Guru Badges - Page 2

Mike

Is there a limit for an amount of nominations someone has to have in order to become a guru? I mean no negativity, but we can't go around making everyone a guru. I think maybe somewhere in between 5-10. Also, will there be a way to remove a guru from someone? I know this sounds harsh, but I'm just wondering. And again, as always, a colossal thank you to Mike who is probably getting as much sleep as a teenager working on this forum.

Thanks for kind words! And I agree - that's why I have this in the first post:

"These badges will be given to members that have deep knowledge about a certain subject and have demonstrated it over a period of time here on the forum. These guru badges should be very restrictive in my opinion. So please, please, please don't be offended if you don't get this badge."

Moderators can remove badges if necessary. Members can hide/show their own badges in their profile > badges tab.

mimo91088

Mike would it be possible to keep the first post edited and up to date if you decide to add any more categories? I want to be able to nominate a deserving member if I see things that fit their knowledge. But I also don't want to read through the entire thread and maybe miss it if you decide to add anything.

Lucy

A quick note, please.
Please only send a nomination to one moderator.
We will bring it up to the mod squad for consideration. It will save double the work in cross checking.

Thank ya kindly

Mike

Mike would it be possible to keep the first post edited and up to date if you decide to add any more categories? I want to be able to nominate a deserving member if I see things that fit their knowledge. But I also don't want to read through the entire thread and maybe miss it if you decide to add anything.
The most current list of badges will be on the help > badges page: Badges

You can click on each badge to see who has been awarded the badge.

ryanr

Saltwater guru? Maybe more in depth like anemone guru, coral guru, goby guru, etc.
Trying to break down SW would be a nightmare LOL

Reef aquarists will typically be well versed in all aspects of the reef, anemones, corals, shrimp, crabs, CUC, fish, equipment, dosing etc etc. It's a very intricate topic, so many elements to a reef.

And unless you're in SW, probably wouldn't realise the difference between FO/FOWLR/Reef. Personally, I kept a reef, well technically it was FOWLR for a few months, but most of my experience is reef keeping, but more than happy to talk FO/FOWLR as most of the requirements are similar.

jake37

I think you should be a bit restrictive on guru badges. I've already seen a couple granted i would question. There are some true experts on this forum and there are some parrots. I know it is tough to filter the difference but I think it is very important.

Also loach guru would be nice. loaches are wonderful fishes and everyone should have a dozen.

Dippiedee

And unless you're in SW, probably wouldn't realise the difference between FO/FOWLR/Reef. Personally, I kept a reef, well technically it was FOWLR for a few months, but most of my experience is reef keeping, but more than happy to talk FO/FOWLR as most of the requirements are similar.

I dont even know what the abbreviations stand for let alone the different between them lol

jake37

That's ok i never add salt to my tanks. Doesn't it make the skin shrivel...

I dont even know what the abbreviations stand for let alone the different between them lol

ryanr

LOL - the acronyms used in SW are worse than FW.
FO = Fish only
FOWLR = Fish only with live rock
Reef = technically is fish, corals/anemones and inverts, but many consider fish and corals/anemones a reef.

I think you should be a bit restrictive on guru badges. I've already seen a couple granted i would question.
We're trying to be!

veggieshark

If there will be few gurus, maybe the name should be determined specific to the guru's expertise. Categorizing the expertise the same way as the discussion subjects are categorized may not work. For example, we conveniently call everything that don't fall under a popular or crowded category as oddballs. But that includes so many different things. Also a person's expertise may include something from some group and something from another. For example, a person most experienced in some sort of African cichlid and also some kind of catfish would be difficult to name using predetermined guru titles. The grand master of guppy breeding may not have any interest in other live-bearers.

DoubleDutch

But the members themselves don't have anything to say if they're willing to accept such a badge? As said earlier personally I won't.

MacZ

But the members themselves don't have anything to say if they're willing to accept such a badge? As said earlier personally I won't.

I gave back one of mine ("American cichlid guru". Well, at least I informed a mod I want it removed) because I find it uncalled-for and for the time being marked it on my publicly visible profile as "not shown". I still have no idea who nominated me for that one.
"Blackwater" I happily accept, though.

ryanr

Hi DD,
You have a couple of choices if awarded a badge.
You can choose to accept it, but not display/announce it to the public (per above instructions)
Or you can contact a moderator, and we can remove it.

It's also very new to us mods, so we'll discuss it, and maybe change the 'approval process'

ProudPapa

Is there a limit for an amount of nominations someone has to have in order to become a guru? I mean no negativity, but we can't go around making everyone a guru. I think maybe somewhere in between 5-10. Also, will there be a way to remove a guru from someone? I know this sounds harsh, but I'm just wondering. And again, as always, a colossal thank you to Mike who is probably getting as much sleep as a teenager working on this forum.

I will respectfully disagree. I believe the moderators are perfectly capable of determining who qualifies as a guru without requiring a certain number of nominations.

ryanr

I will respectfully disagree. I believe the moderators are perfectly capable of determining who qualifies as a guru without requiring a certain number of nominations.
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
We have already established a process for approval of badges (details are irrelevant)
As always on FL, we will always accept and review member suggestions/criticisms of the system(s) and make changes as are deemed necessary.

Heck, Mike sprung it on all of us, so we're all learning on the fly (Please bare with us, till we figure it all out.)

But we will have hiccups, and if you're not sure, feel free to msg one of us, and we'll try sort it out

ayeayeron

I would just like to say that so far I’m really liking the badges. It makes me very happy to see what others have earned, particularly the honorable member badge. I think that all of the members who earned guru badges deserve it. I really hope this works out for everyone else too

AcornTheBetta

I would just like to say that so far I’m really liking the badges. It makes me very happy to see what others have earned, particularly the honorable member badge. I think that all of the members who earned guru badges deserve it. I really hope this works out for everyone else too
Lol that's cuz you have a guru badge

AggressiveAquatics

You’ll get there soon enough

ayeayeron

Lol. I was gonna post this last night before I received it. They’re just badges tho! It doesn’t mean I have more experience or even knowledge than anyone else.

Lucy

Hopfully!

I think you mean pretty. Thanks

Hahaha, yes, That's southern for pretty.

AggressiveAquatics

Lol. I was gonna post this last night before I received it. They’re just badges tho! It doesn’t mean I have more experience or even knowledge than anyone else.
Lol that’s why you got it

ayeayeron

Lol that’s why you got it
I don’t think it’s a measure of experience or knowledge. I think it’s just supposed to be like “hey, we’ve gotten good feedback from this member on this topic”. I mean if you go through my posts, I talk QUITE a bit about snails. It definitely doesn’t mean I know more about snails than anyone else on the forum.

AcornTheBetta

Hahaha, yes, That's southern for pretty.
Oooh. Yeah we don't say purty here in California.
Maybe I'll get aquascaping guru

AggressiveAquatics

Oooh. Yeah we don't say purty here in California.

Maybe I'll get aquascaping guru
If I was one of the lucky few to get one I might get hybrid fish guru

emeraldking

Well, I just found out that I´ve got the Livebearer guru badge. Thank you for it. I wasn´t even aware that a handing out of such badges was going on.
I´m not even aware of who nominated me. But thank you again...

IMG_5765b.jpg
But to be honest, I would´ve never come up with a labeling with "guru" in it... You guys are very creative with words...

AggressiveAquatics

Well, I just found out that I´ve got the Livebearer guru badge. Thank you for it. I wasn´t even aware that a handing out of such badges was going on.
I´m not even aware of who nominated me. But thank you again...

IMG_5765b.jpg
But to be honest, I would´ve never come up with a labeling with "guru" in it... You guys are very creative with words...
Why are we not handing out plaques like this lol

ayeayeron

Why are we not handing out plaques like this lol
We absolutely should, especially for the honorable members.

AggressiveAquatics

We absolutely should, especially for the honorable members.
Ooh we should have a fishlore hall of fame where their profile pics are all there and what they were best at

jake37

Well having read this thread, which was probably a mistake, there should most likely be a badge for most obnoxious. as well as well i better leave it at that.

AggressiveAquatics

Well having read this thread, which was probably a mistake, there should most likely be a badge for most obnoxious. as well as well i better leave it at that.
Well I’m ready for it I guess

NevermindIgnoreMe

I feel like I'll be getting some nominations now...

AcornTheBetta

I think there should be a "Stocking Guru" badge!

Lucy

I think there should be a "Stocking Guru" badge!

This was discussed. There won't be one at this time. Stocking can be controversial and often subjective.
Maybe a later date we will re-visit this.

mattgirl

A quick question. where do I go to get a list of guru badges? Say I need to find a particular guru and I don't know the name off the top of my head. Where would I go to find it?

Lucy

A quick question. where do I go to get a list of guru badges? Say I need to find a particular guru and I don't know the name off the top of my head. Where would I go to find it?
Here's the link:
Badges

StarGirl

On the bottom of every page there is the help button and there is a section for the badges.

mattgirl

On the bottom of every page there is the help button and there is a section for the badges.
Thank you. Someone mentioned the help button before and for some dumb reason I couldn't find it. YAY!!!!!!! I finally did I never would have looked there for a list of Badges. I assumed it would take me somewhere to get help on using this forum. I was pleasantly surprised by what I found when I clicked on it. Now I know.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mike
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Chanyi
Replies