Jmaldo's Discus Build

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wattley’s has some great looking fish. Are you getting all blue diamond? The red snakeskin or the leopard discus are pretty nice looking.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am liking the discussMadness but mostly for color which may not be completely accurate in pics .
Yea you are set on the blue ? There are just so many other colors beside blue and pigeon ...

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, I prefer the "Blues".
We like what we like. LOL

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like poppa rynos personally. I think because they kinda look two toned but that may just be the sun shining on them.

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Time to decide.

Ok, I have posted pic/vids from 4 different breeders for purchase of Blue Diamonds. I understand it is very difficult to rate based on the pics/vids. Would appreciate any comments based purely on what you see and your choice. All fish in the 3" inch size range and pricing is basically $50 per fish.
Just a quick reminder:

Wattley Discus - Post #31
Poppa Ryan - Post #37
Discus Madness - Post #39
Dennis Discu - Post #46

Curious what "Discus" would you choose?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure if you looked but it says there out of stock on all of there blue Discus. Dennis

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
86 ssinit said:
Not sure if you looked but it says there out of stock on all of there blue Discus.
I saw the same thing earlier in the week. Contacted, he has them just has not updated the website. He just got in over 200 fish. He sent the vid last night.

Thedudeiam94

Well Known
Reaction score
They all look good!! I just recommend whichever price suits you the best at this point. That’s mainly the only other factor in play at this point.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes I’m with the Wattleys. You got me thinking of getting back to Discus. Colors are just unbelievable. Looking at a 125 now and hoping to have everything ready for next winter .

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok, Fishlorians. So far it is 50-50 "Wattleys and Dennis Discus"

Just a quick reminder:

Poppa Ryan - Post #37
Dennis Discu - Post #46

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I’m with Wattley and I liked the blue diamond and there red snakeskin. Nice to have a few different colors.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jmaldo said:
Ok, Fishlorians. So far it is 50-50 "Wattleys and Dennis Discus"

Just a quick reminder:

Poppa Ryan - Post #37
Dennis Discu - Post #46

Which one do like better and why .
IMO each offer a different advantage.
2 of the choices breed their own discus or they are the same ,and two sell someone else fish straight out ?
I would choose from the two that breed their own . If Ryan did not breed the blues himself then they are Wattley as he is a registered Wattley distributor.
It sounded like Dennis just got them in ..From where ? Asia ,Wattley ?? And DM is just a distributor for Danzinger I believe .Last I talked to Mathias he was not breeding fish himself ,although I heard them mention a warehouse ?

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
coralbandit
Good Questions and points.

Which one do like better and why?
I like Dennis Discus. they have the most consistent color and shape.

2 of the choices breed their own discus or they are the same ,and two sell someone else fish straight out ?
Yes, you are correct during my search it appears all of them distribute others fish. According to Ryan he breed them himself but they are originally "Wattley" stock.

It sounded like Dennis just got them in ..From where ? Asia
Yes, from a farm in Malaysia he has had them for 3 weeks.

There is a possibility of getting some from "Hans Discus" but it appears the shipment will not arrive for another 2 weeks and still from a distributor in Baltimore.

I just want to give myself the best opportunity for success, these are not $10 fish. Right now the pricing is relatively the same at $50 per fish (6-8 fish around $400 range). I am well aware there are no guarantees with any breeder I choose, it is all up to me.

So here is the dilemma, when I am successful and want to add more fish, according to the experts I will be limited on the fish I could add ?

From all the research I have done. It appears it not advisable to mix fish from different regions or breeders due to the particular pathogens they carry. Myth or Fact?

Thanks

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I say fact ,BUT one that can be overcome by QT and treatment on a prophylatic level..
Learn about PP my man ..It kills pathogens ,instead beating them up like many meds !
I would get my fish from a breeder. Either Ryan or Wattley . They know their fish better and hopefully will be more responsible about the sale.
I don't hold a lot of respect for those who just sell others fish ..No real skill , ALL LUCK IMO !

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well all of the breeders/sellers have enough variety that you won’t need to go elsewere. New to me this no mix thing. 2 of your sellers are already doing this. I also never heard of a breeder selling someone else’s fish. Makes him a wholesaler? I also would recommend a breeder. Have you looked into local breeders,hobbyists basement breeders. This is where I got most of my fish years ago. Never had a problem with mixing them. Of course after a month in qt. Never introduced to the tank more than 2 at a time.
As I said before Wattley has been doing this forever.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
86 ssinit said:
Well all of the breeders/sellers have enough variety that you won’t need to go elsewere. New to me this no mix thing. 2 of your sellers are already doing this. I also never heard of a breeder selling someone else’s fish. Makes him a wholesaler? I also would recommend a breeder. Have you looked into local breeders,hobbyists basement breeders. This is where I got most of my fish years ago. Never had a problem with mixing them. Of course after a month in qt. Never introduced to the tank more than 2 at a time.
As I said before Wattley has been doing this forever.
I may be wrong but I believe there was a discussion about the Asian strains possibly being infected with something like a iridiovirus for discus .Although kept to themselves they may be fine when mixed with American discus usually the Americans suffered an 'unknown' issue leading to total wipe outs shortly after being introduced.
Sorry to speak out of turn [without proof ] but I have little if any 'faith' or belief the Asain markets cares one bit about long term health and sustainability over making a buck . It ain't that cheap to ship live fish from abroad so if they even come close to competing on cost they surely could not have invested as much into breeding and raising them ? Take that for what it is worth from the ram guy ! I sell fish BECASE OF THEM !

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And just another breeder to look at is Macs discus. They have also been around since the 80s. Looked up there web site and they have a lot available. They do breed but I’m not sure of all there stock. They may get from others or they may get others fish and than breed them for sale. Again they’ve been around a long time.

New Threads