Back In The Game... - Page 25

DarkOne
I went to my LFS to pick up some more driftwood for the plecos and this little guy followed me home.

2020-09-26 18.43.34-1.jpg

I shuffled a lot of fish lately. I have a strong suspicion that my Agassizii group is all male (thin bodied) so it makes sense that I got no eggs. I might have to search for some females at a later date. Sterbais are popping out 20-40 eggs every 10 days or so but I'm not sure I want to keep breeding them. I talked to the FW fish mgr at my LFS and we were talking about the fish I was breeding. He has a source for Sterbai so he wasn't interested unless I had full grown ones. I have about 50 in 4 tanks but I'm keeping them. He seemed very interested in the brown BN plecos but he has too many albinos. He also likes my EBAs so I might keep raising small batches of them (they just spawned again). No luck with the RNTs yet. I might just put them back in the main tank but I already lost 2 so I kinda want them to spawn.

DarkOne
Took some EBA fry out.

2020-09-27 20.28.40-1.jpg

A piece of zucchini fell off the fork in the pleco fry breeder box, blocking the output and overflowing it. About 40 fry escaped and I think I caught most of them over a few fishing sessions throughout the day yesterday. There's only corydoras in the tank they escaped into so no danger of getting eaten. I moved 5 albinos into the sterbai fry breeder box because it's starting to get some diatoms growing on the sides. They can also help clean up the bottom of the tank.

DarkOne
I've been catching a couple of fry every day or so and I think there's only 1 left in the main tank. The 5 in the Sterbai fry box has kept it clean.

I've kept a slice of zucchini and 2 string beans in the tank every day with a slice of Repashy every night. I clean the box twice a day and this pic was taken 5 mins after cleaning it.

2020-10-04 00.58.43.jpg

I have 3 breeder boxes filled with fry (Sterbai, BN Plecos and EBA). I found out that Rummynose Tetras need to be in a very warm tank (85-92°F) to breed so I added a heater and slowly upped it to 88°F. I'll leave it like this for a couple of weeks and if nothing happens, they'll be moved back to the group and I'll have an extra tank to raise fry.

DarkOne
The lone pleco in the main tank. I left him there to help keep the tank clean.

2020-10-09 01.18.24.jpg

EBAs are starting to eat crushed TCTG. There's still a few that won't eat it so I've been feeding microworms too. I added 2 plecos to clean the breeder box.

2020-10-09 01.02.36-1.jpg

The 5 plecos in the Sterbay fry box is doing their job of keeping the box clean. I can also overfeed them and the excess food is eaten by the plecos.

2020-10-09 01.02.33.jpg

These guys are growing fast. I clean the other 2 breeder boxes every day but I have to clean the pleco box twice a day at least.

2020-10-09 01.02.28.jpg

DarkOne
The pleco breeder box is getting overcrowded so I separated the albinos out to the QT that's holding the L029 pleco. It's been 2 1/2 weeks with no issues and I need some space. I moved 12 into the OLC tank (20g) to clean it up from all the algae and within 2 days, it's mostly clean. Not bad for little fry. The 4 lemons cleaned my new 10g planted tank in less than a day but they're at least 3x bigger.

So... 12 albinos in the OLC tank, 5 in the Sterbai fry breeder box, 2 in the EBA breeder box and 58 in the QT makes 77 albinos total.

2020-10-13 23.47.42-1.jpg

I'm guessing about 100 browns. I'll need to move at least some of these guys soon.

2020-10-13 23.48.08-1.jpg

DarkOne
This is turning into a BN pleco breeding thread.

I got a new Lee's box filter (Medium) and one pleco already got trapped in it. I had to take the whole thing apart and be extra careful not to crush it. On the upside, I was able to put a mexican pebble in it to weigh it down a bit more.

2020-10-14 18.10.25.jpg

I decided to move some of my browns into the 10g because the breeder box is still packed. I started scooping shrimp nets full of them at a time. I counted these at just over 110 and there's 50 more in the breeder box. I'll probably move the rest into the 10g later tonight. That makes over 240 BN pleco fry!!!

2020-10-14 17.49.14.jpg

This is 50 pleco fry.

2020-10-14 17.49.21.jpg

EBAs are getting big but not quite big enough for a tank so I'll move them into the large breeder box (this is a medium).

2020-10-14 18.37.04.jpg

DarkOne
Repashy and zucchini.

2020-10-19 22.30.46-1.jpg

Just fed these guys some crushed TCTG so the water is cloudy.

2020-10-19 23.10.26.jpg

Same here. I added a little filter b/c there's too many fry. I need to clear out another 10g for these guys.

2020-10-19 23.10.33.jpg

DarkOne
It's been about 5 weeks so I decided to move my L029 into the main pleco tank. He's been inside a watering spike for at least 4 weeks that I know of so I was a bit worried he wasn't getting any food but he's got a nice rounded belly so he's definitely been eating very well.

2020-11-02 22.43.11.jpg

I threw in some food and my L075 pokes his head out for a snack. I would guess he's about 7-8" now. My L253 Sunshines are at least 6" now. The L128s have grown a bit too since taking out the EBA juvies (they're pigs). L134s are doing really well too.

2020-11-02 22.49.38.jpg

DarkOne
And since this is my thread...

I taught my dog to sit up. Took about 2 months. He's 10 yrs old.

2020-10-24 19.34.28.jpg

DarkOne
It's been a while. EBA fry are getting over an inch long now. I moved them to a 30g breeder tank with some of my BN pleco fry. They're also over an inch now. I've been doing 10-75% water changes every day in this tank. Usually 10% and 50% every other day. 75% on the weekend. I must be getting better at raising EBA fry as I haven't lost a single one. I've also lost less than a handful of BN fry. I've been moving the smallest BNs into some tanks that have algae problems and they seem to help a lot. I have 2 Albinos in a 2.6g Fluval Spec with 4 guppies.

2021-01-08 18.30.56.jpg

I got a group of shell dwellers from Lchi87 last year. I lost 1 from being buried inside a shell. I found it when I was cleaning the tank and it was half decomposed so I don't know how long ago it was. Other than that, they've been spawning regularly but I guess the 20g long was too small and I never saw juvies until last week. Most stayed in the center and right part of the tank but about a month ago, some started migrating over to the left side of the tank and spread out. I've seen 3 groups of fry and this one juvie that's about 1/2" (on the far right in the pic). I would guess at least 10 fry between the 3 groups.

2021-01-14 13.39.33.jpg

fishbreeeder
set up your 55g in the basment LOL

DarkOne
fishbreeeder said:
set up your 55g in the basment LOL
I tossed the 55g last year.

I put a few albino BNs in the OLC tank and they grew much faster than the others. There's 17 albinos and 1 brown that I missed when they escaped while in a breeder box.

2021-01-14 14.31.35-1.jpg

I'm trying not to do too much with plants as I've lost fish because of them but I've been playing with dirted tanks and they tend to work out really well. I started with the Fluval Spec III (2.6g) and the crypts thrived in there despite my neglect. I set up a 5.5g and the dwarf sag and pearl weed took over. I set up this 10g a few months ago and after acclimating for 2 months, the crypt is doing really well. I originally put the crypt in my 75g and it just laid flat but propagated some new plants so those are what I used. There's 4 lemon blue eyed BNs in this tank. They're juvies so once they grow a bit bigger, they'll be moved to a bigger tank. They're doing a great job with the algae.

2021-01-09 22.13.41.jpg

I decided to experiment in my 75g. I dug up the remaining crypt (wendtii red) and used a plastic shoe box with 1.5" dirt and 1.5" gravel (bdbs). I layered the bottom with some Osmocote for added nutrients. I just did this last week so I don't expect to see improvements for at least a month.

2021-01-14 14.25.09-1.jpg

DarkOne
New additions. L014 Sunshine and 3 C Schwartzi. I went to drop off some albino BNs at my LFS and I spotted these guys and I couldn't resist. I had to move the 4 L144 blue eyed lemon BNs and use the 10g dirted tank as my QT. They all came from the same tank so QT'ing all together should be fine.

2021-01-25 16.02.46.jpg

2021-01-25 16.04.38.jpg

DioAquatics
DarkOne said:
New additions. L014 Sunshine and 3 C Schwartzi. I went to drop off some albino BNs at my LFS and I spotted these guys and I couldn't resist. I had to move the 4 L144 blue eyed lemon BNs and use the 10g dirted tank as my QT. They all came from the same tank so QT'ing all together should be fine.

2021-01-25 16.02.46.jpg

2021-01-25 16.04.38.jpg
What LFS are you finding these beautiful plecos at?!?

DarkOne
DioAquatics said:
What LFS are you finding these beautiful plecos at?!?
Absolutely Fish! They usually have a decent selection of rare(ish) plecos but it can take some time to get a specific type. Fish Hut also stocks some plecos.

DioAquatics
DarkOne said:
Absolutely Fish! They usually have a decent selection of rare(ish) plecos but it can take some time to get a specific type. Fish Hut also stocks some plecos.
I’m going to have to start really looking at the plecos they have. I need some nice plecos for my tanks

DarkOne
DioAquatics said:
I’m going to have to start really looking at the plecos they have. I need some nice plecos for my tanks
They have a few L128 Blue Phantoms that are about 2.5" at a good price ($50). They get to about 5-7" but they're one of the slower growing plecos from my experience. Usually, most plecos grow 50-75% of their full size within the first year and then slowly to their full size over the next few years.

Discus Madness has a great selection of plecos (the main reason I went there so often). Beital's isn't bad either but they don't always have a lot of plecos sometimes.

DioAquatics
DarkOne said:
They have a few L128 Blue Phantoms that are about 2.5" at a good price ($50). They get to about 5-7" but they're one of the slower growing plecos from my experience. Usually, most plecos grow 50-75% of their full size within the first year and then slowly to their full size over the next few years.

Discus Madness has a great selection of plecos (the main reason I went there so often). Beital's isn't bad either but they don't always have a lot of plecos sometimes.
Looks like I’m making a trip to NJ to visit a few stores lol

DarkOne
The shelldweller fry seem to be doing great. I've never seen them much bigger than when they're first hatched so this is a good sign. I've been putting crushed TCTG and microworms in the tank daily for the fry and it seems to work. There is definitely more than 10 fry and at least 4 are 1/4" long. There's seems to be a second spawn of newly hatched fry too. I don't have pics because they're very skittish and any time I get remotely close with a camera, they shoot into the shells.

DarkOne
Got some pics tonight. This is the right side of the tank. There are 2 groups of fry, on the left and right of this pic. The 3rd group is behind the group on the left in the background. There's about 5-6 back there.

2021-02-02 15.02.50-1.jpg

I was able to get most of the fry from the group on the right. There's 9 there and the one on the far right is a juvie. The one above and to the left is the female, fairly small. The males are almost twice as big.

2021-02-02 15.06.40-1.jpg

A lone newly hatched fry. Can you find him (look for his eyes)?

2021-02-02 15.02.57-1.jpg

Here's a shot of 4 males with 2 females for size comparison. The males look smaller because they're in the background.

2021-02-02 15.09.05-1.jpg

DarkOne
Sterbai spawned again a few days ago and I left the eggs in the tank. Most of the eggs have developed so I collected them and a few already hatched. About 50 eggs total.

I counted about 25 shelldweller fry/juvies today, more than I thought. There were a few newish fry too so they're still spawning.

DarkOne
I put 4 Lemon blue eyed long fins into my 40b community tank and the tetras started munching on the fins of 2 of the plecos so I moved them all to my pleco tank. The fins started growing back almost immediately.

2021-03-15 20.34.21.jpg

They're also starting to grow bristles. Looks like I have 2 males and 2 females. Perfect.

2021-03-15 20.34.17.jpg

All my plecos in the tank are nice and fat. The largest pleco is the L075 Para at around 7.5". The 2 L253 Sunshines are up to about 6" ea. The L128 Blue phantoms are growing nicely. L134s are growing but almost at full size at about 3.5". The L240 Vampire is doing great and about 4" now. The new L014 Sunshine is doing really well and have grown a bit in the month that I had him. I'd guess about 3.5" from 3" when I got him. I'm still doing 5-10g water changes daily but started doing 50% twice a week. Most of the specks you see in the pics are tiny bubbles from the moving bed filters and HOB with the wave maker pushing them around.

My shell dwellers are still spawning and there's at least 3 gens of fry groups. I would guess at least 30 fry/juvies. I might need to upgrade them to a 40b.

EBA fry are 1.5-2.5" now. I have my female BN and a few juvie plecos in there too.

2021-03-15 20.58.07-1.jpg

DarkOne
A couple of days ago, the 10g growout for my plecos started leaking and I found it around 11p. I had to shuffle some fish around and swap in another 10g for them. Looks like the bottom back and side silicone failed. It's a 10g so I'm just going to throw it out and get another one. I thought they had warranties but 14g and smaller only have a 90 day warranty and this was the newest one I got (about a year ago).

DarkOne
Not a good week for the fishes. My water heater failed Friday night sometime and I had no hot water on Sat. I didn't do any water changes Friday so some of my overcrowded tanks that rely on daily or every other day water changes had to go 3 days. I picked up a water heater Sat evening but was missing some parts to change out the old water heater. I ended up having to go to Home Depot 3 times Sunday to get parts and stuff but after 7 hrs, the new water heater was up and running. I did 75% water changes on 5 tanks and need to do a few more today as well as weekly on my display tanks.

smee82
No loses i hope.

DarkOne
smee82 said:
No loses i hope.
Nope. Most of the heavily stocked tanks have lots of bio filtration and it was definitely tested and passed. I also skipped feeding except for the fry/juvies.

DarkOne
I have pleco eggs!!! They're from my long fin blue eyed BN plecos which is surprising because they're still fairly young and small. Not a lot of eggs like my other brown BN though.

DioAquatics
DarkOne said:
I have pleco eggs!!! They're from my long fin blue eyed BN plecos which is surprising because they're still fairly young and small. Not a lot of eggs like my other brown BN though.
Nice! Save some if those long finned babies for me lol. I’m going to be putting the standard fin male lemon blue eye I got into my 75g this upcoming Saturday so I’m hoping to have babies soon too

JLeeM
DarkOne said:
I'm raising a clutch of those now myself. It's my first clutch of lemons.

DarkOne
JLeeM said:
I'm raising a clutch of those now myself. It's my first clutch of lemons.
My first clutch of brown BN eggs were about 3-5 times the size but they were also fully grown. These guys are less than a year old, maybe 9 months? I was looking for L134 eggs when I found them. The L134s are at least 18 months old and no signs but 2 are in caves all the time.

86 ssinit
Just an update on the sterbai corys I got from you. They laid eggs in the discus tank and I managed to save 5 .
C8DE43D1-13F2-4AF2-87A2-63EF85D7798D.jpeg
got them now in a fry tank and hoping they grow!!

Top Bottom