Pygmy Cory?

Bailey Oswald

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello! I'm revising and editing my stocking plan for my 50 gallon as I do research. I originally was going to have kuhli loaches, but since my tank is open top and they are apparently known to jump, I decided that might not work out. I'm thinking instead of kuhli loaches getting a nice, decent size pygmy cory school in my tank. Will they work?
As far as other tank mates, there is one female betta, one bristlenose pleco, and a mystery snail. I will probably be adding more snails.
So now some tank info:
>> 50 Gallon
>> Black Diamond Blasting Sand
>> Will be planted
>> Two driftwood logs
>> Hydor canister filter
>> Heated

Will the pygmy cories work in this tank? How big of a school would you recommend?
Are they omnivores or carnivores? I've seen both. I plan on feeding Repashy Community Plus, will they eat and thrive on that food? I will also be offering veggies, algae wafers, and frozen foods.

Bailey Oswald

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You can add 8-10 pgymies. They are carnivores as well. Give them a mix of brine shrimp, blood worms, and every once in a while algae waders. You can add more to your stocking
Are they carnivores or omnivores? If they are carnivores, would they need algae wafers? I have frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms that I can feed them.
And what do you mean by saying I can add more to my stocking lol I'm a bit confused by that. Just a note I don't plan on any other fish besides the pleco, betta, and cories. Plus snails, but those are invertebrates xD

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are they carnivores or omnivores? If they are carnivores, would they need algae wafers? I have frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms that I can feed them.
And what do you mean by saying I can add more to my stocking lol I'm a bit confused by that. Just a note I don't plan on any other fish besides the pleco, betta, and cories. Plus snails, but those are invertebrates xD
One betta in a 55 gallon is no where near stocked. You can add some shoaling fidh as you have plenty of room! They are a carnivore. But it's good for them to have who we every once in a while.

Bailey Oswald

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
One betta in a 55 gallon is no where near stocked. You can add some shoaling fidh as you have plenty of room! They are a carnivore. But it's good for them to have who we every once in a while.
Actually, it is stocked. :3 No, it's not stocked to the limit but that is the stocking I have chosen. And it's not just one betta. It's a betta, a pleco, mystery snails, and cories. Mystery snails produce a decent amount of waste, as do plecos. And my tank is only 50 gallons. C:

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Actually, it is stocked. :3 No, it's not stocked to the limit but that is the stocking I have chosen. And it's not just one betta. It's a betta, a pleco, mystery snails, and cories. Mystery snails produce a decent amount of waste, as do plecos. And my tank is only 50 gallons. C:
I know what you are stocking. I'm just saying you could add more. Add pygmy cories if you want. They will be perfectly fine.

Bailey Oswald

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You are really understocked

Pygmy cories aren't really temp compatable, and sterbai or bronze would be better.
You could also do a large school of harlequin rasboras or cardinal tetras.
I'm aware that I'm understocked. c: I've looked at schooling fish and haven't really found any that I liked that were compatible. Plus, I personally like the look of a tank not stocked to the limit [though full tanks look nice too].

According to seriouslyfish, pygmy cories temp range is 72-79, which is compatible with bettas, bristlenose plecos, and mystery snails. I was wondering more if they were compatible behavior wise and stuff :>

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok, if that's your preference that's fine I have suggestions for schooling fish if you are interested.

Yes, the betta should be fine with pygmy cories

Bailey Oswald

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok, if that's your preference that's fine I have suggestions for schooling fish if you are interested.

Yes, the betta should be fine with pygmy cories
I'm definitely interested. I would like a schooling fish but haven't found any yet. Just a note, I'm not a fan of tall bodied fish [skirt tetras, for example] and I'm not too fond of cardinal/neon tetras for some reason xD

Bailey Oswald

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok, here goes:
Harlequin rasboras
Rummynose tetras
Cherry barbs
Black neon tetras
X-Ray tetras
Gold Tetras
Kerri Tetras

Bettas: 78-82
Pygmy cories: 72-79
So it would have to be at the ends of each range, so I personally wouldn't risk it
I'll take a look at those! I liked rummy nose tetras but heard they can be nippy.

Can't bettas go a little lower than 78?

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'll take a look at those! I liked rummy nose tetras but heard they can be nippy.

Can't bettas go a little lower than 78?
Nope, rummies are typically very peaceful, especially in larger schools.

Technically they can, but it isn't ideal.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, Pygmy corys would prefer a lower temp than the Betta.
The temperature range given on most sites is just that, a range of temperatures they may experience during the different seasons of the year, keeping them permanently right at the bottom or top of their range is not recommended.
If you like rummynose then I’d recommend those instead of the pygmies, in my experience they don’t bother other fish when kept in numbers & they school beautifully, I kept mine with angels.

Bailey Oswald

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, Pygmy corys would prefer a lower temp than the Betta.
The temperature range given on most sites is just that, a range of temperatures they may experience during the different seasons of the year, keeping them permanently right at the bottom or top of their range is not recommended.
If you like rummynose then I’d recommend those instead of the pygmies, in my experience they don’t bother other fish when kept in numbers & they school beautifully, I kept mine with angels.
Are panda cories compatible?

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, sorry no, pandas prefer much cooler temperature.
Sterbai, bronze & albino are a few options, there are other corys that can handle higher temps but they may be harder to source.
If you have a good Lfs that’s willing to try ordering some for you you could look at C.oiapoquensis, they’re very similar to pandas but can handle higher temps.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello! I'm revising and editing my stocking plan for my 50 gallon as I do research. I originally was going to have kuhli loaches, but since my tank is open top and they are apparently known to jump, I decided that might not work out. I'm thinking instead of kuhli loaches getting a nice, decent size pygmy cory school in my tank. Will they work?
As far as other tank mates, there is one female betta, one bristlenose pleco, and a mystery snail. I will probably be adding more snails.
So now some tank info:
>> 50 Gallon
>> Black Diamond Blasting Sand
>> Will be planted
>> Two driftwood logs
>> Hydor canister filter
>> Heated

Will the pygmy cories work in this tank? How big of a school would you recommend?
Are they omnivores or carnivores? I've seen both. I plan on feeding Repashy Community Plus, will they eat and thrive on that food? I will also be offering veggies, algae wafers, and frozen foods.
Yes. Pygmy cories will do well. They can even tolerate gravel substrate because they don't try to dig in it like larger cories and harm their barbels. AA school of 10 to 12 is advised. They really are tiny. I have a school of them myself.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom