a tantrum because you have to hurry and try to scoop out the betta, locate and try to scoop out the poop and then do a water change.
Fun times.

Chicken life.

We had chooks for eggs when I was young and a few of them where quite tame. If I do get some for her theyll be outside in a run not indoor chickens that's for sure, I could never have them indoors.

david1978

Yesito Chicken Harness Hen Size with 6ft Matching Leash – Adjustable, Resilient, Comfortable, Breathable, Small, Suitable for Chicken Weighing About 2.2 Pound,red (Small, Red)
For walks.

BabsandLoon

momma where are you? momma...momma...MOMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I want out now! LOL Love clary the chicken

That’s exactly it! Look how mad she is LOL

Yesito Chicken Harness Hen Size with 6ft Matching Leash – Adjustable, Resilient, Comfortable, Breathable, Small, Suitable for Chicken Weighing About 2.2 Pound,red (Small, Red)
For walks.

I love it. I bet my mom could probably make it!

Amynnas

Where is Clary??

BabsandLoon

We are still camping! Internet service is spotty at best.
I’m trying to get pictures of Clary this time but it keeps raining.

Amynnas

Well have a wonderful time and tell Clary her fans miss her.

BabsandLoon

We FINALLY made it home last night! We had a great time!!

Clary made some new friends and did really well with other people saying hello to her. One person was even able to hold her.

She is starting to look like a chicken. I am both proud and sad. I will miss my little chick but I can’t wait to see her grow into a beautiful chicken.

She got a new foraging/dust bathing thingy. I put chinchilla dust and alfalfa hay in it and she had a blast!

Also it’s time for a new brooder, a lid, or some kind of indoor coop. Miss Clary can now get out of this brooder. I’m not sure what I want to do. Now that she doesn’t need to be under a heat lamp 24/7 she is really only in there to sleep at night. I need to think in this one. Any ideas anyone wants to toss out would be appreciated.

These pics were taken this weekend at the cabin.

Attachments

• EB6AD39A-F44D-42A5-8937-C6D56701BA44.jpeg
    EB6AD39A-F44D-42A5-8937-C6D56701BA44.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 99FB0E2E-DB89-4D2B-9479-C2F3146B963E.jpeg
    99FB0E2E-DB89-4D2B-9479-C2F3146B963E.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 106
  • E94D4CAD-2DEC-40B3-98A5-EE00800AD67F.jpeg
    E94D4CAD-2DEC-40B3-98A5-EE00800AD67F.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 103

aced it

Awwwwww, she's such a little fuzzball! I can't believe how big she's getting!

Bettaish

Awww
This thread makes me want to get a chicken lol

BabsandLoon

Laying down to go night night. I think it’s the cutest thing ever.

Attachments

• 9689E741-B3D4-47BC-91EC-86529C8AD4A5.jpeg
    9689E741-B3D4-47BC-91EC-86529C8AD4A5.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 98

BusterBot28

We FINALLY made it home last night! We had a great time!!

Clary made some new friends and did really well with other people saying hello to her. One person was even able to hold her.

She is starting to look like a chicken. I am both proud and sad. I will miss my little chick but I can’t wait to see her grow into a beautiful chicken.

She got a new foraging/dust bathing thingy. I put chinchilla dust and alfalfa hay in it and she had a blast!

Also it’s time for a new brooder, a lid, or some kind of indoor coop. Miss Clary can now get out of this brooder. I’m not sure what I want to do. Now that she doesn’t need to be under a heat lamp 24/7 she is really only in there to sleep at night. I need to think in this one. Any ideas anyone wants to toss out would be appreciated.

These pics were taken this weekend at the cabin.
You should get her a chicken diaper when she gets older. They are awesome!

BabsandLoon

You should get her a chicken diaper when she gets older. They are awesome!

Her nana is planning on making her some. We saw some on a website that even have tutus attached!

Rtessy

I had some friends that litterbox trained their chicken. They just couldn't control where it laid it's eggs...

Amynnas

shes turning into such a beautiful young chicken..all props go to you chicken momma. its fun watching clary growing up.

BabsandLoon

Clary and I are leaving for the cabin in the morning.
I am trying to get work done. I had to give Clary her own pen so she would let me use mine. She didn’t like the pen I gave her. I just had to dig through drawers and my purse to find another pen EXACTLY like the one I am using and give it to her.

Chicken life.

Amynnas

Next clary will be writing you notes and throwing them out of her browser. Lol

BabsandLoon

She has spent her day stealing pens and pieces of paper and running in and out of her new but temporary enclosure and lounging on the bed.
She cracks me up the way she lays down and stretches out. She’ll lay on her side and stretch and roll on her back and stretch her legs out.

I am so grateful to have her in my life. She makes me so happy!

Amynnas

That was supposed to say brooder up above LOL silly phone autocorrect. LOL Clary sounds more like a dog then a chicken. So adorable.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Chicken farmer
  • Bird
Replies
Views
Cognity7
  • Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • BananaBean
  • Bird