120 gallon salty build

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also i finally am getting ready to start building my gfs salty tank. I have been researching for about a month. I have most narrowed down and I am slowly getting the parts needed. So I thought I would start a build thread for it! So here goes.

First things first equipment list..
1- 120 gallon 48x24x24 (getting this weekend)
2- 40 gallon sump with refugium (already have)
3- was going to be 3 kessil a80. This will not do with a 24" tank. (have kessil)
3a- Sell Kessil a80 get stronger LEDs
3b- T5 and 3 Kessil
4- Bubble Magus curve 7 (higher bioload)
4a- Ice cap k1-160
5- Current eflux 1900 gph return pump (have already)
6- Current 1050 gph wave pumps
7- 60-80 lbs dry rock
8- 20 lbs dry rubble
9- 30 lbs live rock
10- 90lbs live sand
11- Custom stand 50x25x40.

Planned Stock List
2- clownfish
1- wrasse
1- marine betta
1- picasso triggerfish.
A lot of CUC. (Hermits, snails, urchins, and the like)
Probably others as time passes.
I want some Softy corals
And anemone for the clowns.

That's the plan. Will start posting pics as I put it all together. Plan to finish stand and start painting this weekend.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm no salty expert (I don't even have a marine tank) but I do know that you could add a few more fish. A yellow tang would be nice in there. Cant wait to see pics!!

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tangs need bigger tanks but I guess I could grow out a tang for a year or 2. I can definitely get a few more fish but I don't know what yet.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rcslade124 said:
Tangs need bigger tanks but I guess I could grow out a tang for a year or 2.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. The minimum tank size for a yellow tang is a 55. They'd have to be one of the only fish in the tank though. A kole tang, powed blue tang, purple tang and a Tomini Tang would also fit in your tank (obviously only one or two).

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Maybe a 6 foot 120 gallon. But I guess a 10 inch fish in 48 inch tanks not horrible. But they would like more room. I'm just starting so a 120 gallon for now. But it's wide not long.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can I get the dimensions?

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
48lx24wx24h

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rcslade124 said:
48lx24wx24h
That's the length of a 55 so a yellow tang or a tomini tang would work.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I will def keep that in mind.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. Only thing I’d say is a 24” tall tank is hard to maintain unless you’re tall or have long arms. I did a 60 gallon cube tank that was 24” tall and I got rid of it fast. I hated it.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm 6'4" so I'll make it work. It will stand about 5ft with stand. So even I might need a chair.

altwitch

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm so confused by this discussion - begging for clarity. I have a 120 gallon myself with identical dimensions to what I believe you are trying to describe. It's 4 ft wide by 2 ft deep by 2 ft tall. Please confirm for commenters if that's what you're working with as I'm seeing some feedback that doesn't seem to line up with your fairly clear initial post. That said, I'm a hater for 'hard rules' posters; while I respect all opinions there are a lot of variables that go into managing a tank that folks often assume. One of the biggest ones is that someone is/is-not responsible enough to re-home or LFS fish after an amount of time if they outgrow the tank; I see nothing wrong with that plan as long as you have it figgered out.

One disclaimer is I'm a freshwater, not marine guy (yet) and feel comfortable discussing tank sizing decisions, etc. but don't know marine species. In any event, sounds like an awesome project. I hope to follow in the footsteps before too long when finances from our move settle down some. Corals and anemones are cool!

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes the tank is 4ft by 2ft and 2ft tall. If I were to get a fish to grow out I would plan upgrade within a year. Tangs just get large and active swimmers. But it's my gfs dream fish. So I might have to get one. I am trying to do this tank right from the start. Nothing left out. Pics to come this weekend!

Marsh980

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi, I look forward to following your build/aquarium thread. I'm too starting my first saltwater tank and currently waiting for the system to arrive. Totally agree about trying to get it right from day 1 and not rush any of the important first key steps.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I personally think you’d be fine with a yellow tang. I had a powder brown for years in my 75 gallon. He was completely happy.
You can usually tell by behavior if they are stressed out. Get a smaller one to start and see how it grows into the 120. By all means if you want to upgrade I’ll live vicariously through your tank with only a hint of jealousy.

https://m.liveaquaria.com/product/392/?pcatid=392

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Pulled the plug... Here's the setup on stand with the 40 gallon breeder sump... Coming together nicely!
IMG_20200216_163706.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom