New Planted Tank Setup

DK314

Ignore the glare and reflections lol. Just wanted to share my next Journey so far and will continue to update as I move along in this slow process. Let me know what you guys think of the hardscape so far!

37 Gallon heavily planted tank.

Tank dimensions:
30x12x22

Equipement:
Aquaclear 70 - I may upgrade to a canister in the future. Since I had this on hand I figured I would use it.
2 x Fluval Plant 3.0 lights
2.3 liter Wuyouchy DIY Co2 Generator that I purchased on Amazon. been testing this thing for a couple weeks now and have no issues with it. I am pleasantly surprised at how well its working.
NilocG Aqua-neo Diffuser
NilocG Co2 Drop Checker

Wood:
All spider wood

Substrate:
ADA Amazonia Ver. 2

Ferts:
will probably start with Niloc macros, micros, and iron. Making adjustments and changes as I move along.

Plants:
Not sure yet, still in the hardscaping phase. was thinking some monte carlo or dwarf hair grass. Moss, not sure what variety yet. some red plants, greens plants, you know...plants lol. if you guys have any recommendations I would appreciate it!!

Stocking - Cardinal Tetras or Neon tetras, Possibly some Amano shrimp and Corys.

Attachments

• 20201026_161605.jpg
    20201026_161605.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 82

mimo91088

Like the hardscape!

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Very nice! Can't wait to see how this comes along!

Upvote 0

FisHobbyist

Was there any updates on how this aquarium came together?

Was there any updates on how this aquarium came together?
Whoops just noticed this was posted yesterday. Ignore that lol. Looking forward to seeing how your plants come together.

Upvote 0

DK314

Currently attempting to waterlog all of the spider wood. I must say, spider wood is quite stubborn. It's been about 3 days. every day so far I have been changing out the water with fresh hot tap water. As much as I would like to boil them I don't have a pot big enough for it. I guess patience is the game for this step!

Upvote 0

FisHobbyist

Currently attempting to waterlog all of the spider wood. I must say, spider wood is quite stubborn. It's been about 3 days. every day so far I have been changing out the water with fresh hot tap water. As much as I would like to boil them I don't have a pot big enough for it. I guess patience is the game for this step!
What are you soaking it in? I usually drop mine into a large trash can or soak in a bath tub. Also, do you treat with anything?

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

I boil all my wood and that usually sinks it.

Upvote 0

DK314

What are you soaking it in? I usually drop mine into a large trash can or soak in a bath tub. Also, do you treat with anything?
Just soaking it in a tub of hot water. No additional water treatment. Most of the smaller pieces of wood have sank. My 2 largest pieces are still kind of floating.

Upvote 0

DK314

FINALLY!!! I got somewhere!. Time got away for a little bit there but everything worked out. Things got a little hectic for about a month so I had to step away from this project for a little bit but everything worked out. I was able to soak the wood for two months. They are now waterlogged and staying put with no issues. filter media was seeding in another tank for the same time frame as well so I am hoping this tank will cycle quickly. I ordered my plants and got them planted. here are the plants I decided to go with.

Scarlet Temple
Cryptocoryne wendtii grenn
ludwigia broad leaf (Ludwigia repens)
ludwigia narrow leaf (Ludwigia palustris)
Monte Caralo
Staurogyne repens

Here is the setup. Tanks been running for about 6 hours now. I'm very happy with how it turned out so far.

Now what fish to put in here??? I was thinking a school of either cardinal or neon tetras. my wife really wants glass cats. I'm thinking of also adding Amano shrimp and maybe a bristlenose pleco. What fish would you guys put in here??.

Attachments

• 20210108_171232.jpg
    20210108_171232.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210108_142440.jpg
    20210108_142440.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

FINALLY!!! I got somewhere!. Time got away for a little bit there but everything worked out. Things got a little hectic for about a month so I had to step away from this project for a little bit but everything worked out. I was able to soak the wood for two months. They are now waterlogged and staying put with no issues. filter media was seeding in another tank for the same time frame as well so I am hoping this tank will cycle quickly. I ordered my plants and got them planted. here are the plants I decided to go with.

Scarlet Temple
Cryptocoryne wendtii grenn
ludwigia broad leaf (Ludwigia repens)
ludwigia narrow leaf (Ludwigia palustris)
Monte Caralo
Staurogyne repens

Here is the setup. Tanks been running for about 6 hours now. I'm very happy with how it turned out so far.

Now what fish to put in here??? I was thinking a school of either cardinal or neon tetras. my wife really wants glass cats. I'm thinking of also adding Amano shrimp and maybe a bristlenose pleco. What fish would you guys put in here??.
I would do some corys instead of the glass cats. I don't know your wife, but it's hard not to love corys. A BN and some cardinals would look good.
Maybe:
Do you like that stocking?

Upvote 0

DK314

I would do some corys instead of the glass cats. I don't know your wife, but it's hard not to love corys. A BN and some cardinals would look good.
Maybe:
  • Trio of Honey Gouramis (1m 2f)
  • 10 Cardinals
  • 10 Sterbai Corys
  • 1 BN Pleco
Do you like that stocking?
Overall I like this idea. I have never had Cory's. Are they good bottom cleaners?

Upvote 0

Aprilbeingbasic

Overall I like this idea. I have never had Cory's. Are they good bottom cleaners?
Corys are great bottom feeders but won't really touch algae. A great algae eater to put with corys is ottos, they have a symbiotic relationship and like to hang out with each other.

Upvote 0

DK314

Corys are great bottom feeders but won't really touch algae. A great algae eater to put with corys is ottos, they have a symbiotic relationship and like to hang out with each other.
Interesting. I'm going to look into this. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Aprilbeingbasic

Something about the ottos seek protection from the corys because corys have those spikes as defence. They will school together. Plus ottos are seriously good little cleaners.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Otos are known to be weak fish tho. I would just clean any algae yourself or get nerites instead.

Upvote 0

Aprilbeingbasic

Otos are known to be weak fish tho. I would just clean any algae yourself or get nerites instead.
Hmm not always true. Rachel O'Leary has some great info on them and I feel alot of this "sensitive fish" labells get blown out of proportion alot.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Hmm not always true. Rachel O'Leary has some great info on them and I feel alot of this "sensitive fish" labells get blown out of proportion alot.
IME Otos are very sensitive at the beginning because of the way they’re caught. Often they’ll die in the first two weeks, but after a month or so they tend to be fairly hardy.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

The "sensitive fish" labels are there for a reason. Lots of fish can have 100% survival rates when added to a tank whereas from what I've heard, otos only have an 80% or sometimes even lower survival rate. Rachel O'Leary is a good resource, but very experienced so she may have different experiences than those with less experience. Also, virtually all Otos are wild caught so that may deter more people.

Upvote 0

Aprilbeingbasic

The "sensitive fish" labels are there for a reason. Lots of fish can have 100% survival rates when added to a tank whereas from what I've heard, otos only have an 80% or sometimes even lower survival rate. Rachel O'Leary is a good resource, but very experienced so she may have different experiences than those with less experience. Also, virtually all Otos are wild caught so that may deter more people.
Yes you are right. I guess its just me being like, all fish need good water, doesn't really make them sensitive. But the wild caught thing with their first initial die off is true. Such a shame

Upvote 0

DK314

Yeah I'm not to concerned if I have to clean algae myself. I have nerites in my other tank and they have littered it with eggs all the time so I have no plans to put nerites in this tank

Upvote 0

DK314

I tested the water this morning to see if seeding my filter media helped and it looks like I got an instant cycle. I have the temp set at 75. Ammonia spiked immediately, it's at 2.0ppm as expected due to the ADA Amazonia aquasoil. No nitrites and about 20 ppm nitrates over night. I'll be following ADA's water change schedule for the next month before I go to my normal water schedule. So....water changes everyday for the next week. Every other day the following week, for the third week 3 times and for the 4th week twice.. not looking forward to it but it'll be worth it for me in the end.

Upvote 0

DK314

It's been about a week. Here's a before and after. Wood seemed to have gotten darker much darker. I actually like how it looks. Plants are also growing. Also got some hitch hikers.... anyone know what kind of snails these are?
Well based on the info I found here: Pictorial guide of hitchhikers | Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help Forum | 428501

They seem to be pond/bladder snails. I found a jelly like clear sac on one of my plants a few days ago and removed it. I wondered what it was. Found the same thing in the above post. Gotta love this forum!

Attachments

• 20210116_221633.jpg
    20210116_221633.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210116_221513.jpg
    20210116_221513.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210108195911.jpg
    20210108195911.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210116_190936.jpg
    20210116_190936.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0

Aprilbeingbasic

It's been about a week. Here's a before and after. Wood seemed to have gotten darker much darker. I actually like how it looks. Plants are also growing. Also got some hitch hikers.... anyone know what kind of snails these are?
Well based on the info I found here: Pictorial guide of hitchhikers | Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help Forum | 428501

They seem to be pond/bladder snails. I found a jelly like clear sac on one of my plants a few days ago and removed it. I wondered what it was. Found the same thing in the above post. Gotta love this forum!
yeah would say they are bladder snails. I also have them. They are handy for the tank health

Upvote 0

Kathylee

This Tank looks amazing! You've done a lot of Hard work & it has paid off for sure. Those are Bladder snails (Physidae) Not Pond Snails (Lymnaeidae) They look different but a lot of people refer to them as one in the same. Mine came in on plants, I let them be, but beware, they are notorious egg layers. I put 1 single snail in my newest tank & now there is a couple dozen cruising around in there!

Upvote 0

DK314

Since my last post my tank finally cycled and is fully stocked. Plant growth is insane. And I'm moving through the algae phase. I have since added neon tetras, glass cats, siamensis algae eaters, and an albino bristlenose pleco. For a week there I was just removing algae. Seems like since I added the pleco and siamensis it's been at bay. Hope everyone likes it because I LOVE it!
Some more photos

Attachments

• 20210204_122249.jpg
    20210204_122249.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210108195911.jpg
    20210108195911.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210108195911.jpg
    20210108195911.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210116_190936.jpg
    20210116_190936.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210122_135130.jpg
    20210122_135130.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210127_142848.jpg
    20210127_142848.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210131_214441.jpg
    20210131_214441.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210204_122249.jpg
    20210204_122249.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210202_155439.jpg
    20210202_155439.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210131_214802.jpg
    20210131_214802.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210204_123529.jpg
    20210204_123529.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210204_123444.jpg
    20210204_123444.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 22
Upvote 0

FisHobbyist

Got some nice growth. Looking good!

Upvote 0

Toothy

Aquascaping looks great and filling in nicely. Did you say you are using 2 Fluval 3.0 lights? What size, I know they come in 24" and 48" and you have 30" tank?

Upvote 0

DK314

Thanks! I bel
Aquascaping looks great and filling in nicely. Did you say you are using 2 Fluval 3.0 lights? What size, I know they come in 24" and 48" and you have 30" tank?
Thanks! I believe they are 32 inches and yes I am using 2 of them. I thought it would be insanely bright but it turned out not as bad.

Upvote 0

Toothy

Thanks! I bel

Thanks! I believe they are 32 inches and yes I am using 2 of them. I thought it would be insanely bright but it turned out not as bad.
Interesting, I'm planning a 60" tank and I like the Fluval 3.0 but with the choices being 24", 36" and 48" I didn't think it would be a good combo to rest on the center brace so I was looking a two 30" Finnex ALCs. The ALCs seem to have a higher par also that will help with 30" vertical depth tank.

Upvote 0

DK314

Interesting, I'm planning a 60" tank and I like the Fluval 3.0 but with the choices being 24", 36" and 48" I didn't think it would be a good combo to rest on the center brace so I was looking a two 30" Finnex ALCs. The ALCs seem to have a higher par also that will help with 30" vertical depth tank.
Correction. Its the 24-34 inch one. They are adjustable. They are also 32 watts. Couldn't tell you what the par is. I do appreciate the features on it.. My tank depth is 22 inches. I also looked at a few Finnex lights but since I already had one of the Fluval I decided to get another. Just easier to run the same lights from the same app. I'm still trying to figure out my light intensity and fert dosing schedule. I'm dosing EI at the moment and have the lights at 65% intensity. I feel that I may not need to dose the full EI schedule and dose every other day. Starting next week I might experiment with this.

Upvote 0

Toothy

Correction. Its the 24-34 inch one. They are adjustable. They are also 32 watts. Couldn't tell you what the par is. I do appreciate the features on it.. My tank depth is 22 inches. I also looked at a few Finnex lights but since I already had one of the Fluval I decided to get another. Just easier to run the same lights from the same app. I'm still trying to figure out my light intensity and fert dosing schedule. I'm dosing EI at the moment and have the lights at 65% intensity. I feel that I may not need to dose the full EI schedule and dose every other day. Starting next week I might experiment with this.
That makes sense. The controls on the Fluval seem way better and easier to use than the Finnex.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dechi
Replies
Views
ruud
  • Question
Replies
Views
SlickNick