Guru Badges - Page 3

jake37

Just in case you missed it when you see the list of badges each one has a little symbol with the number of people with that badge. If you click on that symbol it shows who holds the badge.

Thank you. Someone mentioned the help button before and for some dumb reason I couldn't find it. YAY!!!!!!! I finally did I never would have looked there for a list of Badges. I assumed it would take me somewhere to get help on using this forum. I was pleasantly surprised by what I found when I clicked on it. Now I know.

mattgirl

Just in case you missed it when you see the list of badges each one has a little symbol with the number of people with that badge. If you click on that symbol it shows who holds the badge.
Thank you. Yes, I noticed that right away. My biggest problem was finding the easiest way to get to the list.

Mike

Just added the "find a guru" button that shows on the sidebar for desktop/tablet users and at the bottom of the page for mobile users. The button shows on the forum listing pages and the thread view pages.

Coradee

Thanks Mike, useful addition

Lucy

He should get the Guru of Gurus badge Always adding neat stuff.

mattgirl

Just added the "find a guru" button that shows on the sidebar for desktop/tablet users and at the bottom of the page for mobile users. The button shows on the forum listing pages and the thread view pages.
Perfect. Thank you bunches. This is going to make it so much easier for folks to find it.

jake37

I was reading a thread in which folks were suggesting a person gives another person advice on something. And I was thinking - this person doesn't know what they are talking about yet their friend is suggesting they are an expert. And this made me realize there should be some sort of badge for people who consistently give bad advice so new readers know to not listen to them. And being the idiot i am i would gladly accept such a badge.

FishGirl115

I was reading a thread in which folks were suggesting a person gives another person advice on something. And I was thinking - this person doesn't know what they are talking about yet their friend is suggesting they are an expert. And this made me realize there should be some sort of badge for people who consistently give bad advice so new readers know to not listen to them. And being the idiot i am i would gladly accept such a badge.
You are not an idiot! You've given me good advice before!

86 ssinit

Jake your far from an idiot and offer solid advice. Got to say I really don’t care for the badges. They may be fun but may also put people out. Yes it’s nice to know those who specialize in certain aspects of fish keeping. But there are so many different ways to do things and people all have different types of water that one persons way may not work for someone else. I appreciate the discus guru tag but in reality I’m just a keeper. My ways don’t work for everyone. If you go to the discus sites I’m an outsider. Discus and plants together are frowned on by the pros . Again I do enjoy answering people’s questions and will help anyone with discus questions .

ProudPapa

1605549110267.png

I couldn't resist, and I'm surprised I'm the first one to post this.

John58ford

I was thinking along the lines of this for me too lol. What I do works in my very narrow and specific way, probably could get someone's house burned down following my diy stuff without my (non-fish) training. I also have very non-conventional (not the easy way) views on some stuff.

Maybe the "holy hand grenade" badge for those of us that over simplify an overly complicated means to a simple end lol.

86 ssinit

Lol the holy hand grenade!! But it’s just a bunny .

Dippiedee

Maybe an angelfish guru badge would be handy, angelfish seem super popular so naturally quite a few questions about them pop up

mattgirl

Maybe an angelfish guru badge would be handy, angelfish seem super popular so naturally quite a few questions about them pop up

You are right but I think we have one of these. It is called Freshwater Angelfish Guru. If I am remembering correctly bizaliz3 has been nominated as someone that knows quite a bit about these fish.

Dippiedee

You are right but I think we have one of these. It is called Freshwater Angelfish Guru. If I am remembering correctly bizaliz3 has been nominated as someone than knows quite a bit about these fish.

Oh oops I must have missed that

mattgirl

Oh oops I must have missed that
It is very easy to miss it since it isn't up in the A's

Coradee

It is very easy to miss it since it isn't up in the A's
I think it’s been done like that as there are also Saltwater angelfish

jake37

There is already such a badge and there is already a person who is marked as angel guru; but perhaps it is a different type of angel

mattgirl

I think it’s been done like that as there are also Saltwater angelfish
I suspected that was the reason for it being the way it is. Fortunately the guru list isn't very long so it is easy to scroll through and find what we are looking for.

veggieshark

So, let's see if my self-entitlement worked. Edited my location, and here it comes.

MacZ

Hmm... Genius way to get not pinged all the time and not to be on "advice-duty"... I like that a lot...

Lucy

1605549110267.png

I couldn't resist, and I'm surprised I'm the first one to post this.

laugh1.gif
Glad you did that. I thought about but wasn't sure how many people would get it

So, let's see if my self-entitlement worked. Edited my location, and here it comes.

yesss.gif

AcornTheBetta

There should be a lighting guru

I feel like you should be able to @ a specific badge to mention all of those people. EX: If someone had a plant problem they could go @plantguru plz help.

fish 321

I feel like you should be able to @ a specific badge to mention all of those people. EX: If someone had a plant problem they could go @plantguru plz help.
Good Idea.

I feel like Ive been keeping fish for so long yet I feel like I am still a beginner. Like I have never cycled a tank properly and my tanks still manage to cycle. Also everyones dealt with so many diseases yet I have only ever experienced ich, so its the only disease I know how to treat. I guess I just kinda float my way through the hobby.‍

Dippiedee

I feel like Ive been keeping fish for so long yet I feel like I am still a beginner. Like I have never cycled a tank properly and my tanks still manage to cycle. Also everyones dealt with so many diseases yet I have only ever experienced ich, so its the only disease I know how to treat. I guess I just kinda float my way through the hobby.‍

Smooth sailing guru

jake37

I disagree. While occasionally asking for help; most people on this forum do not want to be spammed. Furthermore, a lot of people use poor judgement when to request help from a guru and that has been a complaint from people in the past (constantly getting spammed for help from third parties on petty issues).

ProudPapa

. . . While occasionally asking for help; most people on this forum do not want to be spammed. Furthermore, a lot of people use poor judgement when to request help from a guru and that has been a complaint from people in the past (constantly getting spammed for help from third parties on petty issues).

I agree with this. Although, I'm one of the more prominent members on another forum (completely unrelated to fishkeeping), and I don't mind being tagged to look at a discussion nearly as much as when someone sends me a private message asking a question instead of asking it as a general question for everyone to see.

It's especially annoying when they're asking me about an area of the software that I know absolutely nothing about. That's wasting their time and mine.

jake37

I know about software !!! For one thing it is very soft and for another it takes a lot to wear it down. Last but least use epoll instead of select.

I agree with this. Although, I'm one of the more prominent members on another forum (completely unrelated to fishkeeping), and I don't mind being tagged to look at a discussion nearly as much as when someone sends me a private message asking a question instead of asking it as a general question for everyone to see.

It's especially annoying when they're asking me about an area of the software that I know absolutely nothing about. That's wasting their time and mine.

CHJ

A Bad Fish Decisions Guru. So you have someone who can tell you that goonch in a 15 is a bad idea.

Is Chromedome the one who knows everything? There was someone here who should be wearing an "Property of Shedd Aquarium" t shirt. Maybe a catch all guru? High Guru?

AggressiveAquatics

Mike I know I suggested hybrid fish guru but that could be way to broad of a topic. Maybe just flowerhorn guru blood parrot guru etc...
Main reason being that a lot of people have experience with these fish but not every hybrid. Like I’ve kept flowerhorns and blood parrots for a while now but not any other hybrids

SouthAmericanCichlids

I second flowerhorn guru, a lot of people keep them. Not as much parrotfish guru though, it is very popular, but there are only so many guru badges, and parrotfish are really, out of the ones we have now, the least popular. Though flowerhorns would be somewhere in the middle of our current ones. Some other are cory, gourami, changing shrimp to invertebrate, tetra, breeding, canister filter, food, and general freshwater. For this last one, they have kept and know how to keep a huge selection of fish, and have overall a ton of experience in the hobby. And finally, specific plant species or type gurus. Like anubias, crypt, carpeting plant, vals, swords. Would be the most common ones imo.

Kribensis27

I second flowerhorn guru, a lot of people keep them. Not as much parrotfish guru though, it is very popular, but there are only so many guru badges, and parrotfish are really, out of the ones we have now, the least popular. Though flowerhorns would be somewhere in the middle of our current ones. Some other are cory, gourami, changing shrimp to invertebrate, tetra, breeding, canister filter, food, and general freshwater. For this last one, they have kept and know how to keep a huge selection of fish, and have overall a ton of experience in the hobby. And finally, specific plant species or type gurus. Like anubias, crypt, carpeting plant, vals, swords. Would be the most common ones imo.
That would be awesome! Crypts are one of the few things out of all these categories that I actually know a lot about.

ayeayeron

Ah, I feel like having snail and shrimp separate is best. Because if they were together I would be being tagged in threads about shrimp when snails are my forte

SnookusFish

I dont think there's a need for individual plant group gurus. someone given the plant guru badge should be knowledgeable on all plants. And I dont think there is anyone that is an expert in just anubias that wouldn't be just as knowledgeable on any of the other plant groups. Then people would end up with 5 guru badges each for every plant.

jake37

If they were separate you would have motivation to become a shrimp expert !

Ah, I feel like having snail and shrimp separate is best. Because if they were together I would be being tagged in threads about shrimp when snails are my forte

No one is knowledgeable on all plants (and algae which are plants). Why just the other day i asked a plant guru what type of algae i had and they couldn't recognize it even though it is relatively common.
-
I will say that I've branched out into more exoctic plants i find fewer people who actually have a real clue about how to grow them. Anyway if we start having plant specific guru then perhaps we need sword specific guru since there are 10's if not 100's of types of sword plants

I dont think there's a need for individual plant group gurus. someone given the plant guru badge should be knowledgeable on all plants. And I dont think there is anyone that is an expert in just anubias that wouldn't be just as knowledgeable on any of the other plant groups. Then people would end up with 5 guru badges each for every plant.

StarGirl

I think the closest guru I am is Googling guru. People keeping fish for a few months are not gurus. Asking for very specific badges so you can have one makes the title worthless IMO. The gurus we have right now are pretty worthy of their badges. Mike I have a rock can I be a rock guru?

jake37

I second StarGirl for rock guru; but I'm not sure which type of rock guru she is but she is surely a rocky guru !

I think the closest guru I am is Googling guru. People keeping fish for a few months are not gurus. Asking for very specific badges so you can have one makes the title worthless IMO. The gurus we have right now are pretty worthy of their badges. Mike I have a rock can I be a rock guru?

Dippiedee

Some of the people who have been awarded guru badge have 10 years experience with that particular subject. Obviously it's all for fun, but theres no need to be upset because you havent been awarded a badge. They're not just participation awards, they're recognising people's expertise.

86 ssinit

Hey I know all about rocks!!! I even catch wild ones for my tank

SouthAmericanCichlids

Hey I know all about rocks!!! I even catch wild ones for my tank
I have always wanted to find them in their natural habitat, and put them in my tank. But I don't think I have the right parameters, and plus it would cost big money to go. So I shall remain in sadness. lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mike
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Chanyi
Replies