Live Or Fake Plants?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by RainBetta, Jun 17, 2018.

1. RainBetta

RainBetta Well Known Member Member

Hi all! Sorry to jump right in, but for my 10G tank that will only have 1 betta, I'm wondering if you guys think I should get live or fake plants? I'm trying to make this a very low maintenance tank as it is for my dad, so that's why I'm not really sure.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Jessica Lawson

Jessica Lawson New Member Member

There are some low maintenance live plants like anubias and marimo moss balls! Though if you want to go super low maintenance then fake plants are a great option! Just make sure they don't have any sharp edges! I think silk plants are a good option with bettas because their fins can tear easily! You could do fake plants and marimo moss balls if you want both!

3. OP
    OP
    RainBetta

Yeah! I was thinking if I did do a planted tank, then water column feeders would be the easiest. Just add some flourish once a week. Are the any good water column feeding plants that you'd recommend? Java fern?

4. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

If you want low maintenance then fake is probably better, but java fern, moss balls, anubias, are all minimal maintenance except removing unhealthy leaves and dosing weekly. Would not recommend moss, they are easy but can get out of hand, meaning more maintenance.

5. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Honestly, I think planted tanks are a lot lower maintenance because the plants absorb lots of nitrates. It's still very bad to slack on water changes as it replenishes trace minerals for the fish, but you can go a bit longer between them. Anacharis is a great floating plant, and my betta loves to hang out in it. It grows very quickly and absorbs not only nitrates, but ammonia and nitrites as well. It's really cheap too. Java ferns, anubias, java moss, hornwort, and marimo balls are really good as well. Most don't even require flourish, but you'll see faster growth with it.

6. Jessica Lawson

Jessica Lawson New Member Member

Not had any personal experience with Java fern yet but from what I have read yes! Java fern and anubias would be good!

7. OP
    OP
    RainBetta

Okay thanks guys! I think I'll go with a planted tank. I like all the plants you suggested! Every tank that I've used fake plants in has ended up being gross because I can't remove algae off of some of the plants.

8. SegiDream

SegiDream Well Known Member Member

Anubias are great for bettas in my opinion. They can hang out around or on broad leaves depending on which kind(s) you get. Mine really like hanging out in water sprite that I leave floating. With water sprite I have to pull some out about every water change or so but that's the only extra maintenance required.

9. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Valued Member Member

I had a dirted sunlit tank years back that was filterless, only a circ pump plugged in, and it was probably the lowest maintenance tank I've ever had. It was really hard to see the fish through all the plants though.
    Any of the broad leaf Anubias will do well with no fert, low light, etc and will help keep Algae controlled (and a Betta will appreciate the leaves to lay on).
    Ambulia is my favourite stem plant, and it will grow quite slowly with no maintenance (as opposed to trimming 2-3x/week with fert and high light).

10. OP
    OP
    RainBetta

Ambulia is so pretty! Do you guys recommend heavy, moderate, or little planting for a betta? I always did moderate leaning towards heavy because I think that is very pretty, but is it different for bettas?

11. -Mak-

Bettas don't care how many plants there are, I don't think they know what a plant is, it's all your personal preference :)

12. OP
    OP
    RainBetta

Haha. Alright, then, I want to leave enough space for swimming but also have a decent amount of plants. Moderate it is! Any ideas on if I should use gravel (small) or sand? Sand is harder to syphon but I want what will be best for the plants

13. -Mak-

Sand, or gravel small enough to be called sand, though a lot of the suggested plants are not rooted
    To siphon you can wave your hand around in the water and the movement should be enough to stir up debris, without moving the sand much

14. NYFishGuy

NYFishGuy Valued Member Member

I like the sword plants, they are easy and grow well in low light.
    Also my betta likes to swim in them and wedge himself inbetween the plants and the glass and hang out.

15. OP
    OP
    RainBetta

Smart! I will definitely try that

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice