Pictorial guide of hitchhikers

MissNoodle

I think a photo guide for freshwater pests, hitchhikers, and other microorganisms would be a helpful addition.

If you have photos of things that have found their way into your aquarium, please share it here. Clear photos are appreciated.

This could help others try to figure out "WHAT IS THIS?!" issues when they come across some creepy crawly, and decide if its harmful, harmless, and ways to eliminate it if needed.

Filling out this info would be great help:

Identity:
Common means of transfer:
Harmful to:
Benefits:
What to look for:
How to eliminate:
Similarities:

Last edited:

MissNoodle

Identity: Bryozoa "Moss Animals"
Common means of transfer: plants, driftwood, possibly from used equipment
Harmful to: nothing, just possibly cosmetic
Benefits: filter feeds particles from water, feeds on cyanobacteria, algae, etc. Food for fish and shrimp
What to look for: almost looks like fuzz or fungus, but closer look shows hard body case with a fan shaped head that retracts into hard body. Fan moves. Lives in a network of connected colonies. It is a type of invertebrate.
How to eliminate: unknown, can survive harsh dry conditions. Survived boiling driftwood. Meds harsh to inverts has not eliminated it. Platy fry have been observed eating it.
Similarities: Can be confused with hydra. Note the bulbous hard shell at base of bryozoa, does not sting, is not mobile as hydra.
Note: can live inside filters.
Further reference: Like hydra but not - Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help 430760
20191105_170212.jpg
20191015_190912.jpg20191010_152234.jpg

Last edited:

FinalFins

I can not currently take pics but I can try to find a pic on this forum to use in reference

1573089131585.png

Pic above taken by JJfishes. JJfishes has allowed the use of this photo in this guide

Pic below take by MissNoodle. Missnoodle has allowed use of these photos also.
20191025_030409.jpg
Above^^^ Gyro Ramshorn snail. Shell is flat when it is held horizontally to its body.
20191023_174900.jpg
20191003_210200.jpg

Identity: Ramshorn snail, Rams Horn Snail

Common Means of transfer: purposely bought, eggs on a plant that you bought, snails on a plant you bought.

Harmful To: Nothing. A peaceful snail. But can grow to large numbers quickly.

Benefits: Great snail to eat up excess detritus and dead plant matter, will consume a level of algae matter too

What to look for: Identified by their signature flat coil shell, looking like a ram's horn, hence the name.

How to eliminate: Assasin Snails, Commercial Products, Or manual removal by means of removing snails by hand and wiping away eggs.

Note- These snails are excellent breeders and can create a large population within weeks. Many fishkeepers consider them pests.

Last edited:

MissNoodle

FinalFins id list that they breed fast, and I got some photos of them to add as well when the full guide is made

FinalFins

Look at squiggly thing
Screenshot 2019-11-06 at 8.47.47 PM.png
Identity - Detritus worm

Common means of transfer: just shows up in tanks, transfer of sponge media, transfer of plants/substrate/decor

Harmful to: Nothing. But can endanger fish/other organisms and use up oxygen when in massive numbers

Benefits: Fish will enjoy eating it when it decides to free swim

What to look for: Free swimming worm, swimming in an S shape, tubular. Not to be confused with planaria which commonly stick to glass

How to eliminate- Practically impossible to fully eliminate but to reduce numbers keep a regular water change schedule and gravel vac often and use a turkey baster/syringe to suck up uneaten food from substrate

Note- These often show up when you disturb substrate/during a water change. They live in the substrate.

I’d like to add to this that detritus worms can consume heavy amounts of oxygen from the tank when they are in great numbers. Keep feeding to appropriate amounts to minimize leftovers that would fuel a population growth.

Last edited:

MissNoodle

Identity: Bladder snail
Common means of transfer: plants, eggs on plants, sometimes from fish at store
Harmful to: nothing, but breeds incredibly fast. Can clog filters.
Benefits: good cleaners, free snack for some fish
What to look for: jelly like clear masses of eggs on plants, rocks, glass, etc. Have thin long antenna (pond snails have thick triangular antanae). Come in various colours. Stay smaller than a dime.
How to eliminate: snail traps, assassin snails, puffer fish, certain loaches, manual removal.
Similarities: pond snails.
20191025_030439.jpg20191025_030421.jpg

MissNoodle

Identity: Great Pond Snail (lymnea stagnalis)
Common means of transfer: eggs on plants, wild plant transfer, deliberate addition
Harmful to: potentially ramshorns should you want them, these snails like to eat ramshorn eggs. Otherwise, not harmful
Benefits: good cleaners, good population control for ramshorns
What to look for: long spiral shell, triangular antenna, no door on shell. Dark brown in colour, reaches 2 inches in length.
How to eliminate: manual removal, assassin snail. Let it die naturally--they need a second snail to reproduce, so a single one will not take over the tank.
Similarities: could be confused with Malaysian trumpet snail (note the door on trumpets), other species in the lymnea family.
20190902_090052.jpg

MissNoodle

Identity: Damselfly larvae
Common means of transfer: plants
Harmful to: small fish, shrimp, fry. Will eat anything, as large or slightly larger to itself.
Benefits: good mosquito control in ponds
What to look for: crawling slender insect with 3 feathered ends to the tail
How to eliminate: manual removal
Similarities: dragonfly larvae.
20190827_192315.jpg

Adult pictured here
20190828_193734.jpg

MissNoodle

Identity: Scud/Freshwater Amphipod
Common means of transfer: plants
Harmful to: nothing
Benefits: feeds on detritus, free loved food for fish
What to look for: swims sideways, often along bottom of tank. Looks like tiny shrimp.
How to eliminate: predatory fish, copper containing meds.
Similarities: other small freshwater shrimp, shrimplets.

20190721_115253.jpg

Last edited:

MissNoodle

Identity: Trapdoor Snail
Common means of transfer: plants, deliberate introduction
Benefits: good tank cleaner
What to look for: similar to mystery snail, has door on shell. Shell is spiraled taller than mystery snail.
Similarities: mystery snail, apple snail. Note higher shell and less facial antenna.

Photos are of a young snail hitchhiked on some hornwort. These can grow as large or slightly larger than mystery snails
20190727_192848.jpg20190821_061045.jpg20190821_061816.jpg20190821_061311.jpg
20191015_224951.jpg
20190822_071623.jpg

Sheldon13

Identity: Copepods
Common means of transfer: live plant purchase, purposeful addition
Benefits: consume algae and particulates in the water column. Filter through detritus
What to look for: little white specks. Males look like short-tailed tadpole. Females carry eggs on either side of their rear and so look like a Venn diagram.
How to eliminate: they are crustaceans so anything designed to eliminate them
Similarities: there are several common species who look similar
e09bc25b9f385164ac5eb1d6de473529.jpg

richiep

These are all pictures I've taken in my tank over time
(1) Assassin snail egg laid singularly in a pod also known as a mermaids purse.
(2) Seed shrimp totally harmless but can become a nuisance if you over feed
(3) Copeapod harmless will eat any decaying matter,but if over fed will be a short term nuisance
(4) Fresh water limpet harmless but can be difficult to get off the glass/ also there's a copeapod with eggs
(5) Hydra this taken with a microscope as unseen otherwise, these can be nasty to shrimp of all ages young fish fry
they sting their prey with darts rendering them motionless and certain death. when ready they will break off an arm this will then become a male or female depending what's needed to survive, cutting these into two will only allow them to regrow
(6) Flat worm harmless can multiply very quick
(7) Carpet bug dosnt belong in a tank but this one got in
(8) Planaria from StarGirl15 on fishlore these have a distinct diamond or triangle head although harmless to fish they will eat shrimp making their way into the body by way of under the carapace where the eat their prey from the inside, stargirl found this by isolating her plants to quarantine had she not it would have been a different story so well done to you
(9) Planaria zero this I a powder that will kill Planaria,Hydra,Flatworm,& snails so if you need to use it take out of the tank what you want to live, this powder is my No1 backup.

Attachments

• 181123152528452.jpg
    181123152528452.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 20181001_143312.jpg
    20181001_143312.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 198
  • 190630132410121.jpg
    190630132410121.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 190714183541975_LI.jpg
    190714183541975_LI.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 217
  • 190709125142251_LI (2).jpg
    190709125142251_LI (2).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 232
  • 190814124554117.jpg
    190814124554117.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 207
  • bug.jpg
    bug.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 211
  • planaria.jpg
    planaria.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 206
  • WIN_20190714_20_03_04_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20190714_20_03_04_Pro.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 199

Coradee

As long as all images are your own or you have permission from other members to use theirs then this is a great idea for a thread & could be very helpful for others.
Keeping chit chat to a minimum would be helpful too so the images don’t get lost in the chat,
I’m going to sticky it

MissNoodle

Pond/Bladder Snail VS Ramshorn Snail Eggs

Pictures depicting both egg masses to show a reference in case you want to see what you got on a plant.

Pond/Bladder

--colourless
--loose jelly pouches filled with tiny eggs. Development is fast.
--if removed from water, will look and feel like slime.
--found anywhere, snails have no preference.
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1573974691986.jpeg

Ramshorn

--clear or sometimes orange-yellow.
--flat sheet of hard gel. If felt by hand, it is firm rather than blobby like bladder eggs.
--snails prefer to lay on flat surface of rocks, equipment, decor, and plant leaves.
--easily scraped off glass with a credit card or scraper and retains flat shape.
--development of eggs is slower than bladder snails, can take weeks to fully hatch.
20191115_063821.jpg

If anyone has mystery snail/apple snail or nirite snail egg photos, that'd be awesome to add as well.

MomeWrath

Awesome thread.
Suggestion - to add an "AKA" along with the "similar to," e.g. a "Scud" is a freshwater amphipod. This along with the scientific name if it is known for each critter would help folks wanting to do additional research on their own. Of course, some of them (like limpets) will have multiple species names associated.

richiep

BLB this is the bug thread

BLB

BLB this is the bug thread
20191205_080032~2.jpg
Planeria
20191205_075915~2.jpg
Planeria

20191206_200218~2.jpg

Mystery snail egg clutch laid above water line. Hardens after a day and will hatch around 2 weeks give or take depending on temperature. If unwanted, just pop it off after it has hardened and throw it away.

MissNoodle

Adding some further examples of bryozoa (see second post to this thread)

Video of a colony in a blackwater setup.
20191211_124240.jpg

MissNoodle

Bryozoa on an anubias leaf, being disturbed. Showing behaviour of this animal.

MissNoodle

Ramshorn eggs on an anubias leaf, showing the distinct flat shape and an orange tint
20200108_223244.jpg

Same eggs, freshly hatched.
20200110_144002.jpg

Freshly hatched snails could easily be mistaken for things such as fish eggs.

Last edited:

MissNoodle

Identity: Cadisfly Larvae
Common means of transfer: plants (hornwort seems to be a common one)
Harmful to: unknown
Benefits: unknown
What to look for: a tube of plant that swims, has a worm on the wider end.
Similarities: possibly other aquatic fly larvae

received_3205500839490288.jpeg

MissNoodle

"WHAT ARE THESE WHITE SPOTS ON MY DRIFTWOOD??"

Nerite snail eggs. Nerites lay them indiscriminately, and no they will not hatch and take over your tank with adorable nerites.

20200119_062514.jpg

MissNoodle

Identity: Leech (egg sacs and young)
Common means of transfer: plants, rocks, driftwood
Harmful to: depends on species, some harmful to fish and inverts.
Benefits: potential live snack to some fish
What to look for: clear or fuzzy sacs attached to surfaces or plants
Similarities: young may be confused with other small worms. They move by grasping one end and scooting the back end forward. May swim similarly to a detritus worm. Unmistakable as an adult. Look for round disc on one end of body--this is the sucker.

Photos courtesy of Laur

20200127_213207.jpg20200127_231929.jpg20200128_165628.jpg

Video of adult leech behaviour (pardon background noise)

Adult leeches (photo: JazzieGurl )
20200129_175635.jpg

Adults with egg casings (JazzieGurl )
20200129_175629.jpg

Last edited:

27lulu

Bryozoa

20200201_111306.jpg20200201_111043.jpg

MissNoodle

Identity: Midge (larvae), many species
Common means of transfer: Used filter media or ornaments with larvae, open windows for adults to enter home
Harmful to: not much, depending on species. Harmless to fish and inverts.
Benefits: snack for fish
What to look for: strings of debris inside filter and in areas where detritus collects.
How to eliminate: unknown
Similarities: detritus worms, but note that detritus will not construct tubes out of detritus to live in like some midge larvae.

20200203_080824.jpg
^inside algae jar with larvae within the tubes visible. If disturbed they will fall out of the tubes.

20200129_163727.jpg
^ tubes on filter tray.

They got into my algae growing jar. Feeding off the algae in the water. Note the detritus tube is green because of the diet of algae. This is normally brown.

20200203_170211.jpg
^adult in my house plant

Last edited:

MissNoodle

Identity: Unknown Annelid Worm
Common means of transfer: unknown
Harmful to: depends. Leeches are considered in this broad family group. This particular one is harmless.
Benefits: snack for fish
What to look for: thin worm, reminiscent of detritus worm but with segments, legs, or hairs on length of body.
How to eliminate: unknown, unless fish prey upon them (see video)
Similarities: detritus worms, flatworms. Note jerky movements while moving more like an earthworm along glass. Note faint "hairs" on side of worm (difficult to see). Will not appear as smooth as detritus worms or flatworms.

Video showing movement

Feohw

Springtails : Collembola
Identity:
Springtails - Isotomidae family (elongated bodied variety). From the genus Isotomurus (there are many more genera often found).
Common means of transfer: Usually floating plants. Emersed plants. Leaf litter.
Harmful to: nothing.
Benefits: Great snack for fish that feed from the surface. Eats dead plant matter, fungus, algae and microorganisms from floating plants and the brace of a tank.
What to look for: Springtails are hexapods, so they will have six legs. Can come in a variety of colours, yellow, black, blue, orange, green and more. Some are patterned and young springtails are incredibly small and white, though otherwise they resemble adults. They don't enter the water column, they stay on the surface of the aquarium and are often found on floating plants and the brace of a tank. They will congregate in moist areas. When spooked they will use a specialized appendage called a furcula, which is folded under the abdomen, to quickly spring up to 4 inches from the threat.
How to eliminate: Increase surface agitation. Some people use a hair dryer to fry those that they see.
Similarities: Fleas, aphids. Unlike fleas which have large hind legs designed for jumping, springtails have normal hind legs. Fleas will be brown and flat side to side, while springtails have a rounder body and come in many colours. Unlike springtails, aphids have more of a pear shape to them.

Adult on my brace (I gave them some moss...)
received_181917856395861.jpeg
received_472768803401307.jpeg
Younger Springtails (and another springtail variety I'll talk about later)
Screenshot_20200212-204612.png
Adult on my floating water sprite:
received_563547187576652.jpeg

Identity: Globular Springtails - Sminthuridae family.
Common means of transfer: Same as above.
Benefits: Same as above, only cuter.
What to look for: Springtails are hexapods, so they will have six legs. Unlike the long bodied members of the Isotomidae family, globular springtails are speherical and more compact. Adults are smaller than their long-bodied counterparts. Their movements are the same as those above. They spend their time on floating plants and braces of tanks and can spring when threatened. These guys are much more numerous in my tank, especially on my plants. The longer-bodied springtails seem to be more numerous on my brace.
How to eliminate: Same as above
Similarities: Same as above.

(I'll see if I can get better pics when I get a better camera)
Globular springtails on my brace enjoying their moss:
received_2730539367040129.jpegreceived_2529056800696950.jpeg

Two springtail types together, the elongated bodied springtail isn't an adult

received_477032269658165.jpeg

Group photo, elongated are more numerous in this pic (and they appear in different stages of their life), but there is a Glob beside the adult.
received_214766729677833.jpeg

Last edited:

richiep

Thinking I should add this link to this thread, very helpful ID site.

Macro photography of freshwater invertebrates.
The link hasn't worked can you repost please

The2dCour

Identity: Vorticella - genus
Common means of transfer: Pond water, other
Harmful to: Shrimp, possibly small fry if it clogs their gills/lungs
Benefits: Infusoria, detritus/filter feeding cleans water
What to look for: White cloud like spot or ring on glass/substrate that occasionally contracts. Cillia appendages.
How to eliminate: Wipe off
Similarities: Potatozoa, cilliates, looks like mold or bacteria growth but moves.

richiep

Although not that common the Oribatid mite is harmless likes to eat the edges of my plant leaves but no real damage as they are so small you'll need a magnifier or macro lens to id them

Attachments

• IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 7

Nomofish

As post #25 above by missnoodle, I beileve I have found midge larvae in shrimp tank, through my own research I believe glassworm/ phantom midge
All I can say is they have a very weird way of moving through the open water when they do, like a spring coiling up and uncoiling with a very fast flicking motion.
I can only hope they are eating the abundant seed shrimp and not my baby neos.
Photo with macro lens20210628_184937(0).jpg20210713_160952.jpgHatched one floating on surface.

Attachments

• 20210628_183506.jpg
    20210628_183506.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 4

Latest threads

Top Bottom