Jmaldo's Discus Build

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
2 years into this wonderful "Wet Pet" journey. With the help and advise from members here and a few other forums. Finally, I think I am ready for "Discus". I have been researching, researching and then more researching. Also, started a thread for "Discus Info" for anyone interested here:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/discus-info-from-successful-discus-keepers.395674/

On to the build. Starting with a 55g, I know people advise the larger the better. And when I am successful, I will be upgrading to a 125g. So here is the tank about 3 weeks ago, freshly cleaned.
More details to follow.

cf5Bc5C.jpg

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay, here are some specs.

55g - Bare bottom for now, considering the addition of black diamond blasting sand.
Filtration - Eheim 2217 along with 2 sponge filters
Lights - Fluval Aquasky and Finnex 24:7 SE (4 hrs on - 3 off- 4 on then off)
Heater - 2x Aqueon Pro set @ 84 degrees
Chihiros doctor
2 Thermometers

Plants in Pots or tied to 3 pcs of driftwood:
2x - Red Tiger Lilly
2x - Anubias
2x - Java Fern
2x - Aponogeton
2x - Bolbitis
1x - Echinodorus Red Flame

Ferts: NilocG DIY EI dosing along with NilocG root tabs

Inhabitants:
4x - Electric Blue Acara (size from 1/2' - 2")
1x - Mystery Snail
Just for the bio-load

Maintenance -
70% weekly water change
Water Parameters:
ph - 7.6
0/0/15
TDS - 200

And here is a pic, of course not ready for prime-time.

mJT9x5D.jpg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That Bolivian ram is good at 84 ?
All the fish are moving when you add the discus ?
I would not add sand ,just me and a lot of tanks ..

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That Bolivian ram is good at 84 ?
All the fish are moving when you add the discus ?
I would not add sand ,just me and a lot of tanks ..
Good eye. The Bolivians were a temporary move while setting up a breeding tank for them. Yes, all the fish will be moving before the "Discus" arrive.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Will be watching . Nice plants! Try to set them up on either side leaving the middle open. Also try to make it so discus can swim around or through them. Try stacking driftwood on top of plant pots. Or even stacking pots. Also some aponogeton need a rest period.
Glad to here those fish are leaving. Good luck and are you ordering your discus online?

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@toosie
Normally when I need a tank say to move fry I transfer some substrate along with the sponge filter. Never a problem. Since this was a larger tank and cleaned very well. I used an established canister filter and sponge filter along with a boost from Seachem Stability.
Just to be safe I did add a couple of doses of ammonia. I expected and did experience a bacterial bloom. After some water changes. no ammonia or nitrites and nitrates. I needed to move some fish around so I added the Bolivans as @coralbandit keenly noticed. All is well.
Hope this helps.

@86 ssinit
I know I have a lot of plants and yes I need clear and safe swimming room for the "Discus". Still undecided where I want to go with the placement. Thanks for the ideas.

Okay, Everyone, what would you do,looking for advise?
I originally planned on picking up the "Discus" from a local breeder, it appears he will be getting the shipment in about 2-3 weeks. Keeping them for me until the I pick them up Memorial weekend. Or should I just order directly from:
http://www.discus-hans-usa.com/

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Okay, Everyone, what would you do,looking for advise?
I originally planned on picking up the "Discus" from a local breeder, it appears he will be getting the shipment in about 2-3 weeks. Keeping them for me until the I pick them up Memorial weekend. Or should I just order directly from:
http://www.discus-hans-usa.com/
How do his discus look? Would you be able to get any pictures? Discus hans is pretty good, so is discusguy

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
During research it was recommended if possible to see the "Discus" before purchase, but...
Looking for 5-6 Blue Diamonds around 3"+.
I have viewed some pics and vids of some of their stock. All look good and have good reviews. I have been in contact with 2 local breeders and 1 LFS. Waiting for pics/vids,

toosie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Normally when I need a tank say to move fry I transfer some substrate along with the sponge filter. Never a problem. Since this was a larger tank and cleaned very well. I used an established canister filter and sponge filter along with a boost from Seachem Stability.
Just to be safe I did add a couple of doses of ammonia. I expected and did experience a bacterial bloom. After some water changes. no ammonia or nitrites and nitrates. I needed to move some fish around so I added the Bolivans as @coralbandit keenly noticed. All is well.
Hope this helps.
If seeded media was transferred the bacteria needed a constant supply of ammonia to feed it. Stability also needs a constant supply of ammonia to feed it. It sounds like you gave it some ammonia but then did water changes before the bacteria consumed it and after doing water changes you were reading zeros.

Bacteria blooms are heterotrophic bacteria and not nitrosomonas. They aren't an indication a tank is cycled.

I am concerned that once the discus are in the tank that you may find the tank isn't cycled. I would not at this point assume it is.

toosie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It does take a while for the bacteria to even go dormant though, longer to die
It does but was it ever cycled to a degree that it can handle the amount of waste from that many discus in the first place? I'm not saying there is no bacteria, but I don't think enough to be able to handle the bio load. And without dosing ammonia and seeing a certain amount disappear and transferred through to nitrates in 24 hours.....

I'd hate to see the discus go into a tank that can't handle them.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Totally agree with that, @jmaldo if you have some prime you could dose the ammonia to 1ppm and see how long it takes to go away. Just to get an idea of the size of the colony

toosie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Totally agree with that, @jmaldo if you have some prime you could dose the ammonia to 1ppm and see how long it takes to go away. Just to get an idea of the size of the colony
The 2 bolivians in there complicate things. I'd sooner see them removed and then see this bacteria colony grown to a comfortable size for the discus. Discus really need a well established bacteria colony.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom