Car Guys/girls? - Page 30

John58ford

nikm128 said:
Ummm, oops
Such symmetry! How did you manage this artistic interpretation of speed stripes behind all the fenders and a center emphasised splitter?

nikm128

Well the new splitter was the fun part, you see there was a tire in the middle of my lane on the highway and there was no way for me to avoid it by the time I saw it so the splitter came from eating said tire at about 50mph. The racing stripes are more on me because the shoulder was stupidly narrow and I scraped the guard rail a little bit when I pulled over

John58ford

nikm128 said:
Well the new splitter was the fun part, you see there was a tire in the middle of my lane on the highway and there was no way for me to avoid it by the time I saw it so the splitter came from eating said tire at about 50mph. The racing stripes are more on me because the shoulder was stupidly narrow and I scraped the guard rail a little bit when I pulled over
That said, you did amazing to only get 1/4-1/2" deep gouge in the fenders, most people that rub a wall/k rail etc get the tire sucked in and hit it good. Solid display of not losing your stuff when you heard it rubbing.

Bummer about the tire in the road. I once had a semi fling a re-tread into/through a windshield. It was pre-dash cam days and I ate the cost. Did you find the offending vehicle up the road at least so you could file a claim?

nikm128

It honestly might not even be that deep too, there’s only one spot where I made it all the way to the body through the paint.
Unfortunately there was no sign of where it came from, it was definitely from a semi though based on the size. I managed to hit it 5-10 minutes before a safety truck came to clean it up too

The nice thing is my dad does insurance so we have an idea of what we’re getting into before making a claim. We should be covered for the damage from the tire since it was the best case scenario, but as I expected the damage to the side is probably gonna be on me

Lakefish

Anybody fix their own rust spots? I'm wondering if the grinding is best done with something aggressive like an angle grinder, or if I'm better off with a dremel, or other...I just don't want to go through all the way by accident. Lol. But also I can't hold onto a power tool for long periods of time (too many hours of string trimming damaged hands/arms).

Wrench

Lakefish said:
Anybody fix their own rust spots? I'm wondering if the grinding is best done with something aggressive like an angle grinder, or if I'm better off with a dremel, or other...I just don't want to go through all the way by accident. Lol. But also I can't hold onto a power tool for long periods of time (too many hours of string trimming damaged hands/arms).
What are you unrusting???? , you can get away with and also do a bit of damage by spraying the rust down with coca cola or a monster energy drink and then hitting it with a wire wheel.
They also make a gun type tool that emits sound and light that eats ways rust.

My first alignment at my new job today.
Working for JBA performance shop.
Had a blast...plan on having a blast there for at least another 20 years or more.

John58ford , you would be drooling looking in this place...its ridiculous, every mustang in there is blown and making well over 500hp, some in the 1,000 area.
This cobra is ridiculous though...first time driving one and accidentally broke the tires loose a few times.

Pridedcloth3

Ls swapped 82 270zx. P&P heads 3000 stall speedway stage 2 cam Merica turbo kit long tube headers Ford 8.8 rear end with 4.10s Mickey Thompson all around tuned for vp c12 fuel 14:1 compression. No seat belts or cage just me in a ticking timebomb blowing bald eagles out the tailpipe while uncle Sam drinks Jack daniels in the passenger seat singing yankee doodle.

Jimjam82

jamie carmichael said:
I am a huge car addict and would like to know if any other aquarists out there have love for cars too. I've heard that weirdly these two hobbys are linked but there's only one way to know. Btw any car guys I don't mind I have respect for all cars but my personal favourite my dads 07 e63 amg. That thing is a beast!
I have a huge love for cars too. I've just swapped my 68 BMW X5M for 69 Range Rover Sport. I've also go a 2011 SL500 AMG but use that very often.

Your Dad obviously has good taste as well as you..

coralbandit

Passed a BMW i8 yesterday .
A nice ride I never knew about ..
Stock picture ;

Wrench

coralbandit said:
Passed a BMW i8 yesterday .
A nice ride I never knew about ..
Stock picture ;
You should see one of the mid 90s 8 series...one in particular looks like michael keaton's batmobile...it was awesome

Pariah

I may not have the coolest ride here, but she's reliable and excellent in the snow. I bought it at a "hail sale" in 2016. Only had 6,000 miles and was traded in because of an epic hailstorm that went through Billings, MT. Sure, it looks like a golf ball in person, but it saved me $14,000 for some cosmetic flaws. It's for the best because everyone likes hitting it. Less than a month after buying it we got rearended sitting at a stoplight. I pulled into a parking lot to wait for a tow truck and as we're waiting a truck runs into my driver's side door. Then as they are loading it onto the tow truck, the same person who hit my door backs into the side opposite of my first smack of the day and did a did a couple grand worth of damage to that side. Two weeks later I get my car back with a new door, two shiny new corner panels and a new rear hatch. Three days later and a guy runs into the back of my parked car. I know darn well who it was, but I couldn't prove it. I was hard up financially at the time because our accountant just cleaned out our bank accounts, so I pulled the interior panels on the hatch and popped out the dent as best as I could by hand. About a month later, a guy backed into my driver's side rear quarter panel... Now whenever some inconsiderate person at Walmart rams my car with their cart, I don't worry about it. I've also since installed 1080 dash cams all around so I have 360° views at all times.

2015 Kia Sportage AWD

Lakefish

Wrench said:
What are you unrusting???? , you can get away with and also do a bit of damage by spraying the rust down with coca cola or a monster energy drink and then hitting it with a wire wheel.
They also make a gun type tool that emits sound and light that eats ways rust.
Around the wheel wells mostly, couple spots on the door. Tons of rock chips all over my car. Realistically I'm not going for a perfect job, just trying to stop things from actively rusting. It's not a valuable or special enough car to dump a ton of money on.
Congrats on your awesome new job

Wrench

Lakefish said:
Around the wheel wells mostly, couple spots on the door. Tons of rock chips all over my car. Realistically I'm not going for a perfect job, just trying to stop things from actively rusting. It's not a valuable or special enough car to dump a ton of money on.
Congrats on your awesome new job
Thank you, they also make a spray can that penetrates rust and stops the spread, I cannot remember what it is called but when it goes on it is white and when it hits rust and cures it turns to a black primer base.
Very cool stuff.

John58ford

Wrench said:
Thank you, they also make a spray can that penetrates rust and stops the spread, I cannot remember what it is called but when it goes on it is white and when it hits rust and cures it turns to a black primer base.
Very cool stuff.
"Rust-reformer" by Rust-Oleum in the jug works well. It uses a zinc formula to neutralize and seal the metal so it can no longer oxidize. CRC "rust converter" is the product that claims to leave a primer surface it works similar to the Rust-Oleum product in effect. I have found that both of them work the best with an etching type primer before any acrilic finish coats.

Now, this is of course usually withheld at my place for the trucks headed out to the dunes or the mud runs. The finish you will get over either product looks textured, just like the depth and grain of the rust it covered.

When I lived in Michigan I had a monster bronco basically held together by cookie sheets glued on with 5200 marine adhesive and set with rivets. Most of the remaining body was hit with a flapper wheel, stripper disc, primed with a zinc based primer and forgotten about. The second half of that is how I would go about it if you're good with the "10 foot rule". Just the rust reformer usually produced a finish that is "parking lot good" or as I have also heard it called "good enough for a bar pick up" because clearly only a drunk would get in that car with you.

JuiceBox52

Just got a BMW i3. Not the prettiest car but a really good one to drive!

Wrench

Got to work on David Wells the pitcher for the yankees 1933 ford.
Replacing all the four link bushing and strut bushings.

Pariah

Wrench said:
Got to work on David Wells the pitcher for the yankees 1933 ford.
Replacing all the four link bushing and strut bushings.
They've nailed the color!

Lakefish

John58ford said:
"Rust-reformer" by Rust-Oleum in the jug works well. It uses a zinc formula to neutralize and seal the metal so it can no longer oxidize. CRC "rust converter" is the product that claims to leave a primer surface it works similar to the Rust-Oleum product in effect. I have found that both of them work the best with an etching type primer before any acrilic finish coats.

Now, this is of course usually withheld at my place for the trucks headed out to the dunes or the mud runs. The finish you will get over either product looks textured, just like the depth and grain of the rust it covered.

When I lived in Michigan I had a monster bronco basically held together by cookie sheets glued on with 5200 marine adhesive and set with rivets. Most of the remaining body was hit with a flapper wheel, stripper disc, primed with a zinc based primer and forgotten about. The second half of that is how I would go about it if you're good with the "10 foot rule". Just the rust reformer usually produced a finish that is "parking lot good" or as I have also heard it called "good enough for a bar pick up" because clearly only a drunk would get in that car with you.
Thanks for that. Hadn't heard of that use for cookie sheets, haha. If I had an old truck I'd be tempted to armour up the lower parts that way. Prevent all the chipping.

Frank the Fish guy

Someday, I wish to find THIS and make it new again and derivable. The Kojak car!
1973 Buick Century, Cop specs.

JuiceBox52

My grandpa has a really old ambulance that needs fixed up. I dont have any pics now but next time i go to his house ill try to get one. I think you people would like it. I wanted to fix it up and have that be my every day car but that didnt happen lol

Wrench

Pariah said:
They've nailed the color!
It is very pretty.
Definately got the ford blue spot on.

86 ssinit

Wrench you really are adding some great pics to this thread!! Thanks!! Congrats on the new job!
Wow I didn’t even know Kojak had a car. That car will be hard to find. I would say most were crushed 20 yrs ago. I mean it doesn’t even look familiar. You may find one in a junk yard in Arizona parked next to a matador or a pacer. Good luck on that!!

Wrench

86 ssinit said:
Wrench you really are adding some great pics to this thread!! Thanks!! Congrats on the new job!
Wow I didn’t even know Kojak had a car. That car will be hard to find. I would say most were crushed 20 yrs ago. I mean it doesn’t even look familiar. You may find one in a junk yard in Arizona parked next to a matador or a pacer. Good luck on that!!
86 ssinit I'll keep posting daily of what I am working on and what is being done as well if you guys would like , I havent even taken pictures of the crazy stuff yet like 900hp 68 mustang's hahaha..driving that cobra on Thursday though tried to test my moral compass and love for chevys...it tried hahaha, very fun car to drive,my manager and myself both scared the customer on road tests,he was tapping out and wincing every time we got on it hahaha.

nikm128

I went to a small car meet last night, saw some pretty nice cars

Wrench

nikm128 said:
I went to a small car meet last night, saw some pretty nice cars
Those are nice but and I promise I never thought I would say this,......the v.w is the coolest one in your pictures hahaha.

86 ssinit

Funny if you go back to the Kojak Buick picture you’ll see a nice looking bug there too.

Wrench

86 ssinit said:
Funny if you go back to the Kojak Buick picture you’ll see a nice looking bug there too.
Well I'll be..........., SLUG BUG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!
WWWWWHHHHHHAAAAACCCCKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!

JuiceBox52

Wrench said:
Well I'll be..........., SLUG BUG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!
WWWWWHHHHHHAAAAACCCCKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm dying that was too funny

Wrench

JuiceBox52 said:
I'm dying that was too funny
lest we forget,Our good childhood memories of getting hurt and not going home and beating on our friends hahaha.

86 ssinit

Yes that was my boys but they called them punch buggies .

Wrench

86 ssinit said:
Yes that was my boys but they called them punch buggies .
Lol, my friend always found them just before me

It was always irritating.

Joker77

not sure if i posted any of my cars in here before but a few quick pics I took of my Toyota Gt-4 after a hailstorm when some fog rolled in.

nikm128

Rumor has it dodge is going to build a charger variant to dethrone the demon. It’s called the ghoul and 1,000hp is the projected figure

Cheesecake

I know it's not a car buuuuut...

Right now we're trying to get our go-kart running again after sitting for like 3 years. We've had some success, as it's trying to turn over, but we aren't there yet. It starts and will run for about 15ft before dying. We just replaced the fuel tank and fuel line. We used starter fluid but no luck (battery is fully charged and is only 2 years old).
What else could be wrong?

Betta'sAnonymous

Cheesecake said:

Right now we're trying to get our go-kart running again after sitting for like 3 years. We've had some success, as it's trying to turn over, but we aren't there yet. It starts and will run for about 15ft before dying. We just replaced the fuel tank and fuel line. We used starter fluid but no luck (battery is fully charged and is only 2 years old).
Any kind of fuel filter on that thing? How about fresh oil and sparkplug(s)?

MomeWrath

Cheesecake said:

Did it sit with fuel in it? Did you fog it before storing? Tiny carburetors like those get varnished from old fuel and might need a cleaning/rebuild. A can of SeaFoam probably wouldn't hurt either.

Betta02

Love the classics here! Told my hubby several years ago that he needed a hobby, because he worked too much. So, he decided to restore classic cars. These are the three he has 'finished', (they are never done). Have several more that are various stages of restoration. These are the 1966 Buick Electra 225 convertible. Haven't done much to this one except put a new top on it last month. Paint job is in the works along with interior restoration. The 1970 Buick Skylark is pretty much done, and the truck is my 1976 Ford F150 4x4. It's an F150 body on an F250 frame. It survived a forest fire before we bought it, and it spent months in the body work stage. It has a Cobra Jet motor that was pulled out of a farm truck in Texas that ran on propane. The motor is a bit much for this truck, and will eventually be moved into another car.

Betta02

Frank the Fish guy said:
Someday, I wish to find THIS and make it new again and derivable. The Kojak car!
1973 Buick Century, Cop specs.

My hubby is a Buick fan! I posted some pictures of his 'finished' restorations at the end of this thread.

Cheesecake

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Any kind of fuel filter on that thing? How about fresh oil and sparkplug(s)?
Sparkplugs are new and so is the oil. I'll have to check about the fuel filter though.

MomeWrath said:
Did it sit with fuel in it? Did you fog it before storing? Tiny carburetors like those get varnished from old fuel and might need a cleaning/rebuild. A can of SeaFoam probably wouldn't hurt either.
It did yeah. Nope no kind of preparation. And we didn't store it; it just sat in the garage lol.
We are cleaning the carburetor now actually. Hopefully that will at least help solve the problem.

FitSoldier

Now I don't advocate street racing, but today I raced another car (BMW M series) for the first time in the 2 years I've had my 2018 Mustang GT. It was exhilarating!

I'm not joking when I said I NEVER drive my Coyote hard despite tuning it last year to make 490 crank horsepower; I always drive like a grandma and one guy road raged at me for driving too slow. But today was the first time I floored it and **** it put me in my seat! My keys fell out of my pocket too! And the whole block could hear both our exhausts lol I greatly underestimated the 5.0L Coyote engines!

I want to say I won, but I think he slowed down when he realized I was passing him. So I guess it doesn't count. It was a friendly race though!

After today, I think I fell in love with Challengers. I realized I like the "straight line" experience a lot more. In the future, I'm seriously considering trading in my 'Stang for the Hellcat (in manual).

My neighbour's 1969 Buick Riveria. 650 crank horsepower with 700 lbs. of torque. 455 big block. Loud as heck! I love it.

He told me this car has been passed down within the family since they bought her new.

Cheesecake

FitSoldier said:
Now I don't advocate street racing, but today I raced another car (BMW M series) for the first time in the 2 years I've had my 2018 Mustang GT. Holy **** it was exhilarating!

I'm not joking when I said I NEVER drive my Coyote hard despite tuning it last year to make 490 crank horsepower; I always drive like a grandma and one guy road raged at me for driving too slow. But today was the first time I floored it and **** it put me in my seat! My keys fell out of my pocket too! And the whole block could hear both our exhausts lol I greatly underestimated the 5.0L Coyote engines!

I want to say I won, but I think he slowed down when he realized I was passing him. So I guess it doesn't count. It was a friendly race though!

After today, I think I fell in love with Challengers. I realized I like the "straight line" experience a lot more. In the future, I'm seriously considering trading in my 'Stang for the Hellcat (in manual).
Well done.

FitSoldier said:
My neighbour's 1969 Buick Riveria. 650 crank horsepower with 700 lbs. of torque. 455 big block. Loud as heck! I love it.

He told me this car has been passed down within the family since they bought her new.

Ahhh the classic Riviera. One of the cleanest shapes to ever come out of Detroit IMO.

Saw some pretty cool stuff today. On the 1 out of 2 billion chance that these are real, then they are some of the rarest cars I will ever see.
Shelby Daytona Coupe (99.9999% sure it's a kit, as only 6 of the original car were built and they're valued at $8,000,000 large. I think it's a continuation of the car, of which 130 were made. Still pretty sweet though!).

It was chilling with some friends:

(The Cobra's are 100% kits; the white one had LED lights and the green one has non-stock wheels and 2 roll bars).

coralbandit

Took a ride up North ..

Got my custom plates ;

86 ssinit

Nice nice nice!!! Good lookin car and Mrs Bandit!!. So what do you think of the excelsior plates. Look faded to me.

coralbandit

86 ssinit said:
Nice nice nice!!! Good lookin car and Mrs Bandit!!. So what do you think of the excelsior plates. Look faded to me.
I like the orange plates but nothing wrong with the excelsior .

It was hard to photo . With a flash it kept washing out to a complete reflection .
I put the stow and go plate mount on front of vette but maybe they [ the police] won't be able to read it if the y shine a light on it ??
After seeing that picture ^^ I figured I better get a hair cut before we get locked down again !

Loving the summer with the top down ..

Blueberrybetta

my Nissan 300zx 5 speed

Cheesecake

Cold&warm I have to get more Daytona pictures from my brother since he took them with his phone, but I went to a show today and got some good pics.

This is probably my favorite:

The owner of this car was, um, well, he was a bit conceited, and once you see what car he had, you'll understand why.
I get someone being proud of their car, but when he said "All modern McLarens are GT cars except for this one and this is the best McLaren ever made" I was just like "Yeah okay buddy."
He also said that the Gallardo he used to have was just an Audi and that the R8 he had was just a Lamborghini...............
Whatever. He had a nice car.

Cheesecake

IMO this car is one of the most beautiful American vehicles ever created, along with the '63 Vette and Buick Riviera.

Betta'sAnonymous

WD40 wasn't breaking the rust down for me to tighten the nuts proper, but thanks to my redneck brain, it doesn't rattle anymore!

MomeWrath

Well the Beemer almost got the boot yesterday. Found a Black/Red Stripes Mini Cooper Countryman John Cooper Works at my local MINI dealer. Called to arrange a test drive, and they said the car was being sold right then... Not meant to be I suppose. But then I got in the BMW to come to work this morning and remembered why I bought it to begin with. So all is good. I'll keep my Big Fat Fanny a while I guess.

Cheesecake

MomeWrath said:
Well the Beemer almost got the boot yesterday. Found a Black/Red Stripes Mini Cooper Countryman John Cooper Works at my local MINI dealer. Called to arrange a test drive, and they said the car was being sold right then... Not meant to be I suppose. But then I got in the BMW to come to work this morning and remembered why I bought it to begin with. So all is good. I'll keep my Big Fat Fanny a while I guess.
Are you leasing it?
You should probably keep your cars longer..........

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom